Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Has anyone else run into this property law issue:

Quitclaim deed, A quitclaims Blackacre unto B and/or C.

They use "and/or" for the drat language.

Does the /or get ignored? Does the deed fail? WTF? Is mine the only jurisdiction where this happens with maddening frequency?

B and/or C will surely resolve this amicably between themselves. No need to get a bunch of suits involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah have you ever considered just finding an agreement where everybody is happy? What is with this law bullshit you keep nagging about

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If you're the seller, absent written instructions from B and C, I would act as if the property should be transferred to B and C jointly and if asked say that the "/or" is simply a right for the buyers to agree on a different distribution.

Big lol at that language making it past drafting, though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Abugadu posted:

Does the /or get ignored? Does the deed fail? WTF? Is mine the only jurisdiction where this happens with maddening frequency?
I had an "and/or" in a patent claim. I know there is a UCC rule or something that a check written to X and/or Y can be endorsed by either..

I know bryan garner says something like "only an idiot would use a virgule in legal writing"

Here, does a conveyance to "A or B" even make sense? I think it would have to be interpreted as "and"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

My first thought is that you don't have a grant; if the granting language doesn't make a clear and definite grantee, then nothing at all happened.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I can't say I've seen that specific issue (and/or in the granting clause) but I have seen stuff like, "to my brother" when there's two brothers, and other language that resulted in a failed grant because it didn't identify the grantee, or the real property with sufficient specificity.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
What if one of C and B is dead?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Should just go to their estate.

I’m not w either side, I’m advising our registrar in a Torrens system jurisdiction on whether or not to accept the deed for filing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ugh, were just transferring real estate. Why use twelve words when seven will probably get the job done? Let's bill for the time we saved anyway and go out for drinks!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Abugadu posted:

I would think so.

Abugadu posted:

I’m not w either side, I’m advising our registrar in a Torrens system jurisdiction on whether or not to accept the deed for filing.

I think all you can do is research it and see. Search tags like, ("multiple" or "two" or "indefinite" or "and/or") w/5 "grantee"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

Its Texas so its not super helpful, but I've been through several permutations of "conveyance" and ("and/or" /20 "grantee") and "ambiguous" and cannot find a case that ever deals with an "and/or" in the grant.

I quizzed a smarter attorney than me and he has the opposite view - the "and" creates an undivided 1/2 interest, and the "or" fails, whereas my instinct is that the grant fails because its not ambiguous - its not subject to multiple interpretations because you can't read it as definitively saying anything because it says both "to Bob and Bill" and also says, "Just to Bill" and you can't read it as saying one or the other because it says both.

Tough one!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The closest I could find was a fishing easement:

quote:

The Grantee hereby agrees that, when said Lake is completed, the Grantors together with their children living or visiting with them (except W. R., J.C. and Noah Freeman) are hereby given the right to go upon the waters covering the above land and fish therein...

“[T]he Grantors together with their children living or visiting with them ... are hereby given the right to go upon the waters ... and fish therein ... [and] a right of way ... for the purpose of anchoring a boat ...” (emphasis added).

The trial court determined that the living or visiting with language could be separated from the conjunctive or and constitute two separate phrases with two separate meanings. According to this construction, the children must be living or visiting with the grantors. In other words, because the qualifying words with them only appear after the word visiting and not after the word living, the children only must be living to claim the fishing and recreational rights.

This interpretation is fundamentally flawed. First, it is clearly inconsistent with the requirement that, when construing a conveyance, we give effect to all parts and construe the document as a whole. See Plainsman Trading Co. v. Crews, 898 S.W.2d 786, 789 (Tex.1995). Second, it misconstrues what the conjunction or means. The word or is used to connect words, phrases, or clauses representing alternatives. RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1360 (2d ed.1987). Simply put, the drafter of the living or visiting with language chose to include the word or as a way to connect the pronoun them with alternative adjectives living and visiting. Thus, instead of saying living with them or visiting with them, the drafter chose to make use of the commonly applied conjunction or to state the same proposition.

Consequently, the language used in the two 1948 deeds is clear, and because it is capable of only one meaning, as a matter of law it is not ambiguous.

The interpretation there is just the word "or" by itself, and again the Court finds that because the word "or" means that both parties qualify for the interest, there is no conflicting provision that creates a conflict between who the grantee might be, which I would read to mean, by implication, that if such a conflict arose to make it impossible to determine who the grantee was, then the conveyance would at least be ambiguous, and subject to parole evidence.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

blarzgh posted:

I would think so.
I think all you can do is research it and see. Search tags like, ("multiple" or "two" or "indefinite" or "and/or") w/5 "grantee"

"virgule"!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Don't know jurisdiction or case law, but absent a clear controlling case, judge is gonna go with easiest legal outcome and say conveyance failed.

