Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
accurate. i feel like if they were like "yup, there's aliens visiting, here's irrefutable proof" you'd get maybe half a week of blanket coverage, a month of increasingly poo poo thinkpieces, and then people would just sort of move on to the next thing.

then in december when everyone's doing 2021 retrospectives people would be like "woah crazy, remember when we found out aliens are here?" "haha forgot about this! wild" and a lot of "this was fake imho"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Every single poster in the D&D space thread is a moron, it's incredible.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Because they won't say aliens or what, are they still stuck on birds and weather phenomena, maybe inexplicably including theoretical astronomical phenomena

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

they should be reality-savvy, it’s always the most insane option that turns out to be true.

That’s how the truampp universe works

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Imo if the US armed forces come out going "whoa what are these things? Are they aliens or Chinese drones, nobody knows!"
Theyr definitely US drones

That's if there's anything there at all and it's not just psyops to make Americans even more deranged and confused

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Ufos originate from ALBANIA

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

:thunk: 2017

quote:

"We've been saying hypersonics is two years away for the last 20 years, but all I can say is the technology is mature and we, along with DARPA and the services, are working hard to get that capability into the hands of our warfighters as soon as possible," Rob Weiss, Lockheed Martin's executive vice president and general manager for Skunk Works, told Aviation Week.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/sr-72-darkstar-mach-6-spy-plane-we-arent-sure-real-184251

quote:

In 2017, Lockheed Martin had announced that the SR-72 would be in development by the early 2020s and could be in service by the early 2030s, but a year later it was announced that progress had been slow going based on the technological demands of the project.

:magemage: 2 days ago

https://www.defensenews.com/training-sim/2021/05/27/us-navy-conducts-first-live-fire-test-of-hypersonic-missile-motor/

and thats what theyre telling us, so obviously they've got hypersonic drones buzzing around

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's trumps hydrosonic missiles

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

is it silent?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

i think i walked in on a discussion of like....metaphysics? D&D's always been like a junior in college talking way too much about a class they took

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

i think i walked in on a discussion of like....metaphysics? D&D's always been like a junior in college talking way too much about a class they took
I understand the deviation into metaphysics because at the mo' UFOs=aliens occupies the same epistemological space as a gxd of the gaps. I mean, its most likely a hypersonic missile or a lovely infocampaign to camouflages similar tech.

there is a bit of an online belief vortex right now, mostly based on hashtag ufotwitter, that preys online ppls inate wish for novelty and alien sightings. and there is a faction of posters who seem to get incredulous when its implied its impossible for the uaps to be possibly aliens because its literally an unfalsifiable position at this stage.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Russia, the USA and probably China and some allied nations have functioning hypersonic armaments. Trump basically admitted that's what the USA used to kill that Iranian general last year.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

i am harry posted:

is it silent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ESPCQgDok

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Hypersonic is whatever

The hovering and stopping on a dime ans poo poo though, and submerging

I mean, gently caress, how can the bureaucracy that did f22 make that poo poo

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

why is hypersonic important

ooh you can go really fast, who cares

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
yeah being able to accelerate to hypersonic speeds is one thing but manouvering and turning on a dime at those speeds is a whole nother ballgame

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

china has publicly had hypersonic missiles for a minute and my oh my has that driven spending and research

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/aynrandy/status/1398862722163372034?s=21

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

wish *i* could go down to the pub and have pints with me alien lads

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

hypersonic poo poo is just like our current poo poo but faster, it's not magical turn on a dime and go underwater stuff. It doesn't even match some of the reported speeds of these things.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Can confirm, RE: phones can't record anything in the sky for poo poo.

