Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
FFXIV's Bozja storyline not only brings back the bland lady from the Ivalice raids, but hinges the bulk of the emotional stakes on the assumption that you care about her.

Edit: Terrible page snipe. Here's a cat.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 14:39 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah they don't add anything new to the puzzles, except a timing element that feels wholly out of place.

I wish the paths to endings C and D in Nier were less going through the motions of the game's second half. Automata got that right, and I had some faint hope the remaster would maybe introduce some stuff, but sadly if understandably, no.

That's NieR babyyyy

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think I'm one of the few people that really enjoyed the tetris puzzles. They just clicked for me in a weird and unique way that I've never experienced before or since. I'd look at it and the pieces would just fall into place with only a little effort on my part, which felt like discovering a hidden talent or trick my brain could do and was super satisfying.

On a similar note, I really disliked how quickly The Witness ramped up sometimes. I really enjoyed the puzzles that dealt with the environment in some way and just steadily made progress, even if it sometimes took me a bit to figure out the gimmick (like the desert and the color filter ones), but then you got to puzzles with all the different symbols inside them that get really complicated really quickly and my mind just blanks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Witness is a game that isn't very good at teaching you how to play it

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reversible covers with no titles on the spine. I like reversible covers because game covers are pretty bad but most of them are just black on the spine so you have no idea if your about to pull out Nioh 2 or skyrim.

Its not that big of a deal since you almost never see the cover but it just bothers me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

As much as I love the new Resident Evil games not having the title screen voice guy is definitely dragging them down

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Retro Futurist posted:

As much as I love the new Resident Evil games not having the title screen voice guy is definitely dragging them down

I just played through Revelations 1 & 2 and hearing that every time just felt right. Please come back, cheesy intro guy :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
boy that last act in tlou2 was about as gratuitous as everyone said it was

i can understand wanting that final parallel in the story - ellie going to the brink and then sparing abby as abby did to her in the theatre - but the whole epilogue was definitely an example of starting from a desired scene and then working your way backwards to justify it, and the logic of the whole scenario barely hangs together in places. i actually didn't mind the constant vacillation of ellie's bloodlust in that final bit, but what did get to me was the fight itself, which was just tedious and kept making me think "uncharted 4 last boss, but for ADULTS," along with how ellie got back home after it was all over. given how seriously the first game treated joel's impalement wound, it's a little annoying how ellie and tommy seemingly rubbed dirt on horrific injuries and walked it off between scene transitions

conclusion: decent game, worse than i expected, don't think i'll ever replay it because half its appeal lies in the novelty of the setpieces

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 20:19 on May 30, 2021

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

bony tony posted:

The Witness is a game that isn't very good at teaching you how to play it

Yeah, but even when looking at what each symbol meant (triangle, star, dot, etc) my brain just couldn't handle having multiple different symbols in a puzzle. It just can't compute that kind of problem solving, I guess. Like, I know what each symbol means so the early puzzles were okay, iirc the dots had to be seperated and the triangles kind of worked like switches? I remember the quarry being doable mostly, but after that it just became a mess where I felt you had to have a phd in mathematics just to know where to start figuring poo poo out.

Worst part was I understood the rules but it was a matter of complexity that I couldn't figure out. I've always thought of myself as a pretty smart guy, finished uni, doing complex and difficult work (on an entirely different level though, much more personal and emotional) and I ran into a brick wall like that in a loving video game.

Being confronted with my own limitations like that kinda hurt, to be honest :smith: but also helped me understand that my skills and talents are in a different field and I loving rock at that, so that's good I guess. :unsmith:

I just wish there were more games like the environmental puzzles in The Witness and everything except the recording puzzles from The Talos Principle (you better believe I looked those up.)

I played stuff like the game where you gently caress with perspective and the one where you played with the properties (weight, bounciness, fluffiness) of stuff (don't remember the name right now but a stuffy professor narrator guided you through it) and of course Portal, but I want more of that intuitive stuff instead of "here's a sudoku only added more unituitive rules to make things interesting", you know?

Also it didn't help The Witness that they were going for a 'deep' backstory like Talos but just completely wiffed it by having it be sort of religious blathering without any interaction or actual depth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Taeke posted:

the game where you gently caress with perspective and the one where you played with the properties (weight, bounciness, fluffiness) of stuff (don't remember the name right now but a stuffy professor narrator guided you through it)

Quantum Conundrum, a game that owns (featuring the voice talent of John deLancie!).

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The whole appeal of the Witness is those "ah-ha" moments when you piece together what it's telling you about how to solve a puzzle with the very limited information it's offering. I don't think it could be much more forthcoming with information without feeling like it's just telling you how to solve the puzzles, which would take away most of the fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Picked up the Mass Effect rerelease and I'm in the first game. I'm liking it, but you can definitely tell it's an update to an older game - particularly in navigation and waypointing. Seems like it's mostly a crapshoot whether the game automatically tells you what to do next on your HUD or if you have to fiddle around with the map menu to try and figure out where you're supposed to head and set up waypoints to get you there. It'd be nice to have that more consistently automated. Also, who on earth decided the left shoulder button should zoom the map in and the right one zoom it out :psyduck:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Triarii posted:

The whole appeal of the Witness is those "ah-ha" moments when you piece together what it's telling you about how to solve a puzzle with the very limited information it's offering. I don't think it could be much more forthcoming with information without feeling like it's just telling you how to solve the puzzles, which would take away most of the fun.

