Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly love FFXIV's nonsense a whole lot more than WoW's, because it's so earnestly dumb rather than just "Look at us cramming a popular meme in, wink-wink" like WoW does.

Going through it FF14 absolutely does the same sort of referential cramming WoW does it just lets it go without lingering on it forever. I ran into a few different Matrix quotes in different places already lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Going through it FF14 absolutely does the same sort of referential cramming WoW does it just lets it go without lingering on it forever. I ran into a few different Matrix quotes in different places already lol

I think the difference is that FF14 makes the joke and moves on. WoW makes the joke and makes absolutely sure you get that it's a joke and how clever it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

I think the difference is that FF14 makes the joke and moves on. WoW makes the joke and makes absolutely sure you get that it's a joke and how clever it is.

Yeah pretty much!

Also excepting the hideous little gnome race that all look like children the art style is much better. WoW's such an ugly game

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I finished the Silver Shroud questline and really, really liked it. The best thing is that in the final fight all the henchpersons are like "poo poo, maybe she really is the Silver Shroud". I'm also liking the Freedom Trail quests, maybe mostly because it's clear that Curie would be the worst secret agent ever.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:42 on May 26, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"I am proficient in hu-mon anatomy."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

I finished the Silver Shroud questline and really, really liked it. The best thing is that in the final fight all the henchpersons are like "poo poo, maybe she really is the Silver Shroud".

This is why you always take the "speak as the Shroud" option and then get mad that you can't do it outside the quest

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite WoW fact is that it was several expansions before they solved the issue of 'Quests can only update when something is killed or collected'. Before then, if they wanted an objective like 'go to this location' or 'talk to this person' they had to create a rabbit in a secret location, and kill it when the objective was complete.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The world ran on the death of invisible bunnies.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Todd Howard posted:

It just works!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah pretty much!

Also excepting the hideous little gnome race that all look like children the art style is much better. WoW's such an ugly game

I like WoW's colorful style a lot better than long-necked generic animes, myself.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Wow had a graphics upgrade in the Last expansion, which prompted me to play it for a month. it looks surprisingly good to me tbh.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

packetmantis posted:

I like WoW's colorful style a lot better than long-necked generic animes, myself.

I have to agree. Blizzard might be run by paint chip-eating Hitler Youth and literal Bush- and Trump-era war criminals, but their art designs always felt more "alive" to me. Yeah, FFXIV might be objectively prettier, but it's also pretty forgettable since it looks like literally every other Asian MMO on the market.

FFXIV has the best music of any MMO, though, hands down. Alexander's raid is still my go-to for workout bops.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They should instead follow the lead of Wolfenstein where you now get a game over if you attack Hitler

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They should instead follow the lead of Wolfenstein where you now get a game over if you attack Hitler

A quick reminder that being ironically terribly gives cover to actually terrible people. Also I think you wanted the other thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A quick reminder that being ironically terribly gives cover to actually terrible people. Also I think you wanted the other thread.

*Flaps my cheeks making funny Boss Nass noises at you*

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

BRIAN BLESSED!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

packetmantis posted:

It's not really a compliment towards FF14, the art style is very generic, just much better than WoW's.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

When I read this my first mental image had it as your rear end cheeks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

rydiafan posted:

When I read this my first mental image had it as your rear end cheeks.

It only just occurred to me after reading your post that it isn't. Internet has ruined me

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I kind of feel that WoW's art used to be better, before they doubled down on big mclargehuge muscle men and greebles everywhere and SHOULDER PLATES.

Cool world to explore:

Ew what the gently caress:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strategic Tea posted:

I kind of feel that WoW's art used to be better, before they doubled down on big mclargehuge muscle men and greebles everywhere and SHOULDER PLATES.

Cool world to explore:

No ring

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strategic Tea posted:

Cool world to explore:

I love to wear armor that stabs me in the gut if I bend over for any reason

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

christmas boots posted:

I love to wear armor that stabs me in the gut if I bend over for any reason

Luckily, he has yet to do anything except stand around and talk, and occasionally wave his hands.

That's the dude who's been retconned to be behind just about every villain and enemy group in the entire Warcraft franchise.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh, I hate villains like that

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The game is overall not very good so far, but in Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries when your dropship deploys you, or when it shows up for retrieval, it will start shooting at every enemy it can see with assorted big weapons and enemies will shoot back.

