Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

has anyone ever filmed a ufo with a real camera that captures any amount of detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

no because if they did it wouldn't be unidentified dummy

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
random pubbie videos are completely unhelpful if you're actually trying to "investigate uaps" (as opposed to just liking to look at things that seem cool and mysterious, which is also a valid approach to life). like there are just so many ways now to either physically or digitally fake a ufo, and that's not even getting in to misinterpretation of banal causes.

this is why the navy accounts/videos are actually good and cool.

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 03:32 on May 30, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's only poor-quality footage because a lot of ufos are artifacts of the function of the camera and so will always be blurry because they're created by the camera itself as nondistinct blobs.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

also lets see you JABRONES get a clear picture much less video of your standard "whats that poo poo in the sky" its tough!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There's only poor-quality footage because a lot of ufos are artifacts of the function of the camera and so will always be blurry because they're created by the camera itself as nondistinct blobs.

it’s not because the cameras in phones are poo poo and terrible at recording anything at a distance...?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean, I like making fun of grainy UFO footage as much as the next guy, but even exceptionally good phone cameras are going to suck poo poo at taking pictures of bright objects in the sky at night. Even really basic and lovely phone astrophotography requires a tripod to get anything that isn't a total mess. Top-tier phones have special modes just for taking pictures of the moon that don't look like a weird blazing sky spotlight.

Lots of phone cameras are great but it's just really hard to take clear pictures of anything in the sky at night.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

or during the day; nobody's making videos of birds in flight because they can't because the phone cameras are poo poo. can't even take a decent picture of a mountain.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Feral Integral posted:

what is a large coherent spin state in condensed matter? is that like aligning the quantum spin of all the atoms (?) in some matter? Does aligning spins effect gravity or something?

most of the time matter obeys fermi quantum statistics, and can't do things like smash the same particles into the same space in the same state because fermi statistics don't allow it (e.g. pauli exclusion) - so this is related to the reason why atoms take up space

your force carriers, like the photon, conversely obey bose statistics and are quite happy to exist in the same space with the same state (e.g. you can aim a light beam at another light beam and most of the time they are not interacting)

anyway, this is all related to quantum spin or intrinsic angular momentum which is such a strange hosed up interesting concept to me because it's one of the first areas where the math (spinors) works really well to describe what's happening in experiment but conceptually relating it to a physical model gets into "??????"

fermi particles can have half-integer spin, meaning something like they have to spin a full 360 twice to reach the same state, unlike say a photon which just does it once (edit: “something like” is also being very hand-wavy, apologies)

so anyway an electron or proton in isolation can't be smashed into the same place as another electron/proton, but once you have an atom or molecule with the same properties as a fundamental particle boson, e.g. integer spin, reality is apparently quite happy to treat it the same way as a particle-scale boson and let you do weird poo poo like have helium superfluids oblivious to friction because helium atoms no longer have that half-integer exclusion requirement:

also i am a complete amateur coming from a ham radio background so anyone who actually deals with this stuff professionally feel free to correct any of the above

Crusader has issued a correction as of 04:00 on May 30, 2021

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bob lazar is just as legit as that weirdo with the hosed up hand who said he got in a plasma shootout with aliens under dulce base

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the math really gets hairy once you start dealing with bofa particles

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Hatebag posted:

Bob lazar is just as legit as that weirdo with the hosed up hand who said he got in a plasma shootout with aliens under dulce base

i kinda believe bob was shown stupid poo poo to flap his jaw about in public. hes the perfect type to run that game on. dulce was seriously just ecstatic to sell some spiral bound printouts

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

has anyone ever filmed a ufo with a real camera that captures any amount of detail

it would be kinda nice to get one where a professional happens to be outside testing their new Red DSMC2 on a tripod when some weird poo poo appears and they manage to get 8k 75fps video without zooming in and out a bunch like a spaz

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Feral Integral posted:

what is a large coherent spin state in condensed matter? is that like aligning the quantum spin of all the atoms (?) in some matter? Does aligning spins effect gravity or something?

