Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah it is reasonable, and it's not really that strange for some poor teenager to take a big enough emotional hit from the guy turning out to have a genocidal hyper-galatic mega imperialist dad who decided to use his son's struggling body as a wrecking ball to kill thousands of people in the process of beating him within an inch of his life on live TV that she would want to get back together with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, I think there's a weird audience assumption that everyone has to like the main character and acquiesce to their wants, otherwise they're a bad person.

Personally, I think Eve would be a better match for Mark than Amber if only because they're both in that line of work and she'd be able to deal with it better, but I don't really understand the vitriolic hate that Amber gets. Relationships are kind of a social thing, so it kind of sucks when you want to introduce your S/O to your parents, but he never has time because he's too busy getting ripped in half by a tiger man, so now you look like a fool in front of the people that matter to you and, even on the off chance you actually knew his secret, you couldn't explain why.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is anyone else kind of confused by the scene of the Viltrumites fighting each other? It makes it seem like they all do maximum damage but only have like 1 HP. They are all shown to be super strong but everyone of them just gets torn in half by the next one like they are made of tissue paper.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

but I don't really understand the vitriolic hate that Amber gets.

It’s mostly racism and misogyny spewing forth :ssh:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bust Rodd posted:

Is anyone else kind of confused by the scene of the Viltrumites fighting each other? It makes it seem like they all do maximum damage but only have like 1 HP. They are all shown to be super strong but everyone of them just gets torn in half by the next one like they are made of tissue paper.

Those were all weak rear end viltrumites and deserved to be purged.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Affi posted:

Those were all weak rear end viltrumites and deserved to be purged.

See this doesn't make any sense, what do they do with their children?

I just figured out the answer to this....

Is there a spoiler thread yet?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

M_Gargantua posted:

It’s mostly racism and misogyny spewing forth :ssh:

There's a big healthy dose of solipsism and "I don't see other humans as people" in there too, mind!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Amber is fine but I find myself extremely bored by secret identity juggling subplots, it's just overdone by this point and everyone knows what the outcome is (she learns the truth!)

Makes me think of that point in Netflix's Daredevil where everyone except the girl knew his identity, so it was just every character gaslighting her in every episode.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Giving you a standard plot beat and the twisting the reactions to it are kind of the Invincible modus operandi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

smoobles posted:

Amber is fine but I find myself extremely bored by secret identity juggling subplots, it's just overdone by this point and everyone knows what the outcome is (she learns the truth!)

Makes me think of that point in Netflix's Daredevil where everyone except the girl knew his identity, so it was just every character gaslighting her in every episode.

But that's the whole point. Its the cliche scene where she finds out; except here it doesn't matter and she dumps him anyways. That's the whole point.

The whole show is taking superhero cliches and seeing them a different way. Like superman killing the justice league.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's the whole point. Its the cliche scene where she finds out; except here it doesn't matter and she dumps him anyways. That's the whole point.

The whole show is taking superhero cliches and seeing them a different way. Like superman killing the justice league.

Casnorf posted:

Giving you a standard plot beat and the twisting the reactions to it are kind of the Invincible modus operandi.

Some people are just tired of standard plot beats even if they shake things up. Like if I were to tell you about my crazy new idea for a Batman origin story and it starts on the night his parents were killed would you really want to hear it at this point?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
But then why are you watching invincible?

Why is that only an issue for Amber and not literally the entire story?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I'm interested to find out if you can give it literally anything, yeah. That's a bold claim.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

BurritoJustice posted:

The biggest Invincible shitposting group on Facebook (100K~) had to fully ban Amber posts because every single one took less than ten minutes to turn racist and/or sexist.

... don't you post under your real name and poo poo on facebook?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Facebook is rife with white supremacists who have nothing better to do than shitpost about poc in media/politics/their neighborhoods/etc.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BrotherJayne posted:

... don't you post under your real name and poo poo on facebook?

most of em are fully fine with showing their whole asses, they don't give a poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

People post with their real names on Twitter and Instagram so why would they be ashamed on Facebook? Here in Canada our national media distributor, CBC, used to allow comments on all of their news articles online. About 5 or 6 years ago they restricted comments on articles about indigenous peoples in that you could only post a comment if you registered an account and used your real name. Needless to say, this only stymied the flow of super racist comments that always appeared in these articles and a couple years ago they made the correct choice to just not have comment sections for anything indigenous related.

