Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please get that dog out of a war zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
1 minute to Horizon: Forbidden West gameplay reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLR5gaQNQBk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haveblue posted:

1 minute to Horizon: Forbidden West gameplay reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLR5gaQNQBk

Oh poo poo turns out it's the same as the first one

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looks awesome. Exactly what I want.

stev posted:

Oh poo poo turns out it's the same as the first one

lol what did you expect?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The mask is off. Everyone that works at Sony is actually a hologram.

(this game is very pretty)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mutata posted:

lol what did you expect?

It's not a bad thing. I just find it amusing when they try to hype gameplay reveals when the gameplay is an entirely known quantity.

Looks fun. I should finish the first one some time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with either A) the wild west chaos generated by a crumbling empire and various warlords and local power structures arising in its wake or B) the newly established hegemonic order having to deal with the guerilla hit and run tactics they previously used being employed against them by imperial remnants and palpatine's operation cinder gladio.

TFA kinda skipped right over both of these.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
welp, that's a far cry game I can say that for sure

Orv
May 4, 2011

Play posted:

welp, that's a far cry game I can say that for sure

Actually this one might be marginally different due to it being a mostly urban environment rather than a rural or countryside one as they have been since forever.

That said, even as someone who enjoys a co-op mindless shootymans do objective game, 5 had a lot of dumb bullshit and I really hope they learned from the stuff that absolutely no one liked.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Am I the only one who can't see that Far Cry video?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sonic collection better have drop dash

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mutata posted:

Am I the only one who can't see that Far Cry video?

It got rehosted here
https://files.fm/u/w3unc3dht#/view/rxxrmg7zq

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

E: It's kind of a little thing but I really don't like the first-person camera pulling out to third when you use that backpack move, especially for a series which kind of started off advertising itself as super immersive with FC2.

EE: I def looks like a far cry game and def looks like a last-gen game too.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 28, 2021

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

raditts posted:

It's weird to me when they pick random DQ titles to give spruced up remakes to, like how only DQ5 got a 3D remake on PS2. I mean sure, DQ3 is the only one of the original trilogy that's remotely worth playing in the year 2021, but they could add enough QoL improvements to the first two to make a solid trilogy package!

DQ2 is really good. All I really needed to play the NES version recently was a world map and the ability to take screenshots of hints from NPCs.

DQ1 is a nice beginner’s RPG, but the problem is that even with the remakes increasing the experience you get from enemies, there are several points where you have no choice but to grind to be able to progress. The later games have a linear early game that doesn’t require much grinding and then give you more freedom, with multiple objectives you can try. If you’re stuck you can do something else and come back when you’re stronger.

The remakes go like this:
- SNES: DQV - DQI&II
- SNES: DQVI - DQIII
- PS1: DQVII - DQIV
- PS2: DQVIII - DQV
However, after DQIV the remakes weren’t based on the latest game. The DQV remake came out before VIII and wasn’t using the same engine by Level-5. It’s closer to the PS1 games with 3D models instead of really well animated sprites.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I feel pretty confident predicting the super switch isn't gonna be 4k or dlss or have any kind of modern technology in it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"4K" is easy since it's just a bullet point on a box to be able to ~output~ the 4K resolution itself, hell every $50 android tv box can ~output~ 4K, including the new android tv-based chromecast. I mean they can't render 3D games at 4K unless they're like Crossy Road or something, but they sure can output it.

DLSS is basically free resolution since you could still run the games at 720p~ or whatever low resolution you can get them running at and just DLSS it up to 4K and BAM you can tell people they're playing games in 4K. Sure there are artifacts but it can look surprisingly good. For example, here's CONTROL running at 720p DLSSed up to 4K:

I mean, that's pretty good huh? Well it's not really FREE, as it requires more silicon, but that silicon really punches above it's weight.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 28, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

stev posted:

I don't think so either but Nintendo really needs to get on board with backwards compatibility and stick with the framework they have now. The Switch is the first Nintendo console to have a robust third party library since the SNES and I want them to learn the right lessons from that.

I'd much rather a Switch 2 or a Switch Pro that did the exact same thing but with beefier hardware than see another Wii U situation.

unless I'm mistaken, haven't last two nintendo consoles before the switch had better backwards compatibility with at least their direct predecessors than any other console since the OG PS3? That's not even counting handhelds.

That loving Sned posted:

DQ2 is really good. All I really needed to play the NES version recently was a world map and the ability to take screenshots of hints from NPCs.

DQ2 is my least favorite DQ game by far, it was only just tolerable for me even with the QOL improvements of the mobile version.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 28, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dying Light 2's been given a release date: December 7th. So it will probably feature at this year's E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJAAy7tPhE

This game had a bit of trouble because Chris Avellone had been involved in the game, then the developers realized he was a huge piece of poo poo and cut ties, so I'm not sure how the story has ended up. But the story wasn't really the highlight of the first game to begin with, so much as "what if Dead Island was actually fun to play"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine a DLSS upscale from 720p to 2160p would look anything but garbage. I use DLSS on my PC, and while it's clearly inferior to native rendering, it does a pretty good job upscaling. But setting it too high (so the real rendering resolution too low) causes all kinds of weird artifacts that tend to be pretty pronounced in movement to appear.

