Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
used panamera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

PittTheElder posted:

So is paying cash for a vehicle just a complete trap? I was genuinely surprised when I ran the numbers yesterday and even at relatively awful 7% interest rates, the finance cost is significantly less than a modest return from the market.

I think it's important to evaluate your whole financial picture and lever up using the best paper you can find, wherever that might come from. Like in my case my forever home is financed at 2.875% using a 15-year fixed rate mortgage and we went for the maximum we could borrow at this rate. On the other hand, both my cars are all equity because I don't think I could get a better financing deal than the mortgage, and it facilitates my automotive ADD a little to have no liens on those titles. The rest of my net worth (apart from a cash cushion) is in various investment funds, some of which have their own leverage, and I have no desire to be any more levered than I currently am. But if I was in the market for a car that could be financed at 0.9% you bet I'd be tempted...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you're buying a new car and can get incentive financing in the 0-1% range, which many/most OEMs are almost always offering, I think it's silly not to take advantage of it. Unless you have a pathological aversion to cheap/free debt.

That said, I don't think you should use cheap debt to inflate your budget or overextend yourself. Ideally you buy a car that you could pay cash outright, but instead keep it banked/invested by leveraging that ultra-low rate financing. So that advice is assuming some fiscal responsibility which a lot of folks obviously don't have.

If instead you take the financing and then also blow that same 30-50k cash or whatever on a bunch of other junk instead of leaving it invested you're an American patriot a big old dummy.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 28, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution to running out of money is obviously make more money

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well I'm leaning towards buying a year old used model, which sadly means giving up the preferential 0-1% rate I could otherwise get from an OEM. I do have the cash to buy it outright, but the more I look at this the more that looks like a stupid decision.

Like if I financed $20k at the 6.99% available from the seller of the used vehicle, that gives a cost of borrowing of 3,755. To break even on an investment I'd only need to hit an annualized return of 3.5%, I was really surprised it was that low.

The thing every resource I can find says to do is secure separate financing through my own bank, but it looks like the rates I could expect there are about the same?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Well I'm leaning towards buying a year old used model, which sadly means giving up the preferential 0-1% rate I could otherwise get from an OEM. I do have the cash to buy it outright, but the more I look at this the more that looks like a stupid decision.

Like if I financed $20k at the 6.99% available from the seller of the used vehicle, that gives a cost of borrowing of 3,755. To break even on an investment I'd only need to hit an annualized return of 3.5%, I was really surprised it was that low.

The thing every resource I can find says to do is secure separate financing through my own bank, but it looks like the rates I could expect there are about the same?

The amount to make to profit is 6.99%+whatever you want your profit to be man..this math is not very hard to conceptualize. The part you're missing is where you have to withdraw your investment to make your car payment, and if you aren't doing that you're actually "investing" more than the 20k.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If your rate to borrow is 7% pay cash IMO, that's quite high

My credit union advertises 2.69% on used cars (newer than 2011), is your credit score bad?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 28, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Because for some reason I still don't understand, all the other millennials got together without me to decide that the new "cool car that shows you're a wealthy and interesting person" was going to be full-size SUVs and pickup trucks. I must have slept in that day. Maybe Gen Z will save us with 80s wedges again.

Wealthy people like Athletes and Actors have had a big baller SUV of some sort in their stable since 2000 or so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

The amount to make to profit is 6.99%+whatever you want your profit to be man..this math is not very hard to conceptualize. The part you're missing is where you have to withdraw your investment to make your car payment, and if you aren't doing that you're actually "investing" more than the 20k.

Well I could just make the monthly payments without drawing down the investment. But yeah you're right that in the scenario where I pay cash, the proper alternative is to count the payment I'm not making as investments.

Assuming I don't take the patriotic route anyway :v:

Guinness posted:

If instead you take the financing and then also blow that same 30-50k cash or whatever on a bunch of other junk instead of leaving it invested you're an American patriot a big old dummy.