That doesn't stop those same people from posting their "opinions" when CBC makes a tweet or something to advertise those articles

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wonder if they had kept Amber white like in the comics if there’d be hordes of ppl rallying to her defence. Though there have been plenty of shows where audiences hated the white female character, ex the wife in Breaking Bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ccs posted:

I wonder if they had kept Amber white like in the comics if there’d be hordes of ppl rallying to her defence. Though there have been plenty of shows where audiences hated the white female character, ex the wife in Breaking Bad.

Everyone in Breaking Bad was white apart from Giancarlo Esposito, who was a clear adversary to the main character. The people who hated Skylar hated her because she was a woman and didn't need extra reasons.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Just finished the whole first season and really enjoyed it. Voice acting was great, characters are all unique and interesting and they grow as the series progresses. Rex splode is an irredeemable piece of poo poo at the beginning, he fucks things up and learns from it, and then by the end I liked him If I had to make a criticism it's that it leans very heavily on the action, but each hero/villain's power seems kind of hard to read, so the outcome of every fight feels like it's up to what's most convenient to move the plot along, which then cheapens the action quite a bit.

Also, the pacing makes the action get a bit tired if you binge it, better to give it a bit of a break between episodes.

Looking forward to season 2!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I dunno, it seemed like most powers were straightforward enough to understand aside from maybe Eve's, and she didn't use the crazier aspects of her powers until she started living on her own and experimenting with them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

ut each hero/villain's power seems kind of hard to read

Tether Tyrant!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The middle of Adam Eve’s story is basically that SMBC comic about how Superman could do the most good for the world by just running in a hamster wheel forever

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
*Atom

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

new character adam eve whose power is access to the magic button

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Wheeee posted:

new character adam eve whose power is access to the magic button

I mean, this is what I thought her deal was, since the scrunched up logo looks like a crossed out female symbol rather than atoms orbiting it

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It's poo poo and the fact that the people behind the show didn't notice or consider the ramifications of the distinct anti-female symbolism on a female hero is so loving dumb.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They did.

https://twitter.com/InvincibleCast/status/1386845071992102912

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

whoopsie!

They could, I dunno, edit it if they wanted. It's a digitally distributed show and stealth edits are a thing. I assume the money isn't decided to be worth it, which is too bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I did not interpret her superhero symbol to mean “NO WOMEN”

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I never even noticed she had a symbol

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought it was just a poorly drawn symbol, but it did make me confused the first time I noticed it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah for the first few episodes I thought her name was Adam Eve and that there was some gender stuff that would be dived into later on.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

stev posted:

Yeah for the first few episodes I thought her name was Adam Eve and that there was some gender stuff that would be dived into later on.
Same, took me a bit to figure out what it was. A caption might have given it away?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm glad Corey Walker got to be character designer on this show though, cause while his designs for the comics always seemed too simplistic, its perfect for animation. Whereas Ryan Ottley's more dynamic designs are way too unique to be adapted across in animation. They found a nice balance between the two in the style they went with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I did my recent re-read I was really shocked by how Corey Walker's style changed from the beginning of the series to the end. I much preferred Ottley compared to early Walker, but I think they're fairly comparable by the time he has his run on the final stretch.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The show got me to read the comics and while I'm not big on comics they were a decent read. I liked that they basically were, as others have mentioned, sort of a big melting pot of all the typical comic stories and tropes all mixed up, good times.

It's also either disturbingly reactionary ideologically or a Verhoeven-like satire, can't decide which.

Most important thing I'm waiting for to show up now is thicc Eve

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

zoux posted:

When I did my recent re-read I was really shocked by how Corey Walker's style changed from the beginning of the series to the end. I much preferred Ottley compared to early Walker, but I think they're fairly comparable by the time he has his run on the final stretch.

Ottley's faces were great, while even late-period Walker always felt like he was working inside very strict anatomy constrictions. Ottley has such great elasticity to his faces and always get the teeth involved in expressions in fun ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I don't know if this is something that's ever brought up in the comics, but what are the extent of Eve's powers? I'm trying to avoid falling into the same questions that would come up with Dr. Manhattan and his powers (my first version of this question was "why doesn't she turn Omni-Man's brain into chocolate pudding"), but could she have done anything to stop Omni-Man?