Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
From my shed thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiasmus
May 17, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

From my shed thread

Do you wear a Fitbit? I’m curious how many calories they burned

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Nope but I can tell you that your arms get a real workout as do your hands. And the sweat just pours off, I had to take breaks and rehydrate and eat something when my arms started trembling. Took to wearing leather work gloves after scuffing off the same area of skin on my thumb, three times in a row.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Calidus posted:

Quick sanity check, threaded steel inserts are best way to attach this butcher block to a metal desk frame right?

I watched a vid of some guy who makes a lot of big slab desks saying that he uses those with slotted bolt holes in the legs so the wood can expand and contract without tension or compression.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Wasabi the J posted:

I watched a vid of some guy who makes a lot of big slab desks saying that he uses those with slotted bolt holes in the legs so the wood can expand and contract without tension or compression.

Hopefully the temp and humidity in my house don’t change that drastically but it’s something I wouldn’t have thought about on my own.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Calidus posted:

Hopefully the temp and humidity in my house don’t change that drastically

If you don’t have humidity control, you might be surprised how much of a difference there is seasonally.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Even slightly oversized holes in the metal base is probably enough to give some room for seasonal movement. 1/4" bolt in a 3/8" hole is enough, unless the top is very wide. Also yes, threaded inserts are the way to go. Buy good ones, and buy ones meant for hardwood.

You want these. Usually called out as hardwood inserts, or knife edge. Ez-lok is a common manufacturer

and do not want these

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

If you don’t have humidity control, you might be surprised how much of a difference there is seasonally.

Rain is just 100%+ humidity

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Rain is just 100%+ humidity

My house is currently reading at 50%…in the winter, I’ve seen it as low as 12%. I need a humidifier. And probably a dehumidifier. :negative:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I drew up a design for a record cabinet a while ago, and cut all the pieces, and then got distracted and never came up with good joinery that would cover the plywood edges better than edge banding

Here's the design (I may not do that center divider)

my original plan was to rabbet everything but that's where the "oh right the edges" came into play. If I mitered the corners, even though it's plywood, I would need to reinforce them some way, right? If I had a spare grand laying around I'd just jam dominos in and call that idea good but I don't so that's right out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sockser posted:

I drew up a design for a record cabinet a while ago, and cut all the pieces, and then got distracted and never came up with good joinery that would cover the plywood edges better than edge banding

my original plan was to rabbet everything but that's where the "oh right the edges" came into play. If I mitered the corners, even though it's plywood, I would need to reinforce them some way, right? If I had a spare grand laying around I'd just jam dominos in and call that idea good but I don't so that's right out

I could be wrong but I think people use a splined miter for that application there

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sockser posted:

Face frame?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

A face frame wouldn't hide the sides, and it wouldn't reinforce the miters if I did it that way, either, but it was definitely in my thoughts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sockser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moh5sEidlU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQk_glgNAQk

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sockser posted:

A face frame wouldn't hide the sides, and it wouldn't reinforce the miters if I did it that way, either, but it was definitely in my thoughts

Lock miter?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Calidus posted:

Hopefully the temp and humidity in my house don’t change that drastically but it’s something I wouldn’t have thought about on my own.

I live in a desert and use evaporative cooling. The humidity in my house is all over the place. All the doors stick in the summer, but are fine in winter.

This is obviously an extreme, but it changes a lot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Found a tongue+groove + lock miter router bit set on amazon so I guess I'll play around with them and see how it goes

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bad Munki posted:

The first winter in my old house really emphasized how much humidity drops during the season and especially when heating with forced air. The hardwood floors and cabinetry I made developed gaps and the oak stairs I made started to squeak. I installed a humidifier in the furnace and kept dialing it up until all the wood in my place returned to normal.

I figured approximately 3-5 litres of water were being dispersed into the 1700sq ft a day at the optimal setting.

If you didn't do a full oil submersion or seal with something like epoxy, anything that you made will react to humidity changes.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Can wood movement from seasonal changes in indoor humidity break glue joints if you're using water-resistant glue? Where I am, humidity ranges from 15% - 100% seasonally (dry summers, wet winters). I ask because I'm about to assemble a table from a scrap of edge-grain butcher block countertop, and I'm debating whether to glue or pocket screw some of the parts.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm pretty sure the answer is yest, but I want to check ifs it's safe safe to cut a 4.25" radius in a 2" thick piece of wood using a bandsaw with a 3/16" wood blade.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
One of the joints in my dining table sounded like a gunshot when it sheared apart it's first winter. Thankfully it is not visible, but that was a shock.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bear in mind that your wood cares about absolute moisture, not rh, if you're working across temperature ranges

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Holy poo poo, good to know. Is this just an issue with glue joints that are more likely to see relative moment between the joined components (dissimilar woods, non-aligned grain orientations, etc.) or do you have to watch out for this in like panel glue-ups?

Bloody posted:

Bear in mind that your wood cares about absolute moisture, not rh, if you're working across temperature ranges

Oh wow. The difference between the usual swings we see here (95% at 58F indoors vs 12% at 100F indoors) is only a factor of 2.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Welp I have a lathe now. It needs a new belt, and it's missing the face plate wrench and knockout bar.

