Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Yea i'm just skipping the quiet year stuff, really isnt for me. I've said it before itt but it really seems like something that's super fun and engaging to do if you're the actual players, to build the world you'll be roleplaying in, but to me it's fairly boring to listen to. But yea i'll pick up once they start playing some DnD. Just hopefully skipping that wont make the actual show confusing. It's why I like the more organic evolving story telling from the start of Balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Theoretically this will also let PCs substitute background knowledge for history checks. So when they come across the broken bathysphere belonging to Fineas Cawl (or whatever the spelling is), one of the PCs can infuse the situation with appropriate drama instead of rolling a 2 on a history check and Griffin going “that name seems familiar but you should have paid better attention in school.”

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
No Justin on the besties this week, holy crap what a opening segment.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's fine, its just five(ish?) episodes, I was just carrying on a conversation that stemmed from someone asking why listen if you're not enjoying it. Thought I'd put forth an idea that would improve the Adventure Zone Podcast, probably a lovely one, but hey this is SA, it's just another one for the pile. I promise I'm not going to come in here and complain every two weeks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm just in a world where radio raheem just follows me around all day and plays episodes 1-3 of the adventure zone ether sea the quiet year on a giant boom box and despite telling him to turn it down he won't

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Clint literally has a gun to my head and is forcing me to go through the entire Adventure Zone catalog while you babies complain about a future scenario that only exists in your imagination forcing you to listen to TAZ.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jealous

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Acute Grill posted:

Clint literally has a gun to my head and is forcing me to go through the entire Adventure Zone catalog while you babies complain about a future scenario that only exists in your imagination forcing you to listen to TAZ.

Mint ClcElroy strikes again!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And the McElroy's name is Crounkdrollan

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Joshie's Basilisk

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I'm not listening right now because it just did not make for good work audio. I usually have podcasts on as bg noise more than anything so actual lore building important sounding stuff does not work for me there. It just all gets lost in my brain and I forget what happened haha. I'll probably listen once the actual campaign starts though.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Yea I'm not listening right now because it just did not make for good work audio. I usually have podcasts on as bg noise more than anything so actual lore building important sounding stuff does not work for me there. It just all gets lost in my brain and I forget what happened haha. I'll probably listen once the actual campaign starts though.

Tbf I feel that way about every DND podcast. If I try to listen to them while working I just end up having to rewind it a lot cause I missed something

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Tbf I feel that way about every DND podcast. If I try to listen to them while working I just end up having to rewind it a lot cause I missed something

I definitely feel that. To be honest, I might end up listening to TAZ outside of my normal work time for this reason.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I am digging the quiet year stuff more and more. It feels like they’re actually just playing a game again for the first time since like, petals to the metal They’re also slowly making it funnier as they go, which rules. Justin’s shark combat school got a big laugh out of me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like the creative fun they're having, nice to just hear some people come up with a story without real "mechanics".

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Justin just putting out there "look we need some dipshits" is perfection.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah I'm picturing like two years from now, during the finale, our heroes are about to lose, only to be saved by the psychic soldiers.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Justin just putting out there "look we need some dipshits" is perfection.

This is the part of TAZ that has been missing, and I hope Justin continues. TAZ needs a dipshit on the main cast, and they all played the role a bit during balance. I don't know if travis and Clint have caught on as much, but Justin doing the "Taako turns left" part is a bit tedious, but it helps fight against the narrative for comedy. The funniest parts of Balance weren't when they all played along, it was loving with Griffin as the DM. TAZ isn't a holy storytelling device they should all gel with, they should make their own stories against Griffin's plans and their other characters

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Justin is 100% the best role player in the group, both for being true to his characters and creating good story moments because his characters do things that are not always the best mechanical option

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

My thinking is that they could do it Dark Souls style, where they build up this fully developed lore behind the scenes but there’s no big exposition dump for any of it, and then as they play they just discover the remnants of the old world as they go. Maybe that’s more tricky than it sounds but the way I imagine it playing out it doesn’t seem any more difficult than anything they’ve already done.

This is how I DM and I've only been doing it for like a year, and it's not that much harder if you like to write and can stay flexible. A year in and my players still only know like 5% of the lore of my world so far because I trickle it out as they find a new place or fight a new enemy. It also gives me a ton of wiggle room because I can change or shift things on the fly depending on where the party goes, since they don't know what goes where yet. I actually feel like what Griffin is doing is harder in some ways, because then he has to stick pretty rigidly to his setup once the full campaign starts. That's a good way to write yourself into a storytelling corner unless you're really meticulous about it. Maybe it works for him though. :shrug:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Justin is in the newest Max Fun Donor Bonus Feed episode. It's an episode of Triple Click, which I have never heard of, and they're talking about Portal.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Has anyone else noticed there's been a large uptick in Portal discussion lately, or am I The Number 23'ing myself?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sankara posted:

Has anyone else noticed there's been a large uptick in Portal discussion lately, or am I The Number 23'ing myself?

a fan-made expansion to Portal 2 came out like, a week ago

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Tears In A Vial posted:

It's an episode of Triple Click, which I have never heard of
I guess people really do lay into that 15 second skip button

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sankara posted:

JJ Abrams stated that he’s still working on a Portal movie

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Also I'm pretty sure it was recently the 10 year anniversary of Portal 2.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This is why I fell off of NADDPOD recently. I'll get distracted during one of Brian's "In this room, you see..." monologues. Ten minutes later I'm finished with my task and realize I have no idea what's going on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

a fan-made expansion to Portal 2 came out like, a week ago

Is that the one that adds the time portal? I wanted to check that out but I haven't been following it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The episode in which Griffin reveals he doesn't know "jet" is a kind of black mineral.

edit: obviously this is a innocuous and common thing, i'm not trying to cancel Griffin or whatever, guys

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

The episode in which Griffin reveals he doesn't know "jet" is a kind of black mineral.

edit: obviously this is a innocuous and common thing, i'm not trying to cancel Griffin or whatever, guys

does he at least know about the magazine

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

This is why I fell off of NADDPOD recently. I'll get distracted during one of Brian's "In this room, you see..." monologues. Ten minutes later I'm finished with my task and realize I have no idea what's going on.

I usually pick up half my listening comprehension with all the plot points I missed in the main ep listening to the short rest.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sticklefifer posted:

Is that the one that adds the time portal? I wanted to check that out but I haven't been following it.

Yes, it's out now. It's rough around the edges but I very much enjoyed it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pham Nuwen posted:

Isn't West Virginia coal country as well? Because jet is just fancy coal.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I didn’t know ebony was a kind of wood until like last week

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Sarah Z just uploaded a 2 hour video on how the "internet turned on the McElroys"

I'm assuming this is intentionally hyperbolic/clickbait. Kind of interested in watching but I have a paper due and if this is about some Twitter spat or that recent TAZ ad I won't be surprised

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That's an insanely discount vulfpeck song they played in whole

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Sarah Z just uploaded a 2 hour video on how the "internet turned on the McElroys"

I'm assuming this is intentionally hyperbolic/clickbait. Kind of interested in watching but I have a paper due and if this is about some Twitter spat or that recent TAZ ad I won't be surprised

I don't know who that is, is that a Lindsay Ellis wannabe

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The worst vibes of this thread, now in 2 hour video form! I will politely pass.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

“Passion Pit is touring with Modest Mouse?”

“Well, *a* mouse…”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Video isn't anything new to anyone here. She is obviously a fan and wants to support them, but points out various things that are super weird. Not worth the two hours if you already read this thread. The stuff about the MaxFunDrive near the end was pretty interesting, though.