Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The only reason I'm gunshy about Cody winning matches is that it's often against underdeveloped talent in terms of crowd heat.

I'm absolutely convinced that Shawn Spears wouldn't be considered a jobber if he'd won that first match between the two. The chairman gimmick absolutely has legs as we saw tonight.

A more protracted feud, given the nuclear heat before their match, would have allowed Spears to survive getting beat in the second meeting. Instead he was buried about as deep as Warhorse was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

fez_machine posted:

The only reason I'm gunshy about Cody winning matches is that it's often against underdeveloped talent in terms of crowd heat.

I'm absolutely convinced that Shawn Spears wouldn't be considered a jobber if he'd won that first match between the two. The chairman gimmick absolutely has legs as we saw tonight.

A more protracted feud, given the nuclear heat before their match, would have allowed Spears to survive getting beat in the second meeting. Instead he was buried about as deep as Warhorse was.

I think they got really shy about putting over Spears like that after the absolutely horrific chairshot but maybe not.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

Bro, she's wrestled one two minute match on Dynamite since the Lights Out match.

Not my fault if you don't watch Elevation, "bro" - which is "canon" as you say - and she's had other obligations with other promotions. My point is more that you use a ton of hyperbole and it's not helping your points. Like not differentiating at all between the context of Kenny and Britt's angles, characters, and trajectories over the past year+, but acting like you have no idea why people could possibly be treating them so differently.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Oh Snapple! posted:

longterm storytelling is no joke

:hmmyes:

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I think, in a weird roundabout way, Spears floundering for as long as he did helped him out a bit. I like the guy, but I think even if he won against Cody, I just couldn't envision Spears hanging around that upper midcard scene at the inception of AEW without getting lukewarm receptions. He probably wouldn't be considered a jobber, but I do think he might've just gone under the radar, which he ended up doing anyways. But with The Pinnacle, the sole focus isn't on him and he can develop The Chairman bit a lot more. Personally, I've found myself a lot more interested in him since joining The Pinnacle.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
spears is good as a sidekick or something

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another problem is that the Cody bubble means that if you've only been wrestling in that context, you don't have anything to fall back on in the rest of the roster.

Like where Ogogo go after here? It felt like more of an individual loss than a loss to QT's group as a whole. For that matter, it feels like QT played his Ace in the hole in the feud without actually getting a significant win over Cody. I can't imagine how they'd be positioned as a threat, unless AEW starts pushing Camorato as the GUY in the QT faction. At the moment, they're complete chumps who got one over in the betrayal and then have been sent running ever since.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Given we've got Lee/Cody vs. QT/Ogogo this week, Ogogo will still be tied into this feud. I don't think its too out of the realm of possibility for Ogogo to get his win back against Lee Johnson.

Unless they just go 0-2 on the night, which I suppose is possible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I really loved the show and got my :20bux: out of it and loved the pacing and action in almost all of the matches, so any complaints are just tiny things

Shinjobi posted:

I dont think anyone is accusing the women's division booking of being racist. Nor do I think anyone is denying Britt had been built for this to be the natural changing point. This story has been coming for a long time now.

It's just really lovely that we had this dog and pony show on Friday night of "here now you can address your live crowd, here's a bigger belt, enjoy the next 48 hours as best you can." And then the PPV skips over the aftermath of the match, and thankfully the crowd did the thank you chant otherwise there was no acknowledgement of the former champ as the camera truck decided it was time to look at the goddamn commentary table for some reason???

It's not conspiracy. There's so secret women's division illuminati. But they've had growing pains in this company and this feels like more of em. Just wish it had been handled better. Maybe part of it is just due to the playoffs pushing Dynamite out of position, who can say?

