Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

The what now

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

They should just use stock photos. Like, I whipped this up in 5 minutes for free:

FuturePastNow posted:

when the drone outranks you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
good lord my memory sucks

content:
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1398206602403065856?s=20
https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1398197193228488706?s=20

waifu card to whom it may concern

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hardware goons, I've just been casually following a discord server with a stock notification bot but otherwise not trying very hard to get a new graphics card, though I'd really like one. With the 30 TI series upon us, will this be a good opportunity to snatch one? What will be the best way to get in on the ground floor of the new SKUs? Without camping in line at a retail store, preferably.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hardware goons, I've just been casually following a discord server with a stock notification bot but otherwise not trying very hard to get a new graphics card, though I'd really like one. With the 30 TI series upon us, will this be a good opportunity to snatch one? What will be the best way to get in on the ground floor of the new SKUs? Without camping in line at a retail store, preferably.

not a dig at you but lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

not a dig at you but lol

Yeah I figured "lol" might be an answer but I hoped that with new products shipping maybe there would be a way to get in on a launch surge or something.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah if you're not there the exact moment it drops you don't stand a chance in hell. Probably not even then but at least you can probbaly go to EVGA's site and click Notify me and get your name on that list, as long as you don't put yourself down for the cheapest model.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

if you're going to stay online you should be playing the shuffle everyday and trying for best buy every other week, it's the least you can do

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition-pictured

3080ti FE uses the 3080 cooler, not the thicc 3090 cooler if anyone was wondering

I suppose that's a good thing for SFF builders who absolutely need a 2 slot card
I hope they'll bump the price so it can be sold around here too. I don't mind paying extra for non-gaming looks and feel.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Unless you rent a bot, your choices are poopsocking a microcenter or playing the shuffle lottery.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Learn the ways of the Zotac

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Saw this on reddit and loving lol:

https://i.imgur.com/I3zZKvt.mp4

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It doesn't help you but I forgot about the doctors of video games until you posted. I wonder if there are any hot dog days left.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Having a step up enabled card and getting in the 3080ti step up line asap is probably your best bet.

If they are LHR cards only I think that will keep the retail market mostly to True Gamers Only and True Scalpers Selling to True Gamers only, which is a smaller market than the entire GPU market.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I slotted in the GTX 970 a goon graciously sent me to test before putting in a friend's rig, and everything ran great except for this weird noise in Control:

This is medium at 1080p, no ray tracing or anything obviously. I'm assuming this isn't card-side since Cyberpunk and other things ran perfectly fine, what the heck is going on here?

Edit: lol I only just noticed the 11% CPU utilization

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 29, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Control is just like that, their engine uses stochastic shading tricks that stick out sometimes

I assume it's worse on lower settings where they dial back the number of samples

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What’s the recommended evga step up card and retailer? Adorama gt 210?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

Control is just like that, their engine uses stochastic shading tricks that stick out sometimes

I assume it's worse on lower settings where they dial back the number of samples

Well that's disappointing but good to know. The same GPU also ran Baldur's Gate 3 at 1440p on max settings and hit a consistent 45-50 FPS, it's a great little card (I say "little" as if it isn't rated for the same TDP as my 3070)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Butt Discussin posted:

What’s the recommended evga step up card and retailer? Adorama gt 210?

Only the version that ends in -kr, but yeah.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
For my 3090 Strix I'm still having issues with screen tearing with older games, such as ioQuake3 and Cod: Infinite Warfare (single-player).

My monitor resolution is set to 1080p and supports 60hz refresh rate. I went into the Nvidia control panel and put the global setting for the maximum refresh rate to 57 hz, and in the COD game it allows refresh to be set to 60hm or 59.9hz. But I still see the tearing in both games. I also toggled the vsync in game and with the Nvidia settings with no effect on the tearing.

After doing another GIS I see the ioQuake3 has a max fps setting, which I'll experiment with later this evening. But I already tried the max refresh setting in the CoD game with no effect.

To solve the tearing problem for older games do I need to buy a monitor/TV with a faster refresh rate? Or is there some other setting I'm missing? I have plans to buy an LG OLED soon, just not ready to purchase, yet.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My friend's Asus ROG Strix 1070 has a fan crapping out, what are his options for solid aftermarket cooling now that a Voodoo 2 costs $1,000?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Capping framerate below refresh rate only works on monitors with VRR. Without VRR you have either tearing or high latency. With VRR you want to cap framerate below refresh rate and use vsync to catch any errant fast frames. Not sure why you're seeing tearing with vsync on, maybe because of the messing with refresh rate you did.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

My friend's Asus ROG Strix 1070 has a fan crapping out, what are his options for solid aftermarket cooling now that a Voodoo 2 costs $1,000?

