Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Wow, they called you in by text? That's kinda rude. You were even denied your rightful moment of awkward disappointed silence before agreeing to come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
We have six registers in our store. On Sunday, two cashiers didn't show up and one was 'sent home' ( presumed fired ). For whatever reason, at five in the afternoon, only three tills were loaded. No tills could be filled unless they were counted off, which meant having to take someone off the front end to count off in the office with someone else.

Three registers had ten people in line, each.

Amazing.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

That reminds me that we have 13 front end clerks quitting this month. There are like 30 of them total and almost half of them are leaving. And then a few people in outside departments are leaving too. Most of them are citing corporate management as the reason, but some of them simply found better jobs.

So good for them. Our front end is porked and that's very funny to me, but good for them.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

On a similar note, I was working as a cashier yesterday (instead of a customer service deck jockey), and right around 3:30 all of the registers froze. Every single one. Sure, we were only using about 7 or 8 out of the 14 we had, but still. Once the bosses finally figured out what was going on and how long it would take to get everything back up and running, we ended up telling the customers (who, at this point, were wondering what was going on).

Personally, I tried spinning the yarn that since Bill Gates was now single, he tried to have Microsoft hack into Whole Foods as a way of getting back at Jeff Bezos for being richer than he was. Definitely got a couple of laughs, and surprisingly no one was really mad about the whole waiting thing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I’ll be honest: in the last 5-10 years customers have gotten much more chill about IT issues in general. They largely understand that it’s out of your control and there’s not really a drat thing you can do about it till someone that gets paid more than you do figures it out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's mostly that now they have smartphones to distract them while they wait. If they're in a hurry to get somewhere a few of them will still get pissed, but mostly it's "eh, more time to play social media"

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Coasterphreak posted:

I’ll be honest: in the last 5-10 years customers have gotten much more chill about IT issues in general. They largely understand that it’s out of your control and there’s not really a drat thing you can do about it till someone that gets paid more than you do figures it out.

Don't be so sure that the IT people get paid more than you do...

:(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss told us yesterday in a conference call that we are back to pre-covid levels of business. But we are about 5 people short staffed and everyone needs to take their lunches on time, even if it makes orders late (okay cool) or you have to stay late because of it (gently caress that).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's mostly that now they have smartphones to distract them while they wait. If they're in a hurry to get somewhere a few of them will still get pissed, but mostly it's "eh, more time to play social media"

Pretty much. If I end up waiting I just whip out my phone and start reading whatever novel I've been chewing through that day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Many moons ago, in the Time Before Smartphones, I worked at a perpetually understaffed bank, and mostly-seriously told management they ought to install Etch-A-Sketches every few feet along the ropes that define the service line, so people would have something to do besides seethe in steadily growing anger while waiting 20 minutes to make a simple deposit. Management said "ha ha, that Eric, what a card" but smartphones have vindicated me: it would have worked.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Newbie coworker: How did you get that scar on your arm?

Me: clipped my arm on a plastic sign holder 10 years ago because I have the coordination of a wounded wildebeest.

Said scar

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just spent all week standing at my problem solve station trying to get some pallets of broken totes down to the dock. Gotta take them off of the line when their labels are hosed up (or outright torn off/missing) so the machinery can't read them, when they're broken and unsafe to handle, broken/bent and safe to handle but they'll get caught in the machinery, or when they're simply old and beat up enough to look like they're made not of yellow plastic but yellow moldy cheese. Anyways, a week of messaging managers and getting the run-around as no one wanted to take responsibility despite me telling, and physically showing them, that I was running out of space due to having 11 pallets of this crap and Facilities was using the rest of my space to store poo poo for an upcoming repair project.

The pack departments I'm from: "We'll coordinate with the docks." (they don't)
Outbound Dock: "Ah, that's IB Dock's job." (It isn't) "I'll talk to them about it." (Proceeds to go silent)
Inbound Dock: The sound of loving crickets chirping.