I'm glad they at least nodded to the crowd chanting "THANK YOU SHIDA" but I'm not sure lingering on somebody losing the belt is good unless they're going to be gone for a while. and there's no reason to think Shida is leaving or returning to Japan for an extended period anytime soon. I don't think there needs to be a rematch between her and Britt anytime soon, but spinning Shida off into a different feud soon would be good.

the action and matches in the women's division are still great, but yeah, between short time and inconsistent star power, it's still building. COVID had a huge impact there, no doubt. and hopefully with more time in the form of Rampage, there can be more women's matches on TV every week.

other loose thoughts:

• Love the Bucks coming out in faux Off-White gear with some Off-White 1s.
  • the two big licensed entrance themes both blew the crowd wide open ("Wild Thing" and "Tarzan Boy")
  • Ogogo and Jade are the two who I wish could somehow go on an excursion and come back after a year of touring in Japan, both are going to be real good but they need reps
  • Sting shouldn't be out there every week but occasionally? sure, why not
  • Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky finally have a tag team entrance video/song, and it's perfect for them. "GQ spread" is a good style I don't think anyone has used before.
  • Orange by-god Cassidy in a world championship match in TYOOL 2021 and it's not a complete throwaway
  • Urban Meyer said "Holy poo poo," I can't foresee any world where TFF doesn't clip that and use it many weeks this fall

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I can't believe people are mad about Cody winning when he managed to end racism in America with that victory tonight.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i am not willing to say Spears' gimmick has legs. I need him to appear eating chairios and shilling for novelty Pinnacle brand chair cushions before I think he's willing to go the distance

His promos have gotten way better tho

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fez_machine posted:

Another problem is that the Cody bubble means that if you've only been wrestling in that context, you don't have anything to fall back on in the rest of the roster.

Like where Ogogo go after here? It felt like more of an individual loss than a loss to QT's group as a whole. For that matter, it feels like QT played his Ace in the hole in the feud without actually getting a significant win over Cody. I can't imagine how they'd be positioned as a threat, unless AEW starts pushing Camorato as the GUY in the QT faction. At the moment, they're complete chumps who got one over in the betrayal and then have been sent running ever since.

I still think it was dumb for Cody to go over QT on free TV already, even if it was a special like Blood & Guts. That should've been the endgame match after both guys' minions dispatched each other.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

PPV was amazing, my non-fan friends and partner really enjoyed it.

Sting doin this poo poo at 62 is wild.

That was the best Shawn Spears ever was, in his chair lair.

D-M-D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Catching up with the hot takes

Rosa: People are saying that she's been ignored or erased or whatever but she's the #2 ranked woman in the division so she's clearly still valued as important by the company. I think what people are mad about here is less 'AEW's neglecting Rosa' and more 'AEW still struggles to have more than one women's storyline'. That's the reason she's not been on Dynamite much, not because they don't want to push her. Also MJeff Rosa's post-Lights Out promo did make Dynamite, it was part of the match highlights package the very next week

Shida: I get that they were scrambling for time all night and still only just brought it in by midnight but the cameras really should have shown us the THANK YOU SHIDA moment. That's the only real valid complaint I think is there, apart from that Britt was mega over and always going to get cheered so what could they do? The whole point of AEW is they don't do the 'you cheer who we tell you to cheer' thing

Cody: Cody rarely ever gets beat because when you beat Cody it loving makes you. Ogogo didn't need to beat Cody here, all he needed to do is exactly what he did which is come out and show that he's got real wrestling skills and a ton of potential. He lost and everyone's still talking about him. It doesn't ruin his character or kill his push in the womb or anything like that, he's clearly going to be a force and all he needs to do is rack up a few Dynamite wins and he'll be fine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gwen posted:

i am not willing to say Spears' gimmick has legs

Chairs have 4 legs actually

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/flyingvtrigger/status/1399184470792679425?s=21

Miro has a new sidekick. Mei-ro

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

Chairs have 4 legs actually
and i'm just learning this now?!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Nj37yKEco

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Concerned that the Tony Khan standup intro and outro is gonna make Rampage feel weird

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I would have preferred for Ogogo to beat Cody but in terms of rankings or pushes or whatever, I think Ogogo's still pretty new and has a chance to make a name for himself.

