Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Vivid Knight is extremely compelling. There's a bit of an easy start where the first few dungeons are a sort of an extended tutorial, but then the game kicks into gear and really makes you use all the mechanics available. There are a LOT of buffs and keywords and jargon to keep track of, but the tooltip UI is well implemented and it's pretty quick to find any information you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, I bought FITS, and let this woman who has stayed up until 10 AM punching mobsters and ninjas tell you:

It good.

One of the Steam reviews describes it as a cross between Into the Breach and Slay the Spire, and that feels more apt than you might think as just a vague genre description. The real core mechanics of the game are energy economy, damage mitigation, and trying to decide whether a card you might want to take is actually good and will improve your deck, or just nifty and a fun idea. I've come very close to winning with the block-and-counter deck a couple times, but I really, really like the draft mode. It makes you consider cards you might've otherwise overlooked. And the enemy variety and optional combat objectives provide a nice incentive to keep your build flexible enough that you aren't completely boned if, say, an enemy who ignores Block comes at you with a shiv. It's an extremely well put-together game, even with the placeholder art on some of the cards.

But oh my God, for the love of all that is holy and for the sake of your poor, dear eyes, turn on Dark Mode.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2021

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Agreed on pretty much all points, though I haven’t gotten a chance to check out the latest update and its draft mode.

My biggest complaint is that the overall campaign feels a bit too long. Either each stage could stand to be shorter (maybe cutting one individual encounter each) or they could cut one stage entirely (making the faction lineup more random each run). But yeah, good game is good.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
God drat it why is everything deckbuilders now? :negative:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

packetmantis posted:

God drat it why is everything deckbuilders now? :negative:
Imagine it has something to do with them being easier to make for small studios.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
It's popular with people who buy indie games, cuts way down on how much you need to balance your game since power variance in your drafts is a feature, and makes it really easy to prototype content because almost everything can be slotted in to like two classes (card and unit) and it won't even look that stupid because a card with programmer art still looks mostly done :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hell some of the beta art in slay is better than the final art

Jedit posted:

I do mind Epic, but it's OK - I'm patient.

Has anyone tried SNKRX? It's a take on Snake, except your snake is a party of adventurers who you can upgrade and add to between each of 25 waves. It's cheap and crude, but the idea interests me and I was wondering if anyone knew more.

heres 3.5 hours of gameplay if that helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bUcwAc25s

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cock hero flux posted:

I have no idea how you're supposed to kill the boss of Rift Wizard with a summoning build. He deletes all of them every 10 or so turns, teleports away from them if they near him, and if one actually manages to reach melee range he instakills it. It's miserable.

His teleport and the level shuffle both happen on a predictable clock, which you can see by mousing over him. He's also vulnerable to CC as of this patch -- he's briefly immune to debuffs after recovering from them (using exactly the same rules as the player) but they work normally otherwise.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does realm choice affect what shrines spawn? I'd assumed it was random.

What shrines spawn is random but you can check every portal to see what's in all the portals after that one, meaning every single level is, effectively, 4-16 chances of spawning the shrine you need. There aren't that many shrines and shrine levels themselves aren't that rare. You can also make the odds even better by saving up portal keys and portal disruptors for when you find a level that naturally has 4 rifts.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I beat him with a summoner by uhh casting ghost ball repeatedly and dark gazing him for like 250 damage a turn :v:
It was not really a light investment though, like 30 SP and a shrine that increased Dark Gaze's damage.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I know it ain't the game everyone's talking about right now but I've recently started dungeonmans and I'm trying to figure out some keybinds. The help menu doesn't seem to do anything? So if anyone knows if these exist and/or how to do them that'd be cool:

- Swap weapon sets? It looks like I can equip 2 different sets of weapons in the inventory but I don't know how to swap between them if I can. I also don't really know what the small inventory boxes are for yet but that'll probably show up
- Auto explore. Not sure if this exists but It'd be cool.

