Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just a thought as I drunkenly stumble through battlefield V:

Obviously poo poo talkers get obnoxious as you go, but losers who throw their team under the bus after a loss are worse. Like....the whole team lost. You don't get to salvage your rep by pretending to not be a loser. It's like trying to criticize a person's car when you're a co-owner of said car.

Not really a huge deal either way, but I just see it after every game by at least one person on the losing team and it got me thinking about that kind of mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah caring about the outcome of a battlefield match is a fool's errand

but if you were playing sniper they're right you're why your team lost

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If anything in the games where there's a million people I feel even less bad about losing because I'm like "well, what was I supposed to do, kill the whole enemy team myself?" so getting mad at that is double funny. Dota is so maddening because it totally is within the realm of a single person to 1v5 a game but sometimes your team will throw JUST hard enough to make it so you can't do it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I feel sorry for people who can only have fun if they win. There's a whole lot of people who play Magic and are miserable like 75% of the time they're playing, which to me seems like a loser's script, a bad deal. But what do I know

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

Which atelier? I forget if I have asked before.

Not that popularity directly correlates to quality, but I think Sophie was the best selling one and Ryza beat it, though that is possibly due to thigh memes or something. I liked ryza, at any rate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't mind losing. But I get stressed when there's something on the line. Like in game currency in limited games on Arena.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm very competitive, very stubborn, and not very good at most competitive games. It's... not a great mix. I can deal with losing sometimes and still have fun but if there's a concrete goal I'm working towards (like, for example, hitting a certain PvP rank in Destiny 2 for a cool gun) and I get into a losing streak I get very frustrated and it's not good.

I deal with this by just not really playing competitive games very often, probably best for everyone involved. I'm self-aware enough and way too nice to abuse anyone over voice chat or anything but I do get anger headaches and end up rage quitting and never booting the game up again :v:

Like if I'm kicking back with friends and playing Smash Bros or Mario Kart it's no big deal, I think it's really just if there's a goal I'm working towards and I start losing a bunch is when I just get super frustrated and mad at myself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

I don't mind losing. But I get stressed when there's something on the line. Like in game currency in limited games on Arena.

Though in all honesty I get stressed even when there's very little on the line.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Simone Magus posted:

I feel sorry for people who can only have fun if they win. There's a whole lot of people who play Magic and are miserable like 75% of the time they're playing, which to me seems like a loser's script, a bad deal. But what do I know

I feel like this is the fate of many long-term magic players. At some point the novelty wears off and some of the inherent issues with the game start to rankle you more and more, but by that point you're a thousand bucks into sunk cost fallacy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hadn’t thought about it before but I guess I do hate losing, and that’s why I don’t enjoy PvP at all, because I’m bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having fun means doing everything you can to win. Indeed, it is the mindset of the scrub that everyone who beats him isn't "enjoying the game the right way."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And yeah competitive games just stress me the gently caress out, instead I’d rather clown on the AI and feel better about myself

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

This sounds like this is either going to be extremely our poo poo, or might trigger the worst of our FOMO anxiety. I'm hoping it's the former!

The good news is that there’s a few different story paths so you can always finish one low-key then go all out for round two.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i love iwnning and i love pvp

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If I could savescum PvP i might enjoy it more

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Imagine savescumming irl... Miss the bus? Load up the morning’s auto save, eat just the toast instead of the toast+cereal

This is webcomic-worthy material

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Magic and other card games are also uniquely annoying in that, yeah there's a lot you can do to influence a game, but sometimes there's nothing you can do and you just get the wrong cards and your opponent gets the right cards.

I don't mind losing in Dota. I get outskilled all the time and you just go "drat I got owned" and go again. Sometimes your offlane goes 0/20 and you just say "eh nothing I can do about this one." But sometimes you're having a great game but your team forcibly rips the game from your hands and gives it to the other team and that's the only time I really get mad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

too bad your fingers are too slow for mobas so you always lose

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
just a little discord joke for my good buddy stux

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Magic and other card games are also uniquely annoying in that, yeah there's a lot you can do to influence a game, but sometimes there's nothing you can do and you just get the wrong cards and your opponent gets the right cards.

I don't mind losing in Dota. I get outskilled all the time and you just go "drat I got owned" and go again. Sometimes your offlane goes 0/20 and you just say "eh nothing I can do about this one." But sometimes you're having a great game but your team forcibly rips the game from your hands and gives it to the other team and that's the only time I really get mad.

DOTA is way too much of a time commitment and dependence on randos for a non-garbage time, the odds are not in my favor

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's taken me 30 years of gaming to realise I don't like PVP and much prefer coop

I am not a smart man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If all anybody ever did in any competitive game was just sit there and let me beat on them from here until Pro League, I would still enjoy that and consider myself extremely gosu for doing it. Unfortunately my opponents are rarely that cooperative and I must regrettably play better to get to the fun part (WINNING).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Apex and magic are the only competitive games i play. I'm pretty good in apex, especially in the sense that I never get stressed and if someone kills me I just laugh usually. I've played with people who rage when they lose and it's just bad feels. I sincerely don't know why anyone would voluntarily put themselves in a position where they're getting so upset they're screaming at their teammates.