Finally on Wednesday night (I work Sun-Weds) one of the PA's (Process Assistants, Amazon for "Assistant manager") came up, shouts about how no one's gonna take loving responsibility for this crap and got a completely unrelated manager. He explains to said manager "Nah, I'll take care of this, I just need one of your freight lifts." At which point manager is all happy and smiles because there's 9 freight elevators in this building, sparing one for an actually necessary project like this is nothing.

So finally, thanks to one AWESOME AssMan seeing me trying to get rid of crap clogging up my work area I finally had a clean work area right before the end of my work week so Back Half can be amazed at how awesome Front Half is at actually cleaning up.

Edit:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 28, 2021

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So yesterday one of our trucks came in. I was in the warehouse trying to defuck things and opened the back door so the driver could come in and get his BOL signed. He walks up and says "So did they tell you what's going on with this piece of poo poo trailer?" Well, no, nobody did. This should be good.

Apparently at the first drop they found out that the counterweight system for the trailer door was hosed. It took four of them muscling the thing to open the door, then they discovered it also wouldn't stay open. So they propped the door open with a load lock. Thankfully the driver was cool and passed all this on, otherwise we would have been a bit frustrated. First store never bothered to call and pass the word along. They trusted that dispatch would handle that (loving lol). So I rounded up a couple associates and us and the truck driver hulked the door open and propped a load lock in it.

Dispatch had sent a tech out to the first store to try to fix it, but corporate decided it would cost too much. Just send the death trap on to the next store! Once we unloaded we had to figure out how to safely shut the loving thing. So I tied a chunk of rope around the load lock and had an associate give it a good yank.

Of loving course I took video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSYMVlzFnnw

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

You made the video private - needs to be unlisted if you want us to see it but not have it show up in searches or whatever. (or maybe it's still uploading, although that usually shows up as Video Deleted)

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

You made the video private - needs to be unlisted if you want us to see it but not have it show up in searches or whatever. (or maybe it's still uploading, although that usually shows up as Video Deleted)

Yeah, my bad. I always mix those two up.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's absolutely hosed. I wouldn't want to go near that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey boss, when its the time of the year when customers want to wait until 8 pm to come en masse to shop, maybe don't schedule the other closer 2 hours earlier and leaving your other closer alone when the 8 pm rush happens. Also when corn drops to 33 cents maybe expand the shelving space for it so the employees don't have to refill the loving thing every half hour. Or say when your employee fills it, goes to the back to get ready to leave and starts heading to the punch out clock and a gaggle of chuckle fucks show up to take every single piece of corn off the shelf. And not only do they take whats on the shelf, but they want more. Somehow your employee isn't spotted and the customer peeks their head in the back and starts yelling out for someone.

And your employee sprints to the punch out clock, clocks out, then sprints out the front door letting the cashiers know that there is no corn

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

And your employee sprints to the punch out clock, clocks out, then sprints out the front door letting the cashiers know that there is no corn

Pro move IMO

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Kilonum posted:

Me: clipped my arm on a plastic sign holder 10 years ago because I have the coordination of a wounded wildebeest.

Said scar

This is my best retail scar though not nearly as old.

Was helping the fill leader throw these old metal fixtures into the skip out back at the start of the year when this heavy metal table bounced back and a corner somehow landed on top of my hand.
Really outdid myself for this one. Got stitches and came out none the worse but part of me poo poo myself later on when I realised I could've damaged the tendons in my hand working some absolutely trash minimum wage work.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

princecoo posted:

I'm out. loving out of the game.
Due to some personal issues, there is literally nothing keeping me in my town anymore, so I'm moving back to the city.

I was back in the city for all of 2 days and I have a job working part time with the handicapped. 20 hours a week, (cos that's all they have available) $650 in the hand. I might go looking for another part time job, but at the moment that's much more than I was making at 33 hours a week in retail.

It'll be nice to be able to put some of my skills, qualifications and experience to good use for a change.