So far having a good time with it though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I know it ain't the game everyone's talking about right now but I've recently started dungeonmans and I'm trying to figure out some keybinds. The help menu doesn't seem to do anything? So if anyone knows if these exist and/or how to do them that'd be cool:

- Swap weapon sets? It looks like I can equip 2 different sets of weapons in the inventory but I don't know how to swap between them if I can. I also don't really know what the small inventory boxes are for yet but that'll probably show up
- Auto explore. Not sure if this exists but It'd be cool.

So far having a good time with it though

There's a key binds file somewhere in the profile folder, can't remember where exactly offhand

< and > path to stairs up/down iirc

Been thinking about dmans recently, the roguelite genre really hasn't been hitting that heroic fantasy feel for me

(plus the music man, the music)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Dmans doesn’t have auto explore.

Man I should play dmans again, what a fun romp

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

Has anyone tried SNKRX? It's a take on Snake, except your snake is a party of adventurers who you can upgrade and add to between each of 25 waves. It's cheap and crude, but the idea interests me and I was wondering if anyone knew more.

I wish I could say a whole lot of good things about it because it's a great concept and it's mechanically fun and only $3, but it really feels like it was designed by someone who is just not a gamer and doesn't understand how games operate, and as a result it's way too easy and awkward.

It uses dota autochess team building mechanics, but they're pretty much unworkable here because (a) there aren't other players removing units from the pool, (b) there's no 'level' system to weight rarer units as you get further, (c) there's no 'bench' to sit units in to take them out of the pool, so you end up just making a party of cheap low level units (which doesn't matter because the game is so easy) because a 3-star swordsman is way better than a 1-star doom warlock or whatever rare unit

Everything is cooldown-based and there are no other resources, and the game allows you to stall new waves so you can easily just heal to full between every wave, or let your summoners summon dozens of turrets/minions between waves.

Enemies spawn in big AoE clumps 100% of the time and coincidentally there's an entire class of unit that's designed around taking minimal damage while doing huge AoE damage in melee range and those units literally one-shot almost every enemy in the game

I won on my 2nd run and probably won't play it again but it was an interesting novelty for $3

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

I beat him with a summoner by uhh casting ghost ball repeatedly and dark gazing him for like 250 damage a turn :v:
It was not really a light investment though, like 30 SP and a shrine that increased Dark Gaze's damage.

Funny, just won a game 5 min ago with this exact build. It's a lot of fun. Final map took me 43 turns, 25 casts of death gaze for 4600 damage in total (i.e. 180 dmg/cast).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

dungeonmans help menu doesn't seem to do anything?
Just FYI, for some terrible reason the help menu spawns in a separate window underneath the main dmans game window. You need to alt-tab over to the "Mansual".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Got my first FITS win with the exact opposite of my previous strat. Hyper-offense, using positioning and stuns to avoid damage, Into the Breach-style. By the end, I'd actually taken every single Block card out of my deck.

I had a ton of close calls, but it was extremely fun, and made for great replays of the fights. My build really took off when I got the no max combo "relic". Led to some hilarious poo poo like doing 100+ damage with the wide sweep kick.

Edit: MVP of hyper-offense is probably Grapple, honestly, especially once upgraded to cost 0 energy.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 31, 2021

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

junethack time, just about!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Just FYI, for some terrible reason the help menu spawns in a separate window underneath the main dmans game window. You need to alt-tab over to the "Mansual".

Good to know!

I somehow just lost a character save though... I hit save and quit when I was done. Came back to it later but the save slot only lets me create a new hero in that world. Am I missing something? Is there a different place to continue your old characters?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Good to know!

I somehow just lost a character save though... I hit save and quit when I was done. Came back to it later but the save slot only lets me create a new hero in that world. Am I missing something? Is there a different place to continue your old characters?

That's weird. Check %appdata%\Dungeonmans and see if you have anything in your save# directories. The first slot corresponds to save0. I assume that's where you created your first mans.
e: you should have a worlds folder with a subfolder named after the world you created. Does that exist?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Been playing more Fights in Tight Spaces, and I’ve got a lot of thoughts about the mechanics, but first and foremost, I’ve come to the conclusion that block/counter builds are a trap. So many of the optional objectives are about winning quickly, or getting across the room, or protecting that drat VIP, and turtle decks are just too slow and noninteractive to do any of it reliably. So you end up squeaking by on the bare minimum of resources.