I'm pretty good at magic too but that's just from my mum teaching it to me so I've internalized the extremely weird rules that are prolly baffling to people used to modern game design

Like just the concept of The Stack alone makes people's heads explode. "Alright I'm enchanting my dude" "okay in response to that I'll kill the dude before the enchantment happens" "okay but before that I'm casting a spell that says you can't cast any spells this turn, so now you didn't kill my guy"

Lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

If all anybody ever did in any competitive game was just sit there and let me beat on them from here until Pro League, I would still enjoy that and consider myself extremely gosu for doing it. Unfortunately my opponents are rarely that cooperative and I must regrettably play better to get to the fun part (WINNING).

This feels like a lot of effort to put into a dis but, again, what do i know

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Stux posted:

the slap city incident

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think there's nothing wrong with being frustrated after a loss. That's okay, you want to win!

It's more....you have lost, you are frustrated, and choosing to hit the chat button and volunteer that you hate your team is just going that extra mile.

It's another thing if it's something you hear vocally. It's still really bad form, but sometimes it's hard not to vocalize that frustration. Hope you muted yourself ahead of time!:wink:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know my housemate is playing Apex when I hear from the other side of the house "gently caress you you loving piece of poo poo bitch" and a bunch of slamming

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think there's nothing wrong with being frustrated after a loss. That's okay, you want to win!

It's more....you have lost, you are frustrated, and choosing to hit the chat button and volunteer that you hate your team is just going that extra mile.

It's another thing if it's something you hear vocally. It's still really bad form, but sometimes it's hard not to vocalize that frustration. Hope you muted yourself ahead of time!:wink:

This is why I only play 1v1 competitively, you need to embrace knowing that victory or defeat is purely your own (or blame lag/imbalance obviously).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This is why I only play 1v1 competitively, you need to embrace knowing that victory or defeat is purely your own (or blame lag/imbalance obviously).

I find competitive 1v1 RTS to be extremely stressful to the point of not being fun.

Like 1 on 1 Magic or fighting games (online) is fine but RTS gameplay is specifically overwhelming and anxiety-inducing in competitive mode

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I find competitive 1v1 RTS to be extremely stressful to the point of not being fun.

Like 1 on 1 Magic or fighting games (online) is fine but RTS gameplay is specifically overwhelming and anxiety-inducing in competitive mode

:twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjRgNtF4hwA&t=2070s

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

the slap city incident
when i play fightingi games the demon part of me starts to emerge

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

looking forward to getting gg strive and rage quitting within 7 days

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I can’t care if I win or lose because I suck so I’d be mad a lot

Simone Magus posted:

Replicant is easy GOTY, maybe my literal favorite game now

That good huh? What elevates it to favorite game-tier?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, everything involving Terra and Garland and even the final boss

A fair number of FF games feel like they're trying to emulate the FF1 twist which results in the final few hours just being insane and unintelligible. FF9 and Terra, FF8's whole timestream stuff, FFX's logistics of Zanarkand and The Dream

I just wanted to know because I couldn't tell if the 9 was a typo or not and you meant 8 or 4 with their more prevalent weird moon poo poo lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dearest SNU,

please name the june chat thread "Sonic June: Save the Chat Thread from Disaster," or "Sonic June, Sonic June, Sonic June: Save the Chat Thread from Disaster," if the latter will fit. thank you

love,
looper

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
While farming memories in FFXIV today I watched Tenet. It was fun! Within 30 minutes, a character says "don't think about this too hard" which was fine by me. John David Washington and Robert Pattinson did cool poo poo.

"I ordered my hot sauce an hour ago!" is a fantastic line.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Saga Scarlet Grace is reminding me why I rarely play SaGa games.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanted to know because I couldn't tell if the 9 was a typo or not and you meant 8 or 4 with their more prevalent weird moon poo poo lol

I'll be honest, FF4 is the only game in the series I haven't personally played so I have no idea what that game's moon poo poo is about

FF8's weird moon poo poo is a little more in place because everything from the start of disk 2 is weird so it doesn't even seem out-of-place. Like, oh we're going to space? After everything at the orphanage, sure why not, sounds fine

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

wuggles posted:

That good huh? What elevates it to favorite game-tier?

Just how... I dunno, beautiful it is, the music and presentation and such. Plus I mean the story owns hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

Saga Scarlet Grace is reminding me why I rarely play SaGa games.

What’s wrong? It can be a lot of fun once your options open up but early on it can also feel frustrating to barely survive every fight without tools like the stat debuff skills to control fights.