Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I got this deck from Reddit about a week ago and been having fun and success with it. Strangely not seen it on hsreplay despite having a pretty good win rate myself.

### Custom Druid2
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (1) Resizing Pouch
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 1x (6) Forest Warden Omu
# 2x (7) Umbral Owl
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
# 1x (9) Malygos the Spellweaver
# 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
# 1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate
#
AAECAbSKAwaj0QOd2AP76APn8AO0igS1igQM6LoDm84D8NQDieADiuADleADpOED0eEDjOQDj+QDlugDrp8EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I have had a lot of wins from cheating out things like omu +double cenarion wards as early as turn 6. Got some interesting decisions around when to use your extra mana cards for max tempo, and resizing pouch can be used for early game tempo, playing on curve (like a poor man's zephrys), or late game finishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

GTO posted:

I got this deck from Reddit about a week ago and been having fun and success with it. Strangely not seen it on hsreplay despite having a pretty good win rate myself.

### Custom Druid2
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (1) Resizing Pouch
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 1x (6) Forest Warden Omu
# 2x (7) Umbral Owl
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
# 1x (9) Malygos the Spellweaver
# 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
# 1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate
#
AAECAbSKAwaj0QOd2AP76APn8AO0igS1igQM6LoDm84D8NQDieADiuADleADpOED0eEDjOQDj+QDlugDrp8EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I have had a lot of wins from cheating out things like omu +double cenarion wards as early as turn 6. Got some interesting decisions around when to use your extra mana cards for max tempo, and resizing pouch can be used for early game tempo, playing on curve (like a poor man's zephrys), or late game finishers.

This list reminds me a lot of the Highlander Druid list that was going around right before rotation which I had a ton of fun with. I’m going to have to try it because after losing 4 out of 5 games with Clown druid it just is not for me.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GTO posted:

Strangely not seen it on hsreplay despite

This is a Jambre deck, titled "Owl Druid". As with all Jambre decks, use with caution as often it's difficult to tell if it's just a meme, or a deck designed for exactly Jambre to succeed with and loses when anyone else tries to play it, or if it's a legit good idea.

Better yet, just wait, because the miniset is opening some Druid deck design space with the beast and Anacondra, combined with previously trash Living Seed, applied in some combination to this Owl Druid core.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This is a Jambre deck, titled "Owl Druid". As with all Jambre decks, use with caution as often it's difficult to tell if it's just a meme, or a deck designed for exactly Jambre to succeed with and loses when anyone else tries to play it, or if it's a legit good idea.

Better yet, just wait, because the miniset is opening some Druid deck design space with the beast and Anacondra, combined with previously trash Living Seed, applied in some combination to this Owl Druid core.

Having played with it it’s not super great, but it’s a lot of fun. Highlights include going to fatigue with a control warrior when we both had 20+ armor and 25 health (I conceded, I had no more threats) and a game against a shaman where Yogg cast Survival of the fittest and he died to angry Mankrik after playing Malygos.

I didn’t even think of the Mankrik->Malygos interaction but I loved it lol

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
a lot of people (inc. myself) were saying 9-mana n'zoth was pointless, but he seems to be popping up pretty frequently in Grandmasters

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

peer posted:

a lot of people (inc. myself) were saying 9-mana n'zoth was pointless, but he seems to be popping up pretty frequently in Grandmasters

I'm honestly not really sure why either. It makes sense for DH to run him, because he brings back that 8/8 Demon with a spare mana for the Attack, but I don't get what Paladin/Priest and a few others are getting out of N'zoth now that they weren't before.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just being able to get it out a turn earlier helps a lot, though it's possible it was a decent play at 10 mana anyway, but people weren't willing to experiment with it because it was perceived as a bad card.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm honestly not really sure why either. It makes sense for DH to run him, because he brings back that 8/8 Demon with a spare mana for the Attack, but I don't get what Paladin/Priest and a few others are getting out of N'zoth now that they weren't before.

I wouldn't know the turn WR but maybe it's as simple as, coming out a turn earlier makes it a good finisher.

That or the Broom interaction is super strong.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

peer posted:

Not pointless, but lazy. Part of the flavor of old gods was supposed to be a huge 10-mana impact.

sirtommygunn posted:

Just being able to get it out a turn earlier helps a lot, though it's possible it was a decent play at 10 mana anyway, but people weren't willing to experiment with it because it was perceived as a bad card.