What tools should I start with? Are buying unhandled tools a crazy idea? (ie make the handles as a first project). I already own a slow speed grinder and wolverine jig. Not wholly opposed to carbide tools, but I'd like to learn the traditional tools.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is yest, but I want to check ifs it's safe safe to cut a 4.25" radius in a 2" thick piece of wood using a bandsaw with a 3/16" wood blade.

In principle, you can cut any thickness of wood with any size of bandsaw blade. The main things to be aware of are:

- The thinner the blade, the more easily it can deflect as it passes through the wood. In other words, you can get a cut that isn't straight up-and-down. So if you were resawing something then you'd want to use as wide of a blade as possible. I don't think that you'll see much deflection when cutting through a 2" piece, but then again, I've only ever tried to do straight cuts with that size of wood.
- The thinner the blade, the more slowly you have to go, because the smaller teeth can only clear so much sawdust out per pass.

Additionally, keep in mind that you don't have to do the entire cut in one smooth curve. One side of the cut should be waste wood (which side depends on if you're doing an inside or an outside curve). It's often useful to cut out a significant part of that waste wood without going anywhere near your cut line, then make multiple shorter passes that get closer to the line. Ultimately you may well want to get the final size by sanding, just because bandsaws often leave a lot of tool marks on the wood when making curved cuts.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

HolHorsejob posted:

Can wood movement from seasonal changes in indoor humidity break glue joints if you're using water-resistant glue? Where I am, humidity ranges from 15% - 100% seasonally (dry summers, wet winters). I ask because I'm about to assemble a table from a scrap of edge-grain butcher block countertop, and I'm debating whether to glue or pocket screw some of the parts.
Yes it can break glue joints, but usually the wood splits before the glue. Water resistance doesn't matter-it's not the humidity degrading the glue joint (although this can happen with hide glue). Unless you are gluing something cross grain, it's not usually a huge problem on stuff less than 18" wide or so. Things like pocket screws usually have enough wiggle room to allow for some movement IME. Species matters a ton, as does grain orientation. Flatsawn red oak might move 1/4" where quartered mahogany would move less than a sixteenth.
Here's a handy calculator: https://woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator/ It seems to work okay with wood MC (probably chanings from 4% when super dry to 16% when super wet-probably much less than that in both directions) but gives some funky numbers with relative humidity. That's all theoretical-in practice I've never seen stuff move more than about an 1/8". If you're starting with air dried wood, you may see more movement than kiln dried. Aso remember that wood changes MC fairly slowly and gradually. Sure one day the heater says it's 25% RH, but it rained yesterday and it snows next week and it's back to 75%-the wood doesn't instantly shrink, and finish (esp. film finishes) slow that movement down even more.

Don't glue things cross grain, and do worry about it on big table tops etc, but otherwise I've not had it be a huge problem.

GWBBQ posted:

Yes on the radius for sure. There are charts of blade width vs circle radius you can find online. 3/16" might be a little small to cut 2" stuff esp. if it's a hard wood, but probably fine if you take it slow and don't mind risking a broken blade.

NomNomNom posted:

Welp I have a lathe now. It needs a new belt, and it's missing the face plate wrench and knockout bar.

What tools should I start with? Are buying unhandled tools a crazy idea? (ie make the handles as a first project). I already own a slow speed grinder and wolverine jig. Not wholly opposed to carbide tools, but I'd like to learn the traditional tools.
What do you want to turn? Bowls use fairly different tools from spindles. I don't know much about bowl turning, but for spindle work, a skew, a roughing gouge, a spindle gouge, and a parting tool are the basics. 1/2" skew, 3/4"+ roughing gouge, 1/4" spindle gouge, and 1/4" diamond parting tool would be my starter set. A round nose scraper would be handy too, but you can grind them out of cheap harbor freight files if you are really cheap and moderately patient. You could maybe go bigger on the skew for planing cuts, but 1/2" is a good size for beading etc. I don't think you'll save a ton by buying unhandled stuff, and you need tools with handles to turn the handles for your tools without handles! Get HSS. Lathe tools aren't complicated, you can go cheap to start with, especially if you don't mind taking some time to break sharp edges etc. Rounding the narrow edges of a skew really helps. The 'Benjamins Best' stuff seems to be okay and at least decent steel.

This guy is pretty dorky and technical, but I've learned alot about grinding and lathe theory (lol) from his videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BHavensWoodworker
I didn't watch this but he has a 'tools for beginners' video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxPsIJxMdE

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 31, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I found some 16" wide red oak at my lumber yard a little bit ago, I finally started making the new drawer fronts for my bar.

To replace these ones:

I'm also making sure I do enough coats of stain that they don't appear to be lighter.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AFewBricksShy posted:

I found some 16" wide red oak at my lumber yard a little bit ago, I finally started making the new drawer fronts for my bar.

That first pic made it look like you were making some wall art, and I was kinda in for that

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

Found a tongue+groove + lock miter router bit set on amazon so I guess I'll play around with them and see how it goes

Using a router to do a lock miter on 3/4" plywood is a big ask. You may need to borrow Kaiser's spanking new shaper, but I'd recommend butting the bottom shelf and going with edge banding veneer or thin hardwood.