Yeah, I enjoyed it because of this, but obviously it would have been less exciting, if there was something that blocked my progress completely.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Taeke posted:

Also it didn't help The Witness that they were going for a 'deep' backstory like Talos but just completely wiffed it by having it be sort of religious blathering without any interaction or actual depth.

The Witness was not actually doing this. I made the same assumption and was rolling my eyes at the start, but the game really is the chill island exploration and puzzle solving it looks like on the surface, there’s no twist or gotcha.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I went and checked how many recording puzzles I actually have left in Talos Principle and it wasn't as many as I imagined. So I went ahead and just knocked a few out and now only have I think 3-4 left. So not too bad. Now I'm wondering though, how reasonable is it to get stars unspoiled? I have 2 stars right now from very early. If you had to do it again how much time would you put into individual stars or stars in general before just looking them up? And did anyone find any good incremental reveal spoiler stuff?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also, who on earth decided the left shoulder button should zoom the map in and the right one zoom it out :psyduck:

Paragon cares about the little things, Renegade considers the whole picture

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Phigs posted:

Now I'm wondering though, how reasonable is it to get stars unspoiled? I have 2 stars right now from very early. If you had to do it again how much time would you put into individual stars or stars in general before just looking them up? And did anyone find any good incremental reveal spoiler stuff?

I think it's generally pretty reasonable to get the stars on your own - 90% of them boil down to figuring out how to solve a puzzle slightly more efficiently so you can smuggle out one of the tools, so once you get a feel for it it's just an extra layer on the existing puzzles, trying to judge if and how you can break the rules.

There is one star in the base game that requires some out-of-game information (specifically, you need to be able to translate a QR code without the game doing it automatically, and then translate some hexadecimal digits which isn't hard but it's completely divorced from the regular puzzle-solving logic the game asks for, so maybe look that one up if you don't know where to start).

All of the stars in the DLC are reasonable to get on your own, there's no outliers there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phigs posted:

I went and checked how many recording puzzles I actually have left in Talos Principle and it wasn't as many as I imagined. So I went ahead and just knocked a few out and now only have I think 3-4 left. So not too bad. Now I'm wondering though, how reasonable is it to get stars unspoiled? I have 2 stars right now from very early. If you had to do it again how much time would you put into individual stars or stars in general before just looking them up? And did anyone find any good incremental reveal spoiler stuff?

Here is a good guide with incremental spoilers.

The stars range from stuff you can work out reasonably to borderline bullshit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phigs posted:

the majority of the stars are reasonable to find on your own. a couple, one in particular really is quite bullshit so probably just find as many as you can by yourself and when you feel like you're getting bored with it just look up the ones you're stuck on.

I got the bullshit one on my own but it was on accident with with bad logic that didn't even add up correctly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Taeke posted:

Yeah, but even when looking at what each symbol meant (triangle, star, dot, etc) my brain just couldn't handle having multiple different symbols in a puzzle. It just can't compute that kind of problem solving, I guess. Like, I know what each symbol means so the early puzzles were okay, iirc the dots had to be seperated and the triangles kind of worked like switches? I remember the quarry being doable mostly, but after that it just became a mess where I felt you had to have a phd in mathematics just to know where to start figuring poo poo out.

Worst part was I understood the rules but it was a matter of complexity that I couldn't figure out. I've always thought of myself as a pretty smart guy, finished uni, doing complex and difficult work (on an entirely different level though, much more personal and emotional) and I ran into a brick wall like that in a loving video game.

Being confronted with my own limitations like that kinda hurt, to be honest :smith: but also helped me understand that my skills and talents are in a different field and I loving rock at that, so that's good I guess. :unsmith:

I just wish there were more games like the environmental puzzles in The Witness and everything except the recording puzzles from The Talos Principle (you better believe I looked those up.)

I played stuff like the game where you gently caress with perspective and the one where you played with the properties (weight, bounciness, fluffiness) of stuff (don't remember the name right now but a stuffy professor narrator guided you through it) and of course Portal, but I want more of that intuitive stuff instead of "here's a sudoku only added more unituitive rules to make things interesting", you know?

I highly recommend Quern: Undying Thoughts for more puzzle games that make you think, as well as Obduction (and then go pre-order Firmament from the same devs. They're the ones that made Myst)

bawk has a new favorite as of 00:36 on May 31, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just ran into Thresher Maws in Mass Effect. loving one-shot instakill attacks should be illegal by videogame law if you choose easy mode, I just don't want to deal with stress like that :sigh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just ran into Thresher Maws in Mass Effect. loving one-shot instakill attacks should be illegal by videogame law if you choose easy mode, I just don't want to deal with stress like that :sigh:

They're only a one-shot if you let them come up under you, which they telegraph heavily.