You can usually just figure out the model number of the fan by unscrewing it, and screwing in a new fan. Most fans are the same three screws to mount, but the make sure the fan diameter and the solderless plug look the same.

Here's an example, check on eBay as well:

https://amazon.com/inRobert-T129215SU-Graphics-GTX980Ti-Fan-3pcs/dp/B07BN2WFJZ/

edit 2: Actually in the listing it says that will specifically work for the strix 1070, so I guess that's the one you'll want. I'm sure YouTube has plenty of walkthroughs for taking off the shroud and swapping those

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 29, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

If it's just one of the fans, it might be possible to just replace the fan itself by taking it off and looking at the exact part number.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

SplitSoul posted:

Deshroud and zip tie a few 120mm fans to it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SplitSoul posted:

I would recommend deshrouding it and sticking some Noctuas on instead.

e: lol

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

:lol:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The current state of the GPU market summed up in posts : a guy is using a $3400 3090 to drive a $100 1080p 60hz monitor, but that's not nearly as funny as the guy who thinks he can actually buy an upcoming GPU.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks, that was actually what we landed on in the meantime. We looked briefly at a new card, then an older model, and :lmao:.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

The current state of the GPU market summed up in posts : a guy is using a $3400 3090 to drive a $100 1080p 60hz monitor, but that's not nearly as funny as the guy who thinks he can actually buy an upcoming GPU.

3090 might almost be able to play Cyberpunk at 1080p60 on max raytracing, right?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

K8.0 posted:

lol it's true

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

3090 might almost be able to play Cyberpunk at 1080p60 on max raytracing, right?

I mean, yeah? With DLSS quality at 3440x1440 I get 50-60 FPS on RT Psycho

Going down to 1080p would probably let you turn DLSS off entirely and still keep around 60FPS

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

I slotted in the GTX 970 a goon graciously sent me to test before putting in a friend's rig, and everything ran great except for this weird noise in Control:

This is medium at 1080p, no ray tracing or anything obviously. I'm assuming this isn't card-side since Cyberpunk and other things ran perfectly fine, what the heck is going on here?

Edit: lol I only just noticed the 11% CPU utilization

what kind of fps you getting in control? would like to know how a 970 performs when it's not cpu/ram limited ?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

what kind of fps you getting in control? would like to know how a 970 performs when it's not cpu/ram limited ?

VSYNC is totally hosed up for some reason and was locking me in at 30 FPS (I do not have a 30 hertz monitor), but uncapping that led to a solid 50-60 FPS. I was getting 60 in that hallway and closer to 50 with enemies on screen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

change my name posted:

VSYNC is totally hosed up for some reason and was locking me in at 30 FPS (I do not have a 30 hertz monitor), but uncapping that led to a solid 50-60 FPS. I was getting 60 in that hallway and closer to 50 with enemies on screen.

thanks. maybe there isn't much point in getting a new PC w/o a new card.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

thanks. maybe there isn't much point in getting a new PC w/o a new card.

That’s where I’m at. A gpu would be a big upgrade to my current system. A new system would not be a big upgrade without the video card, just kinda nice.

But not 1000 bucks nice.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Shipon posted:

I mean, yeah? With DLSS quality at 3440x1440 I get 50-60 FPS on RT Psycho

Going down to 1080p would probably let you turn DLSS off entirely and still keep around 60FPS

I actually gave this a shot because my gaming display is a 2560x1440@144 monitor, but I have a 1080 TV that only accepts up to 60 Hz input. It was shortly after the game launched, but I was still seeing dips at high noon when global illumination kicked in during crowded city areas. It never dropped below 60 at night or indoors, though. Seems to be about the same as 1440 with DLSS since it is essentially rendering at 960p instead, assuming you use DLSS quality, and that isn't too far off from 1080.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
when LTT cranked a 3090 to psycho, RT reflections specifically (iirc it was 4x reflections?) the 3090 was barely making it to 60. but i mean that game runs like poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

But not 1000 bucks nice.

It's obviously not top of the line hardware and no PC component is going to be made in similar quantities, but kinda nutty when you hear the PS5, an all in one package, is close to breaking even at $500.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah because you're going to be paying Sony $70 for their first party games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Yeah because you're going to be paying Sony $70 for their first party games

Not related to breaking even at production, afaik.