Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Moola posted:

I really dislike Marvel's trend of "check out our new female hero!" and it's just an old hero but gender swapped

It's like they're too scared to actually commit to an original new lady hero, so they just fall back on "Wolverine, BUT A LADY!"

Give me more Ms Marvels and Squirrel Girls!

TBF, the current lady Wolverine kicks all kinds of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moths posted:

Fun fact: Adeptus Titanicus caused the horus heresy as explanation as to why both sides had the same sculpts.

The "new" Warmaster class actually appeared in an old illustration. The fluff around it is also pretty cool, and explains why it hasn't been in previous games.

What IS the explanation for it being a no-show until now, anyways?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Randalor posted:

Titan seller! I'm going into battle and I have need of your strongest titans!

My strongest titans would kill you, Tech-priest! You need to find a titan-seller who sells weaker titans!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Randalor posted:

It was a Mechanicum secret weapon, held back to defend forge worlds as a last resort

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Cease to Hope posted:

Sometimes it's just a matter of putting characters out there and seeing what resonates. Squirrel Girl was originally just the most amusing member of a team of superheroes with lousy powers.

I grabbed a collection of this series because I liked squirrel girl and the tone is so weird and a little rotten. I'm glad squirrel girl came out of it but bleugh

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

xtothez posted:

It was a Mechanicum secret weapon, held back to defend forge worlds as a last resort

this is my least favorite trope but it makes sense, the AdMech and Imps don't really trust one another do they?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

this is my least favorite trope but it makes sense, the AdMech and Imps don't really trust one another do they?

It's implied that it was designed as a weapon to be used (defensively?) against the Imperium, remaking on the unfortunate title "Warmaster" and the absolute secrecy surrounding its development.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I know very little about 40K lore, but IIRC they have a very uneasy cooperation due to conflicts in their religions, (i.e. God Emperor vs Machine God) so they're never fully in agreement.

Out of curiosity though, how many other titans/knights could typically be deployed with a Warmaster in AT? I wonder if it would just get swamped in standard games, due to being outnumbered/outgunned.
Regardless, it'd be funny to see one being brought down with those harpoon knights, similar to the AT-AT in Empire Strikes back! :D

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Similarly the Custodes don't even consider themselves part of the Imperium or in anyway beholden to it. For the lifespan of the Imperium they only cared for it in as much as it was their boss's failed hobby project and it served to protect the palace.
For the Warmaster's fluff I actually would have preferred a "it was always there, you just didn't hear about it in the fluff/records" explanation simply because the "oooh secret weapon" thing falls pretty flat when you consider the Imperator was used in the open. They've never, to my knowledge, said that the classes we have historically had models for were the only ones around.

To field a Warmaster in AT you must have a valid maniple of titans, so at least three titans. About 1,720 points (including the Warmaster) minimum. Realistically it'd probably be at least a 2k battle. From the little I've heard they are very very tough on the table. But I suspect flooding them with Warhounds or melee/melta Reavers would do the trick.
For the price of one Warmaster you could afford four Warhounds or three Reavers, as an example. Obviously you wouldn't actually go with mono-class lists like that though.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 31, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
For 300 CAD, how much of a steal is this collection of EPIC40K stuff

quote:

Orks
Unit # of
Mega Gargant x1
Gargant x1
Great Gargant x1
Warlord x2
Supa-Zzap-Gun x2
Soopa Gun x2
Nobz x5
Boyz x12
Grots x9
Stormboyz x3
Kommandos x3
Warbikes x3
Warbuggies/Wartrakks x22
Skorchas x5
Battlewagonz x4
Gunfortress x2
Shootaboyz x3
Weird Boyz x1
Gunwagonz x30
Killa Kanz x4
Dreadnoughts x4
Stompa x6
Super Stompa x1
Fighta Bommerz x10
Imperial
Warlord Titan x1
Command Squads x4
Infantry Squads x23
Ogryns x4
Snipers x4
Chimera x7
Leman Russ x10
Leman Russ Demolisher x3
Basilisk x6
Manticore x3
Hydra x3
Baneblade x2
Shadowsword x1

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'd buy that depending on condition.

