Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

president caitlyn jenner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

president caitlyn jenner
i'm doing my part by recalling newsom and voting

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The fact I had to go 'who the gently caress is dewine?' is all the proof I need he's going no where

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
i heard at brunch that trump is going to be arrested any second now by the ny district attorney so no i dont think he will win :smug: mtg tho

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My dream Trump scenario is a stroke that takes his voice. I wish him a few good years of watching his friends turn on him.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My dream Trump scenario is a stroke that takes his voice. I wish him a few good years of watching his friends turn on him.

best case is a stroke that fucks with his vocabulary and changes every name he says to some dead 80's real estate developer so he keeps calling biden Stan chera

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
matt christman has talked about this on his vlogs a few times and he's right. a trump is a unique set. he didn't run as a rich guy, he didn't run as a politican, he ran as a guy who wants to pwn all the voters enemies for perceived slights and own all the libs and bring back da jobs. he had the innate skill of using the grotesque medial lens and attention for a positive feedback loop pulling back the curtain and basking in it's brokenness. and a lot of name recognition. you can be angry, you can say you want to own da libs, but you need charisma to own it sincerely and ability to play the spectacle game; and enough energy for the media to reasonant and amplify it back tenfold to your benefit. they need not to seem high brow and scolding or false-politican faced.

MTG fits a lot of those, and the big media is definitely powering her up by going "omfg did u hear what she said to AOC??? wow unbelievable breach of decorum". desantis comes off too much as elite politician but fits a good amount. most everyone else named fails them bitterly

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

cumshitter posted:

best case is a stroke that fucks with his vocabulary and changes every name he says to some dead 80's real estate developer so he keeps calling biden Stan chera

Trump's brain ending up worse than Biden's would be the cherry on top.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

My very boring prediction is that it's going to be Pence, in a manner really similar to when Romney got the nod in 2012 by being a lot of people's 2nd or 3rd choice.

He'll get an accidental assist from Trump, who never endorses him, as Trump basks in media attention about a possible run for way too long before declaring he won't run, and starting the cycle up again as every other candidate then seeks his endorsement.

By the time he actually gives an endorsement, if he ever does, it'll be a LeBron to Miami special on Fox News and it'll either be so late in the game that it won't actually matter or it'll probably be a double endorsement like the NYT did for the Dems in 2020.

Outside chance that some other GOP stuffed suit gets it too, but regardless, it's gonna be absolutely hilarious.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xaris posted:

matt christman has talked about this on his vlogs a few times and he's right. a trump is a unique set. he didn't run as a rich guy, he didn't run as a politican, he ran as a guy who wants to pwn all the voters enemies for perceived slights and own all the libs and bring back da jobs. he had the innate skill of using the grotesque medial lens and attention for a positive feedback loop pulling back the curtain and basking in it's brokenness. and a lot of name recognition. you can be angry, you can say you want to own da libs, but you need charisma to own it sincerely and ability to play the spectacle game; and enough energy for the media to reasonant and amplify it back tenfold to your benefit. they need not to seem high brow and scolding or false-politican faced.

MTG fits a lot of those, and the big media is definitely powering her up by going "omfg did u hear what she said to AOC??? wow unbelievable breach of decorum". desantis comes off too much as elite politician but fits a good amount. most everyone else named fails them bitterly

yeah, a lot of the trump strategy was word of mouth because he was great at getting both dems saying to each other "oh my god did u hear..." and chuds saying to each other "lol did u hear..." then the arguments ensued and any press is good press

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
DeSantis wears an awful lot of his stupid on his face, not like tom cotton-level but it's probably not helpful for 2024

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Schmoe Cwead posted:

yeah, a lot of the trump strategy was word of mouth because he was great at getting both dems saying to each other "oh my god did u hear..." and chuds saying to each other "lol did u hear..." then the arguments ensued and any press is good press

Something that doesn't get talked about enough in relation to Trump's popularity with the GOP is how he really leaned in to the very American expectation that no one who seeks the presidency can be seen to want it too much, despite the vast majority of nominees having planned presidential runs since high school.

Politicians have to do this weird song and dance when they're planning to run where they start out saying that they're not thinking about running right now but carefully leaving open a little sliver of possibility that they might in the future.

Then, once it gets closer to the election, they start making noise about how they're feeling a calling, specifically evoking religious connotations without explicitly saying that God told them to run. They'll talk about how they're basically being drafted to run, and if that's what the people want, well then maybe it's something to think about.

That all goes on for months in a carefully choreographed way until they finally announce, with all the pomp and circumstance possible, that they've come to the grave conclusion that they must run for President.

Trump just instinctively leaned into that not wanting it bullshit because even up to the point where he secured the nomination, he really didn't give a poo poo if he got it so long as he could keep reveling in the attention and adoration.

No other politician is really ever going to be able to do that like he did, because the collective stink of having spent years in elected office means everyone knows they want the presidency, even if they're willing to play along because everyone involved in primary politics understands the game being played.

I just don't see anyone currently being floated for the nomination having that same air about them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Azathoth posted:

Something that doesn't get talked about enough in relation to Trump's popularity with the GOP is how he really leaned in to the very American expectation that no one who seeks the presidency can be seen to want it too much, despite the vast majority of nominees having planned presidential runs since high school.
No other politician is really ever going to be able to do that like he did, because the collective stink of having spent years in elected office means everyone knows they want the presidency, even if they're willing to play along because everyone involved in primary politics understands the game being played.

