Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's been too long since I last played Deus Ex. However, in the time since I last did, I have tragically become a Linux user.

I own Deus Ex on Steam and CD. What's my best route for playing it in tyool 2021? Just let Steam handle Proton for me and go? (It's got a platinum rating on ProtonDB.)

Interested in a vanilla experience, to start with, so I'm not looking for Shifter, Revision, etc. I'm probably not even going to run it widescreen. (Antialiasing would be nice.) One thing, though: Somebody mentioned earlier that the 1.112fm patch set the Plasma Rifle and PS20 damage to their (much lower) multiplayer values. Is there a simple fix for that, and the muted music in the return to Hell's Kitchen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think there used to be a mod out there, but I can't find it. It's been too long since I've touched unreal 1 modding for me to make one, but here's a thread that talks about the code error and what needs to be changed: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11617

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/MaryLaufeyson/status/1397103546647130112

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It might be worth running OG DX as 1.0, as I know the patches fixed one or two things but did a lot of weird balance changes. Like I think the dragon's tooth that I know and love did 30dmg at 1.0, but was patched to 100dmg, aka one-shot everyone with a chest hit. That and plasma nerfs etc. If you ever find a way to customize those changes let us know!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vavrek posted:

It's been too long since I last played Deus Ex. However, in the time since I last did, I have tragically become a Linux user.

I own Deus Ex on Steam and CD. What's my best route for playing it in tyool 2021? Just let Steam handle Proton for me and go? (It's got a platinum rating on ProtonDB.)

It worked fine on Linux with Steam for me last time I tried it.

geoguessr
May 12, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been a DX2 mod/revamp that modernizes / makes it good like the original yet

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

geoguessr posted:

Has there been a DX2 mod/revamp that modernizes / makes it good like the original yet

There's no fixing Unreal 2 map sizes other than rebuilding the game with new assets in Unity.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There is nothing inherently wrong with Unreal engine 2 map sizes, I have made maps that are easily square kilometers in area with a detail level that matches or exceeds everything in DXIW. They cut the maps into tiny pieces for console memory limits, and because they weren't familiar with UE2 optimization techniques, I hear. That last bit could be the snarl though, DXIW might be coded in such a way that it makes large maps undesirable. While I would normally say a sentence like that is balderdash, I would also say that making your game intentionally crash and then restart during loading screens is also balderdash and no one would do that, but DXIW also does that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

aniviron posted:

I would also say that making your game intentionally crash and then restart during loading screens is also balderdash and no one would do that, but DXIW also does that.

Morrowind does this too. I don't think it weakens your point, considering what a code disaster Morrowind is, but this is absolutely something they did on Xbox Morrowind.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just checked, and JC doesn't run that way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgPYljK-hc&t=57s

So idgi.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

aniviron posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with Unreal engine 2 map sizes, I have made maps that are easily square kilometers in area with a detail level that matches or exceeds everything in DXIW. They cut the maps into tiny pieces for console memory limits, and because they weren't familiar with UE2 optimization techniques, I hear. That last bit could be the snarl though, DXIW might be coded in such a way that it makes large maps undesirable. While I would normally say a sentence like that is balderdash, I would also say that making your game intentionally crash and then restart during loading screens is also balderdash and no one would do that, but DXIW also does that.

morrowind covertly restarted the original xbox during some loading screens lmao which is almost exquisitely beautiful

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm surprised that didn't fail certification :stare:

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

There's a Thief 3 fan mod that stitches the levels parts together, and I thought that was the same engine as DXIW. Perhaps it's just lack of interest.

Other fun bugs from this champion of engines include: Vsync settings severely affecting loading times and breaking getting on ladders/lockpicking somehow, and whatever the hell is going on here

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’d almost say rebuild it in DX1 and smooth over the dumbed down mechanics.