The more I look at it the better it seems, you're getting a lot of armour and titans for 300.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 1, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Get it and send me pics of those baneblades so I can live vicariously through you

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

If you don't get it I want it

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's pretty good. If you want to know how good, hit up the Vanguard Miniatures site and figure out how much it would cost to buy as a proxy. You won't find original Epic stuff cheaper than that.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

It's pretty good. If you want to know how good, hit up the Vanguard Miniatures site and figure out how much it would cost to buy as a proxy. You won't find original Epic stuff cheaper than that.

I prefer the trolls under the bridge proxies, but they really add up quick. I have a mountain of vanguard though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

I prefer the trolls under the bridge proxies, but they really add up quick. I have a mountain of vanguard though.

What's your discord? I'll message mr facebook and see if he can do it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think that is what you want, rarely use discord.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 1, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

[redacted[
I think that is what you want, rarely use discord.

Nevermind, it seems like he's not willing to ship to America, he's basically firesaling old stuff, which is why he's going with local pickup instead of amazon. Sorry homie

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 1, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nevermind, it seems like he's not willing to ship to America, he's basically firesaling old stuff, which is why he's going with local pickup instead of amazon. Sorry homie

oh I'm in canada, west coast

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross-posting!

moths posted:

Oath Complete!

Claiming the transition challenge for its left shin's red to yellow gradient.

I'm proud as hell of this Warhound, and especially the base. The chain link fence was just a few staples superglued to plastic screen and cut to fit, with small gauge wire across the top.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

moths posted:

Cross-posting!
I'm proud as hell of this Warhound, and especially the base. The chain link fence was just a few staples superglued to plastic screen and cut to fit, with small gauge wire across the top.

Very nice! Looks good. I wouldn't have thought of doing that for the fence, but it produces a good effect, so nice work!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I just bought Warhammer:Quest Blackstone Fortress, and was thinking of how I could host a remote game using webcameras.

Is it possible to do the following?

* Setup multiple cameras over one table so the remote players could switch between viewing angles of the game board;
* Are there cameras that would let players adjust what the camera is looking at, and the zoom control?

It would add to the immersion if players could control what each camera is doing if the camera doesn't have to be static. I'm not sure how many cameras would be required.

* 2 to 4 board-view cameras, so players can zoom in on particular miniatures in their relation to the board'
* 2 for the dice towers (2 towers so don't have to keep walking back to roll in one tower);
* 2 for the player stats cards (static, maybe 2 cards in each frame, or up to 4);
* 1 camera for the decks, where all card activities would occur;

Just brainstorming as I have no idea if the camera products are available or the cost.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

oh I'm in canada, west coast
Ah. I messaged him and he currently has a small bidding war going on in his DMs right now, I guess I wasnt the only person who saw that...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Ah. I messaged him and he currently has a small bidding war going on in his DMs right now, I guess I wasnt the only person who saw that...

not surprising, thanks for messaging for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

moths posted:

Cross-posting!

That's really clever and looks awesome

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Cards are up for the fish elves, and they seem quite strange at first glance.

e: lol

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 1, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not really seeing anything special about their inspired side to warrant only getting it for one turn per game.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Trolls are so good. I lucked out and was able to get a ton of Necrons from HLS Miniatures but every time there's a sale I load up on more and more. One day I'll get to them.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not really seeing anything special about their inspired side to warrant only getting it for one turn per game.

Yeah, especially since they lose their double move/ move + charge quality when they're inspired.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Trolls are so good. I lucked out and was able to get a ton of Necrons from HLS Miniatures but every time there's a sale I load up on more and more. One day I'll get to them.

I've been eyeing the necrons lately. I play a lot of minigeddon, I'm tempted to just grab enough for a couple 1000pt configurations. People like necrons, and minigeddon is a great way to introduce folks to epic. At this point I have a mostly full strength Vostroyan IG and Ork army, as well as enough Space Marines and Eldar for minigeddon. Not sure I need Necrons, but they look cool.

Be sure to request the full catalogue from TUB, so many good IG vehicles in there.

If I did get necrons for minigeddon what would you consider an essential buy?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

For the Blood Bowl players out there: how do the Black Orcs stack up against other teams? Kinda tempted to pick up the starter set since it seems like a nice self-contained way to wrangle some friends into a tabletop game, and I enjoy painting Orcs anyway.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For the Blood Bowl players out there: how do the Black Orcs stack up against other teams? Kinda tempted to pick up the starter set since it seems like a nice self-contained way to wrangle some friends into a tabletop game, and I enjoy painting Orcs anyway.