It was experimented enough to be found not good enough in the previous meta. This is pretty much the case for every old god.

Conversely, think of it like this: If any of the other three old gods were buffed to 9 mana, how much more play do you think they would see now? All of them would see more play.

Turn 9 vs Turn 10 is the big difference yes, and the added flexibility to do Broom or DH Hero Power is what pushes the buff over the edge into playability.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah being able to nzoth > Inquisitor someone's face is worth something.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I've had an awful week with Warlock matchups. It isn't the Tickatus that feels bad, it's all the healing. I had a game a few days ago where I lost because I (as face hunter) could only do 56 damage instead of an even 60...by turn 9. Had a game today where I put them at 5 with a swing of the 5 damage Libram remaining; they beat me in fatigue at full health. Giving Warlock removal that also heals, and well-statted minions that stuff their deck with free healing, makes every match a slog. /rant

I also crafted Samuro this week, so I'm pretty sure he'll be out of the meta until he rotates to wild. Wailing Caverns cards look fun though, can't wait to see how Miracle Druid performs. I really enjoy this dumb game.

fanny packrat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 30, 2021

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Not pointless, but lazy. Part of the flavor of old gods was supposed to be a huge 10-mana impact.

It was experimented enough to be found not good enough in the previous meta. This is pretty much the case for every old god.

Conversely, think of it like this: If any of the other three old gods were buffed to 9 mana, how much more play do you think they would see now? All of them would see more play.

Turn 9 vs Turn 10 is the big difference yes, and the added flexibility to do Broom or DH Hero Power is what pushes the buff over the edge into playability.

People keep using this as a bad thing against the 9 mana buff, but I find it really odd.
10 is an arbitary number that they assigned the first old god as it is the highest normal mana cost you can get for a card and just happened to keep that tradition. I can't find anywhere where the developers have stated that 10 mana is an absolute rule that cannot be broken.
If the original old gods had been at 9, would you be up in arms if there was an old god at 10 or 8?
The game evolves, things change. What was once true is no longer a thing.
Who say all old gods need to be the same power level as each other?
They decided it was under performing and it needed a buff. What you call "lazy" is what I call pragmatic - where else could they have buffed the card without redesigning it? Maybe give the minions +1 health or something, but that might be pushing it into too good?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Stay 10 mana, summon them with rush :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

People keep using this as a bad thing against the 9 mana buff, but I find it really odd.
10 is an arbitary number that they assigned the first old god as it is the highest normal mana cost you can get for a card and just happened to keep that tradition. I can't find anywhere where the developers have stated that 10 mana is an absolute rule that cannot be broken.
If the original old gods had been at 9, would you be up in arms if there was an old god at 10 or 8?
The game evolves, things change. What was once true is no longer a thing.
Who say all old gods need to be the same power level as each other?
They decided it was under performing and it needed a buff. What you call "lazy" is what I call pragmatic - where else could they have buffed the card without redesigning it? Maybe give the minions +1 health or something, but that might be pushing it into too good?

Apologies if you've never heard the word "flavor" used in this context, or know what the word "flavor" means with respect to card game design, but I think you really didn't need to write all of this.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I guess the point is they should make them stronger, not cheaper.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also there's a card explicitly designed to draw the Old Gods in wild that draws a 10 mana monster, you got them for free with Whispers if I remember correctly?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Flavour is fun and adds a lot to the vibe but led to getting caught up in ridiculous "soul of the card" dead ends in the past. Arguing that flavour should ever influence balance or fun is silly, flavour should be moulded to work around the game mechanics.

The obsession with flavour in the past is what caused the game to stagnate over a period of many sets as there was seemingly an allergy to properly balancing the game, which ultimately manifested with almost all cards being released too weak and things like Patches slipping through and destroying balance. Patches, 2 years unnerfed because of flavour. Dumb as heck.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's me, I'm the guy who dusted his never-used N'zoth right before the buff was announced :(

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Flavor is mostly in the metagame anyway: art, flavor text (duh) and card names or themes. If you can have some of it in mechanics that's great but it should never come before balance.

While number adjustments might be "lazy" they tend to be the most elegant solutions. As a game designer myself I often see suggestions that would be overtly complicated, clutter the cards with text or swing the balance in the opposite direction. Sometimes they wouldn't even be feasible.

