Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The most logical ultimate move for him to develop would be Quirk Synthesis where he merges properties of copied quirks together, like if he could mix Todoroki's ice with Bakugo's explosions to basically make plastic explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Merging a flight quirk of some kind with Kirishima/Tetsutetsu would be fun too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Monoma having monomania is cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

The most logical ultimate move for him to develop would be Quirk Synthesis where he merges properties of copied quirks together, like if he could mix Todoroki's ice with Bakugo's explosions to basically make plastic explosives.

Monoma copies both bakugo and mina to make acid explosions. Or acid that explodes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

How am I just now realizing that Deku isn't AFO's son, it's Monoma.

Also explains why he hates class 1-A so much.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

christmas boots posted:

It depends on the quirk, but I could see it happening in some cases. Suppose you have the same quirk your whole life, and you latch on to a preconceived notion of what it is and what it can do early on. In that case, you might be limited in your thinking about what you can do with it or how it can be used. The advantage someone like Monoma potentially brings is that he has no preexisting box to work against. In theory, he could use quirks in ways that might never have occurred to the original user because he doesn't "know" he can't use them that way.

Although from what we've seen, the UA teachers try to encourage this kind of thinking anyway, making Monoma a bit redundant. It would be cool to use him that way, though.

This.

But also, I was envisioning him developing a better sense for how quirks work and being able to detect subtle things about them simply from having experienced dozens/hundreds of different quirks. The best analogy I can think of is how wine experts can tell a lot about a wine just from a blind taste of it.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
rewatched last weeks episode again now. im still so unreasonably pissed at this lol

all might and deku being all "woooow, so cool and surprising" when bakugo saved earphone girl from the lizard. how was that any different from when bakugo used himself as bait to distract all might back when he and deku were fighting him? he even did the same "give teammate grenade" gimmick, only it was his whole gauntlet deal. and then ofc theres the copy guy being all "woooow, he changed so much and hes so mature now", gravity girl being like "she really believes them!", kirishima and electric guy being like "yup, never seen this before" and "it must be because he was in a band! :buddy:" (give me a break), the other class being surprised is one thing (altho he was really not that different in that tournament team part either back at the festival when he beat the copy guy) but whats with all might and deku pretending there was any growth? it screams like the writer wants to tell us that there is an evolution in his character, but when you actually observe whats happening, nothing changed at all. this could have been a chance for him to get some sort of interesting obstacle and hardship for a change, not to mention give more of a chance for every1 in the team exercise on both sides to shine, and instead it was just a really deflating and underwhelming waste of time.

i hope tomorrows episode makes up for this somehow, tho i dont see how. and again the opposing class feels like the ppl whose odds are stacked against them going in, and to add salt to injury their now playing for, at best, a draw. just baffling writing

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Uh, no offense but it seems like you just don't like Bakugo and don't want to acknowledge him growing and changing as a character. Him giving the teammates grenades is not growth and him agreeing to be bait in the All Might fight was under pretty extreme duress so I don't think we could really say he learned anything from that particular instance either. The growth is that his plan going in was "I'm going to stick with you guys so that if necessary, I can save you, and equally if necessary, you can save me." Yes, he was abrasive about it but he wasn't so focused on beating the enemy team by himself that he ignored his teammates potentially being in danger and also he acknowledged that he couldn't do it by himself and would have to trust that his teammates were capable and had his back.

That's a pretty big change for Bakugo who has previously preferred not to rely on anybody and is much more interested in fighting than protecting an objective (see him leaving Iida to defend the bomb in their very first team exercise and refusing to work together). He was required to work with other people in the cavalry battle in the Sports Festival but like, Kirishima convinced him to let him on his team by just saying "I'm strong enough that if I get clipped by your blasts, it won't hurt me." That's basically just Kirishima convincing him that he won't be a burden. Even when Sero yanked Bakugo back after he jumped for Monoma's headbands, that wasn't something Bakugo planned or expected him to do. Bakugo seemed to have just planned to blast himself back to the team but was too blind with rage to realize how close to the ground he was cutting it, so Sero stepped in on his own initiative.

Does this make Bakugo suddenly a nice and fully redeemed character? No. And it wasn't supposed to. But it's definitely character growth for him and the class isn't sucking his dick by recognizing it. It's pretty obvious that 1-B's entire plan was "Bakugo will probably charge straight for us, wanting to take us all on by himself because he's powerful but arrogant. That'll be a hard fight but once we take him out, we can focus on the other three." Him actually working with his team voluntarily throws their entire plan into chaos and they don't recover.

