Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is the new Lego Star Wars game (the one covering all 9 movies) still going to happen though? And if so, do we have a release date yet besides sometime next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DurosKlav posted:

EA's stranglehold on the license the last like decade or so. I dont think they own the rights anymore though so maybe we will be getting more games in the next few years.

They have rights to make a game but they thankfully lost exclusive rights. There are actually a few games in development right now from different companies. If I recall correctly one being an open world RPG and another being a KOTOR I & II remaster/remake. :circlefap:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Anita Dickinme posted:

drat you, I was going to make this joke. :argh:

But this is literally what I see all this being set up as. It’ll be all these characters going up against Thrawn and the new trilogy will be essentially the Heir to the Empire book trilogy.

I wanna see live action Thrawn so bad.

And well yeah, looks like they aren't doing "yolo lol mystery box" thingy anymore. That's better than whatever TRoS was. Also it seems Taika is set as director for an unnamed movie.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

I wanna see live action Thrawn so bad.

And well yeah, looks like they aren't doing "yolo lol mystery box" thingy anymore. That's better than whatever TRoS was. Also it seems Taika is set as director for an unnamed movie.

And hopefully we get some justice with the original cast. If they have to be CGI’d I’m cool with that or recasted (like Sebastian Stan playing Luke). But this would be a great way to actually make the sequel trilogy decent by setting up the explanation of “somehow Palpatine has returned” among other things.

Oh my god this whole thing is just setting up a prequel trilogy for the sequel trilogy.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

They have rights to make a game but they thankfully lost exclusive rights. There are actually a few games in development right now from different companies. If I recall correctly one being an open world RPG and another being a KOTOR I & II remaster/remake. :circlefap:

I think the KOTOR thing is probably just going to be more console ports from Aspyr, though it’d be great to get full remakes. There’s Fallen Order 2 coming too. I actually reinstalled TOR the other night, interested to see what’s changed in like the decade since I last played it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

what if the big event all this leads up to is basically an adaption of the Thrawn trilogy? the timeline is right for it, a few years after ROTJ, you’ve set up Thrawn coming back from the Unknown regions and probably becoming some kind of remnant string puller. Maybe he already is. We think all the Baby Yoda midichlorian harvesting is just Snoke backstory, but what if it’s actually... for Luuke?

the question is who’s the Joruus C’baoth character

i’m gonna will this poo poo into existence

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Anita Dickinme posted:

Oh my god this whole thing is just setting up a prequel trilogy for the sequel trilogy.

It's setting up the Thrawn trilogy... to take the place of the sequel trilogy with Force-timeline shenanigans :kheldragar:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it sucks because as characters (what little is there) I really like the ST cast. ideally there’d be a way to retcon all that stupid bullshit but still keep them around

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

what if the big event all this leads up to is basically an adaption of the Thrawn trilogy? the timeline is right for it, a few years after ROTJ, you’ve set up Thrawn coming back from the Unknown regions and probably becoming some kind of remnant string puller. Maybe he already is. We think all the Baby Yoda midichlorian harvesting is just Snoke backstory, but what if it’s actually... for Luuke?

Anita Dickinme posted:

But this is literally what I see all this being set up as. It’ll be all these characters going up against Thrawn and the new trilogy will be essentially the Heir to the Empire book trilogy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

it sucks because as characters (what little is there) I really like the ST cast. ideally there’d be a way to retcon all that stupid bullshit but still keep them around

I agree with you completely. I really liked The Force Awakens and I thought it was going to be a great set up for the rest of the trilogy and the original cast was going to be more than just... there. Luke should have been the main protagonist in 8 & 9 with Rey as his apprentice while also not completely sidelining Finn to scream Rey numerous times.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

They can still make Finn a Jedi apprentice and make Rey a cool new Jedi and not Obi Wan 2.0. Like "Ok lol nevermind I'm back, desert sucks, here Finn I'll teach you how to use my dumb lightsaber so we can be jedi buddies while we have rad space adventures with baby yoda and your boyfriend poe."

I'm gonna write that fanfic and Disney can't stop me.

All jokes aside I wish something could be salvage from the sequels.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mandrel posted:

Grogu.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mandrel posted:

Is Barriss Offee’s fate known? Make it an older, unbalanced version of her.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Anita Dickinme posted:

And hopefully we get some justice with the original cast. If they have to be CGI’d I’m cool with that or recasted (like Sebastian Stan playing Luke). But this would be a great way to actually make the sequel trilogy decent by setting up the explanation of “somehow Palpatine has returned” among other things.

Bring back the Chipmunk made flesh in Solo for Han, that one guy in Solo for Lando, Stan for Luke and recast Leia. Hell bring in Mara Jade. It really doesn't matter anymore after how badly they did in Rise of Skywalker.

