Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

DO YA?!

This is my favorite and always makes me laugh.

Also, Frankie appearing like he was shot out of a loving cannon to take out Karl Anderson ruled so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is my favorite and always makes me laugh.

Also, Frankie appearing like he was shot out of a loving cannon to take out Karl Anderson ruled so hard.

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm super excited for Frankie's Elite Hunter gimmick.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/jonalba/status/1399234080533778440?s=21

Hyyype.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BAH GAWD THAT'S NICK KHAN'S MUSIC WITH A FIVE MILLION A YEAR SIT AT HOME CONTRACT

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lid posted:

BAH GAWD THAT'S NICK KHAN'S MUSIC WITH A FIVE MILLION A YEAR SIT AT HOME CONTRACT

Lol I doubt there's enough money in the world to get Lio to even consider thinking about going back to the WWE ever again.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I don't think Lio Rush will fall for that a second time, but watch me be wrong.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah his last stint in wwe almost made him quit wrestling forever

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, that’s probably why Tony isn’t even bothering with a contract, he knows WWE could drop a bank off in Lio’s driveway and tell him he can take everything inside if he works for them and Lio’d be like “yeah I’d rather starve”

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also I think it's partially a play, telling him that he can work without a deal is deffo something that will say good things to people burnt by the WWF recently that AEW is willing to play as fast and loose as you want to.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MJeff posted:

This part is absolutely right. It really started up after the Lights Out match, it's loving weird the way they push Britt. Like, to a point, yea ok is right, you should just let people react how they want to react, but the big push AEW made out of that match was how awesome Britt Baker was and how much rear end she kicked, except, she lost.

And they pretty much completely stopped acknowledging Thunder Rosa's existence on TV after that match, which, she won. It's like they put Rosa over and then after the match, decided to just pretend that Britt had won. And the way they did this 100% undercut Shida as a babyface champion.

It's weird, man.

[angrily slams the table, hard] gently caress! MJeff is extremely correct!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I spent money on it and enjoyed it.

The women were the standouts. Riho/Deeb and Britt/Shida were my fave matches. Glorious fuckin violence. Shida kneed Britt so hard she knocked the spraytan off.

I'm ok with the Cody/Ogogo match because it looks like they're gonna shoot an angle out of that for Ogogo's benefit. QT's gonna mouth off to Ogogo and poop his pants.

They cooled the heat off the Miro/Lance match with the totally unneeded Jake dick punch. I'm not really sure what the endgame of that was other than to clutter a perfectly good hoss off. It was still some big boy poo poo so its not the WORST THING EVAR or whatever.

And that's not to say anything of the Tag and world title matches which were exactly what you were sold. Which is a nice change. The elite has now managed to piss off every major faction except Sting-gun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like the card suit battle royals, because if it was one entry at a time it's just the Royal Rumble, and I like that they're doing something else. BUT, they need to make a few changes to it:
-Announce the suit groups ahead of time and list them on the screen when picked, otherwise the suit means nothing to the live crowd.
-Have everyone come out at once like the one from 2019. They don't need individual entrances.
-Mix up the Joker card and pick it in random order like the others. It doesn't need to come last every time.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

honestly you just seem mad that people like britt baker

really seems like theyre mad that they could have put a ton behind shida too instead of going all in (heh, lil gamblin reference there for you) on the Division of Britt

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Yeah I loved the show except like one person mentioned the Britt story problems (also the match teetered back and forth between sloppy and coordinated a lot) and the other big elephant in the room for AEW: The Cody Problem.

How long is Cody going to keep going over young talent in matches where he absolutely shouldn't be? Ogogo should have been made to look strong and unique tonight instead he was booked to look like any other guy Cody could beat. And these problems are so consistent with him I'm convinced Stings run will end with the company when Cody beats him at their biggest PPV of the year.

They really need to figure that poo poo out.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah I loved the show except like one person mentioned the Britt story problems and the other big elephant in the room for AEW: The Cody Problem.

How long is Cody going to keep going over young talent in matches where he absolutely shouldn't be? Ogogo should have been made to look strong and unique tonight instead he was booked to look like any other guy Cody could beat. And these problems are so consistent with him I'm convinced Stings run will end with the company when Cody beats him at their biggest PPV of the year.

agree on the looking like every other guy part. its cool to see that ogogo can do other stuff than punch but he shouldnt. every move should be a set up for a punch. rip cord punches, pop up punches, diving punches, shooting star punch etc etc etc

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Are you more upset that they did that or that it worked?

