Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This also describes some of Asgard's Wrath. You switch between your larger scale view as a god and your control of your avatar/champion. When in the large scale view you can do things to arrange the world to solve puzzles and open paths for your avatars.

Also pick your companions up and listen to them whine about being flung around the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

If you are using Link, the random disconnects could be because the usb connection quality.

The charge issue is more strange, I never had that problem. It always charges to 100% in ~90 minutes.

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Just before I upgraded my pc I kinda sorted out the issue (well, smoothed it a bit) by buying a PCI USB card, because my motherboard wouldn't fully power all of my USB ports with how many devices I plugged in. Having a separate card for that helped a bit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I bought the Fanatic VR bundle and had a couple of duplicates. Enjoy trying to redeem a key a dozen other goons already tried !

A-Tech Cybernetic VR, YKJ8C-M3M9I-RQPP3
Zero Caliber, PHI3H-HHRFY-ZPAYF

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 30, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've grabbed A-Tech, cheers. That looks super fun, so for once I'm going to muscle in on the offer of a free key.

Someone else can go for Zero Calibur, it doesn't look like my thing, not enough to swipe a free key anyway.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mllaneza posted:

I bought the Fanatic VR bundle and had a couple of duplicates. Enjoy trying to redeem a key a dozen other goons already tried !

A-Tech Cybernetic VR, YKJ8C-M3M9I-RQPP3
Zero Caliber, PHI3H-HHRFY-ZPAYF

Thanks for Zero Caliber! I've been thinking about picking it up for a while.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Tip posted:

Thanks everybody!

Maybe I'll return to it in a few months after I've gotten my other game out of early access and completed the VR mode for it.
That screenshot with a low-poly DOOM and Naruto lyrics is great haha

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

raditts posted:

Does it work with other games? Do games you install directly to the headset have similar problems? Maybe try one of those free Valve VR tech demos to test with. I assume if NMS works once then it's playable in VR under your system specs, so for one option, the good news is you don't need to have it tethered with a cable, they just added Airlink to the Oculus firmware recently so you can try connecting to your PC via WiFi and see if that works better.

Second option is to try Virtual Desktop which has worked well for me and is recommended by most people in this thread (and streamlines loading of games from your SteamVR library) but it costs money sand in not sure if you're up to dropping another $15 on something that might not work. It might be refundable if it doesn't, though? I'm not sure.

Other than that it might be a matter of your headset being defective, which hopefully isn't the case.

I tried it with Prey and the same thing happens - the view from the vr set is just an empty landscape that shows an image of NMS (or Prey in this case) saying Next up. It stays like that forever. When I take the headset off and look at my monitor, I can see part of the game in the top left corner of my monitor. So maybe 1/6th of my screen or less? Something, either SteamVR, my usb connection, or Oculus Link isn't able to actually send game video to my headset.

Turin Turambar posted:

If you are using Link, the random disconnects could be because the usb connection quality.

The charge issue is more strange, I never had that problem. It always charges to 100% in ~90 minutes.

I have a cable that says its for Quest 2, this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/37R-002W-00001?Item=9SIAMYED3H2209 - when I plug it in, it gives a green checkmark in the Devices screen on Link saying that I have a good, 3.0 connection. I am getting frequent errors where it says it can't find my headset, or the PC has been disconnected from the headset. I can't try the official $80 Link cable from Oculus' site, both connectors on it are usb-c, and I need one connector to be usb-a, since my computer doesn't have any usb-c outlets yet.

What else can I try? I haven't been this immensely frustrated with computer hardware in a really long time.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 30, 2021

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Node posted:

I have a cable that says its for Quest 2, this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/37R-002W-00001?Item=9SIAMYED3H2209 - when I plug it in, it gives a green checkmark in the Devices screen on Link saying that I have a good, 3.0 connection.

USB selective suspend is disabled? Newest chipsets drivers? any bios updates? Does it pass the USB test thing in the oculus app? This sorta happened to me when using an extension cable, and it would also randomly fail the oculus app test. I got the official cable and it works fine now.