Spin-coherent states are displacements of some fiducial state (whose classical properties must still be determined), just like canonical coherent states (CCS).

They saturate the uncertainty relation ΔSxΔSy≥12|⟨Sz⟩| for any three angular momentum operators satisfying the usual commutation relations, similar to CCS saturating the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

They have localized Wigner functions on the sphere, just like CCS being localized in phase space.

Their phase space distributions rotate rigidly under Hamiltonians of the form H=r⋅S for some real vector r (dubious because this is true for all states). This is also true for all continuous-variable states under a displacement operation there, so again this is not a good way of choosing coherent states.

They achieve the standard quantum limit for estimating a single phase, equivalent to a rotation around an axis perpendicular to the direction of their spin. CCS achieve the same limit in precision for phase estimation.
They are eigenstates of some spin operator r⋅S, just like CCS are eigenstates of the annihilation operator.

some more answers:

The fiducial state being displaced is a minimum uncertainty state, is a maximally-localized state in phase space, and is annihilated by one of the ladder operators. For SU(2) we know that S−|S,−S⟩=0 similar to a|0⟩=0 with continuous variables.

These states uniquely minimize the total variance Δ2Sx+Δ2Sy+Δ2Sz, just like CCS minimize Δ2x+Δ2p (the latter is sometimes known as total variance, quadrature coherence scale, mean quadrature variance, total noise, etc.), again for any set of orthogonal angular momentum operators (ie it doesn't matter if you displace the phase space before calculating these quantities).

They satisfy ⟨Ω|S|Ω⟩=Sn, where Ω encodes the angular coordinates (θ,ϕ), the unit vector n=(sinθcosϕ,sinθsinϕ,cosθ) points in that direction, and S is the total spin. For some calculations this lets us replace the spin operators with their expectation values.

For example, if the spins about which we are talking are representing the optical polarization of N=2S photons, the classical Stokes parameters are Sn and so we can replace the Stokes operators with scalar values. This means that we can consider only the classical Poincaré sphere when trying to understand the optical polarization properties of these states, which is not true of other quantum states.
They minimize other variance inequalities. For example, if we define n||=⟨S⟩/|⟨S⟩| and two other mutally orthogonal unit vectors n⊥1 and n⊥2, the spin-coherent states are the only ones that simultaneously saturate the three inequalities
Δ
2S⊥1Δ2S⊥2Δ2S⊥1Δ2S||Δ2S||Δ2S⊥2≥|⟨S||⟩|≥0≥0.

They form an overcomplete basis for the state space of the system ∫|Ω⟩⟨Ω|dΩ∝I, just like CCS.

Their Husimi Q-functions are the most localized in phase space. This is seen in many ways, one of which is the relatively recent proof of the Lieb conjecture, stating that the spin coherent states minimize the Wehrl entropy of the phase space distribution. CCS also uniquely minimize the Wehrl entropy in their phase space.

If the Husimi function is expanded in terms of spherical harmonics, the sum of the squared absolute values of the expansion coefficients is maximized by the spin-coherent states. Edit: this means that the states mostly have a dipole moment, less so a quadrapole moment, and so on to all orders. Other, more quantum states hide their information in higher-order moments that require higher-order correlation measurements to be unearthed.

They have the largest inverse participation ratios in terms of Husimi functions, again meaning they are the most localized in phase space, just like CCS are the most localized.

One can create a Majorana constellation with N=2S points for any state with total spin S, and the spin-coherent states have all N points degenerate to the same location on the sphere.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

more simply:

If the total spin S is made from N=2S qubits in a symmetric superposition, the spin-coherent states are the only pure states that are completely separable in a first-quantized description. This means they are the only states for which we can unequivocally say what each qubit is doing, independent of the others, which is something that we can typically say about classical states but not always something we can say about quantum ones.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i kinda believe bob was shown stupid poo poo to flap his jaw about in public. hes the perfect type to run that game on. dulce was seriously just ecstatic to sell some spiral bound printouts