If they don't, you still have Ahsoka's/Fetts misunderstanding fight before they team up with all their friends (ex. Mando, Rex, Bo, the surviving Rebel's cast, maybe even the bad batch if they survive, and a certain x-wing pilot that works a convienence store), to take on Thrawn, and find out while he needed to be taken down, he (and only he, Palpatine didn't care) was holding back the alien invasion in the sequal series.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Is Barriss Offee’s fate known? Make it an older, unbalanced version of her.

checking the databank it looks like nothing confirmed after her being charged for the bombing. you’d think if she was in republic custody she’d have been one of the first executed during Order 66, but it’s ambiguous enough they could write her as having escaped.

or actually, in the Thrawn trilogy the original Jorus died on Outbound Flight I think, before Order 66. so if Offee was in custody that’s an easy explanation right there for how she could’ve been used as a test subject before getting executed, leaving us with older even more unbalanced extremist clone Baarriss Offee post ROTJ

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I know some people have speculated that the Seventh Sister from Rebels is actually Barriss since they're both Force using Mirialans but that's about the extent of the supporting evidence.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And I am pretty sure Filoni said they weren't the same.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nopants posted:

why aren’t there more star wars rpgs and action rpgs? what’s the matter with our reality? as i watch amazing star wars content I ask this question more and more

I just sorta wish the board game license was still kept by Fantasy Flight. For all of their own layout decisions, their games and TTRPG were solid and I have no idea who now has the licenses at this point for making TTRPGs or board games.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I feel like Mara Jade has to come back at some point. Even if they’re committed to keeping the ST canon, in the EU she ended up dying before when that would happen anyway, so it wouldn’t really change much. You could have her go down fighting Kylo at the Jedi Temple, similar to how Caedus took her out in the EU. Which would jive similarly with how Luke went into exile and didn’t go take on Snoke and Kylo himself, for the same reasons he didn’t go at Caedus directly and left it to Jaina in the books. Kylo and Rey are basically just Jacen/Jaina remixes anyway.

It doesn’t fix the movies being poo poo but it at least builds out some context that would make Luke’s part in the ST more coherent with his characterization. Add in a bunch of media set between this Thrawn trilogy and the eventual ST with Hero Luke, Mara Jade, Han, Leia, Ezra and crew, whoever, on adventures and dealing with various drama, get some new take on an extra-galactic Unknown Region threat Vong analogue, eventually you work your way to where he’s at by TFA/TLJ. Accomplishes a similar thing Clone Wars did by really digging into how Anakin evolves into Vader.

The movies will still suck but you surround them with enough good poo poo to minimize the relative weight they have to carry narratively and they’re less offensive

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

And I am pretty sure Filoni said they weren't the same.

yeah they don’t really look that much alike, and their voices, personality, and mannerisms are completely different.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

All jokes aside I wish something could be salvage from the sequels.

People said similar things about the prequel trilogy and look at the good stuff that's come out of that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mandrel posted:

Snoke *is* Luuke, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Lego Xmas special had Rey training Fin in the force.

But yea that cast deserved a better final movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Is the new Lego Star Wars game (the one covering all 9 movies) still going to happen though? And if so, do we have a release date yet besides sometime next year?

Still happening, still with an unknown and delayed release date.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Still happening, still with an unknown and delayed release date.

Do we know if this one’s going to have voice acting like TFA did or will it be more in line with the other Lego Star Wars games?

Also did they completely remake everything from scratch or will the TPM through TFA segments just be ports of the previous releases?

Speaking of Lego Star Wars, are the cartoons any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 30, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Darko posted:

Snoke *is* Luuke, though.
The hand in the jar does suggest that all right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Do we know if this one’s going to have voice acting like TFA did or will it be more in line with the other Lego Star Wars games?

Also did they completely remake everything from scratch or will the TPM through TFA segments just be ports of the previous releases?

Speaking of Lego Star Wars, are the cartoons any good?

Voice acting, levels are all new and in an open world kinda format apparently.

I've only seen Freemaker Adventures, and it was very much aimed at young kids. There is fun stuff for adults (Master Shake as a Hutt is a great idea) but they aren't like Clone Wars or Rebels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
R0-GR's blatant PTSD from being carved up by Jedi constantly is darkly funny.

In general the Lego stuff is worth watching just for how weird the recurring jokes get.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

But yea that cast deserved a better final movie.

Release the Abrams cut! :black101:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Shouldn't it be called the Lucas cut? :p

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Anita Dickinme posted:

I agree with you completely. I really liked The Force Awakens and I thought it was going to be a great set up for the rest of the trilogy and the original cast was going to be more than just... there. Luke should have been the main protagonist in 8 & 9 with Rey as his apprentice while also not completely sidelining Finn to scream Rey numerous times.

We got an entire trilogy of Luke being one of the lead protagonists. The ST needed to not focus so much on those characters and instead give the new generation the focus.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp. Filoni did it.

He made me retroactively sad that Luke couldn't find a non-lethal way to escape from the Rancor in Return of the Jedi.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Welp. Filoni did it.

He made me retroactively sad that Luke couldn't find a non-lethal way to escape from the Rancor in Return of the Jedi.

That was apparently a different Rancor but yeah (I still wonder what happened to Muchi though). But as I said, based on the Beast Master’s reaction afterwards Luke still murdered someone’s beloved pet/friend regardless.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They should bring back mara jade but she ultimately ditches luke instead of the dumb poo poo that happened in old eu

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just couldn't cope with his blue milk addiction

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Spookydonut posted:

They should bring back mara jade but she ultimately ditches luke instead of the dumb poo poo that happened in old eu

You know what? I liked Mara Jade in the old EU. She was a cool, interesting character who brought a different perspective to the Force, the Empire and the Emperor. Plus the relationship she had with Luke seemed to dodge the idea of her being a prize/reward/object for Luke, instead being a relationship of partners and equals.

That said, I think her niche in this canon has pretty well already been filled by Ahsoka Tano. I just don't see any way to bring in Mara Jade that wouldn't smack of "Imperial/Sith" Ahsoka Tano.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Mara Jade is a war criminal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Mara Jade even still exist in the new canon?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No, that's why we're talking about bringing her "back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Make Mara an Inquisitor who gets iced by Maul

Maul murders Mara on Malachor