Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while the show's been fun the last three episodes need to be laser focused on the plot and resolving any unanswered questions (I think the last series was already setting up its final arc by this point) because right now I have no earthly clue what the series endgame is even going to entail (especially now that the whole Chise thing seems to have been resolved for the most part).

Hell, is this even the real world or are we still in Akane's (or somewhere else entirely for that matter)?

I still look forward to seeing what they come up with for the final three though and like I've said before, they should really keep making these shows every so often for as long as they can come up with new ideas (basically turning Gridman into its own franchise).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

MorningMoon posted:

I love this rhythm of 16-20 minutes of dealing with pain and grief, followed by absolute poggers.

I'm so glad I made this post. Every week it's this but so much harder than last week.

I totally bought it when Dyna Soldier didn't get Yume in time. My heart loving stopped. The relief of Goldburn's rescue was huge. That combination sequence was unngh so loving good.

ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED ABOUT WHAT THE gently caress THE LAST 3 EPISODES COULD EVEN BE ABOUT.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The show's good and all but I've become kind of disappointed that the main character of a show whose title begins with an acronym for "Scarred Souls Shine like Stars" seemingly doesn't seem to have any real personality traits or baggage beyond "is nice, likes girl." Not much of a Scarred Soul like the others.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1398369136670093315?s=19

The usual weekly kvin twitter thread.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I agree that Chise's whole deal feels kinda unexplored still and that the next 3 episodes need to be pretty focused but also that combination was fantastic and makes me very happy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if next week has a bit where Chise goes "Do you want me or Goldburn on the team?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, things seem to be going well for our heroes (though as mentioned, Chise’s issues don’t feel like they’ve been fully resolved yet) and everyone’s finally coming together…something terrible is going to happen next time isn’t it?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Gorgeous episode, and the continuing development between Yume and Yomogi is really well done. I do echo the sentiments about Chise, but I do like that Goldburn is essentially custom grown to Chise's desires to have a friend there for her first, and to give the support she wasn't able to as the fifth wheel. There feels like a lot to wrap up in three episodes, so I hope it's satisfying enough.

9.9's out too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjLaDaoNewM
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2021/05/ssssdynazenon-voice-drama-episode-99.html
Yomogi and Inamoto have a chat at work where she continues to be his super cool worldly senpai. Just kidding she's still frustrated with her life

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

She's right. Self-checkout registers really do suck.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The show's good and all but I've become kind of disappointed that the main character of a show whose title begins with an acronym for "Scarred Souls Shine like Stars" seemingly doesn't seem to have any real personality traits or baggage beyond "is nice, likes girl." Not much of a Scarred Soul like the others.

I mean, we've seen that he hates being at home because he's got issues with his mom's new boyfriend. He's kind of the butt of the joke for his regular friend circle, and he's very responsible, probably because of the wanting to do anything but be at home thing.

He also seems to have pretty low self-esteem, judging from his actions. He waits for Yume, even after being warned that she's probably ditching him, he doesn't think she just wants to go with him to the festival, even though it's obvious to anyone with eyes, and there's, again, how he's the butt of every joke his "normal" friends make. Even if it's not meanspirited, the lack of any real pushback is pretty notable.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Could this be how Kano died?
Trying to catch her Ankh toy, just how Yume did this episode, only she didn't have a Goldburn around to save her.
That way would be classified as an accident, even if bullies were involved, without being suicide.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

Kickass episode.

I don't think Chise's story is entirely done. We still don't know whats up with the drawing(?) on her arm.

That's a tattoo- that's why she's wearing the sleeve to cover it. A lot of people with tattoos in Japan cover them with small clothing accessories since they still aren't considered socially super acceptable (see comedian Kuki from Osaka with his constantly on sweatbands on his wrists- he has nautical star tattoos there).

Also- Good Smile has revealed their prototype of the Dynazon controller that they plan to release for the collectors.

https://twitter.com/gsc_mechasmile/status/1398449839092813824?s=20

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You can be banned from swimming pools if you have a tattoo which would explain the pool episode.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yep, lots of beaches as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still love the fact that we got a goddamn Ultrazord out of this (though we sort of got that last season as well with King Gridman).

Things seem to be picking up for the group now in general (even Anti and Second seem to be becoming a lot closer to the group)….which of course means something extremely horrible is going to happen during the final arc.

Also if she has a proper kaiju form and isn’t just limited to changing her size I’d actually kind of like to see Second join the fight at some point.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Larryb posted:

I still love the fact that we got a goddamn Ultrazord out of this (though we sort of got that last season as well with King Gridman).

Things seem to be picking up for the group now in general (even Anti and Second seem to be becoming a lot closer to the group)….which of course means something extremely horrible is going to happen during the final arc.

Also if she has a proper kaiju form and isn’t just limited to changing her size I’d actually kind of like to see Second join the fight at some point.

she just turns 40ft tall in her Office Lady outfit.

I've been thinking about this for a few episodes but you know how they talk about how Kaiju are formed from human emotions? I feel like Yomogi's arc might be about him learning to connect to other people, and his ability to use Instance Domination shows that he's making progress.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyronic posted:

she just turns 40ft tall in her Office Lady outfit.