Cynicism on forums: .02 hours.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

This is highly dependant in Norway. Estates can't always claim unexpedited rights such as transfer of realestate, but might provide a transferrable right to ownership. Actual ownership and right to registered title is distinct and counted separately for eligibility and limitations etc. For some stupid reason.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is highly dependant in Norway. Estates can't always claim unexpedited rights such as transfer of realestate, but might provide a transferrable right to ownership. Actual ownership and right to registered title is distinct and counted separately for eligibility and limitations etc. For some stupid reason.

Yeah, and Abugadu is on some island nation I think. Or maybe thats Tokelu All Star?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Guam or something, right?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Conveyance failed would be such a perversion of intent though, if it meant that neither B nor C ended up with any interest.

Like if the conveyance failed, and D ended up with everything, that would be a manifest perversion of the intent of the grant, because it is clear that the grantor intended something to at least one of B or C.

My (very vague) recollection is that courts will usually treat and/or language like this to mean "and". But I don't have any case law on hand to back that up.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, and Abugadu is on some island nation I think. Or maybe thats Tokelu All Star?

Abugadu is CNMI, I'm from HI but I've been suffering in the Midwest for a couple years now.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
In patent law the USPTO interprets A And/or B to be equivalent to A or B or A and B. It also would be more efficient to write "at least one of A and B". In this context of a conveyance that doesn't have further qualifier like "whoever is surviving" I don't think this interpretation makes much sense.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it should be a bannable offense to make me read property hypotheticals

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

'm from HI but I've been suffering in the Midwest for a couple years now.

OH NO

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is the Midwest what Hawaiians call the mainland?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Unfortunately in this case it's the actual Midwest, but it's almost over, my partner is finishing her residency this summer and we're getting tfoh and jetting back.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Soothing Vapors posted:

Law Megathread: Get out of here with that Blackacre poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tokelau All Star posted:

Abugadu is CNMI, I'm from HI but I've been suffering in the Midwest for a couple years now.

i always feel bad meeting hawaiians who are now in chicago. was talking to one in mid october who said 'gosh it sure is cold, but luckily i think it can't get any worse than this (it was like 55 F)' and everyone was screaming at her about getting a real jacket

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 28, 2021

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Really regretting those episodes in which we did blackacre

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
How can I take adverse possession of fish’s cabin? I don’t speak Bork Bork Borkese.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

Buddy you're going backwards

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

How can I take adverse possession of fish’s cabin? I don’t speak Bork Bork Borkese.

First step would be to become a lawyer

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I was in Hawaii last year. I live in Minnesota.

I have no idea why you would ever leave that state for anything in the Midwest, even on a fairly temporary basis

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SlyFrog posted:

I have no idea why you would ever leave that state for anything in the Midwest, even on a fairly temporary basis

Not just the midwest, michigan IIRC. Warmer than MN in the winter but hope you enjoy not seeing the sun.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

My last year of undergrad in Chicago one of my roommates was from Hawaii, and then my stepsister's wife, who also lived in Chicago, was native Hawaiian. Chicago was bad enough for me being Texan, just knowing when it snowed in October that was it for the next six months, I have no idea how they handled it...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toona the Cat posted:

Oh it'll be adverse alright. Bring your good knife.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

First step would be to become a lawyer

I passed the bar 2 years ago

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh it'll be adverse alright. Bring your good knife.

I’ll bring my bris knife.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Kind of a weird question but I'm doing some research and need a real world example of how a US judge would order a forensic audit done on the electronic devices of a big company (specifically, Google). Does anyone have any precedent or articles I could look up?

The specific scenario is that some time ago the Wikipedia article (and other content that got SEOd to the top) for a local notable person got edited to say some defamatory stuff and Google's information sidebar automatically updated to reflect that info, so for a few hours if you Googled that person it would say something like "Jane Doe - C.E.Hoe of Bitch, Inc.", and now Jane Doe is suing Google for defamation, and as part of the suit has asked for a forensic audit to be conducted Google's servers to determine stuff like how many people saw the sidebar, the sources Google used, it's vetting process, etc.

I'm not counsel for either party, obviously, I'm just writing up a short blog post about it and was hoping to find some background on how an audit like that might even take place in a real country since the local judge clearly has absolutely no idea how to handle this.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

It should be a bannable offense to make me have to read SV's posts

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Also mods: please change my name to Jane Doe - C.E.Hoe of Bitch, Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SlyFrog posted:

Some people go crazy being “stuck” on an island.

Those people are obviously dumb.