Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Haney looked great until that short right in the 10th and the last two rounds he looked like an absolute shook bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea he was just diving in for the hugs

Oubaali shouldn't have made it out of that 3rd

edit: god drat good finish

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 30, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Devin Haney is very slick, definitely an elite fighter. He’s very fast, his defence is tight, and he has a fantastic jab and hook. He was on cruise control until Linares hurt him at the end of the 10th round. Haney never really recovered after eating that shot, and his approach in the last few rounds kind of marred his overall performance for me. He held the entirety of the 11th round and literally was performing running bear hugs in the 12th. At the end of the fight, Linares was the one who looked like he could go 15 rounds, while Haney looked like he just wanted the fight to be over. The judge’s scores were too wide for my taste - I thought Haney won 9 or 10 rounds - but Haney was definitely tested tonight.

Haney will be a tough out for anyone but ultimately I don’t see him emerging as the best fighter in the division. He has basically no power, and he’s basically a one handed fighter; rarely throwing straight right hands. And while he's very defensively slick, he’s not Floyd Mayweather. Teofimo Lopez beats him for sure.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 30, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Nonito Donaire a champ again. Remember watching him win against Darchinyan a million years ago. That's real cool.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Donaire Rigondeaux 2 anyone?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
nah but i'd watch donaire / inoue every week on ppv until time stops

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pretty enervating finish for Haney, just ran out the clock clinching

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Donnaire is goddamned legend.

Wasn't a particularly impressive finish by Haney but I also don't think it really matters. Haney is the type of guy who tries to win and not do anything above and beyond that. He's got a tricky style for anybody and while it sucks to watch a guy just shameless clinch for 2 rounds, it is true that he never got dropped and he pretty clearly won that fight. I kind of feel like, especially in that 12th round, he had recovered enough to do more than just bear hug, but didn't really think he had to. The ref definitely should have deducted a point from him though.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Jump King posted:

Donnaire is goddamned legend.

Wasn't a particularly impressive finish by Haney but I also don't think it really matters. Haney is the type of guy who tries to win and not do anything above and beyond that. He's got a tricky style for anybody and while it sucks to watch a guy just shameless clinch for 2 rounds, it is true that he never got dropped and he pretty clearly won that fight. I kind of feel like, especially in that 12th round, he had recovered enough to do more than just bear hug, but didn't really think he had to. The ref definitely should have deducted a point from him though.

Devin Haney is literally lightweight Demetrius Andrade.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

gimme another shot of donaire-inoue thanks

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1399469421521932291

get paid, tyron. get paid and get wrecked.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is Showtime's app readiness as good as Triller's?I imagine there's no brand loyalty for Jake Paul... fans, but they'll want to watch in the same manner, right?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

If Woodley wins it’ll be St Louis’ third-best sporting moment of the 21st century

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tyron can actually knock a motherfucker out, though. He's likely gonna get worked because he's loving cooked and Paul is juiced to the gills. He actually has a puncher's chance, though.

e: one of the best examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv7WgK-pC6c&t=154s

Tyron is still gonna be tiny in there since he's another 170lbs fighter going up to 204 or whatever. He's likely gonna get wrecked in the first round.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 31, 2021

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jake's opponent level is increasing :shrug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Jake's opponent level is increasing :shrug:

Yeah, the fights they're picking have a reason escalation in skill and ladle out just enough hope to fight sports fans who want to see Jake knocked out.

I'm sure Tyron's walking around weight is close to Paul's. The version of him from his last fight has a pretty good chance of finishing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Can Tyron lean against the ropes like he does the cage and just wait for a counter opportunity? Is he fast enough to survive with that kind of strategy? He's never been a pressure fighter.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The year is 2021. YouTube stars the Paul brothers are the best paid and booked fighters in all of combat sports

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tyron can actually knock a motherfucker out, though. He's likely gonna get worked because he's loving cooked and Paul is juiced to the gills. He actually has a puncher's chance, though.

e: one of the best examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv7WgK-pC6c&t=154s

Tyron is still gonna be tiny in there since he's another 170lbs fighter going up to 204 or whatever. He's likely gonna get wrecked in the first round.

