Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thread's cycled enough times that we're due for MoMA's reappearance any time, right? Right? :jpmf:

edit: my catte

Theotus fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YzR444a58

DDG breaks down how disappointing the Invictus tour of the Javelin is

I skipped through his video but its just corridors , NPC's placed around to make it look like something is happening, and players warping around with 10 FPS everywhere you look

big thumbs up CIG

The comments on his video are great, i don't think i've seen a single positive comment after scrolling through and getting tired of looking for one

Wow, they didn't let him see pretty much anything interesting. It's just corridors, bunk beds, mess hall tables and a bunch of guards posted in front of locked doors. That's CIG for you. I can only assume they haven't even finished designing how the other bits are supposed to look, much less modeled them.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Waste of space, you mean. Wouldn't they have staggered shifts on a navy vessel?

One of the NPCs in the mess hall even voiced a line just after 3 minutes into the video about how the mess hall has a fully automated dispensary since they operate on rotating shifts.
I imagine a real military vessel also wouldn't place the mess hall in a location that would essentially turn it into a hub for foot traffic between multiple different decks, but my experience with military ship vessel interiors is largely limited to episodes of JAG, so what do I know :shrug:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

trucutru posted:

Not a single ship has working stations, all of the ones that are flyable -including the Idris- are piloted by a single dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRqjURuQSA

This is so fking sad. When did they first sell it? 2013? 2012? Now it's 2021 and what they have looks like a fan mod for some space game.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

CIG may be able to sell more accounts

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 29, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

CIG may be able to sell more accounts

What do the NPCs do in SC? Stand on chairs?

This person is not looking at the big picture. Instead of giving NPC control to your character, wealthy players should be able to pay poor players to stand on chairs until you log on next time.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I actually removed the drive bays from my case just to make it roomier for cable management.
God bless you digital hoarders but I can't imagine ever buying another spinny disk.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Blue On Blue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9YzR444a58

DDG breaks down how disappointing the Invictus tour of the Javelin is

I skipped through his video but its just corridors , NPC's placed around to make it look like something is happening, and players warping around with 10 FPS everywhere you look

big thumbs up CIG

The comments on his video are great, i don't think i've seen a single positive comment after scrolling through and getting tired of looking for one

Manned turrets continue to be one of the dumbest aspects of this game. They figured out remoted controlled turrets were a better idea during WW2. There is also no chance in the future these turrets wouldn't be 100% computer controlled, but I get why they do it this way. To make it more "fun" and to require multiple people to use larger ships effectively. So now large chunks of ships have to be dedicated to equipment to get in and out of turrets and the turrets themselves are larger then they need to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nskFayhBcy0

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, eschewing realism for fun gameplay is a good idea but when you can’t shut the gently caress up about how fidelity laden your game is doing it for this one thing is very dumb. Now to take a large gulp of argon free air from my room.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

e: lol, the max capacity of the ship is 80 crew members and the mess hall has 80 seats exactly. That attention to detail!

Wait, really? Why would you make a cafeteria big enough for your entire ships crew to all go eat at the same time? That doesn't seem fidelitous.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: I'm going to be unapologetically honest here, as a reasonably heavy backer i've stopped paying money for ships because of the gutting of the roadmaps and how I feel they've 'progressed'.

Another factor which has stopped me pledging more cash is the availability of more ships in game, call me a snob/elitist whatever but the only reason I pledged for ships like the 890 was the scarcity. Yes I know it will all be available on full release and I am of course fine with that but when ships are limited for real money ...but purchasable in game that doesn't sit right with me at all. I wanted the 890 to be exclusive during alpha/beta, it was sold as a limited ship, same with polaris but now it's open to anyone. Seeing an 890 in the PU was reasonably rare but now with glitches and people transferring cash between orgs the economy is shot and they're less rare.