They're mediocre. A team full of Grab is interesting but not especially strong, and you're paying for Brawler but it's largely redundant with Block, which you're probably going to want on all of your Black Orcs as your first or second skill. You also don't have a good blitzing player until you get a skill (because Brawler doesn't work on blitzes), which especially hurts because you're already so slow. Their shortcomings aren't aren't a big deal when playing against Nobles (who have their own shortcomings), but they really hurt against any decent agility team or even the strong balanced teams like Undead or Necro or Lizardmen.

They fit solidly in that C+ morass of teams like Humans and Underworld (the changes made them a lot more fun but not significantly better) and Chaos Renegades. It's not that they're a bad team, but they're not a good team and you'll occasionally be reminded of that. But this is the same stratum that Nobles fall on, so the starter set is fine to learn with.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Hello frens

For Warmaster, what size are the bases? I'm demoing the game with a friend this weekend and I just wanted to use card stock and make bases and..play the game before we commit to printing any models

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

20mm x 40mm

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

I've been eyeing the necrons lately. I play a lot of minigeddon, I'm tempted to just grab enough for a couple 1000pt configurations. People like necrons, and minigeddon is a great way to introduce folks to epic. At this point I have a mostly full strength Vostroyan IG and Ork army, as well as enough Space Marines and Eldar for minigeddon. Not sure I need Necrons, but they look cool.

Be sure to request the full catalogue from TUB, so many good IG vehicles in there.

If I did get necrons for minigeddon what would you consider an essential buy?

I am the wrong person to ask because I play 3rd edition Epic and I am planning something different with my Necron army by using a Chinese-in-Korea/WW2 Russian wave attack strategy backed by six monoliths with a reserve of mounted heavy shock troops to keep my opponent off balance. I had a great game of Epic where I tried that with my IG where I flooded the board against a mixed army of chaos marines and demons (I only lost when his reaver got my Imperator in CC and tore it apart). It was probably the most fun I've ever had since the time I tabled a guy with my Tyranids in two turns.

Any other Minigeddon players here that have tried out Necons?

Also, if you're into IG, Microworld minis has a range of Death Korps infantry with some really neat tanks available.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I am the wrong person to ask because I play 3rd edition Epic and I am planning something different with my Necron army by using a Chinese-in-Korea/WW2 Russian wave attack strategy backed by six monoliths with a reserve of mounted heavy shock troops to keep my opponent off balance. I had a great game of Epic where I tried that with my IG where I flooded the board against a mixed army of chaos marines and demons (I only lost when his reaver got my Imperator in CC and tore it apart). It was probably the most fun I've ever had since the time I tabled a guy with my Tyranids in two turns.

Any other Minigeddon players here that have tried out Necons?

Also, if you're into IG, Microworld minis has a range of Death Korps infantry with some really neat tanks available.

I have a mountain of Vostroyans to get through, no IG for me for a long time. I use microworld Winged Hussars as my rough riders, but overall find their sculpts too heroic and squat.

Also win or lose, epic is just so much fun to play.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

I have a mountain of Vostroyans to get through, no IG for me for a long time. I use microworld Winged Hussars as my rough riders, but overall find their sculpts too heroic and squat.

Also win or lose, epic is just so much fun to play.

Which edition do you play? It looks appealing to me, with the really big armies. I may go for warmaster instead because I've already read those rules and liked them

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Which edition do you play? It looks appealing to me, with the really big armies. I may go for warmaster instead because I've already read those rules and liked them

Warmaster is great. Not speaking for Virtual Russian, but Net Epic Armageddon is usually the standard.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

berzerkmonkey posted:

Warmaster is great. Not speaking for Virtual Russian, but Net Epic Armageddon is usually the standard.

Might stick with Warmaster then. I'm gonna be doing a lot of 3D printing in the future, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Might stick with Warmaster then. I'm gonna be doing a lot of 3D printing in the future, so.

Good plan. Do one game. Don't be like those of us who have multiple armies for multiple games. Focus, drat it, FOCUS!!

And don't take my previous comment as "Warmaster is great, Epic blows" or anything - I like Epic as well. It's what 40K should be - you can actually use tactics and you aren't simulating a battle where two armies have parked across the street from each other and then decided to throw down.

Both Epic and WM are great games, it's really going to come down to your preference between 40K or Fantasy, really.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 2, 2021