Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a thousand business cards in the most obnoxious design possible, for me, an employee that works off site, doesn't attend trade shows, and doesn't meet vendors or clients

this is what happens when your VP of marketing last went to college in 1994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Suspicious Lump posted:

Our host org rolled out a new payroll system to log hours. It uses Silverlight and they recommend using IE6 which is the default browser for managed Win10. If you try to change the default to Edge, Chrome or Firefox, it will reset to IE6.

:wtf:

People were expecting Silverlight to go belly up in 2011, and Microsoft officially announced deprecation it in 2015. IE6(!!!) is the only browser that can still run it! Why in the world would you buy anything running Silverlight?!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How in the gently caress is there a business still selling something powered by Silverlight

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
honestly didnt know you could even run ie6 on modern os without using a vm or something lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

a thousand business cards in the most obnoxious design possible, for me, an employee that works off site, doesn't attend trade shows, and doesn't meet vendors or clients

How big are they? Maybe you got some free coasters?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

How big are they? Maybe you got some free coasters?

smaller than a post it. so obnoxious

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Those motel stories are excellent thanks for typing them up. Were either of these places adjacent to a major theme park?

No. No theme park was even close to being nearby.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

boar guy posted:

Your own personal Cards Against Humanity

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Those motel stories are excellent thanks for typing them up. Were either of these places adjacent to a major theme park?

Made me think about what sketchy motels must have been like before online reviews were available. I know those reviews have major issues but with Google maps you can make an educated guess about what type of motel a place is. I guess in the 1980s accidentally staying at super iffy places was more common?

Travel agents, back in the day. They would know what hotels to avoid. The industry nosedived when online booking and reviews came around.

I remember as a kid on vacation we pulled up to a hotel with guys just sitting on the front steps drinking/snoozing. We didn't even get out of the car, my dad called the travel agent and after some arguing he got a reservation at another hotel.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Cut him the gently caress off," I said, "I have to drive him home and I don't want him to throw up in my car."

She looks at me and then away because she's busy. But she absolutely heard me and does not care. Kurt is visibly stumbling by the time I get back. He asks for another drink and gives it to him while I'm making furious cutting off motions behind him. She does not give a single gently caress. I realize that she's just milking him for tips and she does not care what state he's in so long as she gets those loving tips.

I don't know how long ago that was but where I am we have a thing called "Smart Serve" and you're legally responsible if you keep giving someone alcohol when they're drunk. I'm Smart Serve certified because it's easy and free and puts the fear of lawsuits and legal repercussions into you and I served alcohol when I helped a friend out with her restaurant.

I have plenty of unkind words for the monster of your story.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

Now you can balance wobbly tables wherever you may roam.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*twitch*

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Smik posted:

I don't know how long ago that was but where I am we have a thing called "Smart Serve" and you're legally responsible if you keep giving someone alcohol when they're drunk. I'm Smart Serve certified because it's easy and free and puts the fear of lawsuits and legal repercussions into you and I served alcohol when I helped a friend out with her restaurant.

I have plenty of unkind words for the monster of your story.

It's not a defense for the lovely server but it is true that being dead-rear end sober while an rear end in a top hat drunk yells at you because the job you're literally being paid to do is standing between them and more booze is one of the most common terrible experiences anyone in the service industry faces on a daily basis in some jobs. But that's no excuse for not following the law or being unethical. I used to run the graveyard shift at a 7-Eleven, and being yelled at, threatened, berated, and abused on a near-nightly basis just for doing my job/ following the law by properly carding people or locking up the beer at the legally mandated time every night are some of the least favorite memories of my working life. I can definitely remember looking at some mouthbreather belching beer fumes in my face and thinking that I wished I could let them drink more and wrap themselves around a tree, but the thought that they might take someone innocent out with them always held me back.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 29, 2021

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Our host org rolled out a new payroll system to log hours. It uses Silverlight and...

[Record scratch] please tell me this was a decade ago and not recently....

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

boar guy posted:

Are those ... square business cards?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Imagined posted:

It's not a defense for the lovely server but it is true that being dead-rear end sober while an rear end in a top hat drunk yells at you because the job you're literally being paid to do is standing between them and more booze is one of the most common terrible experiences anyone in the service industry faces on a daily basis in some jobs. But that's no excuse for not following the law or being unethical. I used to run the graveyard shift at a 7-Eleven, and being yelled at, threatened, berated, and abused on a near-nightly basis just for doing my job/ following the law by properly carding people or locking up the beer at the legally mandated time every night are some of the least favorite memories of my working life. I can definitely remember looking at some mouthbreather belching beer fumes in my face and thinking that I wished I could let them drink more and wrap themselves around a tree, but the thought that they might take someone innocent out with them always held me back.

