Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently what happened is that Asia put them in a cool place to lower their body temperature, so that she could easily put them into the containers on her body without harming them. Then when brought out, they would warm up, and fly away. It worked in rehearsals, but the theater was much cooler than where she rehearsed, and they just fell to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That and Aquaria’s barely concealed rage at the double shantay might just make it my favorite finale.

Especially since Aquaria had specifically bitched about double shantays earlier in the season.

I choose to think her insanely good final lipsync was just her way of telling the producers to gently caress off forever.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Do they get to keep the puppets, when there's a puppet challenge? (it does look like Alaska got to take L'il Poundcake home, though she wasn't a puppet)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Happy with Elektra's win. The "and talent" reveal had me rolling. Also flooded my basement when she walked into the werkroom and gave that nod.

Lip sync gag was also fun. Can't believe no one's done that before. Rest of the episode was very uncomfortable.

At least it looks like there's a bunch of hot guys next week.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, the reading challenge was good and the rest of the episode was also there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, it's funny that all the queens are hating on Elektra so much. I just read the DRDU wikipedia, and apparently Kita and Anita hosted a drag competition tv show called House of Drag in New Zealand, and Elektra was the runner up in the second season. They also featured drag kings

Edit:

Also, apparently Nickelodeon has done a Blues Clues Pride video featuring Nina West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4vHegf3WPU

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 30, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Well, the reading challenge was good and the rest of the episode was also there.

I won't stand for this erasure of Elektra's "straight high school crush" moment

https://i.imgur.com/unTQ01A.mp4
I'm not usually into shaved heads, but Boylektra does things to me :allears:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That episode sure was something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Allegedly Untucked was cut this episode because Etc refused to accept Scarlet's apologies and it turned into a yelling match

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Drag queens having a dramatic yelling match? No one wants to see that!

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
shoulda kicked the racist to the curb
anyway, Maxi to win

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wonder if they will do a season 2. There seems to be so much bad word of mouth on this.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I just started watching the episode. I have no clue what yeast spread is. To me it is what goes into bread, wine or something you want to get rid of from a vagina. Edit: okay they all seem to be going for the yeasty vagina

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 31, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I just started watching the episode. I have no clue what yeast spread is. To me it is what goes into bread, wine or something you want to get rid of from a vagina. Edit: okay they all seem to be going for the yeasty vagina

it's all a reference to vegemite! aka post-ww1 beer byproduct foodstuffs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

it's all a reference to vegemite! aka post-ww1 beer byproduct foodstuffs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

Ah okay I would have gotten Vegemite. I didn't know it was called yeast spread before!

Edit: vv so they don't even like it?

Edit:okay that was Trixie so she not even Australian... At least that I know

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 31, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXiL0Jp7dMk

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Oli's (Etc) sphere of influence sufficiently overlaps with my extended social circle that I always know to step away and mingle with other groups when they enter the conversation at a party/event. Absolutely loving exhausting individual.

Maxi Shield is the most "Sydney" queen there, really quite enjoying their run so far. Sadly its really just an awful, awful season.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Espana is quite good but gently caress me the subtitles use the f word a LOT. I can't catch if it's a loose translation or a literal cognate. Fairly minor complaint in the big scheme of things but it makes me realise how sanitized the English language versions are wrt that considering it's a pretty well reclaimed slur at this point. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. The judges all voting on the lip synch is an interesting change up to the format. I hate that I fell in love with the girl that went home first tho.

It kind of rules they went on a big old tear instead of a canned-seeming send off catchphrase attempt tho. I hope that becomes a running theme

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 31, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gelf posted:

Oli's (Etc) sphere of influence sufficiently overlaps with my extended social circle that I always know to step away and mingle with other groups when they enter the conversation at a party/event. Absolutely loving exhausting individual.

How so?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

They strike me as the kind of person who just has one speed, and that speed is fast. I have a sort of friend like that locally, he's loud, he's a laugh riot, and he's one second away from bursting into tears at any given moment.

It's just A Lot.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Espana is quite good but gently caress me the subtitles use the f word a LOT. I can't catch if it's a loose translation or a literal cognate. Fairly minor complaint in the big scheme of things but it makes me realise how sanitized the English language versions are wrt that considering it's a pretty well reclaimed slur at this point. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. The judges all voting on the lip synch is an interesting change up to the format. I hate that I fell in love with the girl that went home first tho.

It kind of rules they went on a big old tear instead of a canned-seeming send off catchphrase attempt tho. I hope that becomes a running theme

Completely agree! Although, I had read this post before I saw the episode, so I confused whom you fell in love with and thought Pupi was going home. It's interesting how they switched everything up, considering she plainly had the worst look on that runway.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
“Marica”, which is getting translated to “Fag” in the show’s subtitles, has been reclaimed a lot more successfully by the queer community in Spanish speaking countries so it’s not as violent to hear it if you have that context.