Have you tried a clean install of the oculus app? The headset won't actually connect as a headset until the oculus program is running and you've told it to in the headset. Join the public test channel and pray that a beta fixes things?

I had a USB problem too after an oculus app update (but it was different, was randomly telling me it was a USB 2 cable when it wasn't, and even when it was correctly reporting USB 3 it would stick in 72hz) that a clean install fixed.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Until You Fall is in a bundle on the Oculus Store with "In Death: Unchained". Worth spending the ten euros extra for "In Death" on top of what naked "Until you Fall" will cost?

An aside... I find it hilarious to call a VR game "Until You Fall" in the same way I find it hilarious every time I boot up Audio Trip and it says "Enjoy your trip".

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Until You Fall is in a bundle on the Oculus Store with "In Death: Unchained". Worth spending the ten euros extra for "In Death" on top of what naked "Until you Fall" will cost?

An aside... I find it hilarious to call a VR game "Until You Fall" in the same way I find it hilarious every time I boot up Audio Trip and it says "Enjoy your trip".

In Death is fun.
IMO yes worth 10 bucks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Node posted:

What else can I try? I haven't been this immensely frustrated with computer hardware in a really long time.

How good is your Wifi? If possible I would try to go with AirLink. I too had big problems getting Link to work with a 3rd party cable and even when it was working it wasn't reliable. Part of the problem may be that USB 3 on my old computer is provided by a separate Asmedia controller on the motherboard. So I have pretty much only used my Q2 with Virtual Desktop. Even when I'm sitting on my desk I game wirelessly and only have cable for charging. I bough a separate Wifi router to use as an access point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Looking forward to future VR hits, "Watch The Cat" and "Hit The Lights"

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Armitage_Shanks posted:

I think In Death is a better game than Until You Fall overall, but they're different enough (and both good enough) that it's absolutely worth owning both.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Until you barf

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Until Your Headstrap Breaks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ragnarock is such a special game and I hope when they go full release they sell a jillion copies. I think it works so well because it's not trying to be a "TOTALLY REALISTIC VR DRUM SIMULATOR" yet on the hardest difficulties you're basically doing drum patterns in the air. As someone who is always air drumming to music and has always wanted an electronic drum kit (or at least rock band drums again) but lives in an apartment with neighbors, it's great having something that is close to scratching that itch without having to make a racket. I think the soundtrack is really great too, and I usually lie on the "this poo poo is too corny" side of the fence when it comes to like viking/pirate metal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

explosivo posted:

Ragnarock is such a special game and I hope when they go full release they sell a jillion copies. I think it works so well because it's not trying to be a "TOTALLY REALISTIC VR DRUM SIMULATOR" yet on the hardest difficulties you're basically doing drum patterns in the air. As someone who is always air drumming to music and has always wanted an electronic drum kit (or at least rock band drums again) but lives in an apartment with neighbors, it's great having something that is close to scratching that itch without having to make a racket. I think the soundtrack is really great too, and I usually lie on the "this poo poo is too corny" side of the fence when it comes to like viking/pirate metal.

Same.

They so far have stuck too it and shoved free songs out already once. Updated the streamer/capture tools a few times, and generally listen to feedback it seems.

And I guess technically you can shove beat saber maps into it and it maps to like, bottom row across or so some poo poo. I have no idea but a buddy said mappings hella easy or whatever. If they really reach out to community I think they could stick around a while.

they also could do a better job on social media. I forget they exist constantly.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 30, 2021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just picked up a Quest 2, been playing for a few days. I bought the wrong link cable and then bought the right link cable and then discovered virtual desktop is just magic and works flawlessly and now kind of wish I hadn't spent nearly half the Q2's cost on link cables but, gently caress it.

I want to play Alyx but folks are saying it's the best out there and not to spoil myself. I got H3vr, beat saber and have been playing around with custom songs for funsies. I got the comedy pack and did a little job simulator and that feels very appropriate for a VR game. But...what am I missing?