This is the exact conversation All Might had with Bakugo and Deku after their fight post-Provisional License exam. Bakugo focused too much on winning fights instead of saving others and Deku focused too much on saving others instead of winning fights. Deku's is the kinder approach, but it's left him with a broken body. All Might told them they needed to find a balance. Win by saving others and save others by winning. Bakugo's learned that lesson and uhhhh Deku's still working on it, but it's fine.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
bakugo is obviously undeniably an rear end in a top hat but i thought he was a good foil for the mc and i liked when he beat deku that one time last season, that was pretty sweet. i went to recheck the moment you're talking about w/ sero and its hard for me to interpret it as bakugo being "suicidal" and not giving a poo poo if he wins or not/not realizing he might lose. my read is that he was expecting on sero to get him back, in fact sero says "you were supposed to say when you jump" so i read it more as him thinking "see when i jump and then grab me, i dont need to tell you poo poo". this doesnt feel meaningfully different from him going after the welding guy and then having the sugar guy break him out of a pinch and playing clean up after him. it just looks like the exact same thing to me, 50 or so episodes later, w/ people acting surprised ab it. i also dont get what you mean when you talk about being in extreme duress (and it was an exam, its not like he was actually fighting for his life). if he in duress is gonna act in teamwork w/ the classmate he likely has the most complicated relationship w/, then why is it character growth when he does it w/ 3 other people later?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

"Under extreme duress" as in it's that or fail his final exam, not as in life or death, although with Bakugo's perfectionism, he probably considers that to be about the same. This competition is probably graded but wouldn't be anywhere near as important as his finals so it's the difference between agreeing to do something because you're backed into a corner and out of options and facing major consequences vs doing something voluntarily and with no real fuss for pretty low stakes.

I did forget about Sero's line though so I'll give you that.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
People keep saying the next fight has no stakes, but it totally does.

Shinsou needs a good showing to get into the Hero course, and losing by two fights would be devastating for class B's morale.

I mean, this means the stakes have me rooting for them instead of Deku's team, but it's stakes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was gonna effort post about Bakugo but instead I'll just say Bakugo/Deku vs All Might was pretty much "these kids' insecurities are getting in their way: the fight" and was supposed to showcase how dumb and stubborn they both were being in their adoration of All Might. Bakugo broke himself because he refused to have his battle strategy challenged and Deku refused to consider the possibility that maybe you just don't run away from the threat in front of you. Neither of em had a great showing.

This recent team fight was just to show how effortlessly Bakugo can take point on a team, but the real improvement wasn't just him giving the grenades to his team but his trusting that they'll deliver in what they needed to. Early series Bakugo would have told Jiro she wasn't necessary and just to watch him solo the fight. Instead he knew she'd find everything and the rest of the team would have his back when he needed. The big dumb angry idiot kid CAN trust, even if it looks/sounds/feels like he can't. His personality sucks rear end but he can do his part.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Bakugo nuking cum-boy without stopping the chase is an insane display of power and agility. AND he even held back in his attacks.

Shinjobi posted:

This recent team fight was just to show how effortlessly Bakugo can take point on a team, but the real improvement wasn't just him giving the grenades to his team but his trusting that they'll deliver in what they needed to. Early series Bakugo would have told Jiro she wasn't necessary and just to watch him solo the fight. Instead he knew she'd find everything and the rest of the team would have his back when he needed. The big dumb angry idiot kid CAN trust, even if it looks/sounds/feels like he can't. His personality sucks rear end but he can do his part.
Yeah if he ever becomes level headed and less like Endeavor stubborn/crazy, he could easily be #1 of Class A and the school.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The next episode is out and with it, by far the biggest plot point of this entire arc. Deku is going to be accumulating more quirks. It's a controversial plot point but I don't hate it. It's a huge power up for Deku though, moreso than just increasing levels of brute strength. I also really like how they animated Black Whip with the blue outline. Looks better than it did in manga greyscale.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I prefer the manga version myself.