Currently in Canada alcohol is still highly restricted where it can be sold compared to the US, although it still depends on where in the country you are. Grocery stores are now allowed to sell alcohol but as far as I know convenience stores are not.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

boar guy posted:

Looks like paint sample chips from a home improvement store.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
My job is an allied health position within a local government agency that is run by the criminally incompetent and notoriously corrupt.

Within said agency, we are the only department that has been able to generate its own revenue during the pandemic, because telehealth. But the stunningly inept managers and middle managers and administrators couldn’t wait to get us back in to babysit in order to justify their own positions.

At first, it was rotations. Basically, we were forced to come back in 2-3 days a week to make phone and zoom calls because other non-revenue generating departments complained loudly.

During the past 16 months, we were also berated at every turn about how we could be let go at any time and that nobody should expect to WFH forever. Standards were also extremely, unevenly enforced, with those closest to the department head basically having a 16 month vacation. Also, it’s an open secret that my department head basically sits in their office all day with the door shut, running a private practice on agency time. My supervisor does the same thing but with his slumlording hustle.

One time, during the height of our COVID cases, they tried to force me to cover an assignment outside of my job description in conditions that absolutely would have been a major infection risk, because a major player was demanding it get done and my supervisor didn’t want to risk his own health. They hosed right off after I invoked OSHA - the case was referred to HR but nobody ever said a peep.

Then they decreed that in June, we will all be required to come back 5 days a week. I put in my 2 weeks. At my new company I am now going to be working ~1/2 - 3/4 the hours for about the same money, split between home zoom and office. And I can pick my hours, because I like late afternoon/evenings, and getting in 8:30 and staying until 5 even if I have like 3 clients is bullshit.

As for them: Thanks to their bleeding talent over the past year and a half, when I leave, they will have literally nobody free who is competent enough to perform my specialized duties. My direct supervisor will likely be the one to do it, and he is the most incompetent man alive. I legitimately fear for my clients.

Oh and they’re on a mandatory hiring freeze. That agency won’t be there in five years.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Are those ... square business cards?

yep

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The best business card I ever had was a metal bottle cap opener that was the same size as a credit card so you could keep it in your wallet. I doubt anyone I gave one to ever lost it because it was so handy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Who the gently caress needs business cards in tyool 2021? You want deets? What's your email address I'll send you a one word email and hey presto all my detail are in my sig and you don't have to mistype my email address if you want to get back to me.

This exact screed must have been said by a hundred thousand people over the past 10 years and yet people still think cards are important.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That’s Bone. And the lettering is something called ‘Silian Rail’.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Volmarias posted:

People were expecting Silverlight to go belly up in 2011, and Microsoft officially announced deprecation it in 2015. IE6(!!!) is the only browser that can still run it! Why in the world would you buy anything running Silverlight?!

thathonkey posted:

honestly didnt know you could even run ie6 on modern os without using a vm or something lol

It's not quite as bad as all that - you can run Silverlight in IE11 on Win10 just fine.
But like Flash recently, it is going to be EOL in another 6 months.
Although the Silverlight EOL is not going to be quite as sudden. It will just go out of support and you won't be able to download it* onto a new machine.

*From official MS sources, at least.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

~Coxy posted:

It's not quite as bad as all that - you can run Silverlight in IE11 on Win10 just fine.
But like Flash recently, it is going to be EOL in another 6 months.
Although the Silverlight EOL is not going to be quite as sudden. It will just go out of support and you won't be able to download it* onto a new machine.

*From official MS sources, at least.

This is worse.

"No this is fully obsolete and you must never use it" is the best case scenario for silverlight

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Who the gently caress needs business cards in tyool 2021? You want deets? What's your email address I'll send you a one word email and hey presto all my detail are in my sig and you don't have to mistype my email address if you want to get back to me.

This exact screed must have been said by a hundred thousand people over the past 10 years and yet people still think cards are important.

1) Business cards are crazy important still in Japan. Stupidly so, and I hate it
2) So many motherfucking people have nothing in their signatures. No company name, no phone number, nothing. Listen up fuckhole, put it in there

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

2) So many motherfucking people have nothing in their signatures. No company name, no phone number, nothing. Listen up fuckhole, put it in there
I have name, position and and company in my signature. My email address is in the header and I'm not giving my phone number to every chucklehead that I email.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ice Phisherman posted:

Okay, so I'll share my story.

goddamn

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I loving hate those fancy unique business cards.

Every time my boss gets one he will spend a day talking about it and wasting my time in trying to find a way we can steal the design or incorporate it into our own business cards.