Is it a selfish view to take, yeah probably but when they're not allowing me to purchase ships for cash but putting them up for relatively low auec in game I have a problem. Look at the prowler, a $440 for $4m in game? I know there's balancing to do and yade yada, we're testing systems, blah blah, I get your points. I'm stating my rather selfish reasons for not paying real cash anymore. It's just how I feel.

Buying ships is pointless unless your reason is saving the grind (which is trivial) or supporting the game. But let's be honest if you weren't getting a ship and cool factor for that price you wouldn't just donate money to CiG, well very few would

:cry:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I love those big "DO NOT PRESS INSTALL" as if this will irreversibly gently caress up his PC.

I mean it will have the taint of Star Citizen so that's the same thing. I wonder what exactly is in the appdata folder, you shouldn't be forced to remove it in install. I know what should be there but given the launcher is such a loving mess, one can only wonder.
Until the next freefly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quavers posted:

:reddit: I'm going to be unapologetically honest here, as a reasonably heavy backer i've stopped paying money for ships because of the gutting of the roadmaps and how I feel they've 'progressed'.

Another factor which has stopped me pledging more cash is the availability of more ships in game, call me a snob/elitist whatever but the only reason I pledged for ships like the 890 was the scarcity. Yes I know it will all be available on full release and I am of course fine with that but when ships are limited for real money ...but purchasable in game that doesn't sit right with me at all. I wanted the 890 to be exclusive during alpha/beta, it was sold as a limited ship, same with polaris but now it's open to anyone. Seeing an 890 in the PU was reasonably rare but now with glitches and people transferring cash between orgs the economy is shot and they're less rare.

Is it a selfish view to take, yeah probably but when they're not allowing me to purchase ships for cash but putting them up for relatively low auec in game I have a problem. Look at the prowler, a $440 for $4m in game? I know there's balancing to do and yade yada, we're testing systems, blah blah, I get your points. I'm stating my rather selfish reasons for not paying real cash anymore. It's just how I feel.

Buying ships is pointless unless your reason is saving the grind (which is trivial) or supporting the game. But let's be honest if you weren't getting a ship and cool factor for that price you wouldn't just donate money to CiG, well very few would

Sometimes they get so close to realizing this entire thing is a scam.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

I usually stop paying money for games after I have bought the finished game for $10-40.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CrispDecimalFlyingfish-mobile.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

Wait, really? Why would you make a cafeteria big enough for your entire ships crew to all go eat at the same time? That doesn't seem fidelitous.

Yes, 10 tables with 8 seats each. I guess the captain and the cooks eat together with everybody else as all the stations are empty while the chow is being had.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Skatebird cannot come out soon enough. I hope that they improved it a bit from last year's demo, it played kinda janky.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RickyOG90/status/1398517817725571072

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
When even Lethality is dropping burns on CIG's tweets, you know they are stretching it with their backers.
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1398654828453285891

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

What can we watch on the in-game TVs? posted:

There are some ships and habs in the game that have TVs in them.
What will be be able to watch on these TVs?
Will there be some sort of channels being feed video made by Mako news ships?
Can it show outside the ship, like a window, or a scenic view?
Can they play videos that we have stored on our local machines, like the jukebox that played our own music?
Because of using Lumberyard can it play Amazon media like Twitch streams or Prime Video?

quote:

The Spectrum is what you will be able to see both in your MobiGlas and screens around the verse... it has news, political discussion programs, sport and TV drama shows. Go to the ILW ship hall and you will see the wall that gives the history of ILW, at 2735 it mentions the spacevid "All Tomorrows Guardians".
The discussion panel show "Showdown": Here's the latest transcript; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/18149-Showdown-United-In-Purpose

The Spectrum will feature fairly heavily in Squadron 42.

You will also be able to watch in-game Spectrum broadcasts on your mobile phone or android tablet.

