Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Zip codes were introduced in 1963 and by 1967 there were ads encouraging people to use them. Not exactly new by the time of this Nancy, but new enough that people would have remembered a time before them. (and presumably didn't feel they were mandatory yet)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

I’m really enjoying footrot flats lately. Dude can really draw some balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I generally don't mind Overboard's brand of cheesiness/weirdness, but 'Nate & Louie vs the Butterfly Researchers' is the weirdest recurring thing to me.

Crab Dad posted:

I’m really enjoying footrot flats lately. Dude can really draw some balls.
I really appreciate its honesty about farm life. Animals get slaughtered, animals gently caress, birth is as rough(and potentially deadly to the mother) as it is in real life.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

I know you need water, but I'm gonna make you hard to reach! I will throw water at you. Hopefully they will invent a product before you shrivel and die! Think like a cactus
— Mitch Hedberg

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (September 1-3, 1934)

That's cool and all that they're standing up for their minority neighbors, but it would be pretty swell if any of them were at the rally (and yes, I am aware that it's Any Time in America1934 and Racism is alive and very well)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The United Reformist Church of Funny Online Animals, est. 1854. "The Moose is My Shepherd; I Shall Not Want".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 5/28/01

"Cleaning yourself won't cut it this time, dirt-boy, you need the suds" is such a good sentence

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Late to FOOB chat, but I think one reason why it's so bad to us now is because in the 80s, misery=drama in terms of family oriented dramas. Think back to "very special episodes" of 80s sitcoms. I'd argue that FOOB's bad writing is bad to us now, but was considered top notch at the time. Sitcom drama story at the time was "junior borrowed the car and broke a mirror" or "sister cheated on a test". Today, family drama is multiple layers of causes interlinked with itself, but in the 80s the mom and dad were fountains of wisdom and the kids were always wrong.

I'm sure in the 80s FOOB was groundbreaking, but today we look at it and say "gently caress thats hosed up"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BigDave posted:

Late to FOOB chat, but I think one reason why it's so bad to us now is because in the 80s, misery=drama in terms of family oriented dramas. Think back to "very special episodes" of 80s sitcoms. I'd argue that FOOB's bad writing is bad to us now, but was considered top notch at the time. Sitcom drama story at the time was "junior borrowed the car and broke a mirror" or "sister cheated on a test". Today, family drama is multiple layers of causes interlinked with itself, but in the 80s the mom and dad were fountains of wisdom and the kids were always wrong.

I'm sure in the 80s FOOB was groundbreaking, but today we look at it and say "gently caress thats hosed up"

Just a reminder for everybody: this series of comics threads is so old - and FOOB ran for so long - that it was originally set up specifically to make fun of For Better or For Worse during the last few years of its original run.

:fireman:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Weembles posted:

Just a reminder for everybody: this series of comics threads is so old - and FOOB ran for so long - that it was originally set up specifically to make fun of For Better or For Worse during the last few years of its original run.

:fireman:

Back in the Good Days. Where bad girls went Roadside. Where Liz left her Other boyfriend and got engaged to the putz who forced his wife to have a baby. When we all wondered, where will I put my trains?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BigDave posted:

The only reason FOOB was acceptable in the 80s, because child abuse was considered a cool and good thing then.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

#$#@! Boxcar! No no no no no!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BigDave posted:

Think back to "very special episodes" of 80s sitcoms.
Remember this poo poo?

(We had to watch this in school. Thanks, Nancy Reagan.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

'Dude, I'm a kid. I didn't divide one gallon to the decimal point among the water bowls for a dog race.'

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Darthemed posted:

'Dude, I'm a kid. I didn't divide one gallon to the decimal point among the water bowls for a dog race.'

I think unfortunately in this case Encyclopedia’s pedantry is justified because the perpetrator was very specific about giving each dog a quart of water (which seems like a lot right before a race, but what do I know?)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 26th, 1940

Axa :sigh:

At least we get more Mark vs. Mule.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Thimble Theater is gold and good lord this is peak avatar.

I want someone to throw this on Jeffrey just so we can take a pool on how long it takes him to change it back.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: DEBATE ME!, or Crowe shows that it's not what you know, but who you know, or Blueberry gets a crash-course in realpolitik

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 30, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: a triumphant (?) return (August 13-19, 2001)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh gently caress I just saw the dates :stare:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh gently caress your air quotes, Batiuk.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The whole storyline is really gross. Batuik is conflating several different kinds of sexism and making all of them out to have the same causes (men are bad) and solutions (being a girlboss). There's zero awareness of any of these problems being institutional since she could overcome all of them via smug hypercompetence.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's a weird undercurrent in stories like this where it's like trying to celebrate the person who gets through these hardships in way that seems to discount all the people who were not able to succeed under those conditions. Also Batiuk is absolutely not the person who should be attempting to tell a story like this.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't even know what to make of "getting harassed made my art better".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 16, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 16, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 16, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Hoopy Frood 5/29/01

Brenda Starr 7/28/46

"For the duration," in this context, means "for the duration of the war."

Also, in honor of today's Hat Lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn73Wtem0No

Smokey Stover 6/1/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

"Fartin Balsam" is a joke on Martin Balsam.

Also, have a 1943 Popeye panel I spotted while gathering more Deathless Deer:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "70 - Jucika at the Zoo"

That lion is just a work of art.

"Jucika in the Storefront"

"Vigyázat = Caution"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kinda get the feeling that goons was the replacement for black people.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (June 11, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 26, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 8, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 13, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 14, 1935)

Mopsy (February 12, 1937)

Dark Laughter (December 1, 1945)

Those Were the Days (July 9, 1953)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

Dinky Fellas (September 2, 1965)

Wee Pals (September 2, 1965)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Someone years ago once said that FBofW had good onamatopeia and it has forever pissed me off since. This isn't even the worst example, there's been more than one time a character eating has been accompanied with the increbily evocative "Munch" "Chew" "Eat"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

Someone years ago once said that FBofW had good onamatopeia and it has forever pissed me off since. This isn't even the worst example, there's been more than one time a character eating has been accompanied with the increbily evocative "Munch" "Chew" "Eat"

Don Martin wrote/drew for us the best onamatopeia and everyone else is competing for a distant second.

e: found the perfect panel

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 30, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's too early to tell, but I've got a feeling that "female cartoonist girlboss beats harrassment" is gonna end up on the top-five list of Most Tasteless/Tonedeaf Batiuk moves.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "70 - Jucika at the Zoo"

That lion is just a work of art.

I am absolutely in love with that lion.

Prince Valiant

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (December 14, 1935)

Oh my god the lions going in a huddle :allears:

I love Oaky Doaks.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!