Holy poo poo it's been a few years since that post. I'm now a Director in a Disability Support Provision company I started and finishing a degree in psychology, and rereading the utter bullshit I had to (and y'all still have to) go through makes my head and heart hurt. Especially now I have a pretty good handle on Organisational Psychology and the myriad ways big companies gently caress it up so bad.

gently caress retail. In retrospect the customers were rarely the problem, it was always management in some form or another that made life more difficult than it had to be.

In other news, I don't remember if I ever mentioned having a problem with a dipstick front end manager who was a huuuge bitch all the time, she wanted to be a cop and was married to one of the local cops. Well soon after I quit I found out she was loving the longlife manager and her husband found out when he was on shift and they got caught *BY HIM* loving in an alleyway between a local pub and a flower shop.

The drama is the only thing I *sometimes* miss about working retail, goddamn.

*EDIT: Also I've not had that weird sick feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I walk into a Woolworths for at least 2 years now, which is a big plus!

princecoo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 30, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

IT'S

MAY

loving

THIRTIETH

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For gently caress's sakes!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
On the one hand, it's nice not to waste things just because of an arbitrary date if you know that the item will be good.

On the other hand, that's absolutely not why they're doing it. It's shrink and it's also flying in the face of guidelines. Dipshit should have just marked down the coffee beans or donated them, I'm sure a foodbank would take a highly shelf-stable good that's always in demand.

The amount of expired items I've found at my store would make your head spin.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We were already doing this poo poo with bagged green beans, peas, and bean sprouts, when they expire we open them up and put them on the shelf. At least with that though there is an easy visual tell when those go bad, and you can go through piece by piece on the shelf. Old coffee isn't gonna look that much different, and its in a container with a spout so even if it did look different you can't check.

I tossed it all cause seriously this poo poo is loving parody at this point, and the funny thing is none of the bags were used. That box was full, 2 months after expiration and not a single bag used. How long were they gonna hold it? Until it was all gone, even if that took years?

Clicky Pen
Sep 23, 2007
Hello, would you like anything duct taped to your walls?
This makes perfect sense for me. I still remember when I started the last job in 2018, I found a bunch of old grocery things that expired years ago. 2017 if you were lucky, but I definitely saw a 2013 box of crackers here and there. Thankfully the person in charge of coffee is super interested in coffee and makes sure everything is fresh beyond fresh, mainly in case we wanted some. I'll miss you, fresh Stumptown coffee. poo poo was unbelievable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leal posted:

I tossed it all cause seriously this poo poo is loving parody at this point, and the funny thing is none of the bags were used. That box was full, 2 months after expiration and not a single bag used. How long were they gonna hold it? Until it was all gone, even if that took years?
I will no joke take all the light roast coffee you wanna pitch at me and pay for shipping. I'd rather use it than bin it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ground coffee will be stale within half an hour to an hour of grinding so it was poo poo long before it ever arrived at the store.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Expired talk reminds me of a couple of stories from running a Walmart Supercenter dairy.

I've been out of date for a while when it comes to retail, but I still consider a lot of the experiences formative. This was probably 2008 or so, Walmart had created an intermediate management position (Fresh Zone Supervisor) that sat between Department Manager (poo poo-tier hourly manager) and Assistant Manager (entry level salaried). These positions paid about 17 dollars/hour in our area, which made them highly desirable. Newbie Assistant Managers often only made about 17-20/hr when you considered the amount of hours worked.

I had originally joined on as a seasonal temp, but I didn't get cut when the holiday season ended. That was some kind of Christmas Miracle for me, because even the barely above minimum wage offered was good enough, and my coworkers were good people. Then this new position opened up, and a bunch of the mid-tier experienced Department Managers suddenly got promoted. The real lifers didn't jump at the role, because their wages were equal or better and they didn't want the additional responsibility. But a lot of the hungry younger guys went for it, they were making maybe 11-14/hr and this was a chance to jump a tier on the ladder. But basic Department Manager spots were only paying a couple of dollars above minimum wage. Still, they were competitive, all of the really young people saw them as easy enough positions that paid a dollar or so more than the baseline positions. You didn't really need any experience, as long as you were a hard worker and a quick learner.

