Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

so the new series by Yukinobu Tatsu (former assistant to Fujimoto of Fire Punch/Chainsaw Man and Yuji Kaku of Jigokuraku) finally got picked up for english serialization later this year (the initial tweet has the year wrong) and spanish serialization in less than a week(?!)

you can check out the raw chapters on jump+ if you're curious. i haven't followed it closely past ch1 but the art is great and the setting having both aliens and spirits allows for all kinds of wild stuff. you do get a classic alien abduction scenario with the female lead in ch1 so just a heads up lol.

Yeah no
I know Jump+ can do whatevee the gently caress but an attempted rape scene in the first chapter? gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Roboco: seriously funny. Roboco Beam!

Undead unlock: okay, that’s really cool and I can’t wait to see how this turns out. And that line about him eating those pills made me laugh.

Candy Flurry: I really appreciate the pacing of this manga. It is wasting 0 time setting everything up and as a result it manages to make everyone seem actually competent. That’s cool.

9Dragon balls: the stakes are set. This is actually exactly what this manga needed right now. Stakes, the friends have seen the enemy and they weren’t up to it. The way the realism weaves in and out of the manga is fun.

Elusive Ninja: Cool chapter, loved the more lighthearted tone despite what was happening. Cool art as well.

Witch Watch: I have no idea, I guess rival introduction? Except not really. At least it was an entertaining read again.

Mashle: Mash is still fun. Mash vs the tower was hilarious.

Sakamoto: This chapter felt so short. Which was a good sign. Couple of good laughs.

Magu chan: very happy seeing Muscad get caught up in the insanity. That’s what I want from Magu, not showmen stuff.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Darth TNT posted:

Magu chan: very happy seeing Muscad get caught up in the insanity. That’s what I want from Magu, not showmen stuff.

This chapter did kinda reassure me that the manga wasn't gonna turn into some bog standard action shounen stuff. In fact it's almost the opposite, Muscar shows up as this ominous shounen rival protagonist and just...slowly gets dragged down into the mundane insanity of the rest of the cast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Naputaaku continues to be the best.

Also yes this is the best thing to happen Muscat

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 24, 2021

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love Muscar. He just wants to be the big shounen villain/final JRPG boss.
But these silly goobers are having none of it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I can't believe Gachi Gorilla is loving dead

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Candy Flurry is actually pretty fun so far. It doesn’t have a great plot hook but the characters and art are enjoyable. Hoping it sticks around for a bit so it can find it’s footing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

Naputaaku continues to be the best.

Also yes this is the best thing to happen Muscat

I love that this is a complete shonen fakeout now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Agravity boy final chapter

All I can say is it ended the way it started and ran. Batshit crazy, completely incomprehensible and occasionally quite funny. I have no idea how this got popular enough to receive a proper ending, but that's life I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm glad it got an appropriate ending! It may not have been the best series ever, but it was fun and I enjoyed it quite a bit, aside from the God awful Agravity Girls arc

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The appropriate amount of stupidity and dick jokes. I'll miss you Agravity Boys! I choose to forget Agravity Girls.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Kaiju #8
:rip:

edit: Viz link

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 28, 2021

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you have the Shounen Jump app, I'd recommend reading Kaiju #8 there.

For some reason, MangaPlus and Shounen Jump have different EN translations, and the one on SJ reads a lot better.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't get screenshots of MangaPlus cause the app won't allow it but here's the SJ version for comparison.

MangaPlus version of the text. Note that the second bit is a mistranslation.

quote:

IN THIS WORLD, A LIVING THING THAT'S ABLED TO STOP BULLETS WITH THEIR FLESH...
... IS NOT CALLED HUMAN.

THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO AN MANEUVER IT IS YOU, FATHER...

SJ version of above dialogues.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know if I knew there was a different translation for the series but that one is also on the Viz website so I'll post links from there in the future.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah the different TLs came up in a discord back during the chapter where Kafka gets transported. at least in the case of that one there were some lines i liked that balanced out the awkward ones though, haven't looked at any others because SJ is the primary app i use.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

It is rated "Mature" and the app doesn't do anything over "Older Teen." I'm assuming to get around age related app store issues since it avoids nudity.

mother FUCKER. It was working fine for me on the VIZ app forever. This is why I hate buying digital stuff. God damnit.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If Candy Flurry's gimmick is going to be how aggressively dumb its characters are then I think I'm going to get along with it just fine :allears:

Blue box is getting a color page after only 7 chapters so I guess it's doing pretty well? Seems neat and I want to see where it's going.

Witch Watch, Magu Chan, and Roboco all had some top tier gags this week.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Magu Chan has been an absolute delight to read recently.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1399036415942533122?s=19

would've been annoyed about this rumor maybe a month or two ago, but the series has really taken an uninteresting turn into what also felt like a solid endgame. 3 chapters may still be a bit rushed for an ending, but better than dragging things out unless they're going to like, reverse the stupid character death that solidly soured me on it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I just love how Mash is genuinely upset he can't remember the guy he's fighting.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 31, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Itty bitty Nico in Witch Watch was cute and the end of Me & Roboco was pretty sweet. Big oof at the art in JJK.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I had no expectations for Candy Flurry and wasn't sold on the first couple chapters, but some fun characters have been added to the cast and it's showing some promise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm genuinely kind of shook in way I didn't think I could be that One Piece is doing the "Luffy gets knocked off the battle stage with the big bad and now has to presumably climb back up" like Skypiea again. I'm close to thinking that OP is just kind of bad now rather than something I've grown kind of bored with, I've held out for about as long as I've been able to take.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Candy Flurry being full of cute but dumb characters is great.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm genuinely kind of shook in way I didn't think I could be that One Piece is doing the "Luffy gets knocked off the battle stage with the big bad and now has to presumably climb back up" like Skypiea again. I'm close to thinking that OP is just kind of bad now rather than something I've grown kind of bored with, I've held out for about as long as I've been able to take.