Sure why not, just give us a four way teamup in the final battle with Dynazenon, Goldburn, GridKnight, and giant Office Lady with baton.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
She had some other bottles along with her one Fixer Beam. Mayhap's she's got some useful stuff in there like an energy shield or even just some Buckshot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Something I keep latching to is the line
"there aren't infinite kaijus"

i'm taking it to mean that every person is capable of producing 1 kaiju and that's it. But for that to lead to a finite number then there's gotta be a finite number of people. Maybe new people aren't being born in this world, so each death is ticking closer to the practical end of this world.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
A single handful of Kaiju seeds were scattered throughout the city at the beginning of the series. I figure it's a reference to that.

Actually, rewatching that scene I realised they're dropped from a massive height - inside the atmosphere but far above the clouds, high enough for them to spread out and disperse all over the city.

I forget exactly how the upside down city in the sky tied into things in the previous series, but considering the protagonists have already left atmosphere it's probably not a repeat of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

A single handful of Kaiju seeds were scattered throughout the city at the beginning of the series. I figure it's a reference to that.

Actually, rewatching that scene I realised they're dropped from a massive height - inside the atmosphere but far above the clouds, high enough for them to spread out and disperse all over the city.

I forget exactly how the upside down city in the sky tied into things in the previous series, but considering the protagonists have already left atmosphere it's probably not a repeat of that.

The upside down city was basically just what the computer world looked like in the original Gridman (hinting that this wasn’t the real world), nothing more to it than that as I recall.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

The upside down city was basically just what the computer world looked like in the original Gridman, that’s basically it as I recall.

Oh I thought it was also the upper limit of the simulated world. The 'ceiling', so to speak. But yeah, I barely remember it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

Oh I thought it was also the upper limit of the simulated world. The 'ceiling', so to speak. But yeah, I barely remember it.

It could have been that as well but yeah, that was at least a reference to the design of the cyberworld from the first series.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Keep in mind also that the city itself takes on that appearance as well in the final episode as things start to fall apart. Presumably that's just what it looked like by default before Alexis and Akane formatted it.

If this is the same world as SSSS - which it seems like it might not be? - then presumably the Fixer Beam reformatting the entire planet in the final episode added in an actual skybox which takes care of that problem

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With three episodes left I’m kind of curious if they’re actually going to answer the question of what world the current season takes place in (there’s a lot of similar locations to Akane’s world but this particular city apparently has a completely different name).

I think Anti and Second say something during their debut episode that implies this isn’t their world as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 30, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah Anti and Second seem to imply that they've been to lots of other computer worlds where kaiju have run amok, and this is just another one, but there could still be room for some twist further connection to Gridman or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the cyber world is a big place so maybe other digital societies have somehow sprung up in Akane’s absence (or this is the real world location she based her city on and kaiju just exist naturally like in the Ultra series).

I think it’s too late at this point for Gridman himself to make an appearance but I am curious what they’ve got planned for the endgame (and again, I hope they keep these shows coming every so often as both of them have been really fun overall).

There are still a fair amount of unanswered questions at this point but hopefully we can still get a satisfying ending out of this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The shot of Anti and Second holding a rapidly diminishing sparkler with a sad look on their face seems like a metaphor that the two of them don't have long left in this world.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sakugabooru managed to land a good get, an interview with the director:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2021/0...tion-and-style/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Sakugabooru managed to land a good get, an interview with the director:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2021/0...tion-and-style/

Any particularly interesting tidbits in that interview?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i dont know what its called, but i love these draft? uncolored? drawings of anime

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Larryb posted:

Any particularly interesting tidbits in that interview?
Yes!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Such as…. (I’m not in a position currently where I actually have the time to read the article myself)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 1, 2021

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Larryb posted:

Such as….?
I liked the parts where he talked about directing Gridman, mainly.

EDIT: here's the best bit

Squidster fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 1, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Such as…. (I’m not in a position currently where I actually have the time to read the article myself)?

Well, there was talk about how ridiculously smooth the production was. They had nearly complete animation ready for the VA sessions, which had been a goal for a long time, for example. Akira Amemiya downplays his role in it and upsells the team, but it seems like just being willing to go "that looks good, we can work with that" rather than trying to get all the designs perfect helped shave a lot of time off the early parts of production.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I said it when Gridman did an episode like this, but I love surreal, dreamlike episodes. When the language of film overlaps with the story being told, the subtext becoming text. And that coexisting with tokusatsu giant monster fighting action. Gauma's "princess" wasn't Akane, but we found out that Kano was merely an unfortunate accident that had ripple effects far beyond her.

We got a brief flashback to Knight as Anti, and though the previous series wasn't explicitly acknowledged, we saw it, so we know what he went through. It was a really good episode that shed light on a lot of things, and continues to prove that even if it's more niche these days, Japan absolutely still gets what makes tokusatsu special.

Plus we got to see Kaiser Gridknight again, and that's always awesome. Other things I liked in this episode are the overpowering silence in the first few minutes as people vanish, and Yume finally clearing her puzzle making for a neat bit of symbolism. It's about the heartfelt and the absurd, not making everything realistic and grounded. Heightened reality can be more real than reality, especially when that reality is in one's memories.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I liked Knight bridal carrying Anosillus.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The first few minutes of that episode were incredible.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

a lot of the cool stuff in gridman 9 was attributable to Kai Ikarashi who boarded it and did some of the animation, he hasn't shown up on this show yet but hopefully has an episode

update: here it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Okay, wow wow wow. Incredible episode today.

Basically Gridman ep 9 but from the outside in, huh? I wonder what the final shot of past Gauma meant. Also, we never did see the rest of the Eugenicists's past fantasies. I wonder if they would have been different to Gauma's?