The upcoming Mutanus is a good example. The mechanic itself is very flavorful and the "eat a minion" is self explanatory even though it is not a keyword or existing mechanic. If for some reason it turned out to be OP it would be easier to increase its cost rather than changing it to something entirely different or adding unnecessary conditions.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Now make new'thun's bodyparts cast on draw, you cowards.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Flayer posted:

Flavour is fun and adds a lot to the vibe but led to getting caught up in ridiculous "soul of the card" dead ends in the past. Arguing that flavour should ever influence balance or fun is silly, flavour should be moulded to work around the game mechanics.

The obsession with flavour in the past is what caused the game to stagnate over a period of many sets as there was seemingly an allergy to properly balancing the game, which ultimately manifested with almost all cards being released too weak and things like Patches slipping through and destroying balance. Patches, 2 years unnerfed because of flavour. Dumb as heck.

pretty sure patches was unnerfed for 2 years not because of flavor, but because at that time the devs resisted doing nerfs ever for any reason and especially didn't want to admit that they were wrong.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Chernabog posted:

Flavor is mostly in the metagame anyway: art, flavor text (duh) and card names or themes. If you can have some of it in mechanics that's great but it should never come before balance.

While number adjustments might be "lazy" they tend to be the most elegant solutions. As a game designer myself I often see suggestions that would be overtly complicated, clutter the cards with text or swing the balance in the opposite direction. Sometimes they wouldn't even be feasible.

The upcoming Mutanus is a good example. The mechanic itself is very flavorful and the "eat a minion" is self explanatory even though it is not a keyword or existing mechanic. If for some reason it turned out to be OP it would be easier to increase its cost rather than changing it to something entirely different or adding unnecessary conditions.

:goonsay: actually, eat is not a new mechanic, Gral, the Shark, was the first minion to eat cards!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Right, forgot about that card. But the point still stands regarding the flavor and mechanic.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Just lost to a discovered Mordresh in Arena, that's a new one.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Chernabog posted:

See, this guy gets it (but spells flavour wrong, but I'll let that slide :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr Beens posted:

See, this guy gets it (but spells flavour wrong, but I'll let that slide :)

The u does what now? :)

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Stay 10 mana, summon them with rush :v:

Given how well it works with Broom, this probably would have been a good change too

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Chernabog posted:

Mostly, but there is some overlap with game mechanics. Like even defining what makes a card "feel" like a Hunter card vs Druid card vs etc. is flavor that will always overlap with game mechanics.

Changing the mana cost of N'Zoth is literally the exact opposite of elegant. It was a brute force hamfisted fix. Pure functionality at the cost of style. For game designers, it was the easy fix. It's a fix I would have implemented myself if left to my own selfish devices, because I am not a game developer I am a competitive player and honestly I care so little about game flavor and I just want a functional in-game experience for competitive play. So it's :psyduck: that I'm the one that has to defend this position, because I can at least recognize that certain things should be done to keep the game healthy and at the very least can empathize with the game dev position.

There were many other possible solutions that could have been a better compromise between the style and the game mechanic balance. Armchair game devs across the Internet gave their speculations. And there is an example of this literally in the same patch: Crabrider.

The answer to why they didn't for N'Zoth's case unfortunately requires information from their development, balance, and testing black box that is not visible to the public. So I give them some benefit of the doubt, and say they went with this because of various logistical issues, whether it was time pressure or software coding issues, rather than any incompetence or worse, but ultimately this means an easy solution was chosen over a more appropriate harder solution, so without any inside details this is generically described from the outside as lazy.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Mostly, but there is some overlap with game mechanics. Like even defining what makes a card "feel" like a Hunter card vs Druid card vs etc. is flavor that will always overlap with game mechanics.
No arguments here.

quote:

Changing the mana cost of N'Zoth is literally the exact opposite of elegant. It was a brute force hamfisted fix. Pure functionality at the cost of style. For game designers, it was the easy fix. It's a fix I would have implemented myself if left to my own selfish devices, because I am not a game developer I am a competitive player and honestly I care so little about game flavor and I just want a functional in-game experience for competitive play. So it's :psyduck: that I'm the one that has to defend this position, because I can at least recognize that certain things should be done to keep the game healthy and at the very least can empathize with the game dev position.