Neither. It was sound, competent booking logic and given the state of the division at that specific point of time it's hard to single out anyone else in particular that definitely should have gotten that spot even if I think Rosa could have gotten that exact match out of some others. Tay is the only alternative I could give but that is 100% hindsight at work.

If I have any particular issue it's Shida largely being an afterthought in the division she was the champion and sole consistent, legitimizing performer in for much of her run, with my general feeling being that they went all-in on Britt at most every other woman's expense - Shida included. If someone just likes Britt I'm not going to be surprised if that's not a particular issue for them or demand that they should rethink anything based on my personal view of the matter. But ultimately I like Shida a lot and think she deserved more focus throughout her reign that she actually got whenever it wasn't time to head through the tunnel for a defense.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

One thing I'm so excited about, after watching this PPV, is that they seem so future-focused. All that long-term investment in their guys and booking towards their strengths looks like it will eventually pay off and that's awesome for people who want to watch and go to shows.

Like, when Hangman assumedly wins the title off Omega, everyone who goes can be like "I was there when Hangman finally overcame his demons and won, it was the payoff for the best long-term storyline in wrestling." When OC wins down the line, they can be there for the ascension of the hottest meme character ever to hit wrestling. Sammy wins down the line, we've seen him move to that point from literally the first Dynamite match. With MJF, when he wins we've watched him go from naturally talented heel to reach his potential as the most hated man in the company. When Jungle Boy wins, we've seen him from his early tag team to losing his first TNT title match to losing his first battle royale to winning the battle royale to losing a world title match, plus any tag wins that might happen and watching his character develop on TV. I didn't watch wrestling as a kid, I started by watching RoH it with a wrestling-loving friend in the mid-late 2000s, so most of the guys I liked didn't have that heroes journey to the top, and the ones that did (Bryan, arguably Steen) felt stop-start and spoiled by booking. WWE doesn't do growth or long-term booking, but the moments we will get from watching these characters grow over time feel like much bigger draws and much more impactful "moments" in the long run. (Which is, of course, ironic considering how WWE books around "moments" but doesn't understand why storytelling beats actually exist.)

I mean, it's storytelling 101 and it pissed me off endlessly before when I compared wrestling to other media, but it turns out storytelling rules do apply to wrestling as much as other story-based media and it's mind-blowing.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Shida carried that title and thus her division throughout the entire pandemic. Her reign ended with Britt quickly exiting with the title and not even a lingering camera shot on Shida after her loss to get a little crowd acknowledgment.

I can only guess they had to rush everything at the end there for time but not only did Britt not really get to celebrate a career defining win, the camera forgot Shida even existed after she tapped. It felt insulting.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah I loved the show except like one person mentioned the Britt story problems (also the match teetered back and forth between sloppy and coordinated a lot) and the other big elephant in the room for AEW: The Cody Problem.

Out of all of AEW's EVPs, Cody is clearly the biggest mark for himself on second thought he has put a quite a bit of young talent over so forget i said anything :v:

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 31, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Le Saboteur posted:

cody's just weird when he's booking himself and i don't think he's really figured out the lane he should go down. he still really should've gone over mjf at the end of that feud for SOME sort of catharsis and he does really feel like he and his crew are in a bubble compared to the interconnected feuds across the rest of the show

him booking himself vs shaq to get velvet and jade over was real smart, still, though

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Shida carried that title and thus her division throughout the entire pandemic. Her reign ended with Britt quickly exiting with the title and not even a lingering camera shot on Shida after her loss to get a little crowd acknowledgment.

I can only guess they had to rush everything at the end there for time but not only did Britt not really get to celebrate a career defining win, the camera forgot Shida even existed after she tapped. It felt insulting.

Who gives a gently caress about the camera, the crowd were chanting "Thank you Shida"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sammy was in more than the first Dynamite match, he was in the first official AEW match ever because it was him and Kip on the pre-show to the first Double or Nothing

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Pylons posted:

Who gives a gently caress about the camera, the crowd were chanting "Thank you Shida"

While the announcers were moving onto and promoing the next match. The show had moved on. The crowd acknowledged her, the show did not.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 31, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also I dunno if I buy that Rosa vanished off the face of the Earth because of Corgan. If only because Rosa cut a very passionate promo right after the show and it never made it to TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBJbPG_5ik&t=65s

Instead of having her say this on TV, the fallout of the match the next week was 100% centered on Britt. I'm sorry, I think that's really weird and I don't think Corgan is responsible for it.