Honestly I have crazy option paralysis going on in my head right now. I know what make/model of vehicle I want, the options I'm looking at are basically new middle-trim or year old top-trim; as near as I can tell the financial cost comes out pretty close on them, so the question becomes do I want a new one with Wireless Android Auto, or the year old with real leather, vented seats and a heated steering wheel? And I've just been talking myself in circles for weeks.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 28, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

how much money are you really saving by buying a year old used model? (my guess in the current market is very little)

7% is steep, I imagine your bank can do better for you unless your credit really sucks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean my credit should be excellent, though I haven't actually pulled a score or anything. Like I was actually confused nobody (outside of OEMs) seems to be offering better than 6-7%, I don't know if that's a Canada thing or what. Gonna call those guys again this afternoon.

Used model is discounted about $7k off what the same trim would be new right now, 18,000 km.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

Well I could just make the monthly payments without drawing down the investment. But yeah you're right that in the scenario where I pay cash, the proper alternative is to count the payment I'm not making as investments.

Assuming I don't take the patriotic route anyway :v:
Honestly I have crazy option paralysis going on in my head right now. I know what make/model of vehicle I want, the options I'm looking at are basically new middle-trim or year old top-trim; as near as I can tell the financial cost comes out pretty close on them, so the question becomes do I want a new one with Wireless Android Auto, or the year old with real leather, vented seats and a heated steering wheel? And I've just been talking myself in circles for weeks.
Even if you don't draw down to make payments, the opportunity cost is reduced by the payment amount. Because if you don't have the loan your budget is able to apply that equivalent payment money to your investment account, which is what you are doing by not drawing down. It really is debt interest needs to match asset interest or else you are personally paying to make one side seem better like M. Night Skymall said.

Put total cost of ownership on each option on a piece of paper and ask if you can live with those numbers for the features you get. Save the accounting for later, assume worst case loan terms, and ask your gut can I live with this number disappearing from my bank accounts for my shiny chariot. Your answers may surprise you.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

never buy things, only make Number Go Up

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford Maverick is coming out soon if all y'all want to put your money where your mouth is on small trucks.

Hell. loving. Yes.

I don't make new car money, but if it's any good at all I am absolutely grabbing one of these used as soon as I can. Please do it right, Ford, don't gently caress this up.

(People who like this not wanting to buy it new, one more nail in its inevitable coffin)

PCjr sidecar posted:

Also the hyundai santa cruz if youre feeling like a baja/brat/camino

Hell yes to this style-wise, but it's a shame they based it on a mid-sized SUV and not a compact like the Maverick. Still too big.

I don't hate the look of the base Bronco Sport, tbh, if they end up being reliable-ish that might also be an option.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 28, 2021

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
I was about to put money down for a new car but after we "agreed" on a price the dealership guy snuck in some bullshit called StarGuard for $995. He said it was a theft deterrent device but one second of Googling shows that it's just a way for dealerships to track down past-due cars to repossess them. It's creepy and I don't want it. Also, apparently it's just a simple killswitch that probably costs a few dollars to manufacture and gets sold to the dealership for almost nothing. Then they charge the buyer 995!

He's insisting that it's already installed and required for the purchase. This is the "official" regional Kia dealership, not some random lot swindling people with bad credit. I have perfect credit and am not about to agree to that because I'm out of options or something. They know I'm good for it and just want the 995.

it's really annoying me because I really just want to pay for the stupid car and go. I can't believe they still do this stuff. I thought this was all set so stop researching other deals and all that. Probably stupid on my part, but I've never bought a car before.

I also have a Costco membership that's supposed to save a few bucks, he said he applied that discount (which I think is true) but I've asked for a copy of the price sheet that Costco instructs you to request, and he's ignored that request a couple times.

My instinct is telling me to walk away, but I want this one. It's nothing special, just a '21 Kia Soul. Normally I'd just wait for something else to come along but I need a car by next week.

If I call him and convince him to take out the StarGuard thing, does this sound like an ok deal? '21 Kia Soul GT-Line, total price 21000 after rebates, 2.5% for 60mos (though I could pay this off early and plan to do so).