He can knock a motherfucker out with MMA gloves and MMA rules. I agree he has a slight puncher's chance, but that's also a slightly different proposition in boxing. As much as I hate to say it, Jake Paul is a legit boxer now.

Obviously, Jake Paul's boxing career advancement isn't normal, and I'd be very curious to see him fight a journeyman boxer but welp.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 1, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kaddish posted:

He can knock a motherfucker out with MMA gloves and MMA rules. I agree he has a slight puncher's chance, but that's also a slightly different proposition in boxing. As much as I hate to say it, Jake Paul is a legit boxer now.

I bet Woodley's done 10x the volume of pure boxing rounds that Paul has. Might not help, but Woodley has for sure seen more quality boxing opposition. Might not have dealt with it well -- at worse will lead to the same confidence that Askren walked in there with.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At the very least Woodley doesn't strike me as someone who is just happy to take the payday like Askren was.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I bet Woodley's done 10x the volume of pure boxing rounds that Paul has. Might not help, but Woodley has for sure seen more quality boxing opposition. Might not have dealt with it well -- at worse will lead to the same confidence that Askren walked in there with.

If you add up all the rounds in practice that Woodley and Paul have done with boxing gloves I assume that is correct. Same with Askren, as you pointed out. I'm not sure what you mean by boxing opposition, as far as I know, Tyron has never boxed professionally. I'm confident he's had good boxers in sparring but it's not the same.

The SituAsian posted:

At the very least Woodley doesn't strike me as someone who is just happy to take the payday like Askren was.

Agreed.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

jake's getting closer and closer to fighting someone who might actually be called a professional boxer! wow~

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i predict tyron will take a punch and stay down exactly like askren did

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

i predict tyron will take a punch and stay down exactly like askren did

hell yeah he isnt getting paid by the hour

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Declan MacManus posted:

jake's getting closer and closer to fighting someone who might actually be called a professional boxer! wow~

Tfw Chad OchoCinco* has a more credible opponent than Jake Paul

*I know he's Chad Johnson again but I will never call him anything other than Ocho Cinco. I bought a goddamn Ocho Cinco Bengals jersey in 2006; I'm going down with that ship

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

Tfw Chad OchoCinco* has a more credible opponent than Jake Paul

*I know he's Chad Johnson again but I will never call him anything other than Ocho Cinco. I bought a goddamn Ocho Cinco Bengals jersey in 2006; I'm going down with that ship

Glad Mr. Ochocinco is getting paid. I hope he does something crazy

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Showtime already doing good by Jake Paul in getting him a development fight as they prepare for the biggest superfight that can be made in boxing right now. That's right. Jake Paul vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

As for Haney, beating Linares is a great win but I really can't picture Haney coming out of that fight looking any worse than he did while also still winning it. I feel like I've watched a decent amount of boxing right now and I honestly cannot remember any time I saw a fighter spend an entire three minute round doing nothing but clinching or attempting to clinch, without being hurt in that same round or the ref stopping the fight before the round ends. I definitely have never seen that two rounds in a row. I vaguely recall Haney throwing a couple of jabs at the start of round 12? but he also threw at least twenty or thirty hugs. Granted, they were very skilled, technical combination hugs and Haney landed them at will, truly some highlight reel quality stuff here.

Wining is winning. If your options are to get knocked out or to clinch, then by all means clinch. Even for two rounds! Even if it's the championship rounds and you're the champion in front of your crowd! I personally think it's an atrocious response to getting hit, because aside from being fan-unfriendly the runing assumption of the people watching is that you are badly hurt, and the referee especially may start thinking you're not throwing punches because you were hit so hard you confused which ringpsort you're competing in. Lots of guys who aren't Devin Haney would probably have had the referee step in, no matter how crisp their clinching technique. I can't begrudge someone risking that though if the alternative is an early nap.