I also found a few insane 360 clips on youtube but the landscape seems kinda barren outside of the VR channel youtube has, is there a hidden gem of just solid 360 nature poo poo or flying around in jets poo poo that I can get lost in?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Elendil004 posted:

Just picked up a Quest 2, been playing for a few days. I bought the wrong link cable and then bought the right link cable and then discovered virtual desktop is just magic and works flawlessly and now kind of wish I hadn't spent nearly half the Q2's cost on link cables but, gently caress it.

I want to play Alyx but folks are saying it's the best out there and not to spoil myself. I got H3vr, beat saber and have been playing around with custom songs for funsies. I got the comedy pack and did a little job simulator and that feels very appropriate for a VR game. But...what am I missing?

I also found a few insane 360 clips on youtube but the landscape seems kinda barren outside of the VR channel youtube has, is there a hidden gem of just solid 360 nature poo poo or flying around in jets poo poo that I can get lost in?

If you wanna play Alyx, then play Alyx! You won't ruin the entire medium by playing it first.

Honestly, Alyx is extremely slick and a great experience, but it lags behind a lot of other games in terms of embracing unique features of VR. It's a game that would feel very similar if it were played on a flat screen with standard FPS controls, which you can't say for, say, Echo VR. I appreciate Alyx for what it is, and it's always one of the first games I'll have a visitor play in VR because it's polished as hell, but the movement of Echo or the weapon handling of Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades are better examples of really using VR in a way that wouldn't translate to a monitor.

Shine fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 31, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you feel that the polished-to-utter-perfection Alyx will "spoil" you for FPS VR games... you aren't entirely wrong. Pick up Boneworks first, as it's a decent love letter to the half life games and is janky enough in parts that going to Alyx afterwards will feel like a dream.

Also prepare your arms and get Gorilla Tag.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shine posted:

It's a game that would feel very similar if it were played on a flat screen with standard FPS controls

I vehemently disagree with this take. Alyx requires VR for it to be Alyx, there is no putting on a standard monitor which is why there isn't any official non-VR version.
Think of it like a Spielberg movie from the 80s or 90s, not exactly doing anything wholly unique or pushing the medium in an experimental direction, but does what it does to such an absurdly polished, well-produced degree. If you are invested in the Half-Life universe then it's required to play it. As you can tell, I really, really liked it.

However it does not at all ruin other VR games. As you go deeper into VR you'll find what you like. I think 'Into the Radius' is really compelling but kinda janky in a charming way. The mentioned Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has the best gun-feel of anything with guns in anything I've experienced in VR and has probably the most dedicated developer of any VR game currently. Most people adore Beat Saber. VR is a new way to 'do' games, an additional way. I still play most games the standard way, on my monitor. The experiences within VR are wholly unique to it, but it's just more games, not the ONLY way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm kind of interested in the pancake version of Alyx someone is making, if only to see how utterly, cripplingly kneecapped the experience is. Most of the puzzles just won't translate at all, and the toner puzzles where you scan the electrical wiring are going to be incredibly awkward and dull when you can't just wave your hand about. And the horror element is going to be a wet fart, especially Jeff and the part where you have to carefully thread between the barnacles in the dark and hardly dare turn your head to see how close the nearest one is.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shine posted:

If you wanna play Alyx, then play Alyx! You won't ruin the entire medium by playing it first.

Honestly, Alyx is extremely slick and a great experience, but it lags behind a lot of other games in terms of embracing unique features of VR. It's a game that would feel very similar if it were played on a flat screen with standard FPS controls, which you can't say for, say, Echo VR. I appreciate Alyx for what it is, and it's always one of the first games I'll have a visitor play in VR because it's polished as hell, but the movement of Echo or the weapon handling of Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades are better examples of really using VR in a way that wouldn't translate to a monitor.

H3VR armswinger is also the second best locomotion I've experienced in VR. The first being GORILLA TAG, of course.

The one thing I love from Alyx that I wish was in everything was the 'flick' to pull items. H3VR has this as on option, but it can be frustrating, especially when the Alyx flick felt just right.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And now for something different...