I was in dry grocery, and my department manager was a genuinely good guy. He knew the inventory system, knew how the Gemini/Telexon machines worked, had good relationships with everyone. Peter was a champion. I don't know what happened to him, but last I heard (years ago) he was an Assistant Manager. That's a lovely loving job, but if anyone was going to do that job, he was the best man for it. He had the even temperament, the knowledge of every level of the game, the desire to train the people under him that wanted to learn, and the ability to do it all himself if necessary. We should all be so lucky to have a guy like him as a boss. He taught my stupid rear end everything I needed to know to stand out.

When all of those Department Manager positions opened up, I moved up to Dairy Department Manager. I got maybe a dollar an hour more for the promotion, but honestly even if it paid for poo poo it would've been the best job I've ever had. First of all, I spent 90% of my time in a cooler. You want to know how to guarantee your boss never bothers you? Work in a cooler. If you've ever played Disco Elysium, when the Union Boss Evrart invites you to sit in an incredibly uncomfortable chair and it may well kill you - working in a cooler is like that, when you boss comes to criticize your work, if you can draw them into your territory, you stand there in your coat while they tell you to clean this or whatever, and you just give them the icy stare while they shiver and go away. This is why frozen department employees are so terrible, they cannot be held accountable by regular people.

But I remember probably my most shocking humiliation as a Department Manager. It wasn't even that, but in my mind I saw it that way. Today I would have gloated about it. Some lovely customer found a random, quite expired item in my section. They must have pitched a shitfit to the store manager, because he brought the entire management team and more to tear up my area for out-of-dates. I still wonder if he thought he would put me in my place or what the point of this exercise was, but he had maybe ten people descend on my area and start digging through everything looking for expired stuff.

Not to suck my own dick, but I was good at my job. I was trained well, and I got how the system worked. A Walmart Supercenter is a big-rear end store, but if you are just responsible for a small area, you can learn it pretty quickly. And there's an advantage to a high-volume store like a Walmart, if you rotate even half-rear end well, your stuff moves. You really have to gently caress up to have out of date product at a Walmart. So when this happened, they brought those collapsible produce crates to fill with the expired goods. But scouring the entire department, that whole crew only managed to fill one 12x24x6 (or whatever dimensions one of the large produce crates happened to be), mostly with yogurt cups.

I remember being just upset and relieved in equal parts, but I also remember that none of them said a damned thing to me. No apology. No pat on the back. No condemnation. I just remember the guy that I replaced (he had been promoted to one of the Zone Supervisor positions) saying that this was nothing. We never got along. I always thought I was better than him, because I was a dipshit. He always disliked me, because I was arrogant. But I remember that he was the only one that said anything about that moment. I know that if there had been anything of substance there, he would've been the first to denounce me. But when there was nothing, he was the only one to dismiss it all.

Later, I thought about his words when I was looking at the work of the person who replaced me. I don't know that I had grace for them or that they deserved it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

This is why frozen department employees are so terrible, they cannot be held accountable by regular people.

Yes.

I hate it when I have to do frozen, but I still get a sense of smug glee when I see other people wearing gloves and complaining about how their hands hurt while I'm just reaching into cabinet after cabinet, hands wet with condensation, my fingers throbbing with the dull ache of arthritic cold.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Kilonum posted:

Said scar

This ones mine

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

NYT did an article on retail workers getting hosed over by loosening mask policies, if anyone's interested. It's not an opinion piece so it's not taking a side, but it is highlighting the issue I think.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Still down 4 drivers. Overtime pushed every few hours. And our auto dispatch is sending people on hour-long one-way drives across the city to pick up a single item.

Customers are livid their paid-for-in-two-hours delivery comes 5 hours later. I understand. But I don't know how to care anymore.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yesterday I saw the dumbest poo poo I've seen in a while.