MotU posted:

agree on the looking like every other guy part. its cool to see that ogogo can do other stuff than punch but he shouldnt. every move should be a set up for a punch. rip cord punches, pop up punches, diving punches, shooting star punch etc etc etc

Luckily, that second one is his finisher, so he's gonna be doing that a lot.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
glad to be here for the livecrafting of this exciting new conspiracy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sega 32X posted:

When OC wins down the line, they can be there for the ascension of the hottest meme character ever to hit wrestling.

i do wanna say that we've seen OC grow a lot from where he started as a pure goof -- nothing he did in the three way was to clown around and the kick spot was a real short 'gently caress you' to pac instead of the extended bit we've seen him do before

i do kind of wish it was underlined a bit on the show but him losing the tnt title shot against cody to the time limit draw BECAUSE he spent so much of the start of the match loving around was the start of the push for him to Try when something's legitimately on the line, and it's been a real natural shift of his character since

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

Luckily, that second one is his finisher, so he's gonna be doing that a lot.

no i know but he shoudl have more punches and not like a generic frog splash. teach him how to do cesaro's psycho crusher

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Cameo posted:

Sammy was in more than the first Dynamite match, he was in the first official AEW match ever because it was him and Kip on the pre-show to the first Double or Nothing

Kip and Sammy ARE the AEW Originals.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Like maybe I could see what yall were saying...if Britt wasn't super over, has shown growth from the beginning of AEW to now, didn't feel like the natural next champion and hadn't been in some of the best matches in AEW.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Le Saboteur posted:

when else has Cody gone over young talent that he shouldn't be?

he lost the TNT belt to Darby, he lost the feud against MJF (after taking 10 lashes from him in the ring), his team lost to Jade and Shaq

I mean, he had a number of TNT title wins when he was champ doing a weekly challenge when he usually made some younger guy look good but eventually went over, which made sense because they weren't going to randomly hotshot the title, but aside from those one-shot matches during that run, I struggle to think of any major feud aside from this one where Cody's actually won

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Shard posted:

Like maybe I could see what yall were saying...if Britt wasn't super over, has shown growth from the beginning of AEW to now, didn't feel like the natural next champion and hadn't been in some of the best matches in AEW.

its almost like you are just about understanding the conversation people are having regarding britt's booking and why it ended up being her as the sole option. except that last part, because shes been in some of the worst and then a spectacle match and the 2nd best women's match tonight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

I'm not saying any of that isn't true (maybe I'm saying the last part isn't true, but I really don't feel like getting into an argument about Britt's in-ring).

I'm just saying they pushed her in a very weird way that got Rosa and Shida less over.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

glad to be here for the livecrafting of this exciting new conspiracy

thread didn't get a chance to go to poo poo this week since Dynamite wasn't on a Wednesday, so people really had to dig deep to find a reason to doom n' gloom after a great PPV to get that weekly quota in

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

StarkRavingMad posted:

thread didn't get a chance to go to poo poo this week since Dynamite wasn't on a Wednesday, so people really had to dig deep to find a reason to doom n' gloom after a great PPV to get that weekly quota in

Go ahead and find a post of me saying it was a bad match, a bad title change or a bad decision. You'll be looking for a while, motherfucker!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

nothing doom and gloom about it, aew put out a very good ppv and will keep putitng out great shows. calling any criticism doom and gloom or things of that nature is pretty toxic though. things can be good and still have points people dont agree with and trying to wholly categorize people that dont immediately fall into line is kinda harmful because it just pushes people away

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ok thread getting weird post ppv. Going to sleep now

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The best thing is that I had 20 bucks in Fite.TV funbucks and got it for free.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MJeff posted:

Go ahead and find a post of me saying it was a bad match, a bad title change or a bad decision. You'll be looking for a while, motherfucker!

so what are you on about with all this they pushed her in a really weird way stuff

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sometimes the star has to beat the up-and-comer rather than jobbing to them. This was one of those times. Even if Cody had jobbed to Ogogo then what? The Bucks jobbed to Private Party first round in the inaugural tag tournament and it was a great match that made Private Party look like the future. But since neither the tag titles or any real programs were in their future the shine kinda faded and now they're just hanging around Matt Hardy (I know that this stint is probably great for their long-term growth as performers but it's doing nothing for them right now). Ogogo's career isn't going to be made or broken in his 3rd match ever. He's not Vader and Cody is no Inoki.

That having been said: Cody's extra-ness seems to be working less and less as time goes on. Maybe it's the lack of crowds and now that they're back he'll have a resurgence. Or maybe he's suffering terminal head-up-his-own-rear end. Only time will tell.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Power Windows posted:

The hanky goes in the pocket, Tully

I've seen dtf vers' sometimes put it around their neck but it ain't common. Gotta admit I never pictured Tully as a uniform kinda guy but hey to each their own