Even the Gog release of IW doesn’t run that well.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 28, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I miss Deus Ex. That self contained giant single map prison DLC of MD was almost perfection in the game— especially the lack of subway loading zones like those in Prague.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wasn't there a recent mod that fixed IW shutting down between levels?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Core Decay devs are starting to release some blogs. I really like the directions they're talking about taking with the game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260940/Core_Decay/

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 31, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So this game is basically trying to be an action-centric version of Soma, with the emphasis on ecological collapse, except that the corpos are deliberately trying to engineer the WAU's plan, just so that Capitalism can be kept alive no matter what.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Phobophilia posted:

So this game is basically trying to be an action-centric version of Soma, with the emphasis on ecological collapse, except that the corpos are deliberately trying to engineer the WAU's plan, just so that Capitalism can be kept alive no matter what.

sounds great to me!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Two Owls posted:

There's a Thief 3 fan mod that stitches the levels parts together, and I thought that was the same engine as DXIW. Perhaps it's just lack of interest.
I'm pretty sure you're correct, I think it just doesn't have the critical mass of nostalgia since it's had more than one modern day sequel (non-crappy).

Btw, I left DEH a while back since it got uncomfortably chuddy so thanks for this thread being the good place where I can discuss DE without running into ironic Nazism.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I feel like even though both DX2 and Thief 3 were a step down from previous games in the series, Thief 3 was overall a much better sequel to its series than DX2. Also while DX2 remains the black sheep of its series Thi4f became the black sheep of the Thief series after it came out...

Thief 3 only really suffered from the levels being split into tiny parts. Arguably also the hub world got tedious to go through repeatedly, and also turned into a janky mess when they tried to make Hammers and Pagans fighting in the streets. Other than that the story, gameplay and atmosphere weren't really a massive step down from the previous games. In general the Thief series is more straightforward in terms of what it wants to be and hasn't changed much between games in terms of just being a stealth focused game with a linear series of levels. I think on the other hand Deus Ex is much more driven to experiment with new things in every game and sometimes the experiments have mixed results.

On the other hand the small areas are only one of a lot of problems most fans have with DX2, which is always said to feel much more dumbed down than DX1 in general and miss the spirit of the original. In terms of both the gameplay and story. I don't think people have as strong negative feelings about T3. I have a bit of a soft spot for DX2 and think it has its merits but it does feel a lot more dramatically different than DX1 compared to Thief 3 vs. Thief 1 and 2.

It's weird to think that chuds would like Deus Ex, especially with the modern games having lots of somewhat heavy handed metaphors for racial discrimination, but I guess they do seem to love conspiracy theories.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

jojoinnit posted:

Btw, I left DEH a while back since it got uncomfortably chuddy so thanks for this thread being the good place where I can discuss DE without running into ironic Nazism.

What's DEH? I haven't been a member of the online Deus Ex community since I stopped posting on the Planet Deus Ex forums ages ago. Don't know where it hangs out now (aside from maybe five people who read the OTP forums ...).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Vavrek posted:

What's DEH? I haven't been a member of the online Deus Ex community since I stopped posting on the Planet Deus Ex forums ages ago. Don't know where it hangs out now (aside from maybe five people who read the OTP forums ...).

Deus Ex Hell, the largest Facebook group for Deus Ex memes. It's frustrating because it's often funny and fine but when it's bad it's bad. A lot of completely unmoderated ironic zoomers, really, which doesn't mix well with my grown-up millennial rear end who has colleagues on Facebook.

To be fair, it's probably a lot like SA was back in the day with the irony, but without any hope of rules or moderation forcing people to grow up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Item Getter posted:

I feel like even though both DX2 and Thief 3 were a step down from previous games in the series, Thief 3 was overall a much better sequel to its series than DX2. Also while DX2 remains the black sheep of its series Thi4f became the black sheep of the Thief series after it came out...