Our current cards have had the same design as the last 15 years on recycled paper because it was cheap and "eco-friendly". Surely now is a good time to go for a translucent plastic that is an inch longer than typical business cards so it will never fit in your wallet. Also make sure it has a QR code and maybe a usb

No lie one of our suppliers had a business card that had a usb drive in it. Those went pretty fast and they stopped using them.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Outrail posted:

They started becoming obsolete around 2015 for me and the death of conferences will have wiped them or it completely now

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I found business cards to be relevant working as a contractor. Or else when a neighbor would come up to me on a 90 degree day inquiring about my services I could be brief with them and still get their work later. If I did a real big and involved quote I'd email it and also mail a copy with my card stapled to it. Otherwise kept 3.5x8 glossy flyers in the glovebox of every truck for my crew members to hand out.

But we had something real and tangible to offer unlike middle management people at a business expo lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Barudak posted:

1) Business cards are crazy important still in Japan. Stupidly so, and I hate it

If you're dealing with someone who's company contact is a @gmail.com address, a signature isn't going to make you care any more about them.

Fried Watermelon posted:

No lie one of our suppliers had a business card that had a usb drive in it. Those went pretty fast and they stopped using them.

I'm genuinely disappointed that the business card aspect ratio CDs didn't catch on, despite the obvious problems with it. A business card with a USB drive built in actually sounds pretty amazing, albeit expensive as heck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

https://i.imgur.com/m50Y8v1.mp4

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
At my previous job, the country's biggest ISP and backbone provider, the entire CRM and ERP is accessed through a 320x200 green-on-black command line interface. Most of the training of new customer centre people is spent on memorising four-letter commands, and achieving proficiency takes long, hard practice on the phone with real customers, with mistakes being easily made and error codes being unintelligible.

Why yes, we had a reputation for slow, error prone customer service. Must be because people are lazy, let's introduce some more KPIs linked to salary.

The entire thing is coded in COBOL and there are many legends of triple-digit millions being spent on projects to replace it, only to fail miserably for unknown reasons.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mzuri posted:

At my previous job, the country's biggest ISP and backbone provider, the entire CRM and ERP is accessed through a 320x200 green-on-black command line interface. Most of the training of new customer centre people is spent on memorising four-letter commands, and achieving proficiency takes long, hard practice on the phone with real customers, with mistakes being easily made and error codes being unintelligible.

Why yes, we had a reputation for slow, error prone customer service. Must be because people are lazy, let's introduce some more KPIs linked to salary.

The entire thing is coded in COBOL and there are many legends of triple-digit millions being spent on projects to replace it, only to fail miserably for unknown reasons.

I was about to say that I'd heard something similar about the biggest ISP here, so I checked your profile and it says you're in Denmark... Yeah, a bit scary that I could guess that. It can't be the only ISP in the world with an arcane setup, can it?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Volmarias posted:

A business card with a USB drive built in actually sounds pretty amazing, albeit expensive as heck.

An amazing way to get your entire network infected with ransomware so yeah, pretty expensive

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

NFX posted:

I was about to say that I'd heard something similar about the biggest ISP here, so I checked your profile and it says you're in Denmark... Yeah, a bit scary that I could guess that. It can't be the only ISP in the world with an arcane setup, can it?

Bingo. I'm sure there are others out there, but there can't be too many. Right...? :ohdear:

If you could live with the very real threat of being arbitrarily McKinzied every 3 months or so it actually wasn't a bad place to work - nice perks and very good paternity policies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Imagined posted:

An amazing way to get your entire network infected with ransomware so yeah, pretty expensive

Yes, as mentioned, aside from the obvious downsides,

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fried Watermelon posted:

I loving hate those fancy unique business cards.

Every time my boss gets one he will spend a day talking about it and wasting my time in trying to find a way we can steal the design or incorporate it into our own business cards.

Our current cards have had the same design as the last 15 years on recycled paper because it was cheap and "eco-friendly". Surely now is a good time to go for a translucent plastic that is an inch longer than typical business cards so it will never fit in your wallet. Also make sure it has a QR code and maybe a usb

I sort of miss one of my old jobs where we would visit customers and the Business Development guy would lug around a box of company branded crap from site to site. Pens, microfiber cell phone screen cleaners, lanyards, USB drives, lightbulb shaped stress balls, reusable sports water bags, earbuds, bottle openers, picture frames. It was like he had an entire dollar store in there. We had a bunch of the discontinued promotional items in our office and I took everything that wasn't nailed down when I left and displayed them like trophies on my desk in the next job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lazyfire posted:

I sort of miss one of my old jobs where we would visit customers and the Business Development guy would lug around a box of company branded crap from site to site. Pens, microfiber cell phone screen cleaners, lanyards, USB drives, lightbulb shaped stress balls, reusable sports water bags, earbuds, bottle openers, picture frames. It was like he had an entire dollar store in there. We had a bunch of the discontinued promotional items in our office and I took everything that wasn't nailed down when I left and displayed them like trophies on my desk in the next job.

When the company redesigns its logo, all the existing swag is immediately obsolete, meaning that I've got some :krad: old (good) style socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

oh this reminds me- our company requires us to put our email address in our email signature

WHY