This is especially bad given that these optional objectives can give you more than just money or more HP, but also more energy. So you end up falling more and more behind the expected power curve until you just can’t keep up any more. And you do have to keep up, because Block scales incredibly poorly if you don’t go all in on it. There’s no reliable way to conserve it between turns, so you’re at the mercy of whatever you draw hopefully being enough. It just isn’t sustainable, especially not compared to just knocking the guy down, or stunning him, or even just getting out of the way.

Even dabbling in it is a trap, because sooner or later, those “gain 10 Block” cards are going to be dead draws.

That’s not to say there’s no build variety, there’s plenty, (I’m still hoping I can make a knockdown deck that works, if my card pulls would cooperate) but the game operates on the unspoken assumption that you’re going to be mobile and proactive, and the counter builds just aren’t capable of that. One of the starter decks being counter-focused makes a promise of viability that FITS doesn’t deliver on.

I’ve actually got a lot of thoughts on the starter decks vs. draft mode in general, too, but that’s a different ramble.

I don’t really know if there’s an easy fix for it, either. Even if you buff the power of Block cards into the stratosphere, that doesn’t change how passive they are. I basically completely avoid Block cards now, and I rarely find myself missing them. It’s just more effective and more fun to shove a guy over a railing then make a flying karate kick at his buddy across the room.

And it really is fun, don’t get me wrong. I’m going to lose a LOT of time to this game. It’s just that one of the main mechanics completely fails to deliver.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I know it's a sub-optimal strategy, but I can't help going all in on cards that swap places, or flip enemies around. It's just so satisfying to shove a guy into the way of a shotgun blast that ends up flipping him over a railing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I know it's a sub-optimal strategy, but I can't help going all in on cards that swap places, or flip enemies around. It's just so satisfying to shove a guy into the way of a shotgun blast that ends up flipping him over a railing.
Sub-optimal nothing, Upgraded Grapple is low-key the best card in the game.

Nothing is immune to it. It doesn’t count as an attack, so counterattack guys don’t hit you for using it. It isn’t technically a push or a grab, so heavy and immovable don’t stop it. It doesn’t even trigger an auto-turnaround on the guys that track you, so as long as you don’t move, they’ll keep facing away. And you can get into all sorts of trouble throwing one guy into another’s face.

The only weaknesses, if you can call them that, are that it does still trigger auto-attack (but you can even use that to your advantage), you can’t use it to directly throw guys out of the level (but that’s what Swift Kick is for!), and it’s “only” pretty good unupgraded. It needs to be upgraded to be 0 Energy to become the best card in the game.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 31, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

His teleport and the level shuffle both happen on a predictable clock, which you can see by mousing over him. He's also vulnerable to CC as of this patch -- he's briefly immune to debuffs after recovering from them (using exactly the same rules as the player) but they work normally otherwise.
Yeah, that's why they're not a problem for normal builds. But for summons it takes you a few turns to get your army rolling, and by that point he's ready to teleport away from them and then shuffle the map and delete them. You're pretty much forced to hope that he shuffles and then immediately teleports next to you so that you don't have to waste any time, and even then they still aren't great at actually killing him because of how strong his attacks are. It's especially brutal for Holy Summoning builds since those are mostly about self-sustaining armies which don't do amazing damage but are extremely tanky and heal each other, all of which is useless because they simply get dismissed every few turns.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A holy-based pure summoner is about the worst possible thing you could bring to Mordred and even then it's probably still doable with redeal skills/shrines to multiply your damage and saving up Golden Stopwatches. If I can do it with dogs, you can do it with an army of angels. :v:

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

PotatoManJack posted:

It looks pretty fun, but I'd be concerned about longevity. Could you see yourself putting more than a handful of hours into it?