I had the presence of mind to try and record when I saw them over north central texas, and all i got was some grainy out of focus footage of some dots of light moving. I showed my dad, assuming his conspiratorial mind would take it on faith i wasn't full of poo poo, but I never bothered preserving it or showing anyone else because I knew this dogshit footage was nothing more than a lovely facsimile of what I witnessed, and didn't have enough information to convince a skeptic, which is like the only reason to record that poo poo in my eyes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Log082 posted:

hypersonic poo poo is just like our current poo poo but faster, it's not magical turn on a dime and go underwater stuff. It doesn't even match some of the reported speeds of these things.

the part that really gets me is hovering silently then zipping off at high speed. i mean, if Lockheed announced tomorrow that they have something that can do it, I wouldn't bat an eye, but there's plenty of evidence that there's been something out there for decades that can do it and it's still somehow a secret.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah I don't really get how anything other than aliens matches the possibly enormous window of time people have seen these

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah I don't really get how anything other than aliens matches the possibly enormous window of time people have seen these

you forgot time travel

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

How so? UFOs have been reported since the end of World War II in the United States. There were airplanes then. Experimental jet airplanes, even.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How so? UFOs have been reported since the end of World War II in the United States. There were airplanes then. Experimental jet airplanes, even.

I mean fitting the description of what we're deciding is real now, these weird tic tacs ping ponging around at crazy speeds

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
That's the thing, right?

You've got the same descriptions over the course of decades from multiple air forces, civilians, types of aircraft, cameras, infrared, flight radar, ground radar, ship radar, visual contact, etc.

Occam's Razor comes into play at some point here imo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

a pet theory i have is that it was some kind of soviet technology that requires some insane quantity of extremely rare materials that prevented mass production. the us military got their hands on prototypes during the dissolution of the soviet union, or maybe earlier, but without the scientists who understood the theoretical framework that made it work, as they either bought it from some admiral or submarine captain who just happened to have physical possession of it at the time or grabbed it after it crashed. in this theory, they've been using "aliens" as a convenient cover to avoid giving it back like whenever some eastern bloc pilot would defect during the cold war with whatever newest mig they'd been flying that day.

it's the only real explanation i can come up with that isn't "something from somewhere else"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my newest hypothesis is that all of this is because those baby witches hexed the moon back in july and the moon monsters have finally risen from their aeons-old slumber

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Inspector Hound posted:

I mean fitting the description of what we're deciding is real now, these weird tic tacs ping ponging around at crazy speeds

lol why would you EVER think aliens?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

It’s either aliens or swamp gas reflections the light of Venus

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm really hoping it's not high tech fish people because if it is they're probably more than a little irritated at us

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

you didn't think they actually spent $1.7trillion on the f-35 did you?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

blatman posted:

my newest hypothesis is that all of this is because those baby witches hexed the moon back in july and the moon monsters have finally risen from their aeons-old slumber

This probably isn’t the forum for it, but I want to ask anyway: why did astrology become so popular with people on the left my age and younger? I understand it as an aesthetic and a protest to instrumental rationality, but it seems like people really believe it and have for a while.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

There's stuff at least as far back as the 1800s that credibly fits the model of modern UFO reports. Even much earlier, depending on how much you want to stretch things. It's just that the 19th/20th century was really the first time that people decided to start thinking that weird poo poo in the sky was aliens.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This probably isn’t the forum for it, but I want to ask anyway: why did astrology become so popular with people on the left my age and younger? I understand it as an aesthetic and a protest to instrumental rationality, but it seems like people really believe it and have for a while.

the same reason people like religion. astrology is popular with young leftists because other spiritualties are less in vogue.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i think it's a logical next step for the big section of millenials and younger who described themselves as "spiritual but not religious". essentially, they perceive mystical / paranormal / religious things to be happening but have mainstream organized religion so they lack that framework under which older generations would have placed it. going in for astrology and/or other kinds of witchy / folky / wiccany beliefs gives a framework in which to organize what they already believe to be happening.

and as trite as it may be to say in the ufo thread, people really do want to believe. it gives a lot of psychological comfort to have a coherent framework through which to process our chaotic and unpredictable world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't know how old you are but as an early-30s goon I can confirm that a lot of my peers got hard into that stuff, my best guess is that it lets people lie to themselves about having some semblance of control over their lives in an uncaring, harsh universe

like if I could convince myself that reading the stars would tell me what my future holds i'd be out there fuckin' star charts all night every night

edit: guy above me did it better