Shida- I mean yeah, her reign was not as good as it could have been, and much of that is down to AEW's struggles with finding room for its women's division over the past year, something they have gotten better at. I would like to see her get a second run.

As for Rosa, there is the whole "still under contract to someone else" thing going on- as far as I can tell they try to use her whenever they can and hopefully, as soon as her current contract expires Tony pounces, because it seems like she really wants to be in AEW as well.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

harperdc posted:

I don't think there needs to be a rematch between her and Britt anytime soon, but spinning Shida off into a different feud soon would be good.

The problem is we all know that's not going to going to happen. Britt Baker is basically the only woman in the company who can ever have a storyline or even speak basically. Besides Brandi, but she's not here anymore.

I think it's all but guaranteed that Shida won't be on Dynamite next week, there'll be no followup to her losing after a year long reign. She'll just vanish for a while and maybe start showing up on Dark/Elevation having 3 minute squash matches for like a year, until another heel (probably Jade) has the belt and they can throw her out on Dynamite for a 1-week feud before a PPV.

That's why it's kind of depressing that the Baker Coronation was such a foregone conclusion. It was never a story about Shida vs Britt, it was the story of Britt getting the belt. The title could have been vacant for the past year for all the story cared.

I have nothing against Britt, I think it is really amazing how far she's come since AEW started and if they'd told a good story and built a solid division I'd have no problem with it. The problem is they didn't do either of those things. They have effectively a one-woman division where Britt is the only woman that matters, and the rest of the women just exist to be bested by her.

My worry is it just turns into another version of Shida's run where have maybe 2 or 3 big matches they can do (Maybe Tay, maybe Riho, maybe Statlander?) but again every single one of those feuds is gonna be a foregone conclusion and once those are done what else have they got? A division full of Dark level talent that have never been treated as competitors to the people Britt will have beaten by then. Obviously she'll get 100 times as many promos as Shida or Riho or Nyla ever did, but how long can that sustain a champion? Thunder Rosa is the most obvious babyface to dethrone Britt, but she won't be free to join AEW officially until 2022 at the earliest so basically this just guarantees Baker is gonna be spinning wheels for at least 6 or 7 months because they just refuse to build anyone else.

Obviously AEW has limitations. TNT reportedly refuses to give the women any more screen time, so when they're basically limited to only devoting 10 minutes a week to the entire division they just focus on the one woman whose mega over. Maybe Rampage will help alleviate the problem and give them time to actually build some characters who can stand up to Britt, but I'll believe it when I see it frankly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It sounds like your problem is with the women's division booking and not with Britt

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Drakkel posted:

I think it's all but guaranteed that Shida won't be on Dynamite next week, there'll be no followup to her losing after a year long reign. She'll just vanish for a while and maybe start showing up on Dark/Elevation having 3 minute squash matches for like a year, until another heel (probably Jade) has the belt and they can throw her out on Dynamite for a 1-week feud before a PPV.

You sound pretty sure about this, why don’t you toxx for it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey I was just thinking about something.... Double or Nothing was really loving great!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Drakkel posted:

The problem is we all know that's not going to going to happen.

I'm willing to be a bit worried, but not flat-out dismissive at this point.

also,

Rarity posted:

It sounds like your problem is with the women's division booking and not with Britt

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Drakkel posted:

Obviously AEW has limitations. TNT reportedly refuses to give the women any more screen time, so when they're basically limited to only devoting 10 minutes a week to the entire division they just focus on the one woman whose mega over.

What report did you extrapolate that from?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If the women only get ten minutes a week why are so many of their matches over 10 minutes long? :thunkher:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

If the women only get ten minutes a week why are so many of their matches over 10 minutes long? :thunkher:

It's a trick, they use mirrors

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cody rhodes

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Drakkel posted:

The problem is we all know that's not going to going to happen. Britt Baker is basically the only woman in the company who can ever have a storyline or even speak basically. Besides Brandi, but she's not here anymore.