I'm also not convinced it will have any DLSS at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Communist Thoughts posted:

I feel pretty confident predicting the super switch isn't gonna be 4k or dlss or have any kind of modern technology in it

Is the super switch different from the new larger switch with an OLED screen?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Play posted:

It will probably also not have an OLED screen. :yayclod:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine a DLSS upscale from 720p to 2160p would look anything but garbage.
lol

Of course there are weird artifacts. But it's not like Nintendo would care.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

raditts posted:

DQ2 is my least favorite DQ game by far, it was only just tolerable for me even with the QOL improvements of the mobile version.

Fair enough. I was surprised how well it held up compared to most other 8-bit RPGs like Final Fantasy and Mother. I quite like how it isn’t story driven, so you’re always exploring and fighting.

FF1 is the only one that isn’t completely ridiculous, but it helps to know what jobs are good/broken, who can use equipment before you buy it, and a bunch of the good and bad glitches.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Play posted:

How many are there? I thought there was just the Switch and then the Lite. Is there a third version that's bigger than both?

stev posted:

I don't think so either but Nintendo really needs to get on board with backwards compatibility and stick with the framework they have now. The Switch is the first Nintendo console to have a robust third party library since the SNES and I want them to learn the right lessons from that.

I'd much rather a Switch 2 or a Switch Pro that did the exact same thing but with beefier hardware than see another Wii U situation.

This is what's made me anxious about Nintendo hardware, is the media format changes and also the control gimmicks that make backwards compatibility so difficult. I hope that they stick with the Switch format and just keep improving and updating the hardware over time, especially since it seems to be such a success for them and apparently they completely dominate the market in Japan now. Even after the Switch Pro and they move onto a proper new console I hope it's just the Switch 2 and fully backwards compatible. They have a solid design that works in the living room and on the go with a traditional control setup that finally allows third parties to port to their hardware, I hope they don't mess up in the future.

I also know they've brought some older games back (like Mario Sunshine 1 & 2) and it might seem a stretch now but I really hope Mario Strikers Charged (or a sequel) finds its way to Switch sometime because that game was so fun.

Has their online service improved in regards to buying digital games? I think people on older consoles got screwed over but is there a proper system now that will hopefully carry over to future hardware?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

How many are there? I thought there was just the Switch and then the Lite. Is there a third version that's bigger than both?

It's a rumored hardware upgrade, that's been rumored since the original was released but if you say it's coming soon enough times eventually you'll be right!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gonna will this thing into announcement with the sheer power of clickbait

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hate that youtube has decided people making stupid faces at the camera is what gets into your recommended feed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I genuinely hope Whoever programmed the thumbnail algorithm to force people to make stupid faces dies slowly and horribly of natural causes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You won't believe what happened to the Youtube algorithm programmer! (It's not what you expect)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Three of those are the same guy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they're all me

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not gonna do the legwork cause it'd probably involve some really annoying googling but I'd love to know when the very first widely circulated Switch Pro rumor was, in relation to the launch of the Switch. Bets on less than a year.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Orv posted:

I'm not gonna do the legwork cause it'd probably involve some really annoying googling but I'd love to know when the very first widely circulated Switch Pro rumor was, in relation to the launch of the Switch. Bets on less than a year.

There have been switch pro rumors since the thing was announced, waiting until after launch would be ridiculous.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unreal_One posted:

There have been switch pro rumors since the thing was announced, waiting until after launch would be ridiculous.

:allears: Of course there were.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
To play Devil's Advocate, it does seem likely based on Nintendo's past with the DS/3DS/New 3DS/XL/2D XL Turbo Edition/Hyper 3DS XXL Final Form or whatever that a hardware revision would be in the cards eventually.
I guess it comes down to wherever or not Nintendo see's Switch as a console or handheld, because their consoles don't often get revision treatment (although it did happen with the NES/Famicom and Wii I guess)

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's extremely likely to happen at some near-future point, it's just also extremely funny that nerds have been convincing themselves it's going to happen RIGHT NOW, monthly, for years now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Orv posted:

It's extremely likely to happen at some near-future point, it's just also extremely funny that nerds have been convincing themselves it's going to happen RIGHT NOW, monthly, for years now.

Oh absolutely, that part is loving hilarious

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orv posted:

Oh we're talking about Silent Hill?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dreamcast 2 announcement any day now baby!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely hope Whoever programmed the thumbnail algorithm to force people to make stupid faces dies slowly and horribly of natural causes.