Sorry this is kind of a rant, just happened and needed to vent. I reeeally don't want to shop for cars any more but I'm not paying a grand for some cheap device invented to stalk poor people! Is there an easier option?

----

I also sold my Corolla to CarMax yesterday. In January 2020, they offered $7,100 for it. Then yesterday they cut me a check for $10,300. In that ~1.5 year span I added deep scratches to the doors and rear panels on BOTH sides, got more dents and dings everywhere, added a 1" long thin but obvious tear to the rear upholstery, and put 4k more miles on it. Yet I got $3,200 more dollars for it. Are they doing an Uber thing where they lose money on purpose to corner the market? That is an insane increase, even if used cars are in demand.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I would not buy a car with an anti-theft device spliced into the wiring loom by some grease monkey, even if they zero out the $1,000 (!) installation fee.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I was about to put money down for a new car but after we "agreed" on a price the dealership guy snuck in some bullshit called StarGuard for $995. He said it was a theft deterrent device but one second of Googling shows that it's just a way for dealerships to track down past-due cars to repossess them. It's creepy and I don't want it. Also, apparently it's just a simple killswitch that probably costs a few dollars to manufacture and gets sold to the dealership for almost nothing. Then they charge the buyer 995!

<snip>
It's 100% bs, including the missing price sheet and the line about it already being installed. Tell him he can call you when he's ready to deal at the price that was agreed on and not a penny more, and start calling other Kia dealerships. As you say, this isn't some kind of unicorn car you're looking to buy. Also it's the end of the month, and people will be motivated to make some Memorial Day deals happen. My guess is you'll get a call back within a day or two

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Uthor posted:

I would not buy a car with an anti-theft device spliced into the wiring loom by some grease monkey, even if they zero out the $1,000 (!) installation fee.

This. If it is actually already installed I wouldn't want the car even if they waive the fee.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Uthor posted:

Tyro posted:

This. If it is actually already installed I wouldn't want the car even if they waive the fee.

There's a few car forums where people have said the same thing, one kid said he was installing them at a dealership even though he wasn't a mechanic. Just jamming wires into the steering column of a brand new car lol, very cool.

I might still try talking about it w/ the salesperson, if it actually has *not* been installed yet and I can get that in writing and verified I might still go for it.

got off on a technicality posted:

It's 100% bs, including the missing price sheet and the line about it already being installed. Tell him he can call you when he's ready to deal at the price that was agreed on and not a penny more, and start calling other Kia dealerships. As you say, this isn't some kind of unicorn car you're looking to buy. Also it's the end of the month, and people will be motivated to make some Memorial Day deals happen. My guess is you'll get a call back within a day or two

So is this normal car salesman shadiness, or is this unusually bad? Like I said this is the actual Kia dealership, I thought those were generally more above-board than used car lots.

I wouldn't be against getting a newer used car somewhere or a different kind of car. The Soul just seemed like a good price and the tall hatchback would've been helpful, plus that GT-line had all the nice extras we like.

Anyone happen to have a recommendation near Berkeley? Too many fake reviews online for these joints, can't tell who's legit.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Kia and Hyundai dealers are generally shadier and pushier than average. Largely from historical lower-cost/lower credit market/buyer positions, despite the product moving upmarket.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The Kia dealership my brother works at doesn't do this, but also :canada:.

n'thing don't buy this car, if they already bodged in this device then they've absolutely wrecked the brand-new wiring harness.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Yeah now I'm over it, now I'm not getting it either way. Currently looking at the Mazda CX-30. It's slightly more expensive but under still 25 and seems much nicer.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

I have a 2008 Saab Turbo X that I'm about to put up for sale, since the wife and I are both working from home (and will carpool even when we do go back to the office, as our hours are similar and we work near each other). So I'm not looking to buy for a bit (certainly not until the used car market returns to some semblance of normalcy).

But- when I do, I'd like to get another fun car.