I'm 15 hours in and I'm only just getting into the ascending difficulty and there's still a bunch of unlockables to go. The developers seem committed on building upon the game past release too. Definitely a lot of value for $15.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A holy-based pure summoner is about the worst possible thing you could bring to Mordred and even then it's probably still doable with redeal skills/shrines to multiply your damage and saving up Golden Stopwatches. If I can do it with dogs, you can do it with an army of angels. :v:

discovery: the vampire hunter trial actually makes playing a pure holy caster much easier because the first time you kill mordred he turns into a bat and the game instantly ends

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Look Sharp! posted:

I'm 15 hours in and I'm only just getting into the ascending difficulty and there's still a bunch of unlockables to go. The developers seem committed on building upon the game past release too. Definitely a lot of value for $15.

Yeah re: Vivid Knight there's a lot of poo poo to unlock. If anyone's curious as to how the meta progression stuff works, you have a currency that you gain across runs (with a hefty bonus the first time you complete any specific dungeon-- you usually get like 40-50 "gems" for a fresh run in a new dungeon) that you can use to buy new units, equipment, and spells that will show up in the pool for future runs, along with a few small passive bonuses. It costs 10 gems to unlock something, and each time you spend gems it randomly gives you a choice of 3 remaining things to unlock. Currently it looks like there are 78 unlockables in the pool. There's also at least one alternate character class available currently, but I'm not sure how you unlock that.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Been playing more Fights in Tight Spaces, and I’ve got a lot of thoughts about the mechanics, but first and foremost, I’ve come to the conclusion that block/counter builds are a trap. So many of the optional objectives are about winning quickly, or getting across the room, or protecting that drat VIP, and turtle decks are just too slow and noninteractive to do any of it reliably. So you end up squeaking by on the bare minimum of resources.

This is especially bad given that these optional objectives can give you more than just money or more HP, but also more energy. So you end up falling more and more behind the expected power curve until you just can’t keep up any more. And you do have to keep up, because Block scales incredibly poorly if you don’t go all in on it. There’s no reliable way to conserve it between turns, so you’re at the mercy of whatever you draw hopefully being enough. It just isn’t sustainable, especially not compared to just knocking the guy down, or stunning him, or even just getting out of the way.

Even dabbling in it is a trap, because sooner or later, those “gain 10 Block” cards are going to be dead draws.

That’s not to say there’s no build variety, there’s plenty, (I’m still hoping I can make a knockdown deck that works, if my card pulls would cooperate) but the game operates on the unspoken assumption that you’re going to be mobile and proactive, and the counter builds just aren’t capable of that. One of the starter decks being counter-focused makes a promise of viability that FITS doesn’t deliver on.

I’ve actually got a lot of thoughts on the starter decks vs. draft mode in general, too, but that’s a different ramble.

I don’t really know if there’s an easy fix for it, either. Even if you buff the power of Block cards into the stratosphere, that doesn’t change how passive they are. I basically completely avoid Block cards now, and I rarely find myself missing them. It’s just more effective and more fun to shove a guy over a railing then make a flying karate kick at his buddy across the room.

And it really is fun, don’t get me wrong. I’m going to lose a LOT of time to this game. It’s just that one of the main mechanics completely fails to deliver.

I didn't have a problem with being aggressive to get side objectives on counter-focused decks, you just have to actively push as many enemies into attacking you at once as you can afford. The problem I had that makes them a trap is the final chapter basically doubling everyone's attack power and making it nearly impossible to safely take a hit (or minimize damage) without spending twice as many block cards per enemy.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Oldstench posted:

That's weird. Check %appdata%\Dungeonmans and see if you have anything in your save# directories. The first slot corresponds to save0. I assume that's where you created your first mans.
e: you should have a worlds folder with a subfolder named after the world you created. Does that exist?

Thanks for this. I found my save. For some reason there were 2 different worlds inside the same save slot. One had my character and the other was new. I managed to move it over to another slot and it seemed to show back up.

