Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

drat maybe mark cuban was right about buying toothpaste in bulk to become a billionaire

i've been hording excess supplies ever since last april. a little extra here and there every time i grocery shop and now my home looks like a warehouse! i have every tool and every supply i could need and enough to share with a few people who don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySDKESt3_M&t=3894s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

loving UofT professors man :murder:

https://twitter.com/GlobeDebate/status/1398309856679841793

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

quote:

Finally, it is worth noting that the largest group of people in this country who were victimized by British colonialism, subjugated and incorporated into confederation by force, are French Canadians. This is why the status of the French language has served as the major flashpoint for conflict over minority rights in this country.

And so, if there is the need for an acronym to identify the most important minority groups in Canada, I would propose “FIVM”: Francophone, Indigenous and Visible Minority.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The idea that BIPOC isn't a great fit makes sense (Canadian problems need Canadian solutions), but uh his proposed recategorization is a little problematic. I don't think French-Canadians are still suffering as much (Oppression olymipics :shepicide:) as indigenous or visible minorities are and to put them first as suffering the most in Canada is dumb as poo poo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chillyrabbit posted:

The idea that BIPOC isn't a great fit makes sense (Canadian problems need Canadian solutions)

yeah it's not like black and indigenous folks experience greater disparities in canada or anything, hey

quote:

As part of her research, Davis studied the impact on violence in youth communities in Toronto and Jamaica. The most profound finding, she said, was how strongly Black youth in Toronto pushed back against the idea that the greatest violence they had faced in their communities was physical violence.

“They insisted that the most sustained, daily violence was the violence of the education system. It was teachers who did not believe in them, who stereotyped them, who over-disciplined and over-punished them, who constructed possibilities for them that were different from the possibilities for other children.”

edit: no doubt that last chart probably looks a little different thanks to the horrible rise in anti-asian hatred, but i bet the trends hold

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 00:04 on May 31, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah remind me again which provinces are the Indigenous and Visible Minority provinces? Maybe 200 years ago buddy... oh wait, just checking my notes on how bad Francophones, Indegenous, and visible minorities had it 200 years ago. Oof, this isn't even close.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
His point about Black Canadians being primarily localized around the GTA while Indigenous people have a much larger presence across most of Canada also applies to those charts you’re showing as well, mediaphage.

Not to say Black people don’t face racism in Canada but it’s at a very different scale from Indigenous people and that should be recognized. Like that last chart of “hate crimes reported to the police by race” is loving useless, because Canadian police don’t loving care.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Jeez, i wonder why indigenous people suffer the least from hate crimes, even less than white people, according to the police. i guess they don't count it when they do it, and the indigenous people don't report the hate crimes they suffer to the police for some reason.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to be honest i don't think his points, such as they are, will do anything except foment division and become a chud talking point against the woke people using terms like bipoc. i think there are arguments to be made about taking care of indigenous people, obviously, because the country as a whole clearly isn't. is coming out against bipoc to put the francos in First Racism Place over indigenous really doing anything to help matters? gently caress no

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

Jeez, i wonder why indigenous people suffer the least from hate crimes, even less than white people, according to the police. i guess they don't count it when they do it, and the indigenous people don't report the hate crimes they suffer to the police for some reason.

yeah, that's obviously bullshit, i've just seen more than a few comments about how black people don't see racism in canada. this comes up as a point that locals here make all the time. that was the only reason i posted the charts

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah its a decent initial point articulated badly with a conclusion thats laughable written by a white dude with no lived experience of racism.

