Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

shoeberto posted:

I think there was health regen too? Some other small gameplay tweaks. It wasn't a bad game, but in hindsight idtech 4 just was... not good for making games. If the same sort of game had been made in the same vein as the contemporary Call of Duties it might've been pretty good.

I actually played Q4 with a mod that made it more of a military shooter with ironsights, low TTK, whatever else--I can't even remember. It played a lot like CoD and it was still terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

treat posted:

I actually played Q4 with a mod that made it more of a military shooter with ironsights, low TTK, whatever else--I can't even remember. It played a lot like CoD and it was still terrible.

That sounds worse than the original game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

david_a posted:

What’s the best idtech 4 game? Prey? The Dark Mod? :cheeky:

I'll go to bat for Wolf '09.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'm always a little sad to see Q2 get dunked on, but it coincided with when my family got a Pentium II and it was one of the games I had pored over in PC Gamer and was dying to play, so there's nostalgia at work. And also briefly had access to a digital projector as a kid, and hooked up an N64 with rented Quake2, which was another happy memory. (playing You Don't Know Jack online and Acrophobia on that thing was also fun and novel as hell)

It's definitely lacking some personality though. Lots of factories and crates and factories manufacturing crates.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

david_a posted:

Prey isn't only the best idtech 4 game, it's the best game named Prey

SeANMcBAY posted:

That sounds worse than the original game.

I honestly have no idea if it is or not, I don't remember a single thing about either playthrough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

UnknownMercenary posted:

Seconded, if Microsoft announced a remaster of it I'd be a day one buyer(assuming I have something it can run on at the time)

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

david_a posted:

Prey owns and is super underrated. The vehicle sections kinda stink though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Didn’t the game play different afterward too? I feel like you received an increase to health/armor and moved faster afterward.

it lets you access health regen consoles throughout the levels because now you can read strogg and understand what it does

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

it lets you access health regen consoles throughout the levels because now you can read strogg and understand what it does

Well how else are you supposed to find out how to....interact.... with what amounts to a meaty blood bag hanging off a wall? Thankfully there's no animation

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

treat posted:

So, pistols at dawn then?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I still want to hear the soundtrack KMFDM did for the original cancelled Prey.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

treat posted:

Brother in Arms

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I appreciated Prey for the unique setting and inventive level design but I just cannot get into shooters with butt fuckingly ugly weaponry. Every gun looked like some unique piece of alien turd with metal sticking out of it.

I do love that the devs really put the effort in and actually cast some indigenous actors to play the roles, and according to Michael Greyeyes, the guy that voiced Tommy, they listened to his concerns and ideas and changed the script accordingly. Good on ya, Human Head.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
edit -- I got my rear end beaten a page back

WilWheaton fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 31, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I appreciated Prey for the unique setting and inventive level design but I just cannot get into shooters with butt fuckingly ugly weaponry. Every gun looked like some unique piece of alien turd with metal sticking out of it.

I do love that the devs really put the effort in and actually cast some indigenous actors to play the roles, and according to Michael Greyeyes, the guy that voiced Tommy, they listened to his concerns and ideas and changed the script accordingly. Good on ya, Human Head.

Considering Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi's original name was "Talon Brave" I think getting Michael's input was less of a nice thing and more something that was desperately needed. I've always had the suspicion that Michael Greyeyes had a much greater positive influence on the game than people realize, aside from Tommy's VA being excellent, he had flaws and depth as a character that made him so much more interesting than any other FPS protagonist at the time. That character depth didn't extend to anyone else, though. Every other character in the game is a walking cliche who gets done dirty, thankfully there's not much of them and Tommy himself is solid enough to carry the barebones plot. I wish there was more for him to interact with and react to since he's one of the better aspects of the game but I also love Prey for how short and sweet it is.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

my only memory of prey 06's writing is tommy refusing to believe any of the magic is real when hes literally talking to his dead grandad in the spirit realm

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All I remember of Prey 06 was watching my cousin play it and me getting motion sickness for one of the few times in my life. Maybe I’ll give it a go someday since it did seem like a cool game.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 31, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember it got a lot of poo poo for being "impossible to die" but really, what is missing from the game by not erasing chunks of progress when you take too many hits? I'm pretty sure it actually does rewind your progress on some encounters so it's effectively a checkpoint system, just one presented as a minigame instead of a load screen.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

treat posted:

Considering Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi's original name was "Talon Brave"

:lol: For real??