The Reliant MAKO News Van has a camera suite that can broadcast directly to the Spectrum so that players can upload footage of events around the game universe and roleplay as reporters. There are also camera drones in the game. Murray Cup Racing events will be streamed via the Spectrum as well as Astro Arena. One of the news programs is called Empire Report and there is also Spectrum Dispatch ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17731-KAIZEN-Interview-With-Imperator-Candidate-Mira-Ngo )

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:ughh:

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Would you have any hope for the game if it was sold to a different studio to work on? For example, Blizzard? Or anyone other than the current.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Starpluck posted:

Would you have any hope for the game if it was sold to a different studio to work on? For example, Blizzard? Or anyone other than the current.

Pretty sure it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. And this time make the ground solid so players don't pass through it :dadjoke:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

If the game ever gets to be a game I fully anticipate huge swaths of people complaining exactly about this situation.

The problem will be hugely exacerbated because CIGs economy will either be hacked within 5 minutes of launch or somebody will just use one of those Hull Es or whatever to destroy the economy and throw free money at everybody who logs in like it's Mardi Gras beads.

The ships people spend $1000's on will be immediately available to any idiot who logs in, or buys $100.000,000.000.000,00 in game money for $3 from Chinese gold farmers/hackers on eBay the day after launch.

What's even worse is once the real money price tag is irrelevant on you space ship dlc, you're going to quickly realize your video game space ship is junk and that you actually did make a horrible life decision. The real money values combined with the ships not actually in the game give it a factor of mystery and dreams, which CIG has profited from from near a decade or so.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If another studio picked up Star Citizen if would have to start all over and the scope would be significantly reduced to the point that it wouldn't be Star Citizen as promised by Chris & co.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

I probably would've used any studio but Blizzard there, it ain't exactly goin swell for them right now

and really it seems like more and more of the work is being contracted out to Turbulent and other 3rd parties, so essentially CI isn't really building the bulk of SC anymore

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

Pretty sure it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. And this time make the ground solid so players don't pass through it :dadjoke:

This.

You could keep the general concept (massively multiplayer every game ever made and some you haven't even conceived of yet), but every bit of the game would need to be scraped and rebuilt from the ground up.

It needs to be torn all the way down, down to the concept art and beyond, and started anew in Unreal 5. But, at that point, it's not Star Citizen anymore.

So no. I don't think you could give Star Citizen and all of its assets to anyone and hope for any better than we're getting right now. We're past the point where things can be salvaged and shaped into a releasable game that will score 70+ on metacritic.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Starpluck posted:

Sure.

But they would have to hugely walk back some of the insane promises, so I don't think some studio is eager to buy this and take it over on their own.

Heck, I'm still waiting for whatever happened to Beyond Good and Evil 2. That seemed somewhat close to the general concept of SC except with actual art direction and what looked like gameplay.

But that seemed to have vanished into the ether somewhere along the way. :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
also keep in mind all the insane promises, if ever fully implemented to the best of everyone's imagination will still make for a lovely and boring game.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
A technically realistic SC is Elite Dangerous

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

jarlywarly posted:

A technically realistic SC is Elite Dangerous

At this point the only SC that will release is E:D.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

If another studio picked up Star Citizen if would have to start all over and the scope would be significantly reduced to the point that it wouldn't be Star Citizen as promised by Chris & co.

The big thing to understand though is that the scope promised by Chris, they have no intention of actually ever delivering on it because they know its not possible to achieve.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The big thing to understand though is that the scope promised by Chris, they have no intention of actually ever delivering on it because they know its not possible to achieve.

They'll never admit to that though, they just don't talk about the more insane promises anymore. That's why when they do take community questions they're heavily sanitized so they only talk about things like the newest ship. It's best for CIG to keep the illusion going and let Citizens fill in the details for them well they never actually commit to anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Croberts promised he'd make AI that you couldn't tell apart from humans and they believed him. Might as well promise literally everything you can imagine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

And anybody with experience producing games isn't going to touch SC with a 20 foot pole.

"What if giant space mmo that let you do everything" isn't a game design. Its a fantasy.

SC has less than nothing. Chris has yet to actually design the game, and won't. They just promise everything to everybody to get money.

