Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m sure you’ve seen Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky, but the same director did an action-horror movie with Chow Yun-Fat and Maggie Cheung called The Seventh Curse, and it’s absolutely buckwild. The opening scene plays like a dry run of the hospital shootout from Hard Boiled, and then it’s revealed the main character (Siu-Ho Chin) has been infected with a 7-step blood curse he must be cured of before he dies. There’s a lot of wild poo poo like Chow Yun-Fat wielding an RPG, 100 children getting crushed so their blood can be used in an immortality potion, a skeleton rips off a dude’s head and eats his spinal cord (this is the director of Riki-Oh after all) and it’s completely bonkers.

I did not know the dude who did Riki-Oh also did The Seventh Curse, that makes a ton of sense (in that both of them rule loving hard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Nest owns. I also really liked the first Crimson Rivers. That sequel...

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Disposable Scud posted:

The Nest owns. I also really liked the first Crimson Rivers. That sequel...

There is apparently a 3-season (short seasons though, 24 episodes in total) TV series as well. The French really like their moody cop shows in remote locations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for those cool movies, folks! Riki-Oh rocks for sure, that wall punch is one of the iconic movie moments.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I watched Cobra last night and man that is the quintessential 80s action movie. Satanic axe gangs, judges letting everyone go, weird dance numbers where some lady rubs against a robot while people clang axes together and it's all played extremely straight. Really just an all time great movie

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ah the 80s. You just might like the Miami Vice episode Viking Bikers From Hell, story by John Milius, with Reb Brown as the big villain. We're talking about 47 of 1987's finest action packed minutes. Pretty funny too, and most righteous.

While I randomly recommend Vice eps, The Home Invaders directed by Abel Ferrara is a great ep.

Also Streets of Fire rules, can't miss that movie.

The Killer is my fav 80s action movie, and a fav movie in general. For that fun cheese zen I go for Commando. For further down the cheese path, big Michael Dudikoff fan. Avenging Force, American Ninja, etc. B-movie fun zen like No Retreat No Surrender, classics like Bloodsport. Lots of HK, Duel to the Death, what a movie.

So many to choose from! My fav 80s Stallone movie is Rocky 3 I think, honorable mention to First Blood.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If we're talking 80's action, Predator (1987) reigns supreme and is pretty much the perfect action movie in many ways.

It's a brilliant subversion of the genre as it defined itself up to that point.

The memorable lines are near endless, and even the squeal stands up and that is another hill that I will gladly die on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If we're talking 80's action, Predator (1987) reigns supreme and is pretty much the perfect action movie in many ways.

It's a brilliant subversion of the genre as it defined itself up to that point.

The memorable lines are near endless, and even the squeal stands up and that is another hill that I will gladly die on.

From the moment the movie starts up until the iconic handshake absolutely no shooty action happens and it's still incredibly exciting. I loving love the soundtrack for getting my blood pumping while some dudes get out of a helicopter, it's loving amazing.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stone Cold is 1991, but I'd still put it as 80s as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNfag1hosI

Also, the Huey flying down the street 3' off the deck is one of the best helicopter stunts on film.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 30, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

From the moment the movie starts up until the iconic handshake absolutely no shooty action happens and it's still incredibly exciting. I loving love the soundtrack for getting my blood pumping while some dudes get out of a helicopter, it's loving amazing.

Long Tall Sally was an inspired choice there, for sure. I can't imagine it working with any other song.

PeterCat posted:

90s don't start until December 10 1993 so we're good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Long Tall Sally was an inspired choice there, for sure. I can't imagine it working with any other song.

No, I meant before that :p The score is just ridiculously exciting and hilarious if you take a step back and watch what is actually happening: A chopper arrives, some dudes get out, one of them drives along a beach in a jeep.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The most 80s action movie made in 1991 is Showdown In Little Tokyo. It’s like 75 minutes long and jam-packed with overacting and INSANE homoeroticism. It’s a movie that ping pongs between a guy snapping his own neck as seppuku in a prison cell to a meth-fueled sex decapitation to naked lady sumo wrestling, all in the first twenty minutes.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lumbermouth posted:

The most 80s action movie made in 1991 is Showdown In Little Tokyo. It’s like 75 minutes long and jam-packed with overacting and INSANE homoeroticism. It’s a movie that ping pongs between a guy snapping his own neck as seppuku in a prison cell to a meth-fueled sex decapitation to naked lady sumo wrestling, all in the first twenty minutes.