I mean, the original version was being developed by 3D Shadow Warrior Realms right? I shouldn't be surprised.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Overbite posted:

Who knows if they actually still have it. Apparently they were using ZIP disks around that time

There was a relatively obscure game released in the 90s that featured art design by Brute but oddly didn't have KMFDM music

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I need to finish both Quake 4 and Prey '06, but I enjoyed what I played of both of them. I think I'm pretty close to the end on both of them, it's a little embarrassing. I love Wolf '09, it's pretty drat solid, and I loving love the particle cannon and the reactions to it. Hearing the nazis shriek "he's got a particle cannon!" before you disintegrate them is excellently done.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

treat posted:

:wrong:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

verbal enema posted:

NS1 was some insane fun

NS2 aint too bad if you still got that itch idk about the current playerbase tho been awhile since i played

NS was always my lol brother's game he loved that poo poo

I remember when the very first release of NS came out, and res towers were giving out 10 times the normal rates of res, so you had a constant stream of jetpacks and heavies marching into a wall of defence towers and fades. Still to this day can't decide if that was really a bug, or an deliberate mistake so that everyone would get to play with all the toys in their first encounter.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was a relatively obscure game released in the 90s that featured art design by Brute but oddly didn't have KMFDM music

ZPC. It gets brought up every once and a while. The only thing it had going for it was the design and premise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

catlord posted:

I need to finish both Quake 4 and Prey '06, but I enjoyed what I played of both of them. I think I'm pretty close to the end on both of them, it's a little embarrassing. I love Wolf '09, it's pretty drat solid, and I loving love the particle cannon and the reactions to it. Hearing the nazis shriek "he's got a particle cannon!" before you disintegrate them is excellently done.

One of the best Nazi Killing Simulators of all time, the Sniper Elite games are pretty much the only other games I can think of that rival it in that regard

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quake 4 was the first Quake game where I found the action itself was somewhat mediocre. And it had two terrible tank maps. But I liked lots of things they did with the flow and how the story progresses, and the set pieces. I still remember how there was a big enemy that was teased in some places before you get to fight it.

I liked (old) Prey a lot, despite being what we could call an anti-old school FPS, where you couldn't even die.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Good article on Quake here!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-retro-quake-five-year-anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KxRXZhQuY8

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Which is why it was posted on the previous page :P :P

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/SpaceHunter_M/status/1399044283353604100

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wamdoodle posted:

ZPC. It gets brought up every once and a while. The only thing it had going for it was the design and premise.

It also lets you rocket jump by punching the ground

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Turin Turambar posted:

Quake 4 was the first Quake game where I found the action itself was somewhat mediocre. And it had two terrible tank maps. But I liked lots of things they did with the flow and how the story progresses, and the set pieces. I still remember how there was a big enemy that was teased in some places before you get to fight it.

I liked (old) Prey a lot, despite being what we could call an anti-old school FPS, where you couldn't even die.

Re the poster above talking about ironsights etc in a mod, my thing with Q4 was more about the setpieces. They almost pull it off but it still falls short.

Was Wolf 09 really idtech 4? I always forget it exists.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

treat posted:

That's a hot take. Prey 2017 is a great game. An amazing one. It's a shame that they both share the name because both own but don't diss the most recent one.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Wolf '09 is drat good. I kind of like it a bit more than Prey so, winner on the idtech 4 part.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Overbite posted:

Holy poo poo what? I did not know they were involved in any capacity. gently caress, now I want to hear this!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pathos posted:

Holy poo poo what? I did not know they were involved in any capacity. gently caress, now I want to hear this!

From some research there’s a track used in this trailer (I had no idea there was a trailer for this version of the game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSFxiuID1TY
I’m the A TALON BRAVE GAME subtitle; they were really gonna make a franchise off a horrible stereotype? :thumbsup:

Another track got recycled as MDFMK - Missing Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6H3bboKKU

The rest are probably lost because Sascha was using Iomega Jaz disks at the time

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah I dislike it when games have the same name. I get confused whenever Prey gets mentioned, as are you talking about the Adventures of Not-Turok in the Alien Meatball or the Adventures of Mr/Ms Jams Needles in Eyes in the Space 1970s Hotel?

Even Doom isn't safe from this.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah I dislike it when games have the same name. I get confused whenever Prey gets mentioned, as are you talking about the Adventures of Not-Turok in the Alien Meatball or the Adventures of Mr/Ms Jams Needles in Eyes in the Space 1970s Hotel?

Even Doom isn't safe from this.

My favorite example is Bionic Commando, a series with 7 games, 4 of which are named Bionic Commando.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

https://twitter.com/sympolite/status/1399138009769910272

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9N7UhTMA8&t=123s

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I love Quake 2 RTX as a tech demo but I wish it wasn't attached to one of the dullest games of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Maybe I don't understand everything about how the studios were organized, but, why was 3d realms both making its own engine in house for prey while also making DNF under a different licensed engine every year?