Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

err posted:

That only explains that specific encounter right? So just one?
I can't find it. Link?

This is evidently some of the footage from when John Lear and Bob Lazar would drive out to the black mailbox (!) and film stuff flying over area 51.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUMrderbGM

Bob Lazar is clearly completely full of poo poo, but I've never quite bought the plasma ball explanation for this either. That seems like it would be a big departure from Area 51's usual activities, and at least from aerial photographs it would seem to lack the equipment / place to hide the necessary equipment. It also seems like they would sooner test such a thing at Dugway / Utah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rickshaw posted:

This is evidently some of the footage from when John Lear and Bob Lazar would drive out to the black mailbox (!) and film stuff flying over area 51.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUMrderbGM

Bob Lazar is clearly completely full of poo poo, but I've never quite bought the plasma ball explanation for this either. That seems like it would be a big departure from Area 51's usual activities, and at least from aerial photographs it would seem to lack the equipment / place to hide the necessary equipment. It also seems like they would sooner test such a thing at Dugway / Utah.

that looks a lot like recent stuff

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

what if the lasers that make the plasma balls are on satellites

there that explains the puerto rico video as well

lame

i'm just gonna choose to believe that it's aliens

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Look if it's so easy to do this why haven't there been evil geniuses making satellites to terrorize countries by projecting alien invasions and poo poo????

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Nichael posted:

that looks a lot like recent stuff

In that it's a defocused point source of light, sure

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Grapplejack posted:

Look if it's so easy to do this why haven't there been evil geniuses making satellites to terrorize countries by projecting alien invasions and poo poo????

the ufo story is a cover for the existence of mad scientist terrorists

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've never believed all of lazars claims, but it feels like he was hired as a computer janitor/technician/actual janitor and as an un-indoctrinated insider, spilled the beans about something. I don't know if he ever knew anything juicy or if he's spinning a fake tale about real high tech stuff. I've expected the black projects exist but his explanation is BS.

Bringing people to see test flights gives a lot of credence to the idea they were developing something cool and he knew a few details, at least, even if the whole story is fabricated.

That was literally decades ago. I'd suspect without a war breaking out against another great power, we've just been sitting on some cool aerospace stuff to keep a secret leg up. If other things are any indication, the intervening decades would be plenty of time for adversarial nations to gather info about it and reproduce it, probably even before the Nimitz encounter but even that was a long while ago.

I could totally see this being a roundabout way to make fusion public or something. The CIA (lot of these black projects are cia planes) would have interests in propping up the existing petrodollar/oil company monopoly on the modern world. The navy has a different set of considerations and wouldn't perceive the same value of keeping tech hidden from the public. The whole disclosure thing stinks of internecine conflict to me rather than aliens sadly.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If we're talking about fringe science, there is this Chinese lady who claimed to have invented gravity propulsion in the 80s, patented it, founded a company, and then left her university and vanished off the face of the Earth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ning_Li_(physicist)

Probably, she was just a fraud or deluded and did what frauds and deluded people do, which is just slink away and live in anonymity doing something else and it's just that nobody ever looks for them. Maybe she died. Or maybe things began to get very strange after that. Her job was at the University of Alabama, so I can see why someone would want to just walk away from that if they were not competitive for other physics jobs somewhere better.

I don't know poo poo about physics, so I don't know how good any of her stuff was, but there is this recent youtube video if anyone thinks it would be interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_rEzKdzBA

just from the wikipedia page it says she was a professor at university of alabama huntsville which since huntsville is a nexus of a lot of aerospace and defense companies (eg it's where von braun and his team were set up after operation paperclip) i don't think is as bad a gig as it sounds

WEH posted:

I really recommend looking into the amount of energy needed for only one plasma ball matching the description and actions exhibited, much less the 16 or w/e actually present.

they invented free zero point vacuum energy but instead of using it to fly spaceships they use it to do fake spaceships

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Delta-Wye posted:

I've never believed all of lazars claims, but it feels like he was hired as a computer janitor/technician/actual janitor and as an un-indoctrinated insider, spilled the beans about something. I don't know if he ever knew anything juicy or if he's spinning a fake tale about real high tech stuff. I've expected the black projects exist but his explanation is BS.