There were many other possible solutions that could have been a better compromise between the style and the game mechanic balance. Armchair game devs across the Internet gave their speculations. And there is an example of this literally in the same patch: Crabrider.

The answer to why they didn't for N'Zoth's case unfortunately requires information from their development, balance, and testing black box that is not visible to the public. So I give them some benefit of the doubt, and say they went with this because of various logistical issues, whether it was time pressure or software coding issues, rather than any incompetence or worse, but ultimately this means an easy solution was chosen over a more appropriate harder solution, so without any inside details this is generically described from the outside as lazy.

I think this really depends on what your goal is and who you ask. For me game design is always king with very few exceptions so in this case it works as intended (as a buff) and remains as almost the exact same card so it is good. Then you have other times when they try to maintain the "soul of the card" and end up with a meme such as Warsong commander.

Another thing worth noting is that maybe something such as "giving all summoned minions rush" may sound simple but at a company like Blizzard it probably needs to go through a bunch of people and requires more work and coordination. Not only that, but it could even become a problem if it later turns out to be OP, like if there was an unintended OTK in there. The joke is that Blizzard is a "small indie company" but it might actually be easier for an indie to just change it quickly and see how it works out.
With something like crabrider you don't have that problem, first because it is a nerf so at worst it just ends up being bad, and second because it is a simpler effect which is much easier to anticipate.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Chernabog posted:

No arguments here.
I think this really depends on what your goal is and who you ask. For me game design is always king with very few exceptions so in this case it works as intended (as a buff) and remains as almost the exact same card so it is good. Then you have other times when they try to maintain the "soul of the card" and end up with a meme such as Warsong commander.

Another thing worth noting is that maybe something such as "giving all summoned minions rush" may sound simple but at a company like Blizzard it probably needs to go through a bunch of people and requires more work and coordination. Not only that, but it could even become a problem if it later turns out to be OP, like if there was an unintended OTK in there. The joke is that Blizzard is a "small indie company" but it might actually be easier for an indie to just change it quickly and see how it works out.
With something like crabrider you don't have that problem, first because it is a nerf so at worst it just ends up being bad, and second because it is a simpler effect which is much easier to anticipate.

All fair, I gotcha.

And to further support, if I were better at twitter I'd find the quotes from the devs admitting that designing 10 mana cards was extremely difficult because of all these things you've mentioned and more, and why nerfing is so much safer than buffing.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
One thing i do like with Wild is how once - weak cards can get a new lease of life. I've been having great fun with Spirit of the Rhino in rush warrior. It works sickeningly well with Rokora and Parade Leader plays. Actually works with a minimal Galakrond package too!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't one of the more complained about magic card one that was a card that a bunch of number 5s all over the card and a single overlaying 6?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

I pretty much agree with you here, but your original post didn't give them the benefit of the doubt to any of this, you literally called them lazy, which is what I was railing against. Calling something lazy with no context is lazy criticism.

Also did you need to type all that? :rolleyes:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Shwqa posted:

Wasn't one of the more complained about magic card one that was a card that a bunch of number 5s all over the card and a single overlaying 6?
I'm guessing you mean this one?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

I'm guessing you mean this one?

Ah yeah that is the one. I don't know where I got 5 from.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

So I’m making the final push to legend. I seem to be running into different versions of paladins, a few hunters, and apriest here and there. What can I do to counter these paladin decks?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Play a super controlling Priest or go the complete opposite direction and play a fast Hunter. Or join the crowd and play Paladin yourself. I've gone from 8k legend to 3k legend playing the N'zoth version.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Love these mid game turns against paladin. My spell get countered and I buff a paladin minion, my 3 attack minion attacks and dies, a 3/4 taunt is spawned. Out tempo'd on MY turn lol.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Adregan posted:

So I’m making the final push to legend. I seem to be running into different versions of paladins, a few hunters, and apriest here and there. What can I do to counter these paladin decks?

Aside from just playing one of those three decks:

- Token Druid, which is favored vs Pally/Hunter, but matches vs Priest will be rough
- Rush Warrior, which is even more favored vs Pally/Hunter, but matches vs Priest will be rougher
- Deathrattle DH, but the list is not refined and you're on your own to figure out how to get the deck to work in your pocket meta, notably surviving Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Ok thanks for the responses. Got to love last day legend grind before the month end.