My list of youtube VR videos channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBbj6WFKmQvy7MYlgIP51pA - 180Vr, Chinese channel focused on spectacles and entertaiment. Martial arts show, lights show, musicals, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUSElbgKZpE4Xdh5aFWG-Ig - Air Pano, Russian made high quality 360 aerial video.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_wjaG3I92YAegRxrF-vWGA - Escape Now, Trvavel focused short videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/Pandorama360/videos - Pandorama, another travel vr channel, although this isn't as good
https://www.youtube.com/c/SygicTravelMaps/featured - Sygic Travel, the third travel vr channel, although they also have some other stuff like animal videos and classical music
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheVRSessions/videos - Accoustic live music sessions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI7O1tnWh5I8_TWyKX2IqQ/videos - mostly travel channel, although not updated in the last year
https://www.youtube.com/c/VirtualDisneyWorld/videos - Virtual Disney World, rides and stuff
https://www.youtube.com/c/Vrgorilla1/videos - Travel + Nature

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just got a Quest 2 to finally scratch the itch that is The Room VR, since I've exhausted literally every The Room-adjacent game available on Steam and Google Play. I'm on Vacation Simulator now and really digging how I can just pop headphones on, wheel my office chair into the middle of the room, and play games.

Zuckerberg will get my real name and email when he pries them from my cold dead fingers :hai:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thecluckmeme posted:

I just got a Quest 2 to finally scratch the itch that is The Room VR, since I've exhausted literally every The Room-adjacent game available on Steam and Google Play. I'm on Vacation Simulator now and really digging how I can just pop headphones on, wheel my office chair into the middle of the room, and play games.

Zuckerberg will get my real name and email when he pries them from my cold dead fingers :hai:

I also played all the previous Rooms before the VR one and it's great how well that sorta tactile feeling that was always there even on the phone versions translates into VR. One of the best things you can do in VR is just dicking around with objects and seeing them react how you think they would and the game is tailor made for that kind of experience.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I haven't tried H3vr's armswing it feels like it would be awkward but if folks like it I should give it a try. What's good for playing with your friends? I saw the Node crew play Demeo but it looks like there isn't a ton there yet.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

njsykora posted:

Pistol Whip needs not be renamed.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
Got a Quest 2 a few days ago and loving it. First ever vr experience. Beat saber is so addicting and Alyx is just jaw dropping in everyway.

What are the best space or air combat shooters these days? Looking for either native quest 2 and PCVR. I really want to fly around in a space ship or fighter jet and blow things up.

Endspace seems like a good place to start? I tried to get Squadrons going but doesn't look like it supports the Quest 2 controllers?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ChronoBasher posted:

Got a Quest 2 a few days ago and loving it. First ever vr experience. Beat saber is so addicting and Alyx is just jaw dropping in everyway.

What are the best space or air combat shooters these days? Looking for either native quest 2 and PCVR. I really want to fly around in a space ship or fighter jet and blow things up.

Endspace seems like a good place to start? I tried to get Squadrons going but doesn't look like it supports the Quest 2 controllers?

Elite Dangerous and Squadrons are the good ones, though they don't support the Quest controllers so you'll need a regular gamepad.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Of note, Star Wars: Squadrons is on sale for the next ~30 minutes as of this post on steam, at 60% off, so grab it now.

I was also skeptical of the arm swinging mechanic, and haven't used it as a sole method of locomotion, but swinging my arms to "sprint" in Blade & sorcery feels real intuitive and good for some reason.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried the armswing movement in H3VR but really couldn't wrap my head around it when poo poo hit the fan. It was more intuitive than I originally thought it'd be but I still prefer just moving around with a stick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Elite Dangerous and Squadrons are the good ones, though they don't support the Quest controllers so you'll need a regular gamepad.