That makes it one of the top 25% opinions in a globe and mail op ed.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think we can all agree, gently caress the rcmp and gently caress the police

I literally can’t comprehend how you can be a human being and be in law enforcement unless you’re an evil piece of poo poo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Police and RCMP do violence to Indigenous people and they also don't release race base statistics on police crimes, so that's probably why it seems so low

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It was kind of funny when the RCMP said they deserved the yellow ribbon plates and the support are troops people were like lmao gently caress off

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My fav is now that pride month is coming up, we've gotta repeatedly explain to cis white gays that cops are bad and don't belong at Pride.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Do it ironically posted:

I think we can all agree, gently caress the rcmp and gently caress the police

I literally can’t comprehend how you can be a human being and be in law enforcement unless you’re an evil piece of poo poo

It's the banality of evil - very few ppl who do serious harm consider themselves as such or are even capable of truly recognizing the harm

If it even starts to register they start rationalizing

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chillyrabbit posted:

The idea that BIPOC isn't a great fit makes sense (Canadian problems need Canadian solutions), but uh his proposed recategorization is a little problematic. I don't think French-Canadians are still suffering as much (Oppression olymipics :shepicide:) as indigenous or visible minorities are and to put them first as suffering the most in Canada is dumb as poo poo.

No, you see, when Montréalers say "le weekend" instead of "fin-de-semaine", that's cultural erasure on par with what indigenous people experience.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

My fav is now that pride month is coming up, we've gotta repeatedly explain to cis white gays that cops are bad and don't belong at Pride.

pride doesnt exist without cops

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

DariusLikewise posted:

pride doesnt exist without cops

I legit experienced having to explain to another trans person what lead to the existence of Pride after she asked "when did cops ever assault LGBTQ people?"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The thin blue line is right there in the rainbow

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm, I just stopped liking the pride flag

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet
if you think quebec hasnt been oppressed you dont know much about canada.

quote:

« Ne sont-ils pas, depuis l'établissement de la Nouvelle-France, au XVIIe siècle, les valets des impérialistes, les « nègres blancs d'Amérique » ? N'ont-ils pas, tout comme les Noirs américains, été importés pour servir de main-d'œuvre à bon marché dans le Nouveau Monde? Ce qui les différencie : uniquement la couleur de la peau et le continent d'origine. Après trois siècles, leur condition est demeurée la même. Ils constituent toujours un réservoir de main-d'œuvre à bon marché que les détenteurs de capitaux ont toute liberté de faire travailler ou de réduire au chômage, au gré de leurs intérêts financiers, qu'ils ont toute liberté de mal payer, de maltraiter et de fouler aux pieds. »

— Pierre Vallières, Nègres blancs d'Amérique

and for those who think its passé:

Testicular Torque Wrench has issued a correction as of 18:27 on May 31, 2021

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
There's that part in Maple Leaf Forever about how the French suck poo poo too

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

if you think quebec hasnt been oppressed you dont know much about canada.
and for those who think its passé:

This is certainly true, but I feel like conflating the struggles of the French, Indigenous and other seems purpose built to make progress pretty unattainable.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Yeah also maybe make your argument without quoting the "Quebecois are the white niggers of north america" book please. I think we can discuss oppression of french Canadians without comparing them to slaves, considering they were in the slave owning class.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Yeah also maybe make your argument without quoting the "Quebecois are the white niggers of north america" book please

note for any moderators with an itchy trigger finger, this is a literal translation of the title of the quoted book, not Another Bill just doing a slur for the hell of it

Canadians in general are pretty ashamed of the existence of that book

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Crow Buddy posted:

This is certainly true, but I feel like conflating the struggles of the French, Indigenous and other seems purpose built to make progress pretty unattainable.

Isn't the end point of the struggle the same, e.g. liberation? By lumping francophones with the rest maybe it can incentivize a mobilisation of ressources from the havers to the have-nots. (ottawa/toronto->quebec->natives)

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Another Bill posted:

Yeah also maybe make your argument without quoting the "Quebecois are the white niggers of north america" book please. I think we can discuss oppression of french Canadians without comparing them to slaves, considering they were in the slave owning class.

it is a metaphor, comparing the status of french canadians to black americans. moreover, the author was sheltered by the black panthers.

at the time the book was written, in quebec, the average wage of a francophone was 51% that of an anglophone's.
in the usa, at the same time, a black american's average wage was 56% of a white american's.

if you are offended by the word, i recommend you read about négritude

Testicular Torque Wrench has issued a correction as of 18:58 on May 31, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

it is a metaphor, comparing the status of french canadians to black americans.

at the time the book was written, in quebec, the average wage of a francophone was 51% that of an anglophone's.
in the usa, at the same time, a black american's average wage was 56% of a white american's.