Thief 3 only really suffered from the levels being split into tiny parts. Arguably also the hub world got tedious to go through repeatedly, and also turned into a janky mess when they tried to make Hammers and Pagans fighting in the streets. Other than that the story, gameplay and atmosphere weren't really a massive step down from the previous games. In general the Thief series is more straightforward in terms of what it wants to be and hasn't changed much between games in terms of just being a stealth focused game with a linear series of levels. I think on the other hand Deus Ex is much more driven to experiment with new things in every game and sometimes the experiments have mixed results.

On the other hand the small areas are only one of a lot of problems most fans have with DX2, which is always said to feel much more dumbed down than DX1 in general and miss the spirit of the original. In terms of both the gameplay and story. I don't think people have as strong negative feelings about T3. I have a bit of a soft spot for DX2 and think it has its merits but it does feel a lot more dramatically different than DX1 compared to Thief 3 vs. Thief 1 and 2.

It's weird to think that chuds would like Deus Ex, especially with the modern games having lots of somewhat heavy handed metaphors for racial discrimination, but I guess they do seem to love conspiracy theories.

I mostly agree with you, and I have both DX2 and T3 on XBox and PC. I think that T3 was a good sequel let down by hardware compromises, while DX2 was just a letdown. Granted, DX1 was a hell of an act to follow. I personally like the hub world because it made me feel like I was in a world rather than disconnected series of missions.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

jojoinnit posted:

Deus Ex Hell, the largest Facebook group for Deus Ex memes. It's frustrating because it's often funny and fine but when it's bad it's bad. A lot of completely unmoderated ironic zoomers, really, which doesn't mix well with my grown-up millennial rear end who has colleagues on Facebook.

To be fair, it's probably a lot like SA was back in the day with the irony, but without any hope of rules or moderation forcing people to grow up.

People on SA weren't ironic about their hate, and neither are the people in that Facebook group.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thief 3 was great. I never got why people were mad about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grand Fromage posted:

Its funny, because I was one of the people that got mad about Thief 3. Then I played Thi4f, and now I think Thief 3 is excellent and I was way too harsh on it. I'd consider it a hidden gem at this point, especially with the fan mod.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
The climbing in Thief 3 was jank, the small levels hurt the entire game, and the faction system was kinda weird. It was still fun, though at the time I'd wished they had just used the Dark engine again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh right! I was really butthurt about not having rope arrows. To be honest, I still like the Dark Engine. There are Thief 2 fan missions out there that are works of art (if you are curious and would like a starting point, check out T2X). If someone made a new game in the Dark engine I'd be all about it. The Thief 3 engine was jank but I don't think it should be understated how kind of insane it was that we got those real time shadows on a regular xbox. For some reason I just wasn't that impressed by it at the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
isn't that basically what The Dark Mod is

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

site posted:

isn't that basically what The Dark Mod is

I don't like The Dark Mod specifically because its NOT the Dark Engine. It just feels wrong and stiff and weird to me, like when people complain a game being made in Unity. Thief 2 fan missions are where its at.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never played thief three, I'll get around to it after beating my three year long campaign to beat the second game. But I always get confused about people who compare Dishonored and Thief. Dishonored gives you so much movement abilities and fluidity it's a game that wants you to flow through it. Thief on the other hand is super deliberate in design. You move slow, have little mobility, and are weak as hell. You have to use your wits, the excellent sound design, and a thorough amount of Recon to succeed.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't like The Dark Mod specifically because its NOT the Dark Engine. It just feels wrong and stiff and weird to me, like when people complain a game being made in Unity. Thief 2 fan missions are where its at.

I downloaded it and played two missions and that was the feeling I got as well. Everything just feels off, Like if you wen back to your house and someone had moved everything a couple inches.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

There was the clunky engine, but 3 also removed cool things like rope arrows (climbing gloves were a poor replacement) (edit: this was mentioned above) and the fantastic art style of the mission briefings in the previous games. And the writing for the Hag was really, really bad. In one journal entry she basically stated some 'My Only Weakness' exposition like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. But on the other hand, there were some great levels on par with anything from the first two games (The House of the Widow Moira, Killing Time, and of course Robbing the Cradle), being able to walk The City was incredible, the graphics engine did some fantastic effects with shadows and lighting, and the ending cinematic was absolutely perfect. I'd rank it my least favorite of the three, but it certainly isn't a bad game.