If he was deliberately shown things to talk about, he's actually less legitimate than an insane conman because he's a limited hangout

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
english doc, does this mean i can have sex with the alien or not

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

They're both half crazy guys who wanted attention and money, imo

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i was a cameraman for a while and just lol at filming anything in the sky from the ground unprepared. its one of the dumbest hand waves

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Hatebag posted:

If he was deliberately shown things to talk about, he's actually less legitimate than an insane conman because he's a limited hangout

Hatebag posted:

They're both half crazy guys who wanted attention and money, imo

word

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

random pubbie videos are completely unhelpful if you're actually trying to "investigate uaps" (as opposed to just liking to look at things that seem cool and mysterious, which is also a valid approach to life). like there are just so many ways now to either physically or digitally fake a ufo, and that's not even getting in to misinterpretation of banal causes.

this is why the navy accounts/videos are actually good and cool.

Some of these even have the detail people are looking for, that make them look like they have actual structure

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Rickshaw posted:

antigravity words

i remember well over 20 years ago there was this show that showed some weird science stuff that i only really saw once
the thing i recall was a levitating object in some experiment from a recording
i think it was something like capacitors and high voltage
the scientists recorded themselves doing this and they celebrated with champagne afterwards
but i don't know who they were since it was on a tv show at a store i never really found out more about this

Farm Frenzy posted:

yes and no
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2012/11/13/co-ufo-sightings-in-denver.kdvr

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i was a cameraman for a while and just lol at filming anything in the sky from the ground unprepared. its one of the dumbest hand waves

I still don't understand how to make the moon look big in pictures

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The ufos, They are here for my cum and I am gonna give It to them

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Evil_Greven posted:

i remember well over 20 years ago there was this show that showed some weird science stuff that i only really saw once
the scientists recorded themselves doing this and they celebrated with champagne afterwards
but i don't know who they were since it was on a tv show at a store i never really found out more about this

I saw a video in a documentary of a spider put in a chamber and made to float, sometime in the early 2000s, something to do with electricity

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Superconductors is the key word to search for on that I think

vv hmm, I don't remember seeing anything about that vv

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 04:31 on May 30, 2021

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Inspector Hound posted:

Superconductors is the key word to search for on that I think

this was in the late 90s and it was definitely capacitors rather than superconductors
also i think it was near room temperature but idk for sure

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 04:34 on May 30, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

yes and no
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2012/11/13/co-ufo-sightings-in-denver.kdvr

What was the object being levitated? I remember some pseudoscience show, either Sightings, Encounters, or The Paranormal Borderline, showing video of a guy supposedly inventing antigravity in a shack with wood-paneled walls, and he was supposedly levitating some kind of grey or pink putty that stretched out and split as it accelerated upward. It was transparently fake, like way more fake than the usual poo poo on those shows.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

What was the object being levitated? I remember some pseudoscience show, either Sightings, Encounters, or The Paranormal Borderline, showing video of a guy supposedly inventing antigravity in a shack with wood-paneled walls, and he was supposedly levitating some kind of grey or pink putty that stretched out and split as it accelerated upward. It was transparently fake, like way more fake than the usual poo poo on those shows.

this had people (male & female) in lab coats in some drab facility, i don't really recall what it was they were levitating though i think it was something metal

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
I'm inside a UFO right now. Updates later, I gotta go for now, they got stuff to show me they say. Sure hope I remember!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Bideo James posted:

I'm inside a UFO right now. Updates later, I gotta go for now, they got stuff to show me they say. Sure hope I remember!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

xxxcum

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

HKOY FUVK

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XFgs0eGMY

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i am harry posted:

I saw a video in a documentary of a spider put in a chamber and made to float, sometime in the early 2000s, something to do with electricity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E
how about a frog in a big ol' magnetic field.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

yes thats what it must have been.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

free him

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

the guy was John Hutchison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6cX06xsyo
*edit realized that video was hyperbad

The Vinja Ninja has issued a correction as of 08:14 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

buy the $UFO etf if you wanna make money off aliens and think the pentagon will admit little green men are real