Budget- around $10-12k
Location- Mobile, AL
Type of car- agnostic. 2 or 4 doors, convertible or hardtop. Preferably something from this millenium (I'd rather drive cars than work on them). Cargo space/mileage/etc is not a concern. I just want it to be fun and at least somewhat reliable. Unique/weird cars are a plus.

I've done the Miata thing for a decade, and love them, but want something different. Someone put the Fiat 500 Abarth bug in my head with the magic words "insanely fun to drive", and I'd love to find out more about it. But I'd also like other recommendations for things to try. I like weird/unique cars (see first sentence), so Camaro/Mustang/etc probably isn't in the cards.

Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Chrysler Crossfire?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
2002-2005 thunderbird.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cage posted:

2002-2005 thunderbird.

eh, fun to drive around in but not fun to drive

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
This may be a glimpse into my extraordinarily deranged mind but that budget could get you a very nice RX8. The rabid RX8 people say they're actually fairly reliable if you get a nice one and do special things for them (let them warm up, put oil in the gas, use better plugs, redline once every time you drive it, etc.) but I don't know how true that is. At any rate they are pretty quick, super fun to drive, quite unique and hilariously cheap to insure because in the eyes of an insurance company it's a 4-door 1.3L instead of a RWD sports car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

This may be a glimpse into my extraordinarily deranged mind but that budget could get you a very nice RX8. The rabid RX8 people say they're actually fairly reliable if you get a nice one and do special things for them (let them warm up, put oil in the gas, use better plugs, redline once every time you drive it, etc.) but I don't know how true that is. At any rate they are pretty quick, super fun to drive, quite unique and hilariously cheap to insure because in the eyes of an insurance company it's a 4-door 1.3L instead of a RWD sports car.

that's not how insurance works, you think those boys are idiots or something?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Number_6 posted:

I owned a Solstice GXP for a hot minute in my 20s. The top, trunk, and non-synchro reverse will drive you absolutely insane. Don't do it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's not how insurance works, you think those boys are idiots or something?

The real answer is that insurance companies know the RX-8 is a) worthless and b) unlikely to run well enough for long enough to cause damage to someone else.

I still low key want one as a track beater but holy gently caress if you have to be recommended an RX-8 youl shouldn't ever consider it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Went out to test some compact SUVs today.

Mazda CX-5 Touring: Handled really well, suspension felt nicely tuned, nice and zippy. Interior was pretty fancy but didn't feel that big. Nice stereo...
Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring: Felt like a step down from the CX-5 in terms of handling and finish. But it was bigger! Also my wife preferred the bells and whistles here.
Toyota RAV-4 Hybrid: They didn't even have one to show us! All they had was the primes. We couldn't even test drive a certified preowned model. Just peaked in the window of one that was in for service.

They were all hitting the chip shortage note pretty hard. I'd roll my eyes, but there was literally one CR-V Hybrid on the lot and zero RAV-4s. On the plus side, this cut down on the salesman bullshit.

I had been leaning toward the RAV-4 previously, but might take a pass at the Honda. Going to see what kind of deal I can get through Costco Auto.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chad Sexington posted:

Went out to test some compact SUVs today.

Mazda CX-5 Touring: Handled really well, suspension felt nicely tuned, nice and zippy. Interior was pretty fancy but didn't feel that big. Nice stereo...
Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring: Felt like a step down from the CX-5 in terms of handling and finish. But it was bigger! Also my wife preferred the bells and whistles here.
Toyota RAV-4 Hybrid: They didn't even have one to show us! All they had was the primes. We couldn't even test drive a certified preowned model. Just peaked in the window of one that was in for service.

They were all hitting the chip shortage note pretty hard. I'd roll my eyes, but there was literally one CR-V Hybrid on the lot and zero RAV-4s. On the plus side, this cut down on the salesman bullshit.

I had been leaning toward the RAV-4 previously, but might take a pass at the Honda. Going to see what kind of deal I can get through Costco Auto.