Brandon Lee complimenting the size of Dolph Lundren's dick is peak homoeroticism.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I first saw SiLT on a date. We settled for it because Chuck Norris' SIDEKICKS was rented out already . It was a hit. I showed it to my spouse a couple months ago, it was a hit. In my experience, this movie has magical powers that makes anyone you watch it with gently caress you, so please watch Showdown in Little Tokyo responsibly.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

PeterCat posted:

Also, the Huey flying down the street 3' off the deck is one of the best helicopter stunts on film.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848596/

Now that's an action movie resume. Only Blue Thunder is missing from 100% Platinum completion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, Riders of Justice is pretty awesome. Like a better Nobody with Mads Mikkelsen. The action is more grounded but it's also sometimes hilarious and actually tries to make a point about violence, finding meaning in random events, and other life crap.

dokmo posted:

On The Run (1988) is a superior character driven thriller with neo noir accents and an oppressive tone. Harrison Ford used to make movies like this all the time, sometimes almost this good. Yuen Biao plays against type as a desperate ordinary guy on the run from killers (he gets one small stunt to remind everyone he is in fact Yuen Biao, but otherwise plays the scared normal guy straight).

Hong Kong did not make a lot of movies like this, which is a bummer.
This sounds great, was anyone able to actually find it somewhere?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Ah the 80s. You just might like the Miami Vice episode Viking Bikers From Hell, story by John Milius, with Reb Brown as the big villain. We're talking about 47 of 1987's finest action packed minutes. Pretty funny too, and most righteous.

While I randomly recommend Vice eps, The Home Invaders directed by Abel Ferrara is a great ep.

Also Streets of Fire rules, can't miss that movie.

The Killer is my fav 80s action movie, and a fav movie in general. For that fun cheese zen I go for Commando. For further down the cheese path, big Michael Dudikoff fan. Avenging Force, American Ninja, etc. B-movie fun zen like No Retreat No Surrender, classics like Bloodsport. Lots of HK, Duel to the Death, what a movie.

So many to choose from! My fav 80s Stallone movie is Rocky 3 I think, honorable mention to First Blood.

Streets of Fire and Cobra. Lol cannot get enough of leather men clanging their weapons in unison on the street.

Streets of Fire is such a pure movie, just not even bothering to stop from the first minute. Walter Hill is a treasure.

E: the movie loving ends in a sledgehammer fight

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yes, glorious stuff! And that masterful Jim Steinman music, Rick Moranis, can't go wrong.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa, Riders of Justice is pretty awesome. Like a better Nobody with Mads Mikkelsen. The action is more grounded but it's also sometimes hilarious and actually tries to make a point about violence, finding meaning in random events, and other life crap.

I really loved this, Mads just loving rules in everything. Also, like you said, I like that it was trying to say some stuff about mental illness and violence, instead of just being a revenge movie.

Not that there's anything wrong with straight up revenge movies, it's like my favorite action sub-genre.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

90s don't start until December 10 1993 so we're good.

I play Long Tall Sally in my set on stage and you can always tell who the Predator fans are. I can literally see guys over 35 excitedly quoting the movie or calling themselves a sexual tyrannosaurus to their friends :3:

I'll sometimes introduce the song as being "from the greatest story ever told"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I really loved this, Mads just loving rules in everything. Also, like you said, I like that it was trying to say some stuff about mental illness and violence, instead of just being a revenge movie.

Not that there's anything wrong with straight up revenge movies, it's like my favorite action sub-genre.

I feel like the english language trailer kinda showed a different movie to what it actually was. It isn't nearly as serious as the trailer tries to make it appear.

Generally speaking though you're always in for a good time when Anders Thomas Jensen is paired up with Mads Mikkelsen, though I'm not sure how well a lot of the humour in their earlier movies translates from danish.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

mobby_6kl posted:

I had to resort to nefarious means to watch On The Run.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterCat posted:

This is absolutely and 80s action movie (and an awesome one). Like linearly, year wise the 80s ended in 1989 and the 90s started with 1990, but like form a cultural/historical standpoint, the same way some historians would say the 19th century really ENDS when WWI begins, I'd argue that Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) is like a final entry/end of the 80s action movie era.