SC is a game that cannot be, as it is self contradictory. It wants to be 5 different things at once and you each one makes the others not work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khanstant posted:

also keep in mind all the insane promises, if ever fully implemented to the best of everyone's imagination will still make for a lovely and boring game.

Exactly

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Starpluck posted:

Let's say another studio made Star Citizen exactly to the scale and wavy-handed vision of Christo Roberto, but was allowed to take shortcuts at all the spots that it makes sense to do such a thing. For instance, they might use the Elite: Dangerous system of a different-scale map for super-speed travel and only loading the high-detail assets nearest to you when you drop back to normal speeds. Or the Elite: Dangerous system of having you exit your ship to a fighter or rover via a short animation instead of walking your spaceman to those locations. Or the Elite: Dangerous system of landing pads that take you underground, effectively removing you from occupying limited space in a landing area. Or the Elite: Dangerous system of spawning relevant NPC's only in your immediate vicinity when you drop out of supercruise near an activity area. Or the Elite: Dangerous system of setting up every ship so that multicrew is an optional bonus, not a requirement, and a single pilot can play the whole game solo.

Noticing a pattern yet? ED is Star Citizen as made by a team of competent developers who were allowed to stretch their technology around the gaps in the experience. But their designers have the same relentless commitment to making everything as slow, isolated, and boring as Star Citizen, and their game is ultimately a fairly joyless grind-fest where everyone plays solo and actually encountering other players in the vastness of space is extremely rare and usually leads to griefing.

Star Citizen can't be made because Chris Roberts is a buffoon whose only competence is raising money. But even if he weren't it can't be made fun because a vast, empty universe for space truckers is just not fundamentally compelling. The reason EvE works at generating great big naval battles in an economic sim is because it's possible for players working in conjunction to build up from space-trucking into an empire, and because cap ships are not fundamentally harder to pilot than small ships, they just take more resources/time to create. The idealized Star Citizen is the exact opposite of this in vision: trucking and loving are all Chris Roberts craves, and to let Citizens ascend to wealthier economic rungs would destroy his whole planned economy. In addition, capital ships require hundreds of players all working in sync to operate, so it's not feasible for naval battles to rage constantly. The only thing SC will generate is "400 hours of flying back and forth, punctuated by 5 guys in a corvette ganking you at a jump point." It cannot be more than that, by its very design.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Scale has always been funny in video games.

A lot of them have gotten around it with "fast travel" type options, because sure it may be "realistic" to force people to do this trek, but is it "fun"?

Some people like it. Some people don't.

I'm of the mindset where I don't mind doing it once or twice, but if I have to do it a bunch of times I'd hope there could be a way just to get to where I want to be faster because doing the get-there experience is no longer a wow factor for me, I'm not noticing how cool this or that thing that I've already seen is.

Because I can, it looks like the art/design team is trying to cash checks the engine can't handle.

Like I watched that javelin thing and I saw rows and rows of bunks, and a huge mess hall.

But what I didn't see was rows and rows of NPCs in those bunks, and the mess hall was barren except some static NPCs who were locked in a look at or talking to each other pose.

If you have 5 NPCs you can place before your scene starts hitching, you're probably not better off building a football field for them to stand on, but maybe a picnic table. Things can look smaller and be crowded, but once you make it big... if you can't also make it look busy like that tiny picnic table, it's going to look very dead.

For all the mess-hall excitement, I was hoping we'd see some of that on that tour but apparently not. It's just tables in a big empty room I guess.

It looked like the only thing to do on the whole tour outside of look at rooms was to go up and down the one turret. I guess... good job? I don't even know anymore.

The performance of the scene was atrocious though. The other players were playing the rubber-band game everywhere.

Hopefully whoever Turbulent hires to make Star Citizen will understand how to use their assets properly so you don't sacrifice everything else for graphics. I can assure you that outside of that one Twitter poster, having a giant carpet with 4K textures where you can zoom into loops of fabric is not the best practice to adhere to if you want a video game that isn't an endless slideshow of randomly appearing assets and graphical glitches.