It's you.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Honestly not sad about Dolphin Cop possibly ending. What started as a fun and goofy premise just got bogged down in trying to be super serious and it just doesn’t work.

Should have stuck to jokes about how the lady cop has huge boobs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mash is so, so sorry. And i love it.

Sakamoto days is also still a clear standout of the current lineup along with Mash.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Brought To You By posted:

Mash is so, so sorry. And i love it.
People are trying to murder him again, and he's still just upset that he forgot someone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mash has bad social anxiety and it makes sense since he's basically never had any friends and grew up in seclusion. its a nice touch for his character

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1399036415942533122?s=19

would've been annoyed about this rumor maybe a month or two ago, but the series has really taken an uninteresting turn into what also felt like a solid endgame. 3 chapters may still be a bit rushed for an ending, but better than dragging things out unless they're going to like, reverse the stupid character death that solidly soured me on it.

This series was always very disappointing, since Beelzebub was one of my favorite comedy manga.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Black Stones posted:

Honestly not sad about Dolphin Cop possibly ending. What started as a fun and goofy premise just got bogged down in trying to be super serious and it just doesn’t work.

Should have stuck to jokes about how the lady cop has huge boobs.

Yeah...I read it from the start but I just stopped after the flashback arc ended. Just failed to really grab me, in the end.

Anyway, Elusive Samurai seems to be heading for a nice fight and Magu-Chan always makes me smile.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nate RFB posted:

I've still personally enjoyed OP for the most part, but your sentiment isn't unique to just you: a lot of online OP fans have been burning out on OP during this arc, in part due to the sheer length, in part due to the predictable and formulaic nature of many plot elements, in part to not liking many of the narrative choices, etc. I would say if you're not currently enjoying it, to put it down until the current arc is over and binge it then. A lot of OP arcs flow better when you binge it instead of reading along week by week.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Julias posted:

I've still personally enjoyed OP for the most part, but your sentiment isn't unique to just you: a lot of online OP fans have been burning out on OP during this arc, in part due to the sheer length, in part due to the predictable and formulaic nature of many plot elements, in part to not liking many of the narrative choices, etc. I would say if you're not currently enjoying it, to put it down until the current arc is over and binge it then. A lot of OP arcs flow better when you binge it instead of reading along week by week.

yeah it's what I did for punk hazard and dressarosa and while I don't think it made those arcs better it did make them a lot quicker to get through

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

I would say if you're not currently enjoying it, to put it down until the current arc is over and binge it then. A lot of OP arcs flow better when you binge it instead of reading along week by week.

That's been my MO since a little after the timeskip. I remember I read the Dressrosa arc all in one go and enjoyed it, but when I went to see what others were saying about it I was shocked to see how much people loving hated it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I love One Piece to death but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t take me binging the whole thing up to around the start of the palace invasion to fall back in love with it because some stuff in there is just way more palatable while binging, and I’d also be lying if I said that ive been rolling my eyes super hard for the past three weeks ever since the cliffhanger of “go rest up guys I got this poo poo oh drat I guess I don’t have this poo poo time to get thrown off the island so we can begin the long, laborious process of getting me out of the ocean and back up to Kaido to pull off a win against an immovable force of nature that’s said to be impossible to subdue in one-on-one combat”.

Like Julias said, if you’re not enjoying OP there’s really no shame in putting it down for a while.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it would be nice if oda broke up the dynamic of the big bad fight for luffy more often. tends to play out the same way in most arcs

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I disliked a lot of post-timeskip One Piece but I'm enjoying Wano, for what it's worth. It helps, I guess, that 1) Kaidou has been hyped enough that I don't expect him to go down easily, as opposed to Dressrosa where we knew Fujitora could have taken out Doflamingo whenever he wanted, and 2) Wano's panel space is devoted mostly to fighting and backstory, as opposed to running from the gas or similar nonsense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Another dark chapter of Roboco...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mash: Was good. Loved the baby gang. Loved poor Mash feeling sorry. It's okay Mash, I barely recognize him either. :unsmith:

Undead Unluck: I was wondering what would've happened to his powers and what it could mean to the round table, still an interesting development. That final attack seems ridiculously complicated though. If he can''t move, just shoot him.

Sakamoto: This fight was really awesome. And I really enjoyed the reappearance from the killing you in my mind gag. I was getting tired of that gag, but it's been gone so long and fits in so seamlessly here that it's just plain perfect.

Witch Watch: This should be stupid. :allears:

9 Dragonballs: Man I love these guys. I like that they went at it in two different ways and that both ways work well. The delusional one thinks everyone needs a pep talk and everyone gives him the room to do so despite it not being needed any more. And the rest already went with the geek to figure it out. Same way he figured out how to boost himself. It's just nice and inoffensive all round and they're good kids.

Roboco was really sweet again and some cool Death Note shout outs. I love these guys being good friends.

Magu chan: Was exactly what I want Maguchan to be. Sweet and cute. :) They made a very nice trio of minor gods this way. I'm a little surprised Muscar didn't stumble in and tried to use fate to make a bigger temple.

I haven't read the rest yet....there's so much to read now.