I really appreciate that! Nine times out of ten games just make these sorts of things non-interactive objects, visuals and setting be damned

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still one of my favorite lines in the game.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Good to see that the remaster updated Joker's cap, and gave him a classy sombrero instead.
Much better at handling glare from any angle. (Or maybe it's one of those huge, floppy straw hats.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It’s the dragon age three crossover event, that’s just cole

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cythereal posted:

Someone should make a mod that replaces every instance of "I should go" with this line.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Battle Brothers understands that you probably don’t want to chase down the three fleeing archers in order to finish a fight and will give you the option to end it right then and there.

However, doing that means you don’t get a chance to loot their bodies. If you do want to go through the effort to kill them the game lets you to buy battle dogs who can chase down and tie up enemies while your guys catch up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

christmas boots posted:

Someone should make a mod that replaces every instance of "I should go" with this line.

I still sincerely love the self-aware moment of "I should go..." in the Citadel DLC :allears:.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Battle Brothers understands that you probably don’t want to chase down the three fleeing archers in order to finish a fight and will give you the option to end it right then and there.

However, doing that means you don’t get a chance to loot their bodies. If you do want to go through the effort to kill them the game lets you to buy battle dogs who can chase down and tie up enemies while your guys catch up.

reading this just now was really weird because despite having owned and played the game for 2 years, I just started another campaign this week and only in the last couple of hours did I finally realise that this was what dogs were for lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

dogs are also really good for going after geists because they can't scream at your dudes while in melee.

also they're good for sacrificing when in melee against orcs because the orcs tend to go after your dogs first...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Strangeland has a "puzzle" in which you have to feed a piece of meat to a beast with six mouths, and you can only hold one piece of meat at a time. Meaning you would give the meat, then have to walk back to the guy who gives you the meat, and walk back to fill in the rest of them...

...except instead of making you do it, after you put in the second one as confirmation of "I figured out the puzzle, it's just doing this many times" the game smash cuts back and forth filling in the rest/getting the meat for you. It would have been an extremely tedious puzzle, but instead it cut the tedium to a minimum.

Also, the game is gross but in a good way. It was very good at making me feel uneasy without being outright revolting. I have said, at more than one point, "oh gently caress no we're not doing that" and then doing the thing. :stonk:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe not a little thing, but I just went to the Glowing Sea for the first time and Bethesda really nailed it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Alhazred posted:

Maybe not a little thing, but I just went to the Glowing Sea for the first time and Bethesda really nailed it.

Yeah, I loved that part. Especially how it stretches past what you'd assume would be the southwest corner of the map just to amplify that feeling of everything being "off".

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Dark Souls 2 again, some of the spells that initially seem really bad can be kind of amazing in the right circumstances.

For instance, Soul Appease, which does unblockable damage in an AOE around you but only to undead and hollow enemies. Doesn't sound too useful at first, roughly the same as a Final Fantasy spell that only damages undead. But there are a lot of undead or hollow enemies, something like half of the enemies in the game, including some bosses. It even trivializes one particular boss fight, a horde of rats with the boss itself being a rat with a mowhawk. Using Souls Appease here will just evaporate like a dozen rats at once and do a solid hit on the boss.

Also, Yearn. Yearn creates a spot some distance from yourself that 'dumb' enemies will run over to attack, ignoring you, and it lasts a little while. Turns out a lot of enemies count for this as well, including most horde style foes, and unless they are in the middle of an attack sequence when it goes off they will immediately drop everything to go chase it, leaving them open for easy backstabs or just other spells. Sure there are areas where it is completely useless (Iron Keep for instance), but other times it can tie up a dozen enemies at once while you just laugh.

The best part though is that Yearn makes a fight that I was always terrible at and makes it a joke. The Executioner's Chariot fight has you running through a closed circuit as the chariot loops around, and getting hit does a lot of damage. You need to duck into cubbyholes in the walls to avoid it, but there are skeletons around who will gang up on you while you hide, quickly killing you by number of attacks alone. But if you use Yearn those skeletons will instead go chase butterflies in traffic, allowing you to easily get to the things reviving them without them killing you, and letting the chariot do the work for you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Alluring Skulls are the throwable item version of Yearn and yeah, they're obscenely powerful considering that even if you don't have any aptitude in magic you can just buy a clutch of them for like 50 souls a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I hate Middle-earth: Shadow of War because I want to make all the orcs my friends forever and ever. :(

Shaka the Tark-Slayer was just so happy he killed me I didn't have the heart to take him out.