I think it had something to do with the steam cloud save, since I tried deleting the bad world initially but it came back the moment I loaded up the game

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
This is bizarrely the strongest build I've made in Rift Wizard:

The damage there makes it seem like a wolf focused build but that's pretty much entirely because Mordred was throwing fire immune enemies at me most of the battle, most maps ended up looking like this:

The fight with Mordred was really stupid because I spent like 45 of those 67 turns on the opposite end of the map from him trying to tunnel through the fire-immune enemies with my wolves, and then finally got my build online when he shuffled the map in to one with longer sightlines and enemies I could actually use searing orb on. There was a 3 turn period near the end where my ghosts killed Mordred each turn, lmao.
I also probably dealt like 400 damage to myself over the course of the run because sometimes the easiest way to proc ghostfire was to just fireball myself.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anyone have thoughts of Full Mojo Rampage? I have it on my wishlist and it's on sale but have zero recollection about it, other than it being a coop roguelike which sounds interesting.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone have thoughts of Full Mojo Rampage? I have it on my wishlist and it's on sale but have zero recollection about it, other than it being a coop roguelike which sounds interesting.

Synthetik or Heroes of Hammerwatch are probably the better bets if you want a co-op roguelite. I don't remember anything about Full Mojo Rampage besides that I didn't like it at all though :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

I didn't have a problem with being aggressive to get side objectives on counter-focused decks, you just have to actively push as many enemies into attacking you at once as you can afford. The problem I had that makes them a trap is the final chapter basically doubling everyone's attack power and making it nearly impossible to safely take a hit (or minimize damage) without spending twice as many block cards per enemy.
That's another factor. Redirection just does turtling even better than turtling does because instead of needing to try to scale to keep up with the damage, you're using their own damage against them, so you automatically scale up, and can instead spend those upgrades on making your movement cheaper or your utility cards better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Putting my money where my mouth is, here's Vampire Hunter:

I cleaned up the win streak and total win achievements the other day, and now this makes 7/12 challenge mode runs. Six of them I just did with slight variations of a Steam Anima build but the ones that are left either explicitly disallow it or make it impractical.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I never played it coop, I remember liking it a fair bit but apparently not enough to be specific. I'm pretty sure I got it in a bundle or on some pretty deep sale though.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

junethack time, just about!

junethack has started officially. I made a clan and will invite people whenever if anyone else is playing

maybe this year will be the year of the slash'em ascension...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's... a game. A little slow, a little awkward- the best way I can think of to describe is is Slow Gauntlet by way of Rogue Legacy. And like RL, it's also a case of very, very metaprogression-focused game. It can be fun if you've got a group of bodies but you can probably just skip it unless you're really burning for a really grindy mediocre ARPG Roguelike.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

here is, in a nutshell, exactly what I hate about Rift Wizard's design

there is one enemy left on this level. It's being swamped by a few dozen summons and it's extremely weak. I am in absolutely no danger of dying or even taking any damage. But, I can't beat the level, because it's 100% resistant to Physical, Poison, and Darkness, which are the damage types I can actually hit it with. It literally takes 0 damage from everything that I have. If it kills 2 of my summons it will die to backlash Ice damage, but it's too weak to do that. If it sat there and die nothing but spam its ranged attack on one of my units it would kill it after 40ish turns, but it won't do that. It just hits random enemies and if they're too close it uses a melee attack which doesn't do enough damage to overcome their regen. I have mashed through hundreds of turns and it hasn't even managed to do it for 5 turns in a row. I can't kill it with consumables because there are only 3 that deal damage. One of them deals Physical, and one of them deals Dark, neither of which hurt it. The third one I didn't have. I also didn't have a Portal Key because this is like the third time this has happened this run. This situation comes up all the time because so many enemies have 100% immunities to damage types and there are so few ways of diversifying your damage types without purchasing new spells(which I can't do because this is an Archmage trial).

There's no skill I can take that will allow me to deal some other damage type to this thing(the only skill that could kill it costs 2 more SP than I have, and would be utterly useless outside of killing this one enemy.) So, there's nothing for me to do other than mash through thousands of turns and hope for the one in a million chance that it sits there and focuses down one of my units twice in a row. This game desperately needs some kind of sanity check that unlocks the portals after a million turns of nothing happening.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

You have 5 SP. Can't you just buy a cantrip that it isn't immune to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oldstench posted:

You have 5 SP. Can't you just buy a cantrip that it isn't immune to?

It's a Wolf-only archmage trial.