But one thing that does make Stone Cold 90s is that the villains are white supremacists, see also Best of the Best 3.

Heavy Metal posted:

Thank you for the Miami Vice recommendations. :D

The Killer is so loving awesome. It says a lot about John Woo's influence that whenever I show it to people they just assume it's from the early to mid 90s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Well The Killer is kind of cheating, it's so great

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Oh yeah I like them too (e.g. John Wick) but sometimes it can get kind of gross if they're not careful with the script

dokmo posted:

I had to resort to nefarious means to watch On The Run.

I'd never do such a thing of course but a friend said he wasn't able to find in the usual lawless port either. It's a tough cookie!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh yeah I like them too (e.g. John Wick) but sometimes it can get kind of gross if they're not careful with the script

I love the genre but it’s definitely almost always a reactionary power fantasy where the targets of vengeance are whatever poor group is being publicly maligned at the time, be it “urban youths” or swarthy Muslims in Europe or whatever.

That’s why John Wick is the best of then, because social conscience doesn’t even twinge at the thought of puppy killers being violently murdered.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I love the genre but it’s definitely almost always a reactionary power fantasy where the targets of vengeance are whatever poor group is being publicly maligned at the time, be it “urban youths” or swarthy Muslims in Europe or whatever.

That’s why John Wick is the best of then, because social conscience doesn’t even twinge at the thought of puppy killers being violently murdered.

The first two movies end with him killing the richest character in the film and the third ends with him forming an alliance with the underclass to wage war on the aristocracy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol that stretch in the 80s when JAMAICAN GANGBANGERS were in every movie

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Need a version of The Foreigner where the target is just a regular government minister who okayed economic stimulus/gentrified an "ethnic" neighborhood?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

what i love about The Foreigner is that Jackie Chan just starts terrorizing the poo poo out of some random government official that he has no reason to think has any information to help him. we the audience know what's up, but from Jackie Chan's perspective his plan was apparently to bomb the poo poo out of this guy, then move on to some other official, and so on until he finds the right guy?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

All coming to ahead in 1990 with Marked for Death and Predator 2.

EDIT: IIRC Voodoo specifically isn't really a thing in Jamaica though it's a prominent in both JAMAICAN GANGBANGERS parts of those movies. There is Obeah which I see sometimes referred to as Jamaican Voodoo, but "Obeah" itself is sort of a homogenization of a wide variety of beliefs and practices, but I think I just put more thought into this than either of those movies did lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 1, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Can't get over Pearse Brosnan playing a gerry adams stand in in the foreigner - he even looks like the perfect movie version of him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Foreigner didn't have enough Jackie action in it for me. I mean I get it, the intention was to do more of a thriller than an action movie but I was still disappointed. Jackie was great in it though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Ioan Grillo had a good chapter in one of his books explaining the conditions that lead to that dominating the imagination for that brief period.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Snowman_McK posted:

Ioan Grillo had a good chapter in one of his books explaining the conditions that lead to that dominating the imagination for that brief period.

The conditions are very clear: fookin Voodoo magic,Mon!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
We had so many VHS tapes when I was a kid but my mom refused to let my dad buy Marked for Death because it creeped her out too bad when he rented it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

dokmo posted:

what i love about The Foreigner is that Jackie Chan just starts terrorizing the poo poo out of some random government official that he has no reason to think has any information to help him. we the audience know what's up, but from Jackie Chan's perspective his plan was apparently to bomb the poo poo out of this guy, then move on to some other official, and so on until he finds the right guy?

Pierce Brosnan's character was publicly known as a former high ranking member of the IRA.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol when you mentioned The Foreigner I first thought

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Then you will love The Foreigner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRrP7Dcs9E

note: you will probably not love The Foreigner

It's not quite modern-era bagel-beard Seagal, but it is late-era no-effort dtv poo poo.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Pierce Brosnan's character was publicly known as a former high ranking member of the IRA.

oh reallly? i missed that bit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRrP7Dcs9E

note: you will probably not love The Foreigner
I'm in awe of how badly this is shot. If you hadn't told me this was a video of "Steven Seagal kills a man with an exploding CD" I would not have ever figured it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

what were the conditions, increasing amount of immigrants from the Caribbean?