Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Real hurthling! posted:

isnt wwz the movie where loud muslim prayers doom israel by coaxing the zombies to breach the wall?

Yes and it was crazy stupid. I never read the comic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Office Pig posted:

you have to wonder if the absurd continuation of the israeli government from america in some years wasn't at least partly a product of fearing this exact outcome. not enough to be anything but a negligible factor, mind you, but we're talking about a nuclear power whose population has been so radicalized that the very suggestion of peace alone seems to be cause for murder. remote as the possibility seems, there has to have been at least one person who gave these circumstances a good looking over and decided a controlling thug like netanyahu was a better alternative than someone who really represented the israelis.

the west-bank settlers effectively run the Israeli government at this point and control their policy on Palestinians

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Truniht posted:

the west-bank settlers effectively run the Israeli government at this point and control their policy on Palestinians

yes, and given how settlers behave when given a mic and an audience, it's hardly a surprise there's an entire media apparatus dedicated to making sure that poo poo stays out of the limelight

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

isnt wwz the movie where loud muslim prayers doom israel by coaxing the zombies to breach the wall?

The Walls of Jericho.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I'm guessing the new administration is going to be slightly less tight with the white house?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fCafHmNYVc
Netanyahu has personally insulted people currently in the White House, while Bennet offers a new opportunity!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Oh cool, things are going to get even worse.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
it's actually a good example of the enemy of your enemy not actually being your friend and in fact has a gun under his shirt pointed right at you but i think that lesson is going to fall on deaf ears again

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

Oh cool, things are going to get even worse.

they're going to shake hands and smile at the camera and somehow five thousand Palestinians will immediately vanish off the face of the earth

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fCafHmNYVc
Netanyahu has personally insulted people currently in the White House, while Bennet offers a new opportunity!

That's the smirk of a man who has killed before and will kill again.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's the smirk of a man who has killed before and will kill again.

thank you for watching long enough to provide a summary so succinct as this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mister Guterres.
You could have saved them
I gave you all the clues

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

I loved that in world war z they tried to make brad pitt’s wife this character we are supposed to feel bad for even though she is sitting safely on a battleship far from any zombies all while billions die.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
the WWZ movie apparently went through some major rewrites; iirc someone from Lost was supposed to have a big part in the movie and it got cut down so hard that they basically had a minor bit part that stuck out like a sore thumb. it's been ages since I read the book or watched the movie, but I remember the book as a more journalism-style trek through how the conflict was affecting and being affected by people in various regions and the movie as some F-rate trash zombie flick that retained nothing of value or interest from the book. this isn't an endorsement of the book, it's an indictment of the movie

Elysiume has issued a correction as of 12:37 on May 29, 2021

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

oh its better than that. it's israelis and palestinians coexisting peacefully and happily that sets off the zombie horde.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Zombies as a concept has already become racist enough without needing to argue that walls and apartheid is good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

Zombies as a concept has already become racist enough without needing to argue that walls and apartheid is good

It's no surprise why the Walking Dead was a hit in red states while blue states liked Game of Thrones (Which just need a the right type of authoritarian leadership/technocrat to run things!) .

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

It's no surprise why the Walking Dead was a hit in red states while blue states liked Game of Thrones (Which just need a the right type of authoritarian leadership/technocrat to run things!) .

what if i hate both of those shows

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rutibex posted:

toxic berniebro

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Grimson posted:

oh its better than that. it's israelis and palestinians coexisting peacefully and happily that sets off the zombie horde.
The Palestinians just simply start...chanting in celebration and that somehow sets the zombies off. They are in a city and yet they are the loudest thing there.

etalian posted:

To me the worst part of the zombie genre is the general message that society is so fragile that if placed in any pressure society will lose all goodness and people will become feral animals who will rape, kill, and steal without second thought. Only the most ruthless and most cutthroat will survive. And the government, despite it's endless arsenal of guns and trained personnel would fail to survive the outbreak while Joe Sixpack who goes hunting on weekends will live a relatively comfortable life.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Walking Dead comic still kind of rules though. Spoilers for the ending: Eventually it turns out that the government did in fact survive, and that there's a continuation government running its own state that's able to recreate a late 19th century industrial civilization. In the ending Rick's son Carl, now a middle aged man, loses a property dispute in court because he killed a carnival barker's circus zombie.