While important, income is one facet of the ruthless oppression and heritage of slavery that Black Americans face. This is some lovely revisionism, it is willfully stupid. I really hope this is a bit.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The idea that francophones have more in common in Canada with minorities and especially indigenous folks than they do white anglos is laughable.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I think you're supposed to say "n word" instead of the actual n word

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Furthermore, if we did mobilize all our resources to "liberate" francophones, do you honestly think francophones are going to turn around and demand complete de-colonialization of Canada and especially Quebec?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Isn't the end point of the struggle the same, e.g. liberation? By lumping francophones with the rest maybe it can incentivize a mobilisation of ressources from the havers to the have-nots. (ottawa/toronto->quebec->natives)

Sure, but FIMV seems like something Tucker Carlson would be discussing as a means of derailing the conversation than achieving any of that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
howling at the idea of francophones realizing that capitalists don't actually give a poo poo about them and instead of going "hmm, it seems the proletariat are oppressed" they just go "clearly we're facing the same injustices as racial minorities because of our language!"

it's not the language you discount frenchmen

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

it is a metaphor, comparing the status of french canadians to black americans. moreover, the author was sheltered by the black panthers.

Oh are we just suggesting readings because I've got some for you too, and it explains why french Canadians and aboriginals shouldn't be treated the same due to different historic experiences:

quote:

In Canada, the majority of slaves were not of African, but rather of Aboriginal origin. Native populations customarily subjugated war captives before the arrival of the French, but this practice acquired new meanings and unprecedented proportions in the context of western expansion. Beginning in the 1670s, the French began to receive captives from their Aboriginal partners as tokens of friendship during commercial and diplomatic exchanges. The Illinois were notorious for the raids which they led against nations to the southeast and from which they brought back captives. By the early eighteenth century, the practice of buying and selling these captives like merchandise was established.

https://www.historymuseum.ca/virtual-museum-of-new-france/population/slavery/

Tell me again how francophones are just like African slaves. :allears:

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Virtual Russian posted:

The idea that francophones have more in common in Canada with minorities and especially indigenous folks than they do white anglos is laughable.

both natives and quebecois want to separate, how about that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Et juste comme info, moi je suis née et élevé dans une quartier plein de pauvres cols bleus francais et je trace mes lignes familials jusqu'au commencement du 19eme siècle en Québec. Je ne suis pas un anglo ici pour attaquer les francais, mais c'est le temps de laisser certaines idées mourir dans le passé. Les 'negres blancs' est une de ces idées

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Another Bill posted:

Oh are we just suggesting readings because I've got some for you too, and it explains why french Canadians and aboriginals shouldn't be treated the same due to different historic experiences:
https://www.historymuseum.ca/virtual-museum-of-new-france/population/slavery/

Tell me again how francophones are just like African slaves. :allears:

the english took away french-canadians's right to property until the quebec act lmao

Another Bill posted:

Et juste comme info, moi je suis née et élevé dans une quartier plein de pauvres cols bleus francais et je trace mes lignes familials jusqu'au commencement du 19eme siècle en Québec. Je ne suis pas un anglo ici pour attaquer les francais, mais c'est le temps de laisser certaines idées mourir dans le passé. Les 'negres blancs' est une de ces idées

je ne suis pas un partisan ''die-hard'' de l'idée de la négritude blanche, mais je trouve la comparaison extrêmement apte à plusieurs niveaux. Je comprend la controverse du terme; j'en prend responsabilité. Mais l'idée prétendue de la solidarité blanche anglo-franco est risible. Les québecois sont beaucoup plus près des premières nations que des anglophones.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

J'suis Quebecois et je veux pas qu'on se sépare, pis aux dernières nouvelles mon opinion était plutôt majoritaire au Québec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

So do Albertans, the other marginalized group