This is a big love it or hate it moment in the series. If anyone is feeling apprehensive, as a manga reader I'll just say that I feel that Horikoshi does justify this twist in the future and Black Whip goes on to be one of the coolest quirks in the whole series.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

CuwiKhons posted:

The next episode is out and with it, by far the biggest plot point of this entire arc. Deku is going to be accumulating more quirks. It's a controversial plot point but I don't hate it. It's a huge power up for Deku though, moreso than just increasing levels of brute strength. I also really like how they animated Black Whip with the blue outline. Looks better than it did in manga greyscale.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna piss off Bakugo even more, so I'm here for it.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
Last time I said the most important part of the episode was that Jirou is not a cat.

This week I believe the most important part of the episode is that the cameraman cannot be bothered to lower the camera to Jirou's short height, so she must leap in the air to say her line.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, this is what I’ve been waiting to see all season. It makes sense that One for All, a power transferred throughout hero society, would have the Quirks of other users stored in there.

Uraraka putting herself out for Deku is a really cool thing from this chapter. Things really start to escalate from here

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It get mentioned that Deku has access to six quirks and that he's the eighth user of One for All, do we know who was the other user without a quirk was? I have a vague memory that we were told All Might was also quirkless I'm not sure if I'm misremembering that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Starsnostars posted:

It get mentioned that Deku has access to six quirks and that he's the eighth user of One for All, do we know who was the other user without a quirk was? I have a vague memory that we were told All Might was also quirkless I'm not sure if I'm misremembering that.

All Might mentions it during the sports festival

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I really liked Uraraka's part in this in the manga and enjoyed it even more in today's episode. No hesitation, just immediately does what she can. I like the contrast between her using her quirk to help up an old lady vs Shinso who isn't really even sure how to use his quirk to help someone else, especially in this context where she charged right into danger, kept her head on straight and resolved things. It's like a difference in perspective is what matters, especially in light of Monoma's somewhat negative rambling about the different "types" of heroes at the beginning of the episode.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
This episode was cool and good and could have happened 6 episodes ago.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New episode also means new sketch.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1398556185981120515

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Black Whip looked cool most of the time. There was one short sequence where it was just two poorly shaded frames flipping back and form though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's weird hearing Monoma be chill while talking with Shinso and it's kinda neat tbh. I like the bit about a childhood dream starting to become a burden.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Deku is the Ninth, not the Eighth. You are correct that All Might was previously quirkless but also the First user's quirk was literally just the ability to pass a quirk on to someone else so while Deku technically has that, it's not... useful. So he's due to get access to the Second through Seventh users' quirks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Monoma is cool

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wow this is really dumb.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

WrightOfWay posted:

Wow this is really dumb.

It actually makes a lot of sense, considering One For All is a mutated quirk which accumulates power and can pass itself on to others. Why wouldn't the quirks of its other users also get passed on in the process?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

jassa posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense, considering One For All is a mutated quirk which accumulates power and can pass itself on to others. Why wouldn't the quirks of its other users also get passed on in the process?

In all honesty it's a bit narratively annoying to give the most overpowered character even more quirks when All Might was the greatest hero ever with an inferior version of the quirk. But otoh Izuku kind of got pretty boring the instant he became able to use OfA without hurting himself so it'll be nice to give him some more options to actually use his intellect on instead of relying on SMASH. He was already so overpowered that making him more overpowered barely registers too.

If they play it right it'll honestly be more of a hindrance than a help, if he has to split his attention between developing/learning to control multiple quirks he's going to end up far behind where he would have been if he just focused on controlling the superstrength part alone.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

jassa posted:

For me this interpretation relies too much on an abstract interpretation of "stockpiles power" when for 8 generations it was just super-strength that gets superer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
As a manga reader I don’t want to give any specifics out but ultimately I think it’s handled well overall. I would say just give it time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll just say that a lot of changes are on the horizon for this series in the near future and for the most part the majority of them are fairly well handled. Just keep an open mind is all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

For me this interpretation relies too much on an abstract interpretation of "stockpiles power" when for 8 generations it was just super-strength that gets superer.
The original quirk which is "One For All" was a useless quirk whose only known feature was being able to be passed on willingly to others- All For One forced a Power Stockpiling quirk on the original holder of One For All, and One For All rolled it up. It actually fits pretty well that One For All is basically just a quirk lint-roller that picks up the quirks of the people who held it as it gets passed on.