I think if I had been in charge of subtitles I would’ve chosen a less charged term for the English subtitles (maybe “fairy”?).

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

angerbeet posted:

It's just A Lot.

It IS a lot.

Also since they're an AFTRs kid, I am skeptical about how much of the 'WOKE up on the right side of bed' thing is an act and how much is genuine.

The whole woke police attitude pushes those who are not 'far left' further away from being an ally IMO, and giving people a hard time who are trying their best to understand, participate, support, and celebrate sits wrong with me.

An extremely talented friend posted over the weekend about their experiences regarding systemic racism within the queer dance party DJing scene in Sydney (not that it matters but his background is Malaysian Chinese) He's hands down one of the best DJs in Sydney for RnB club nights; it's really lovely to know they have experienced discrimination from organisers.

Oli was one of the first to comment in a big showy way, and the cynic in me wonders if that would have been the case if the timing hadn't coincided with the Scarlet blackface ep.

Regardless DRDU = bad.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The other queens did make a lot of comments about Etc's "wokeness" which I found odd when it was only featured on the show a few times (more of their time in the spotlight involved poo poo-talking Elektra, I feel). I imagine what we saw may have been the tip of the iceberg and they were much more vocal in the werkroom. It can definitely get exhausting being around people who constantly need to tie things to oppression or point out why x is problematic. If that's the case, it makes their Snatch Game choice all the more confusing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I mean you can get that feeling just from the clothing they chose to wear each day. Less a tshirt and more of a billboard with holes for arms, a head and your waist.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Watched the first episode of Drag Race Spain and it looks like it will be far more enjoyable than AUS. Has more of a DRUK vibe and there's no RuPaul or Michelle to... Be Ru and Michelle for the thousandth time.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I need to make the "Meet the Queens" post for Espana. Also, I need to watch it. It's been a busy weekend.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
At the rate they keep pumping these out, watching Drag Race is going to become a full-time job. Next, Drag Race Lichtenstein!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Watching AS4 now and...wtf was with Alyssa's turn as the lip sync assassin? Everyone was bracing themselves, yet I don't think she did a single move I couldn't do myself (and I'm old and clumsy). It felt so much like she was told to be lame.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The general impression everyone has is the lipsync assassins of AS5 (4 didn't have them) were just the firm hand of production picking and choosing which queens get to win

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Drimble Wedge posted:

Watching AS4 now and...wtf was with Alyssa's turn as the lip sync assassin? Everyone was bracing themselves, yet I don't think she did a single move I couldn't do myself (and I'm old and clumsy). It felt so much like she was told to be lame.

I also think there was some weird editing. I remember there clearly being a prop we didn't get to see be used.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The fact that Alyssa didn't get Fancy (Reba, not Iggy) and Kennedy didn't get Neutron Dance was one of the biggest crimes of that whole season.

And yeah, my mom-in-law is new to the series, and had never experienced Alyssa. She was very confused on why I was so excited (and then disappointed) at her performance. :( She was like "Wait, I thought you called her a dancing diva?"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, this is only tangentially related to Drag Race, but am I the only person who thinks that this season of Pose has just become ludicrously bad?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is there a thread for Legendary?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Nihonniboku posted:

So, this is only tangentially related to Drag Race, but am I the only person who thinks that this season of Pose has just become ludicrously bad?

It has had its moments and I guess the "BIPOC trans people didn't get a happy ending, so we're making one" thing is a... choice that you could make as a showrunner. I'm starting to think they're going to St. Elsewhere us.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

punishedkissinger posted:

No separate thread, but feel free to talk about it here.

(I need to watch Legendary.)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

punishedkissinger posted:

Nope but I asked about this earlier and consensus was we could just talk about it in here since there's overlap.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

It has had its moments and I guess the "BIPOC trans people didn't get a happy ending, so we're making one" thing is a... choice that you could make as a showrunner. I'm starting to think they're going to St. Elsewhere us.

Yeah, I definitely feel that a lot. Which, okay. I get the argument for it. But I'm more talking about things like, let's make two of the characters suddenly in one episode become addicted to crack, and then they're over it and clean the next episode, with only vague references to it being in the past after that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

No separate thread, but feel free to talk about it here.

(I need to watch Legendary.)

Chaotic Flame posted:

Nope but I asked about this earlier and consensus was we could just talk about it in here since there's overlap.

i just wanted to say i really like Legendary and I think it's incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Pose Season 3 discussion

I accidentally moused over this, but I'm not even upset, because that sounds like...wow. What the gently caress? It almost sounds like someone wrote Pose fanfiction...that's very disappointing to hear.

Anyway, yeah, this thread moves slow enough that I think Legendary talk in here is a great idea. :) I'm actually behind on this season, but Honey Balenciaga (I believe formerly Honey LaBeija?) is somehow simultaneously adorable and incredibly threatening. Defying gravity, indeed!