That being said, the first two weren't without the flaws, either. The Dark Engine was ugly even back in the late 90's, and some of the missions were simply too big, like The Bonehoard.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 31, 2021

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never played thief three, I'll get around to it after beating my three year long campaign to beat the second game. But I always get confused about people who compare Dishonored and Thief. Dishonored gives you so much movement abilities and fluidity it's a game that wants you to flow through it. Thief on the other hand is super deliberate in design. You move slow, have little mobility, and are weak as hell. You have to use your wits, the excellent sound design, and a thorough amount of Recon to succeed.

I played Dishonored without powers and it felt quite a bit like a Thief game. Especially the second one. I've always thought about doing a playthrough of those games with powers but I dunno man, somethin about telling the game to gently caress itself I'll do it my way is kind of satisfying

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

gently caress it, I've been in the mood for another sim and haven't played any of the Thief games yet, but they're 90% off on Steam right now - if that's not a sign, I don't know what is. Does the original game need any mods to make it run well on modern PCs? Or as modern as mine is, anyway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Its funny, because I was one of the people that got mad about Thief 3. Then I played Thi4f, and now I think Thief 3 is excellent and I was way too harsh on it. I'd consider it a hidden gem at this point, especially with the fan mod.

To which mod are you referring? The one that I know of is Thief 3 Gold.

Eason the Fifth posted:

There was the clunky engine, but 3 also removed cool things like rope arrows (climbing gloves were a poor replacement)

I always found rope arrows to be very awkward due to the unreliable mantling.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

aniviron posted:

gently caress it, I've been in the mood for another sim and haven't played any of the Thief games yet, but they're 90% off on Steam right now - if that's not a sign, I don't know what is. Does the original game need any mods to make it run well on modern PCs? Or as modern as mine is, anyway.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

Pretty sure that's all you need. The first mission of the first game is quite an excellent intro to the series so you should know straight away if this game is for you.
Also I remember the binds being kind of wonky, so I grabbed these bind suggestions from a steam guide:

Run forward = W
Walk forward = S
Backward = X
Slide Left = A
Slide Right = D
Lean Left = Q
Lean Right = E
Toggle Crouch = C
Jump = Empty (No bind for this, as there is a bind that combines Jumping and Blocking)
Speed Toggle = Shift
Drop Item = R
Next Item = Mouse Wheel Up
Prev Item = Mouse Wheel Down
Clear Item = Backspace
Clear Weapon = ~ (Tilde or whatever you have left of the 1 key)
Jump/Block = Space
Lean Forward = Alt+Shift+W (or use Alt+W if you're not afraid of accedentally quick saving)
Quick Save = Alt+S
Quick Load = Alt+L

This game existed before WASD was a thing, so the default binds are all over the place.

JustJeff88 posted:

To which mod are you referring? The one that I know of is Thief 3 Gold.

That's the one!

JustJeff88 posted:

I always found rope arrows to be very awkward due to the unreliable mantling.

Always Be Quicksavin'

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 1, 2021

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Phobophilia posted:

This is bothering me. WAU didn't have a plan, let alone a sinister and deleterious agenda.

What did you think the WAU's plan was?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone added a decent auto save into the game? For example, one that saves when entering a new area, or when you get certain skill point bonuses for accomplishments, or just on a time interval.

Also, the fact that the vanilla game says SAVING on the screen, but doesn’t actually save your game, when you travel to a new area is pretty much sadistic IMO.

I think I’d have a hard time coming back to a game that requires me to build the habit of manually saving all the time. Plus I feel like I’d inevitably start save scumming before doing anything that might not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GMDX has autosave.