The thing that we don't understand right now is why the additional quirks only started to manifest in Izuku, the current holder.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

oh jay posted:

Does it though? We've only seen two of OFA's users up until this episode. The Original and All Might (who was quirkless). All Might doesn't seem to have experienced the Vestiges or he would have been able to warn Deku that some seriously weird poo poo was about to go down, but there's nothing that says that OFA has always manifested as just Super Strength.

Given the phrasing of the little tutorial cutscene from the previous Avatar host/user, OFA not only stockpiles, but enhances the current user's powers. Somewhere along the way, Super Strength got added to the stockpile. That may have been the only one All Might could tap into, or even knew existed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The original quirk which is "One For All" was a useless quirk whose only known feature was being able to be passed on willingly to others- All For One forced a Power Stockpiling quirk on the original holder of One For All, and One For All rolled it up. It actually fits pretty well that One For All is basically just a quirk lint-roller that picks up the quirks of the people who held it as it gets passed on.

The thing that we don't understand right now is why the additional quirks only started to manifest in Izuku, the current holder.

Neither the quirk of "quirk passing" or "stocking power" would apparently have to power of "combining quirks." All Might says that is just something that sometimes happens when the quirk AFO moves quirks around. It seems that "quirk passing" also has the "combining quirks" secondary effect which makes some sense because quirks shared by siblings would be similar, but it isn't something that should be taken as a given.

pointlessone posted:

Does it though? We've only seen two of OFA's users up until this episode. The Original and All Might (who was quirkless). All Might doesn't seem to have experienced the Vestiges or he would have been able to warn Deku that some seriously weird poo poo was about to go down, but there's nothing that says that OFA has always manifested as just Super Strength.

Given the phrasing of the little tutorial cutscene from the previous Avatar host/user, OFA not only stockpiles, but enhances the current user's powers. Somewhere along the way, Super Strength got added to the stockpile. That may have been the only one All Might could tap into, or even knew existed.

I got to assume that All Might would have mentioned in passing that it was weird that Nana said she started Blackwhipping after she got OFA, but it never happened for him.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

pointlessone posted:

Re: the super strength... I always assumed One for All's power stockpiling effect simply started building up the user's natural physical strength slowly over time, but then when it passed onto the next user they didn't have to start from zero again. Hence why over time, the new recipients had to have a strong body and slowly train to be able to safely use the power which had been accumulated. In short, I think super strength simply became a feature of the original/core mutated quirk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It seems like thematically OFA is the Quirk Singularity Theory come true. I'm guessing the DNA transfer nature of it is why it rolls over previous user Quirks, and it would keep in the logic of the world that a quirk that Stockpiles then Passes on would also evolve enough to allow someone sufficient access to previous quirks.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

pointlessone posted:

Super Strength is the starting stockpile power, for the record. To be clear, what's happened, as far as we know, is this:
  • 1st had a totally useless quirk that had no purpose other than to allow him to pass the quirk on to others.
  • AFO forced a strength stockpiling quirk on him, which would slowly get stronger over time (based on him saying "A quirk even you can use," we could probably assume the quirk started out pretty weak and was intended to not be too much for his sickly brother to handle)
  • The 1st's previously useless quirk combined with the strength stockpiling quirk, becoming a strength stockpiling quirk that can be passed on and can accumulate strength over an even longer period of time.
  • The new combined quirk that we can now call One for All was passed on to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th (Black Whip), 7th (Nana Shimura), and the 8th (All Might, who was quirkless at the time), then finally to Deku, the 9th user.
  • We're now learning that as it passed through the 2nd through 7th, it absorbed the quirks those users originally had as well.
  • All Might never had any contact with the Vestiges of the previous users but also never had any problem immediately using OFA's full strength so it's apparent that Deku's usage of OFA has always been different from All Might's.
It's going to take a long time for them to explain much more about this but like I said, I don't hate this plot? It's pretty Shonen poo poo but honestly Deku was already so wildly OP that it's hard to say that these extra quirks make him significantly moreso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CuwiKhons posted:

It's going to take a long time for them to explain much more about this but like I said, I don't hate this plot? It's pretty Shonen poo poo but honestly Deku was already so wildly OP that it's hard to say that these extra quirks make him significantly moreso.

If nothing else, it's safe to assume it'll make fights more interesting. As someone else alluded to earlier, Deku is a clever and strategic fighter so this plays to his natural strengths and allows for more creativity in battle.