Bloody posted:

Care to, ahem, expand on that?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
IDK I found very detailed information about moisture and wood.

Moisture properties of wood posted:

The dependence of the moisture content of wood products on temperature and the relative humidity of the air.

Example of the application (red dotted line)

- Source data:

- indoor air temperature + 22 C

- relative humidity of indoor air RH 50%

The table shows that the moisture content of wood is about 9.5% in the case based on the source data

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In principle, you can cut any thickness of wood with any size of bandsaw blade. The main things to be aware of are:

- The thinner the blade, the more easily it can deflect as it passes through the wood. In other words, you can get a cut that isn't straight up-and-down. So if you were resawing something then you'd want to use as wide of a blade as possible. I don't think that you'll see much deflection when cutting through a 2" piece, but then again, I've only ever tried to do straight cuts with that size of wood.
- The thinner the blade, the more slowly you have to go, because the smaller teeth can only clear so much sawdust out per pass.

Additionally, keep in mind that you don't have to do the entire cut in one smooth curve. One side of the cut should be waste wood (which side depends on if you're doing an inside or an outside curve). It's often useful to cut out a significant part of that waste wood without going anywhere near your cut line, then make multiple shorter passes that get closer to the line. Ultimately you may well want to get the final size by sanding, just because bandsaws often leave a lot of tool marks on the wood when making curved cuts.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes on the radius for sure. There are charts of blade width vs circle radius you can find online. 3/16" might be a little small to cut 2" stuff esp. if it's a hard wood, but probably fine if you take it slow and don't mind risking a broken blade.

Thanks. My plan is make parallel cuts for most of the depth with a radial arm saw and cut diagonally with that and the bandsaw to remove most of it, then go slow to get it as round as possible before sanding. I might even be able to do the finish with a router rather than the bandsaw. If it's not 100? perfect, I'm going to be covering the surface with felt anyway (this is a road case for a telescope optical tube).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've inherited my dad's old Stanley no.7. Our best guess is it's around 45 years old; is that old enough to escape the poo poo build quality era?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Run it through this tool and you should get a better answer but from what I could see it kinda seems like it’s probably immediately pre-WWII or maybe one of the wartime planes, which should be totally fine.

E: also even if it’s not the best era it’s still probably going to be totally *usable* unless it’s broken. Maybe not as good as an older Stanley or a modern high end plane but also may not be enough worse to be worth paying to replace.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 1, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Its an english casting, newer than the best era, so its a crapshoot. Is it flat? When you sharpen the blade can you get a good shaving?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's worth lapping the sole and finding out how flat it is (and it doesn't have to be as flat as the internet likes to think). The frogs are just fine post-WWII, and blades are inexpensive. It'll cut just fine with a little work.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you have a flat surface and various grits of sandpaper you can turn near garbage-tier planes into tools that will probably perform to or exceed your abilities.

If your abilities far outstrip a mediocre plane, then the odds are that you already own the best antique/new premium planes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all! And yeah, I know that even cheap modern planes can be made workable, I was just wondering what to expect. I ran the plane through the tool Kalman linked and it said it's a type 19, made sometime between 1948 and 1961.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Big Brain G-Dub just realized that I don't need to use the saws, I have a drillbit that can do 8" circles.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

NomNomNom posted:

Kaiser covered it pretty well but some addendum. For bowls/vases/hollow forms your basic tool set is going to be a bowl gouge, a scraper, and a boring/hollowing tool. Never use your Roughing gouge, spindle gouge, or skew on the inside of a bowl as it is very unsafe (the spindle gouge less so but still). Bowl gouges are cut to a different profile from spindle gouges and come in a variety of wing shapes that mostly boil down to personal preference. Boring tools are typically a cutter offset from a center shaft so that you can widen a hole once drilled to a desired diameter. The shaft is standard steel and the cutter can be made from HSS or carbide. Hollowing tools typically look like a scraper or carbide cutter on the end of a curved shaft and are used for undercutting material. Hollowing tools are the one place I've found that I prefer carbide over HSS.

The 3 most common carbide cutters are diamond, round, and square. I recommend using round cutters in bowl turning as the edges of a square can quickly create a catch. You can rotate the carbide cutter as it gets dull but expect carbide tools to cost a lot more than HSS in the long run. Finally, carbide cutters come in 2 main flavors. Positive rake and Negative rake. Positive rake will give you sharper cleaner cuts but negative rake takes more abuse and better handles material that are too soft or to hard. If you are turning wood with gaps in it, irregular shapes, or turning epoxy you should go with a negative rake cutter over a positive rake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

edit
Roundover treads and stringers? Idk.....

Yo mambold or anyone else, I've only used quarter round bits and heh just found out they have the whole roundover bit for one pass... is that the jam or? Is it that much better and worth buying a new bit for? Its pretty tempting and seems like a big timer saver and potential work saver too if it makes a clean pass. Half inch seems big though. The wood is hem-"fir" if it matters.