And vrtol.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, like, Half Life Alyx is probably the game I’d point to as an example of a VR game that really only works in VR. Like, it can make being in a dark room, having to reload your gun because a couple of headcrabs jumped out of the air vents a tense experience, as you have to manually load your gun and try to hurry without fumbling the ammo. And stuff like catching a rolling glass bottle from falling off of a shelf and smashing on the floor, alerting a monster to your presence absolutely only works in VR ( I spoilers it because even tho it’s a very minor mechanical spoiler, I was really impressed by how simple the idea was but how effective it was).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I appreciated when Alyx made me toss a grenade into a vent that was really high, like it was daring me to whack my ceiling light again. The last time I whacked the light the globe totally snapped off and I had to JB Weld it back on. My ceiling isn't even that low, I just have bulky ceiling fans and freakishly long arms.

Anyway, bought a Quest 2 so it's on the way. We'll see how it goes with my router, hopefully it works fine and I don't have to turn around and buy a link cable or a new drat router. We'll also see how making a Facebook account works out, I haven't made one in a decade. Most likely it'll be a real creepy experience of the site just "knowing" who I am even though I thought I fully deleted my account the last time I quit. Like "Oh, welcome back King Vidiot! Here is every picture of you taken from birth to last year, here are all of your friends and family and here's a list of everything you purchased last month. Would you like us to dump all this private info on your timeline, yes/yes/maybe."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Most likely it'll be a real creepy experience of the site just "knowing" who I am even though I thought I fully deleted my account the last time I quit.

Yeah I don't think you can ever fully delete your account. You'll almost certainly be able to log in with your old details and it'll reactivate. I've "deleted" my account 2-3 times and still use the one I made when I was 17 because it just reactivated when I accidentally open the site.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Imhotep posted:

Yeah, like, Half Life Alyx is probably the game I’d point to as an example of a VR game that really only works in VR. Like, it can make being in a dark room, having to reload your gun because a couple of headcrabs jumped out of the air vents a tense experience, as you have to manually load your gun and try to hurry without fumbling the ammo. And stuff like catching a rolling glass bottle from falling off of a shelf and smashing on the floor, alerting a monster to your presence absolutely only works in VR ( I spoilers it because even tho it’s a very minor mechanical spoiler, I was really impressed by how simple the idea was but how effective it was).

Holding your hand over your mouth to keep yourself from coughing would be silly if you had to push a button to do it, but when you have to do it in VR to survive it's incredibly effective.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Holding your hand over your mouth to keep yourself from coughing would be silly if you had to push a button to do it, but when you have to do it in VR to survive it's incredibly effective.

Personally I love the fact that they also accounted for one-handed gameplay as well by scattering dust/gas masks around the area as well. Also, though I never got caught by one unintentionally, if you wear a hat (like a hardhat) a barnacle will take that instead of you, as a level of protection. Needless to say, I was always wearing some level of hat for the fun factor. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DelphiAegis posted:

If you feel that the polished-to-utter-perfection Alyx will "spoil" you for FPS VR games... you aren't entirely wrong. Pick up Boneworks first, as it's a decent love letter to the half life games and is janky enough in parts that going to Alyx afterwards will feel like a dream.

Also prepare your arms and get Gorilla Tag.

Nah Boneworks will make you barf if you're new to VR, while Alyx is super comfortable. Play Alyx first. Then you can go all wild on the jungle gyms of Boneworks and enjoy climbing ladders instead of teleporting.

The idea of ruining VR by playing Alyx is really silly. Play Alyx. Its a great first VR experience. Then you can get into the jankier stuff later.

Elendil004 posted:

What's good for playing with your friends?

Payday 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah Boneworks will make you barf if you're new to VR, while Alyx is super comfortable. Play Alyx first. Then you can go all wild on the jungle gyms of Boneworks and enjoy climbing ladders instead of teleporting.

The idea of ruining VR by playing Alyx is really silly. Play Alyx. Its a great first VR experience. Then you can get into the jankier stuff later.
Payday 2

I prefer to go from Jank to Polish, not Polish to Jank. I never felt queasy in Boneworks, but I chalk most of that up to the fact that I was playing seated, same as for Alyx, but Boneworks does take a lot less care than Alyx does around comfort level settings. Hell, one of the first proper worlds has a sled-catapult which is completely open so you can ride it to barfs-ville.