But really I don't think people want the video game anyway. They just want pretty pictures to spend $$$ on. :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Some of the most infuriating travel mechanics I remember were from old Sierra adventure games where you couldn't speed up your character and you had to backtrack all over the world, one scene at a time, to walk (only walk) to some random thing to pick up some mcguffin or talk to some random npc.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Second Life In Space posted:

A few thoughts after returning to Star Citizen after a 6 month Hiatus.
It takes entirely to long to do...anything. Can we please have an option to spawn at Port O again or one of the Rest Stop hubs? Also, I'm starting to get the impression that Star Citizen is being turned into Second Life in space. Every year that goes by SC feels less like a fun Space Combat / Trucking / Salvaging / Exploring game and more like this:

Run for 15 minutes before you get to your space ship hanger.
Hopefully get into orbit after flying at a 90 degree angle for 10 minutes.
Sit and do nothing during a 25 minute trip to Port Olisar.
Spend another 10 minutes getting your Prospector.
Spend another 20 minutes in quantum before you finally meet up with your friends to mine...
Get 30k'd. (30k isn't even the worst of this. The worst part is above ^^. Games should not be this tedius.)

Oh...you wanted to do an event? You wanted to create content with a bunch of players? Take the above gameplay loop and multiply that by the number of people you're trying to corral.

Simply put. It takes too much time to setup and do virtually anything. Many of us don't have 12 hours to play...

PS: Don't tell me to play Arena Commander. I want a Persistent Universe...Just not one that duplicates the worst parts of my day so precisely... and yes... I know you can set your spawn at a station. I'm talking about compressing the time expense in trivial activities across the board. Like...Quality of Life stuff to reduce the mundane.

quote:

Star citizen is a Universe Simulator, not an arcade game. It's on the right track. It'll be more like Sims in space with the npcs under our control though, not Second Life. Anyway they have made concessions to the impatient already, so it's all good, it'll be a balanced experience in the end.

quote:

I just want to point out that - I know there are MILLIONS of potential customers that are 'hoping' SC becomes a sort of "Second Life In Space" (in addition to the "Best drat Space Sim)

My former partner was really looking forward to working as a cocktail waitress on an 890 jump and being a 'doctor' on a medical ship. She had zero interest in combat, or exploration. She was interesting in all the SOCIAL aspects the game could possibly deliver.

She was not alone.

quote:

Arena Commander is for those that can’t deal with the realities of the PU, and vice versa.

Pick one.

quote:

I think that some players look at Star Citizen from a "wrong" perspective.....

They are "time pressed", so to speak, because they feel that they have to "squeeze" the very best out of the whatever time they can spend in Star Citizen, usually, it is about making as many aUECs as possible but this may vary, depending on what the players is interested in...

To my opinion, this perspective comes from wanting to "win" the game so, being the most efficient during one's own time, in their opinion, would be more effective towards "winning" the game....

Well, I got news..... Star Citizen, to my understanding, CANNOT BE WON.

SImply, because there is nothing to win in it. There is no "Finish Line", no "King of the Hill" status to be reached.

The entire and "sole" purpose of the Star Citizen's Universe, as I understood it, is to "Enjoy the Journey"..... that is, get in it, and do whatever one enjoys to do, slowly, calmly, without any frenzy to get to a Finish Line that does not exist...

Infact, I do not understand why people are always running in Star Citizen.... running to get where ? To do what, at such a fast pace ?

What for ?

Enjoy your time, take it easy, do not look at how many aUECs per hour one can make because it is irrelevant.... whethere one makes 1 aUEC or 1 million aUECs in an hour, frankly, who cares ?

There is no FInish Line to reach before someone else... just a Journey to be enjoyed day by day, slowly, in no hurry.

At least, that is the way I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, on an 890 Jump

I picked you out, I shook you up and turned you round, but you still T Posed like a chump