Here's the farthest I've gone to entertain Lazar's story. He lied to everyone that he had a PhD from Caltech and degree from MIT, so suppose he was in the habit of lying about his credentials as a matter of course. He also was subcontracting at Los Alamos with John Lear to clean radiation badges, and multiple lines of evidence put him there, so it's not impossible that he could have met Teller before a colloquium like he describes.

So suppose he lies to Teller about his PhDs and propulsion research, and Teller is impressed enough (Lazar is an experienced and convincing conman) gets him into the black program through EG&G as described. They keep him around for a couple weeks before they figure out he's full of poo poo, and then he's "on the run" as described and things develop from there.

It would explain his short tenure at the base, lack of credentials, etc. But overall, it's easier to believe he was just spinning tales for John Lear. Read Gene Huff's testimony about what the early days of that were like and see for yourself: https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/bluefire-main/bluefire/the-bob-lazar-corner/the-lazar-synopsis/

According to John Lear (in a project camelot interview that I can no longer find on youtube) Lazar was read into so many things sitting in a little room at S4. He learned about how the AIDS virus was manufactured, and of its cure, he ran across aliens in person a couple times, he saw the aurora spy plane, etc. All within a few weeks, and wildly out of keeping with compartmentalized information access (why does he need to know about all this stuff and how aliens view people as containers for souls and all this crap if he's just working on the propulsion?)

All of this leaves out the glaring problems with his physics, too. And now Lazar reappeared after 20 years or whatever to go on Joe Rogan's show, and as a result r/UFOS is flooded with idiots turning it into an unreadable shithole.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

pancake rabbit posted:

lame

don't let the gip posters who all came out of the woodwork to just poo poo on UFO's. check the post history.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Rickshaw posted:

I've looked into her before, because of all the bullshit antigravity claims that have come and gone, this one seemed to be based on an actual calculation and I thought "hey, I could probably check that work." This is all from memory now, because while I did find her papers at one, I haven't had much luck lately. Her first paper laid out the theory, the second paper reported a null result, and there was some talk that the expected effect was orders of magnitude too small to ever be detected in a lab, let alone useful. That's what I wanted to investigate.

Her work starts from a speculative extension of general relativity. The details might be hard to grasp if you're not familiar with GR, but the basic idea (Einstein-Cartan theory) is to essentially allow general relativistic effects to not only stretch and compress spacetime but also to twist it. Technically: GR starts with an assumption of a torsion-free connection. You relax that assumption to get Einstein-Cartain theory. The torsion component of the connection would have to couple to matter's intrinsic angular momentum, analogous to how the metric couples to matter's stress-energy tensor. That means quantum mechanical spin enters the equations.

Einstein-Cartan theory is generally ignored because it adds enormous complication to an already difficult theoretical framework, for predicted effects that are wildly smaller than anything we'd ever hope to detect. On the other hand, why shouldn't the connection have torsion? Unlike a lot of speculative extensions of the standard model or MOND or what have you, Einstein-Cartan feels like a very natural extension of what we already know, just with physics and predictions that are largely irrelevant and safely ignored.

So Ning Li's idea, if I have it right, was to create a large coherent spin state in condensed matter and use that to couple to the gravitational field. I believe the idea was to use rotating superconductors (this is where my understanding / expertise gets hazy). The initial ideas might have been motivated by Podkletnov's crackpot garbage science, which does not bode well. The null result was published and Ning Li disappeared.

So here's the challenge: reproduce the basic order-of-magnitude calculation for a spin state coupled to gravity, and estimate how many particles you'd need to get a measurable effect.

super rad post, thank you

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rickshaw posted:

Here's the farthest I've gone to entertain Lazar's story. He lied to everyone that he had a PhD from Caltech and degree from MIT, so suppose he was in the habit of lying about his credentials as a matter of course. He also was subcontracting at Los Alamos with John Lear to clean radiation badges, and multiple lines of evidence put him there, so it's not impossible that he could have met Teller before a colloquium like he describes.