This lady was walking around in a Trump hat, a Trump mask, and a Trump shirt. I'm sure if they sold XXL Trump stretch pants, it would have been plastered down both legs and arched in rippling glitter across her rear end.

The first time I saw her, I just thought to myself, 'Now? Even now?'. We're six months into the new administration ( which sucks for different reasons ). Dude lost. And you'd think, you'd think that the events of the sixth would, I dunno. Matter? But we're in a world now where nothing matters, including reality. I stewed on this, as you do, and kept working.

I saw her again ten minutes later, wandering around. There were products on the shelf with less obnoxious branding than she'd wrapped herself in. As I watched her, I had a moment of realization.

My being annoyed was exactly the reaction that people like her wanted. It fueled them.

The second thought was that she looked like a complete clown. Anyone would, wearing that much crap with someone else's name on it. And I laughed. And it felt good.

She stopped dead and did the, "Did you say something?" routine.

I shook my head, smiled under my mask, and just said, "It's just funny is all."

And then I went back to work, and she went on to annoy other people in other places. Set the tone for the rest of the day. Laughed at a lot of stupid poo poo. It beats apathy. It beats anger. It beats stewing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Congrats on finally slipping free of the stifling shackles of sanity

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Congrats on finally slipping free of the stifling shackles of sanity

The world is an insane nightmare run by the worst among us and our only defense against the crush of total comprehension is the bleakest of humor.

rip heresiarch

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Midjack posted:

The world is an insane nightmare run by the worst among us and our only defense against the crush of total comprehension is the bleakest of humor.

Eat Arby's

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yesterday I saw the dumbest poo poo I've seen in a while.

This lady was walking around in a Trump hat, a Trump mask, and a Trump shirt. I'm sure if they sold XXL Trump stretch pants, it would have been plastered down both legs and arched in rippling glitter across her rear end.

The first time I saw her, I just thought to myself, 'Now? Even now?'. We're six months into the new administration ( which sucks for different reasons ). Dude lost. And you'd think, you'd think that the events of the sixth would, I dunno. Matter? But we're in a world now where nothing matters, including reality. I stewed on this, as you do, and kept working.

I saw her again ten minutes later, wandering around. There were products on the shelf with less obnoxious branding than she'd wrapped herself in. As I watched her, I had a moment of realization.

My being annoyed was exactly the reaction that people like her wanted. It fueled them.

The second thought was that she looked like a complete clown. Anyone would, wearing that much crap with someone else's name on it. And I laughed. And it felt good.

And then I went back to work, and she went on to annoy other people in other places. Set the tone for the rest of the day. Laughed at a lot of stupid poo poo. It beats apathy. It beats anger. It beats stewing.

Congratulations. You've found the secret of these bullshit jobs. Apathy and nihilism. It doesn't matter, and that's awesome! Not a single one of those customers, no matter how much they try to stress you out, matters! There's a thousand thousand more, each trying to get your attention or an emotoinal reaction to them that you can't really afford.

Seriously, my life got a lot better when I found this song and adopted it as my guiding motto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aulstjbV8

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

shortspecialbus posted:

NYT did an article on retail workers getting hosed over by loosening mask policies, if anyone's interested. It's not an opinion piece so it's not taking a side, but it is highlighting the issue I think.

psh. kroger company policy since the beginning has been to leave customers alone about masks. they didn't want any incidents like customers throwing fits/punches over mask requirements. the CDC changing it's guidelines isn't going to make anything different in that regard imo.

i'm mostly looking forward to the 15th when CA "opens up" or whatever the gently caress. poo poo's going to be all Amity Island after that, i'm sure. "california means friendship and disneyland is open and people are having a wonderful time" and then someone is bitten in half by a mutant strain of coronavirus or w/e

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://twitter.com/jasonoverstreet/status/1400495910036013060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Feel good story of the year. She knows she's a laughingstock, and she also knows she can't actually get you in trouble because there's no evidence that you were laughing at her.