We came to the same conclusions. I actually liked how the crv drove and the rav wasnt even on our radar, but I figured we should try the rav anyways and my wife loved it so thats what we went with. Two years later and she still loves it so thats good-too slow for me though.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Man I just bought a Mazda CX-30 online and forgot to request the Costco price sheet... I hope I didn't lose out on too much. Oh well, it would've only been a few hundred off max, and it feels good to just have it done with. They're delivering it to my house the day I'm moving in. After many long years of driving beaters, then nice-ish but boring used economy cars, I finally got my first brand new car!

The sales manager was telling me all about the chip shortage and how it's going to be a tough few months at least for new car sales. He claimed a lot of incentives and promo rates are disappearing because there's no inventory to churn through. I'm happy with my $500 off and 0.9% financing. Is there any truth to him saying that I had "just made it" with my deal before some shift in how new cars will be priced? It could be salesman bs to make me feel savvy and cool, but this conversation happened after I already bought the thing so I'm not sure what the point of glad-handing would be at that point.

Very glad I didn't go with the similarly-priced Kia Soul with 2.25% interest rate and a $995 mandatory aftermarket surveillance system lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Number_6 posted:

Woof, that top. GM needed about 50 years more of R&D before they should have tried a roadster. Definitely fits the outside-the-box criteria, but no thanks

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Chrysler Crossfire?

Are they any fun? I know they look weird enough

Cage posted:

2002-2005 thunderbird.

I'm trying to keep my midlife crisis at least somewhat camoflaged, so no. But definitely on the right track

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think it will have an effect, and likely both in an increase in prices and a decrease in supply, but I wouldnt indulge what a salesperson has to say about it.

Edit: Nor do I expect anyone to trust my opinion for anything more than just that.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 29, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

I'm trying to keep my midlife crisis at least somewhat camoflaged, so no. But definitely on the right track

Are you Doug DeMuro's twin brother or something?

Anyways, you're basically the target market for a Plymouth Prowler.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Man I just bought a Mazda CX-30 online and forgot to request the Costco price sheet... I hope I didn't lose out on too much. Oh well, it would've only been a few hundred off max, and it feels good to just have it done with. They're delivering it to my house the day I'm moving in. After many long years of driving beaters, then nice-ish but boring used economy cars, I finally got my first brand new car!

The sales manager was telling me all about the chip shortage and how it's going to be a tough few months at least for new car sales. He claimed a lot of incentives and promo rates are disappearing because there's no inventory to churn through. I'm happy with my $500 off and 0.9% financing. Is there any truth to him saying that I had "just made it" with my deal before some shift in how new cars will be priced? It could be salesman bs to make me feel savvy and cool, but this conversation happened after I already bought the thing so I'm not sure what the point of glad-handing would be at that point.

Very glad I didn't go with the similarly-priced Kia Soul with 2.25% interest rate and a $995 mandatory aftermarket surveillance system lol
It is salesman BS +- what trim you were looking at but Mazda is in a good place coming up in the market from good import to luxury import and so their dealerships tend to not play negotiation games lately even outside weird inventory stuff from what I've researched.

Inventory on your local lots for any make probably isn't going anywhere but down this summer which may trigger mid year MSRP changes. Facebook friend bs. etc but a highschool acquaintance is mechanic at a Ford dealership and he was posting they have 0 deliveries scheduled in June.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

We were hearing similar stuff today. Honda guy was saying hybrids might go above MSRP this summer because they're just not getting any in. As always, could be total horseshit, but I didn't get the sense he was blowing smoke up my rear end because there was only hybrid car on the lot and he seemed confident he was moving it this weekend.

I find myself moving away from the hybrids given that I probably don't drive enough to justify them and contemplating a regular Honda CR-V EX-L. 0.9% APR would be sweet too.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

GD_American posted:

Youd want to look at the super charged SRT6 version. The base version handles decent enough but isnt fast with only 220 HP. I believe the supercharged one is 330. It shares the same engine and drivetrain as the Mercedes SLK 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Man I just bought a Mazda CX-30 online

The CX-30 looks like a sweet rear end ride. Congrats!