That's why it's kind of depressing that the Baker Coronation was such a foregone conclusion. It was never a story about Shida vs Britt, it was the story of Britt getting the belt. The title could have been vacant for the past year for all the story cared.

I have nothing against Britt, I think it is really amazing how far she's come since AEW started and if they'd told a good story and built a solid division I'd have no problem with it. The problem is they didn't do either of those things. They have effectively a one-woman division where Britt is the only woman that matters, and the rest of the women just exist to be bested by her.

My worry is it just turns into another version of Shida's run where have maybe 2 or 3 big matches they can do (Maybe Tay, maybe Riho, maybe Statlander?) but again every single one of those feuds is gonna be a foregone conclusion and once those are done what else have they got? A division full of Dark level talent that have never been treated as competitors to the people Britt will have beaten by then. Obviously she'll get 100 times as many promos as Shida or Riho or Nyla ever did, but how long can that sustain a champion? Thunder Rosa is the most obvious babyface to dethrone Britt, but she won't be free to join AEW officially until 2022 at the earliest so basically this just guarantees Baker is gonna be spinning wheels for at least 6 or 7 months because they just refuse to build anyone else.

Obviously AEW has limitations. TNT reportedly refuses to give the women any more screen time, so when they're basically limited to only devoting 10 minutes a week to the entire division they just focus on the one woman whose mega over. Maybe Rampage will help alleviate the problem and give them time to actually build some characters who can stand up to Britt, but I'll believe it when I see it frankly.

I agree, the Britt Baker reign that started about eight hours ago is obviously doomed due to all these things that haven't happened yet. Nothing ever changes, and obviously AEW have no interest in building up anyone in the women's division.

Sorry, Leyla who? Red who? Tay who? Jade who? These are just names to me.

I'm being flippant here, of course, and I would dearly love AEW to devote more time to the women's division, but the idea that it's this unsaveable wreck that's permanently in the doldrums is a year out of date at this point.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 31, 2021

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I really like the wrestling parts of AEW’s battle royales, but they really have to lose the 5 second of the timer hitting zero, playing a silent card animation, waiting a beat and then hitting music.

Also, that pop Max Caster got felt very vindicating to me, a person who likes the Acclaimed. I do wish JR would stop trying to connect Pillman being over directly to the documentary episode about his dead dad.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Drakkel posted:

shut up and go to hell!!!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

It's a trick, they use mirrors

“The American Nightmare” Pepper’s Ghost

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

And here's the dumbest thought I had during the pay per view. Was Wardlow getting an icicle as a weapon and someone on commentary saying "He's got an icicle" a convoluted Dusty Rhodes reference, or have I just not had enough sleep?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I really like the wrestling parts of AEW’s battle royales, but they really have to lose the 5 second of the timer hitting zero, playing a silent card animation, waiting a beat and then hitting music.

It's so they can give the people in the ring time to finish their spot before doing the entrance, it's how they cheat having a "legit" countdown on-screen the whole way through

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

orange cassidy should have won

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lamuella posted:

And here's the dumbest thought I had during the pay per view. Was Wardlow getting an icicle as a weapon and someone on commentary saying "He's got an icicle" a convoluted Dusty Rhodes reference, or have I just not had enough sleep?

… oh god

OH GOD

I’m going to pretend it was even if it wasn’t

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lamuella posted:

it was exactly that and it ruled

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

orange cassidy should have won

i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

I agree, the Britt Baker reign that started about eight hours ago is obviously doomed due to all these things that haven't happened yet. Nothing ever changes, and obviously AEW have no interest in building up anyone in the women's division.

Sorry, Leyla who? Red who? Tay who? Jade who? These are just names to me.

I'm being flippant here, of course, and I would dearly love AEW to devote more time to the women's division, but the idea that it's this unsaveable wreck that's permanently in the doldrums is a year out of date at this point.

The actual reason to critique the AEW women's division is the Japanese half of the title challenger Tournament should have lasted much longer and Aniki should have won the title and gone undefeated for the next 18 months because she rules.