I just don't see anyone currently being floated for the nomination having that same air about them.

yeah it's a good point and sort of what i was going for there in my last bit. trump felt authentic, at least to the base he was trying to capture. all the buttigigs, the warrens, the romneys, the jebs, the cruzs, etc all stink and have the smell of sad loser desperation and even false-facedness to them.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
It's gonna be MTG when Kamala loses in the general.

Then China and the US recreate the opening cinematic to Fallout.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Politicians have to do this weird song and dance when they're planning to run where they start out saying that they're not thinking about running right now but carefully leaving open a little sliver of possibility that they might in the future.

Then, once it gets closer to the election, they start making noise about how they're feeling a calling, specifically evoking religious connotations without explicitly saying that God told them to run. They'll talk about how they're basically being drafted to run, and if that's what the people want, well then maybe it's something to think about.

That all goes on for months in a carefully choreographed way until they finally announce, with all the pomp and circumstance possible, that they've come to the grave conclusion that they must run for President.

Trump just instinctively leaned into that not wanting it bullshit because even up to the point where he secured the nomination, he really didn't give a poo poo if he got it so long as he could keep reveling in the attention and adoration.

trump talked about wanting to be the president for decades before it actually happened

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

trump talked about wanting to be the president for decades before it actually happened

Oh absolutely, I phrased it poorly in that I didn't mean to imply he never wanted to be president and actually got drafted, he absolutely wanted that poo poo as much as any of the other psychopaths running. He just eventually got to the point where he legit didn't care if he won, so long as he could keep getting the attention and keep tearing down all of his enemies.

It's why his attacks worked so well. He could just lay into someone else in a way that they couldn't, because he wasn't afraid of losing poo poo and alienating voters. All he cared about was feeding his ego and it turns out, that registers as "authenticity" to voters.

The only other politicians who tried it always had the stink of desperation in their attacks, like a hitter in a slump in baseball taking increasingly wild swings trying to get some kind of contact, Christie punking out Rubio being the classic example. But Trump didn't give a poo poo, so he got up on stage and said Mitt Romney sold guns to the Zetas and Lindsey Graham killed a hooker in 1978.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
And like Ted "Trump said my dad killed JFK" Cruz they line up behind him anyways. Imagine being in a place where you can slam the most powerful people in the US to their face and they still defend you to the death

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

LegoMan posted:

And like Ted "Trump said my dad killed JFK" Cruz they line up behind him anyways. Imagine being in a place where you can slam the most powerful people in the US to their face and they still defend you to the death

And said their wives were ugly even I still just can't believe that

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Spinz posted:

And said their wives were ugly even I still just can't believe that

It's the funniest thing about Cruz. Trump insulted his wife, he tried to act like a No-Trumper and then we all see him calling people to vote for Trump.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Jay-V posted:

i heard at brunch that trump is going to be arrested any second now by the ny district attorney so no i dont think he will win :smug: mtg tho

brunch crew is a waste

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

LegoMan posted:

trump supporters would run around with cruz's head on a stake,

still can't figure out what percent of trump was special
or what percent was him fitting the wants of his supporters.

Either way online, I go fishing for trump supporters by saying:
You're a fake trump supporter if you haven't given all your money to trump
and lazy if you're not working a 3rd job to support him

Cuz gently caress trump supporters
Bankrupt their asses or make them feel impotent.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
if trump weren"t running boebrrt would be the stand out hottie in the race, cmv

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah, GOP voters are looking for candidates in the mold of Trump: blonde fuckers that wanna bang their daughters so it would have to be Hulk Hogan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mustached Demon posted:

The fact I had to go 'who the gently caress is dewine?' is all the proof I need he's going no where

Wow! President less-interesting Kasich!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

trump is powerless without Twitter he can’t campaign on a Wordpress blog like he did in 2016

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
imo either trump keels over before 2024 or hes the nominee

inshallah

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i said this in another thread but MTG's end game is to get kicked out of congress this year and get into the primary for georgia senate or governor.

She'd lose either of thsoe races in the general, but maybe they'd be close enough for her to scream and shout and pull another dominion.

Either way she's grift train royalty until she implodes like palin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

she’s probably going to be the gop VP candidate

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

she’s probably going to be the gop VP candidate

a hotwife scandal machine?

nah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

a hotwife scandal machine?

nah

do you know who the president is ?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

even he was buttressed was an evangelical wet sponge

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

euphronius posted:

Trymo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

exactly

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MTGs last stab at national relevance will be when a flagging primary challenger in 2024 tries to buy a news cycle by announcing her as his running mate, ala cruz and fiorina

except instead of a slipper, wet fish hand shake she'll be banging a crossfit trainer on the stage

susan collins will be concerned

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I can't believe MTG is dumb enough to leave the job where she gets to own libs and cash paychecks for one with actual responsibility.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Xaris posted:

Trump was also viewed as more moderate than the rest of the gop field in 2016. He kept promising things like cheap healthcare for all etc.

Not sure any of the other gop ghouls could pull that off in 2024.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Oh hell yeah getting in on the ground of another primary thread

I remember back when there was a primary thread about 2012...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that was my favorite tag
rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

even he was buttressed was an evangelical wet sponge

Everyone figured out he was utterly useless and the evangelical vote is worthless now. He brought nothing to the reelection, he was a dead weight if anything and really hosed it all up with his pink eye fly in the hair disaster against charisma void kamala. The gop is well aware and all in on the fact that the neoconservative and tea party ideology is now toxic. Only fascist demigoguery is of value to their voting base.