But like... if you win like this, own it. Don't pretend it didn't happen. Don't insist the other guy never hurt you, a claim that is not only so obviously untrue it's disrespectful both to Linares and to the entire fight audience, but also if true would actually make Haney's performance look much worse. I dunno if it's a fighter's pride or what that kept Haney from saying straight out he was in trouble, but it's a bad sign for his mentality as a fighter and for his longevity in the fight game. Haney's reaction to getting hurt was very telling and could honestly be described as cowardly. I assumed while watching that he must have been very hurt for a long time to fight the way he did, because it's very rare even when fighters get badly hurt to see them not even try to answer back at their opponent. But regardless of whether he was hurt or not., if that's the way Haney reacts to adversity in a fight he views as one he dominated, I think he is in for some real trouble ahead against the other top lightweights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kaddish posted:

As far as I know, Tyron has never boxed professionally. I'm confident he's had good boxers in sparring but it's not the same.

MMA and boxing are closer in terms of mental game, heart, and managing your gas tank than other aspects. Tyron had been hit hard out in real fights and managed to some degree. Jake Paul has not been chin checked like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hello tyron 'tons of prospects' woodley, it would be extremely profitable for us if jake beats you. i'll just put this extra million here and turn around

how dare you sir my champion's honour is unimpea- [shovelling cash into his jacket]

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I feel like we’re losing sight of the fact that the only people that Jake Paul has beat are Nate “an NBA player” Robinson and a big fat Ben Askren in a fight that very likely could have been fixed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The shot that put Askren down did real TBI to him. I definitely don't rate Askren's boxing skill to where he could take the sting off a punch and still sell it.
If it was a fix, he definitely earned the dive.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I feel like we’re losing sight of the fact that the only people that Jake Paul has beat are Nate “an NBA player” Robinson and a big fat Ben Askren in a fight that very likely could have been fixed.

Hopefully Jake Paul just keeps fighting retired mma guys forever so that every three months we can get this same post with the names swapped around.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I have no idea why Marching Powder is still pretending that Paul would have to resort to bribery to beat Ben "Hands Down, Chin Up" Askren in a boxing match, but it's still goddamn hilarious. I can only assume they never actually watched a fight involving Askren and only glanced at his Wikipedia page before going all in at the bookies.

As for Woodley, he should be a huge step up in competition and I'm far less certain about Paul's chances here. I still think Paul could take it, his chances probably increasing the longer the fight goes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

I still think Paul could take it, his chances probably increasing the longer the fight goes.

Am I crazy to think that a pretty raw fighter is gonna have way worse gas?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

I have no idea why Marching Powder is still pretending that Paul would have to resort to bribery to beat Ben "Hands Down, Chin Up" Askren in a boxing match, but it's still goddamn hilarious. I can only assume they never actually watched a fight involving Askren and only glanced at his Wikipedia page before going all in at the bookies.

As for Woodley, he should be a huge step up in competition and I'm far less certain about Paul's chances here. I still think Paul could take it, his chances probably increasing the longer the fight goes.

Personally it's because I was about as good as Jake Paul is at boxing and I know how bad I was relative to any pro with more than 3ish fights. Or whatever else you said that too I guess.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's perfectly possible ben askren had no answer for the sloppiest, slowest, most telegraphed right hand thrown in a boxing ring that was watched by more than a hundred people, but i think we might have seen evidence of this at some point prior to losing to jake paul...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ben Askren just ran at you in MMA to get the takedown, so I really do think he was rarely in the range he was at when he got decked in his other fights.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

grizzled coach voice: goddaamn it we've got to stop doing boxing only rounds and letting fat schlubs who've boxed inconsistently for a decade leave our elite mma fighter as a smear on the mats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Am I crazy to think that a pretty raw fighter is gonna have way worse gas?

no, that’s one of those common sense things that actually holds up, young guys and new guys gas themselves after a few rounds, especially if they’re talented