Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Unpopular video game opinions, huh

*ahem*

Uncharted IV was boring

There, I said it

Sorry I'm late to the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All naughty dog games are boring

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Icochet posted:

If some dweeb at the video game store gave me poo poo about my gaming i'd demand to speak to the manager and make a real scene, get the fucker fired

To be fair it was a pain in the rear end to use PS controllers on PC for a while. If I last checked the issue back then I'd try to talk someone out of the idea.

The Xbox feels good on any typical config because dual-stick and dpad+buttons put your thumbs at the same distance, though inverted. The PS4 makes your thumbs closer together when on the dual sticks than they are on any other controller or config. That's why they feel weird until you're used to it IMO.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I have a really tough time using my middle fingers for l2/r2

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I have a really tough time using my middle fingers for l2/r2

that's because you're not a psychopath

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Even Crash? Even Crash team racing?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Uncharted games are great just cuz you can rattle through most of them in a day, I think Uncharted 4 took me about 17 hours or so, I had a great time but it's not a game I'll ever want to go back and replay

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I want Temporal AA and the stupid ghosting it causes on plants and VFX to die, you can't even turn it off in most games since you have to design some of the graphics to take advantage of that ghosting and turning it off makes it look terrible.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

fridge corn posted:

It’s pretty sad seeing Sony go all in on them. Why does TLOU even need a remake? What kind of gameplay improvements are they even going to add? Apparently it’s not even Naughty Dog working on this, who could just reuse their engine and assets from the sequel.

ND just make derivative games that are only notable because of their high production values. The remake is just being made to promote the TLOU TV show, despite the original being already available to anyone with a PS3, 4 or 5. You don’t need to watch an Uncharted movie or TLOU TV show because the franchises are just rip-offs of what already exists.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really enjoy a highly produced method when it comes to game design, I don't think most of the games that leads too are outright AMAZING to play or even that interesting to replay down the line but it's still an enjoyable experience.

Take The Last of Us, its a good game to play because then you can enjoy a well made 8/10 videogame and you can also call out both the edgelords who say is absolute trash garbage but also the weirdos who are like "omg last of us is the best game ever made 10 stars"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sony's going all in on TLOU because they sell 20 million+ copies and have an insanely high completion rate.

I also had so little fun with TLOU1 that I'll never play 2

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Actually the ideal controller layout is a qwerty keyboard + trackball mouse. Modern games require a ton of inputs to unlock their full potential, and having only four face buttons that the thumb presses one at a time is too limiting. There should be hotkeys, and ideally keyboard overlays with cute cartoon graphics telling you what each button does.

If the standard controller design is still going to be used they should at least put four buttons on the back of each side of the controller

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bring back deus ex controls. F1-F12 are all in play and F12 is the one you'll use the most.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

It’s pretty sad seeing Sony go all in on them. Why does TLOU even need a remake? What kind of gameplay improvements are they even going to add? Apparently it’s not even Naughty Dog working on this, who could just reuse their engine and assets from the sequel.

Speaking of remakes, I was kinda looking forward to the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, but even initially I decided I would only get it on sale. I watched some gameplay and the improvements seem to be so minor that I think I'll wait for a -50% sale.

There was very little gameplay changes in ME1, which needed the most updating. And IMO ME2 and ME3 require very little updating because they are pretty modern.

TLOU was 2013! That's a blink of an eye ago and it still looks good.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Never played the Uncharted games, but watched LP's of them. They seemed pretty fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

poverty goat posted:

bring back deus ex controls. F1-F12 are all in play and F12 is the one you'll use the most.

Love having hundreds of screenshots of vents in my steam page

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Take The Last of Us, its a good game to play because then you can enjoy a well made 8/10 videogame and you can also call out both the edgelords who say is absolute trash garbage but also the weirdos who are like "omg last of us is the best game ever made 10 stars"

I agree, I played it when it came out on PS3 and liked it. I just don’t enjoy this kind of game as much as I used to, and I didn’t get very far in the PS4 version since the gameplay wasn’t engaging enough for another playthrough.