So suppose he lies to Teller about his PhDs and propulsion research, and Teller is impressed enough (Lazar is an experienced and convincing conman) gets him into the black program through EG&G as described. They keep him around for a couple weeks before they figure out he's full of poo poo, and then he's "on the run" as described and things develop from there.

It would explain his short tenure at the base, lack of credentials, etc. But overall, it's easier to believe he was just spinning tales for John Lear. Read Gene Huff's testimony about what the early days of that were like and see for yourself: https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/bluefire-main/bluefire/the-bob-lazar-corner/the-lazar-synopsis/

According to John Lear (in a project camelot interview that I can no longer find on youtube) Lazar was read into so many things sitting in a little room at S4. He learned about how the AIDS virus was manufactured, and of its cure, he ran across aliens in person a couple times, he saw the aurora spy plane, etc. All within a few weeks, and wildly out of keeping with compartmentalized information access (why does he need to know about all this stuff and how aliens view people as containers for souls and all this crap if he's just working on the propulsion?)

All of this leaves out the glaring problems with his physics, too. And now Lazar reappeared after 20 years or whatever to go on Joe Rogan's show, and as a result r/UFOS is flooded with idiots turning it into an unreadable shithole.

this makes sense and fits in with my vague notion of what might have happened. lazar has that vibe to him that non-technical people could hear him and promote him thinking they found a diamond in the rough, but then he gets pulled into the inside of the system they quickly find he can't talk shop with properly technical folks. was he gullible and fed disinfo? making up tall tales? ill have to read the gene huff piece, im only familiar with the "back"engineering story and not the other stuff (aids, etc) which sounds dumb as hell. even if he is full of poo poo, the framework of his story is basically what i would expect to find if crashes and reverse engineering were happening. the most important core of his story to me seems to be obviously true - area51 exists, and there is definitely groundbreaking aerospace work being done there :shrug:

Shear Modulus posted:

just from the wikipedia page it says she was a professor at university of alabama huntsville which since huntsville is a nexus of a lot of aerospace and defense companies (eg it's where von braun and his team were set up after operation paperclip) i don't think is as bad a gig as it sounds
they invented free zero point vacuum energy but instead of using it to fly spaceships they use it to do fake spaceships

ive spent some time there, only campus i know of in the usa with a building proudly named after a nazi :911: i find the narrative thread where she stumbled across a neat and useful physics effect and disappeared into either an american or prc black project interesting. that could happen even if it was bullshit; she could easily have disappeared into such a thing with a bunk theory too! i would expect to find an overinvestment in longshots if you start digging through all the black projects big modern governments fund.

however, i could also see uah hiring a crackpot, and eventually when her pet theory she wouldn't let go of came coming up as not working, she hosed off to obscurity. having watched a talk of hers, im sadly inclined to believe this extremely boring answer.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
My uncle works at area 51 and he is a UFO pilot and he gets off whenever people think his Amazing USA military gets excused as a alien. He knows america is super powerful and these UFO enthusiests think its ALIENS. bah what a joke. in america we worship GUNS and MIGHT and there iant no ufos its just really big guns! AMERICA

The end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bob Lazar is a total fraud and a con man. His whole history is petty crime and hustling people—before and after getting ufo famous. He got busted for running a sex ring the year he gave that first tv interview. He just knew a little math and came up with a plausible story for how crashed ufos would be reverse-engineered. If he had any actual engineering or scientific knowledge, he would have been able to get a job somewhere, but he’s never had a straight job in his life. But he is extremely good at sounding earnest and seeming like the kind of guy who would have a Ph.D. from MIT.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bob Lazar is a total fraud and a con man. His whole history is petty crime and hustling people—before and after getting ufo famous. He got busted for running a sex ring the year he gave that first tv interview. He just knew a little math and came up with a plausible story for how crashed ufos would be reverse-engineered. If he had any actual engineering or scientific knowledge, he would have been able to get a job somewhere, but he’s never had a straight job in his life. But he is extremely good at sounding earnest and seeming like the kind of guy who would have a Ph.D. from MIT.