American zombie stories are always going to reflect some kind of ur-libertarian psychosis though. Foreign zombie films still have something cogent to say. Like how South Korean zombie movies aren't just about the zombies, they're also about how the murderous politics of military rule persist as an unliving social disease. Train to Busan is a very subtle left wing movie, and the prequel animated film is explicitly left wing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Palestinians just simply start...chanting in celebration and that somehow sets the zombies off. They are in a city and yet they are the loudest thing there.

That part in book was really unbelievable since we know the loudest thing in the city would be two Jewish guys arguing with each other.

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/last-jews-in-afghanistan-argued-so-much-the-taliban-kicked-them-out-of-prison/

quote:

The Taliban was so annoyed by their constant fighting that they threw them in jail. But they eventually kicked them out when they continued to fight inside the prison. Levi died in 2005.

“[The Taliban] beat me a lot,” Simentov told Foreign Policy. “I was imprisoned several times because of this charlatan Levy [sic]. He wanted to get rid of me to sell the synagogue. But thank God he was not successful.”

Unfortunately, their feuding also allowed the Taliban to run away with the synagogue’s Torah. Scribed in the 15th century, the scroll was allegedly taken by Taliban’s interior minister and sold on the black market.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The Israel bits in the WWZ book are super naive especially in light of the 16 years since it was written, but the movie is just loving awful. In the book, Israel is the first nation to take the zombie threat seriously. They build a huge wall, close their borders, and invite the entire Palestinian diaspora back, explicitly creating a one-state solution. The Israeli right then start a civil war, and are explicitly shown to be stupid and wrong for doing this. The book isn't good though.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Rutibex posted:

ah, a Black Sails fan you must be ancap or maybe a syndicalist whatever pirates count as

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wasn't it like just Cuba that ended up with a sensible response, or was it just sort of implied they kept the zombie stuff out by both sides authoritarian strict border closures or whatever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I remember in the movie the part where only North Korea is left as a coherent state because they're the only ones crazy enough to pull all their teeth out. I don't know if that's in the book, because I can't read.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reading is for suckers, one weird trick to get propagandized!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

the book had some interesting geopolitical outcomes because it dealt with zombies as a global natural disaster, an intense pandemic. There was stuff like an Iran-Pakistan border conflict to block infected refugees that escalated into nuclear war because the two nations never had a red phone hotline diplomatic apparatus in place, unlike India and Pakistan

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i only watch Entourage on repeat.

free palastine bro

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

how could Corbyn do this?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i saw jeremy corbyn making babies with hitler in the closet and one of the babies looked at me

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/YousefMunayyer/status/1398738339138785281?s=20

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Maximo Roboto posted:

the book had some interesting geopolitical outcomes because it dealt with zombies as a global natural disaster, an intense pandemic. There was stuff like an Iran-Pakistan border conflict to block infected refugees that escalated into nuclear war because the two nations never had a red phone hotline diplomatic apparatus in place, unlike India and Pakistan

On a somewhat related note, that author came out with another book this year that uses the same format as world war z to describe a confrontation between yuppies and sasquatches and its pretty alright.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

On a somewhat related note, that author came out with another book this year that uses the same format as world war z to describe a confrontation between yuppies and sasquatches and its pretty alright.

Harry and the Hendersons, the one state solution

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The World War Z movie basically stops it’s mediocre action Brad Pitt hero movie to do a 20 minute infomercial on why Israel is great and it’s very weird. They end it with “Isreal would have been a bastion of civilization but they invited in Muslims so they all died. Really makes you think, huh?”

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Anyway, the whole reason why I brought up zombies anyway was because WWZ first brought up the idea of an Israeli Civil War to me, like at the time I didn’t realize there was an even more extreme right-wing who would want to fight against the government. I guess it also explains like this old op-ed by an Israeli secular conservative(?) being extremely racist against both Palestinians and Haredis at the same time. But given how Yitzhak Rabin was killed by an Israeli right-wing extremist, these people aren’t rare.

This also really easily explains Hindutva fans of Israel, the Indian equivalent assassinated Gandhi after all. What’s Rabin’s modern legacy anyway?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

what am i supposed to see in this tweet?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

what am i supposed to see in this tweet?

https://twitter.com/YousefMunayyer/status/1398740763568185351?s=19
https://twitter.com/YousefMunayyer/status/1398741819945541640?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1398755947602923522?s=20

Big rally in DC today calling for sanctions on Israel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

thats like at least 15 antisemitisms