I just don’t want this to be the only kind of game Sony wants to be made. It’s like the difference between early 2000’s Ubisoft with Splinter Cell, BG&E, Rayman, Prince of Persia etc. to today which is just different flavours of Assassin’s Creed.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really really like the combat in last of us, I can't wait for the multiplayer from Last of Us 2. It really is the best in its class of predator stealth gameplay.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Actually AvP1's multiplayer that is effectively red rover is the best predator stealth gameplay.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The combat in TLoU was so bad I forgot there was a story I didn't care about and quit.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waltzing Along posted:

The combat in TLoU was so bad I forgot there was a story I didn't care about and quit.

Same but nier automata

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Same but nier automata

Same but nier automata and tlou

itry
Aug 23, 2019

At least Nier can play itself while you go have a drink

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Of the top of my head there are only 3 videogames I've played which were utterly garbage and just outright boring

Assassins Creed Syndicate
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Far Cry Primal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have never been so bored as when I played TLoU. Just boring as hell from start to finish even when you’re jamming a stick into a mushroom zombie. Shameful

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can get why people disliked the gameplay in TLoU, it's neither complex nor groundbreaking but I dunno the game did enough with its narrative and its setup to compel me to play it

Stark contrast to Assassins Creed which felt like shovelling poo poo from the first logo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I liked ac odyssey but when I played it I had just gotten back from holiday in Greece so it was pretty :cool:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Incidentally I just started playing ac Valhalla and it feels kinda bad to play compared to odyssey in the same way that immortals fenyx rising felt really bad to play so im kinda worried

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The Duke was ergonomically the most comfortable controller for me. It also had good-feeling sticks and I liked the tension on the triggers when playing shooters or racing games. Granted the D-pad is one of the worst ever made, the b/w buttons were an awful idea, and the ABXY buttons being on a curve didn't work for stuff like fighting games, but I haven't really found a controller that fits my hands as comfortably as the Duke.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Outpost22 posted:

Never played the Uncharted games, but watched LP's of them. They seemed pretty fun.

Yeah the Uncharted games are just movies where you get to control the action sequences. As long as you set your expectations to that they're a lot of fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had a roommate who had an OG Xbox soon after release. I thought it was a joke because the controllers were so bad. I wasn't even a console player at the time. I was just shocked that any serious video game machine would have controllers that unwieldy.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Uncharted games are probably the best example of games that should be played on their easiest difficulty

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Uncharted games are probably the best example of games that should be played on their easiest difficulty

that is to say, they should be watched on youtube

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

ND just make derivative games that are only notable because of their high production values. The remake is just being made to promote the TLOU TV show, despite the original being already available to anyone with a PS3, 4 or 5. You don’t need to watch an Uncharted movie or TLOU TV show because the franchises are just rip-offs of what already exists.

I love ND games but I agree with a decent amount of this post. In fact I haven't seen a single TLOU fan express anything but confusion at the remake. it feels so wholly unnecessary.

And their main talent is taking movie/prestige tropes and turning them into good games so, yes making TV shows and movies out of their games feels pretty redundant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Icochet posted:

If some dweeb at the video game store gave me poo poo about my gaming i'd demand to speak to the manager and make a real scene, get the fucker fired

gently caress off Chris-Chan

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I liked AC syndicate but there's at least 1 mission is that literally 45 seconds long

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I had a roommate who had an OG Xbox soon after release. I thought it was a joke because the controllers were so bad. I wasn't even a console player at the time. I was just shocked that any serious video game machine would have controllers that unwieldy.

it was a rough time for consoles. nintendo was close to a good modern controller but then made some goofball choices and missed a few buttons. playstation was still doing the torture device controller form and xbox controller was the huge exoskeleton for the eventual good controller and nobody could get it open

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ilmucche posted:

I liked AC syndicate but there's at least 1 mission is that literally 45 seconds long

you say that like spending less time playing Assassin's Creed is a bad thing

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i went nes -> n64 -> dreamcast -> 360 -> ps4. i totally skipped the ps2/og xbox era. i was pretty sure i was done after dreamcast, but ended up buying fallout 3, a 360, and my first ever flat screen tv all together one time when i felt like i had too much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I could never afford to get a new console every generation, so I went nes > snes > dreamcast > wii > switch

The only reason I got the snes was because my grandma found one at a garage sale