yeah Lazar's always been full of poo poo sadly

John Lear too, that guy is either a con man or legit high on his own supply. He would post long screeds analyzing NASA moon photo "anomalous structures" and saying look, proof that there are alien cities on the moon!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

lame

if it came from a satellite it's alien to earth

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

what is a large coherent spin state in condensed matter? is that like aligning the quantum spin of all the atoms (?) in some matter? Does aligning spins effect gravity or something?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

or maybe were seeing more of one than the other because they have different applications. or hey maybe its really fancy and after ignition theres a feedback loop or null state generated where the power requirements are met without further input, idk man what if there are ships in the bubbles powering the bubble its a fun way to tease at what the tech might be no matter its point of origin

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

however, i could also see uah hiring a crackpot, and eventually when her pet theory she wouldn't let go of came coming up as not working, she hosed off to obscurity. having watched a talk of hers, im sadly inclined to believe this extremely boring answer.

Podkletnov (the guy who did the original spinning superconductor disc antigravity stuff that Ning Li worked from) is still around and claims to have made progress.

"My latest research shows that working with composite materials that do not include superconductors at all, we’re able to create gravity fields, in vacuum, in the air, and so far in every object placed within the vicinity of this experimental gravity generator. It’s a much more efficient method.”

Currently, I think we can generate a lifting force of about 300 to 500 kilograms per square meter. I’ve tested these devices in vacuum conditions and they appear to generate the same force, which rules out atmospheric effects.

It also appears that this experiment can generate either a repulsive force or an attractive one, depending on the geometrical configuration of the experiment. That’s why we’re not using the term “gravity shield” anymore, it just isn’t appropriate."

https://medium.com/predict/eugene-podkletnovs-new-gravity-modification-experimental-video-b7813b04c6f8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHY96b1ny0

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

what is a large coherent spin state in condensed matter? is that like aligning the quantum spin of all the atoms (?) in some matter?

That was Ning's idea, at least, as I remember it.

Feral Integral posted:

Does aligning spins effect gravity or something?

Not in traditional general relativity, no.

But Ning's idea was that if this other flavor of general relativity is true (Einstein-Cartan theory, neither confirmed nor refuted by current experimental evidence), then maybe it could.

edit: it is pretty much certain to be bullshit

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

what is a large coherent spin state in condensed matter? is that like aligning the quantum spin of all the atoms (?) in some matter? Does aligning spins effect gravity or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRGdnvM06M

here she is explaining it. its not very compelling to me, sadly.

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7psGj4M1ZI

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
dutroux affair-ufo activity correlation confirmed

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I don't think aliens are real tbh

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iox57lTnJDc

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
and I'm just not sure about ufos tbh

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Unexplained Flatulence, Ooooh

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
the american military making 1st contact, just imagine it

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
maybe the aliens are mechanical, more than meets the eye?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

that goddamn voice gives me chills. its a completely conditioned response, im sure id get the same experience listening to robert stack read a specials menu to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That theme song loving freezes my blood in a moment. I heard it as somebody’s ring tone years ago and almost jumped out of my chair in shock.

Lib_Crusher
Dec 6, 2018
https://twitter.com/UfoAkten/status/1398597820744093697

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think there's an outside shot that Lazar is pulling the same poo poo as Richard Doty, in that he feeds mostly bullshit mixed with just enough truth to an audience willing to buy everything, in a largely successful attempt to cover up sightings of real black projects in alien bullshit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

now this is my poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

weather balloon

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004

drat thats nuts now im a believer again

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Im guessing this is the plasma bubble stuff that got mentioned earlier?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It's probably a drone with a strobe attached specifically to gently caress with the guy who thinks he's catching something exotic at area 51 in 2021

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Amazing strobe light technology that turns both on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Vernii posted:

Im guessing this is the plasma bubble stuff that got mentioned earlier?

That's what it looks like imo but my expertise comes from two YouTube videos

WEH posted:

It's probably a drone with a strobe attached specifically to gently caress with the guy who thinks he's catching something exotic at area 51 in 2021

Also an entirely convincing explanation

e I do wonder if area 51 is just kind of burned and they just have people there turning the lights on and off to distract people while the real warp drives are developed in the base from Stargate or something

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 02:39 on May 30, 2021