Rule #1 of fighting maws: Never. Stop. Moving.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just beat Mass Effect and I think it's one of the biggest games I've played in recent memory. Fun examples are:

- having the Mako freeze in place and unable move. After mashing the exit button for a few seconds, I suddenly am outside and it is about five hundred feet away.
- the inability to sheath my gun
- the inability to draw my gun
- My crosshairs disappearing
- the inability to turn
- crashing halfway through the final boss
- elevators refusing to move until I get out and get back in
- getting stuck in a falling animation
- random text from someone talking showing up onscreen, despite being in a level with no NPCs,. On the screen so fast I can never make out more than a word or two

Like, yikes.

Also it's funny how it basically plays like a janky euro rpg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I just beat Mass Effect and I think it's one of the biggest games I've played in recent memory. Fun examples are:

- having the Mako freeze in place and unable move. After mashing the exit button for a few seconds, I suddenly am outside and it is about five hundred feet away.
- the inability to sheath my gun
- the inability to draw my gun
- My crosshairs disappearing
- the inability to turn
- crashing halfway through the final boss
- elevators refusing to move until I get out and get back in
- getting stuck in a falling animation
- random text from someone talking showing up onscreen, despite being in a level with no NPCs,. On the screen so fast I can never make out more than a word or two

Like, yikes.

Yipes. For what it's worth, I'm four or five hours in and haven't seen anything more than getting stuck in level geometry a couple of times, you may have a cursed copy of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yipes. For what it's worth, I'm four or five hours in and haven't seen anything more than getting stuck in level geometry a couple of times, you may have a cursed copy of the game.

I didn't even get that in Legendary Edition, I had a completely bug-free game.

Non-LE Mass Effect, though? Yeah, that's all par for the course. Hope you didn't get that one. :v:

I'm into ME2LE, and... gently caress planet scanning. Forever. It was awful in the original ME2 and it's awful now. Crafting systems are utter poo poo in any game they manifest in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Definitely. It's the second one where the production values spike. The 1st one feels like the odd man out compared to 2 and 3.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'd rather have a janky Euro RPG than whatever 2 and 3 were supposed to be. I love how they went straight from promising you that your choices would matter to starting the second game to you literally dying off screen so they had an excuse to make you work for obvious villain.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Back when Mass Effect 1 came out those were high production values and up-to-date mechanics for an RPG. It was a dark time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I'd rather have a janky Euro RPG than whatever 2 and 3 were supposed to be. I love how they went straight from promising you that your choices would matter to starting the second game to you literally dying off screen so they had an excuse to make you work for obvious villain.

I get what you're saying but as someone who restarted Mass Effect 2 roughly 100 times due to the lighting and angles in the character creator being cruel jokes that didn't reflect how your Shep would actually look, the death is explicitly on-screen. And unskippable.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Triarii posted:

Yeah, one of my favourite moments was "I wish those birds would shut up, I'm trying to think about how to solve - OH, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE". Slightly spoiled by the fact I had to look up the last one of them because I think my ears are shot these days

I thought Talos had some lousy puzzle design in places and never bothered finishing it. Tell me precisely the danger area for guns and bombs please, puzzle game. Also, this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crowetron posted:

as someone who restarted Mass Effect 2 roughly 100 times due to the lighting and angles in the character creator being cruel jokes that didn't reflect how your Shep would actually look

Lol this is still a problem in the rerelease, I handcrafted a reasonable looking Femshep in 1 only to find that she looked like a slightly befuddled Elon Musk in-game. I should've started over, but :effort:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maneater is on Game Pass and for a game where you play as a shark who eats people it is kind of boring.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

Maneater is on Game Pass and for a game where you play as a shark who eats people it is kind of boring.

Right? And unless I was playing real wrong you spend a lot of time having to flop around on land to eat them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't like the way Mass Effect 1 handles its decryption upgrades to unlock fancier weapon lockers and such. As you get to higher levels, you have to do tougher versions of the unlocking puzzle, which means I get to a certain point and I'm basically locked out of those caches because I can't be bothered to deal with the puzzles any more. I'd much rather it be something like the high-level decryption puzzles start out almost impossible to do, but your upgrades bring it down to the simpler version.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does it still have the tower of Hanoi puzzle that you can only circumvent by spending about a hundred upgrade gel things?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Does it still have the tower of Hanoi puzzle that you can only circumvent by spending about a hundred upgrade gel things?

Yes.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Then it can gently caress right off.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that the Mass Effect games do okay shooting and dialogue but clearly struggle with any other kind of interaction with the environment.

Specifically I'm thinking of the sliding block puzzle in one of the dlcs that has you awkwardly pointing your gun at big buttons next to a computer screen.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Imagine being the team who worked on the vehicle dlc for Mass Effect 2 and then you play 3 where one of the characters is like "yeah, that was garbage."

It couldn't have been that hard to adjust the vehicle hit points for the remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I just got here and instantly payed to skip it, I had about 160 in my inventory since I never spent them on anything :effort: