Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Y'all I finally did it. I upgraded all the weapons needed for that trophy last night. I'm so proud of myself, I had spent like two weeks grinding and was this close to just giving up. Now all I have left is ending E, getting Kaine's upskirts (ugh), and then doing the 15 hour speedrun. I figure I can do all that no problem, but I have a quick question about running the speedrun after ending E: I know my save file gets un-deleted after E, but when I start a new file for the speedrun, will all my weapons and whatnot carry over? Or will it be a blank save file like I have for the beginning of my E run? I can do it either way, but the former will cut the speedrun down like 5 or so hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Y'all I finally did it. I upgraded all the weapons needed for that trophy last night. I'm so proud of myself, I had spent like two weeks grinding and was this close to just giving up. Now all I have left is ending E, getting Kaine's upskirts (ugh), and then doing the 15 hour speedrun. I figure I can do all that no problem, but I have a quick question about running the speedrun after ending E: I know my save file gets un-deleted after E, but when I start a new file for the speedrun, will all my weapons and whatnot carry over? Or will it be a blank save file like I have for the beginning of my E run? I can do it either way, but the former will cut the speedrun down like 5 or so hours.

The speed run will be a completely fresh file, and if you just stick it on easy you can do it in under 6 hours anyway.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My speedrun was around 7 hours and change but I spent some time doing side quests to buy & upgrade the Phoenix spear to almost max to balance out the final level since I'd be so underlevelled. Played on normal.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1397568756772126720?s=20

Got a lunar tear the very first time I tried for it. :yokotaro:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Starting Route B.

If it looks like a cutscene I've seen before can I safely skip

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Mostly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh... That's why (post-A) those shades drop schoolbooks and coloring books... :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Starting Route B.

If it looks like a cutscene I've seen before can I safely skip

Nah, tons of new content

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh... That's why (post-A) those shades drop schoolbooks and coloring books... :smith:

Yeah, the Nier games are pretty interesting in that you can pretty effectively obfuscate child murder/suicide ratings-wise by just making them not “technically” kids. Hey, at least you only killed a few kids that were lucid and passive, the rest that drew first blood already lost their minds!

...gently caress me nan, talking about Nier is depressing. :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's too bad everyone seems to hate the Barren Temple (the zelda desert dungeon, not the lost shrine you climb 4 times), it's quickly becoming one of my fav music tracks in the whole game

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

beep by grandpa posted:

It's too bad everyone seems to hate the Barren Temple (the zelda desert dungeon, not the lost shrine you climb 4 times), it's quickly becoming one of my fav music tracks in the whole game

Same, except the Junkheap. I get that the place gets p tedious especially if you're farming Memory Alloy, but Wretched Automatons is just so. loving. GOOD. I can't totally hate going back there when I know that I get to hear my favorite track.

I do really like the Barren Temple track too, it's just a shame that there's no reason to ever go back after Ending A.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vanrushal posted:

Same, except the Junkheap. I get that the place gets p tedious especially if you're farming Memory Alloy, but Wretched Automatons is just so. loving. GOOD. I can't totally hate going back there when I know that I get to hear my favorite track.

I do really like the Barren Temple track too, it's just a shame that there's no reason to ever go back after Ending A.

There's a couple sidequests that send you back there but yeah, it's weird that it never really comes up again in the second half. I would gladly have traded one or two of the lost shrine climbs for another romp through the temple.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's a couple sidequests that send you back there but yeah, it's weird that it never really comes up again in the second half. I would gladly have traded one or two of the lost shrine climbs for another romp through the temple.

It feels like the whole wolf thing should have involved the temple somehow. It's the only major location (I think) not to be revisited.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Now that I’m in the post-timeskip part of the game I have to say, it feels very on brand for Eve and Adult Nier to have the same voice actor. I almost wonder whether or not it was deliberate like Grimoire Noir/Pod.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doubleposting to say, umm, wow, I remember enough of the old LP to feel physically ill after my revisit to the first area. Automata was just a downer in general but killing what I’m pretty sure I remember are little kids while the grownups ineffectually flail away as this one guy and his friends mow them down feels real loving bad, man. Especially what I remember of the boss. gently caress, I don’t know if I have it in me to go through the ACTUAL B route. Actually playing this stuff feels different than reading an LP or watching a YouTube summary, you know?

Also on a brighter note it’s a really nice touch that Emil’s speech to Kaine autoscrolls despite nothing else in the game so far doing so.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a video game

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

stev posted:

It feels like the whole wolf thing should have involved the temple somehow. It's the only major location (I think) not to be revisited.

Would you say it got... Lost? :rimshot:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

Would you say it got... Lost? :rimshot:

Wrong location

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rolled credits on B.

So uh can I start skipping stuff now?

The new story stuff in B was really good but I ended up sitting through a lot of scenes that were unchanged, and the design of "you can't do damage until the dialogue is done" got annoying lol

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Rolled credits on B.

So uh can I start skipping stuff now?

The new story stuff in B was really good but I ended up sitting through a lot of scenes that were unchanged, and the design of "you can't do damage until the dialogue is done" got annoying lol

Yes, the new stuff is "unskippable" in that it's dialogue boxes you have to click through, you'll see. Also there is an alternate cutscene after the shipwreck part. And on your third play-through, a fully charged Dark Lance attack should be enough to wreck that unholy abomination's poo poo when she's charging up her blast for a slightly different (and faster!) ending to the battle

And yes, the dialogue thing is kind of annoyingly funny, especially on your 3rd or 4th play-through (I'm a fanboy so I didn't do the C/D save trick) when you hit them like 30x during them talking and then suddenly one hit drops 60% of their health.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 30, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It makes the boss speed kill trophies a pain in the arse

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It makes the boss speed kill trophies a pain in the arse

Not really, if you’re getting their health down fast enough that you get stonewalled by the dialogue you’re killing them plenty fast enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well it felt annoying :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And that's Route C done.

I did it all in one evening, took 4 hours skipping through most of it (except for the end of Junk Heap... Beepy :smith: ). It's late and I don't want to do the same exact thing right away even though it's not too long.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be done with this...?

I have enjoyed it even though I think the repetitiveness is a significant weakness and I can see how they fixed it for Automata which didn't really bother me, where there even repeating the same quests and story beats had significant changes as opposed to literally the same thing.

I probably would have tried to platinum this except for seeing the weapons and lightspeed fighter trophies lol, I probably shouldn't have bothered doing all the sidequests (growing the Lunar tear was satisfying though)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just a heads up to something that only comes up through supplemental material iirc Beepy is the robot that’s alluded to in Automata that gives the machines their sentience, or at least I think that’s how it goes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Wrong location

:downsrim:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Oh dang, pausing doesn't pause the speedrun timer. Guess I'm not playing in between calls at work anymore. At least I'm doing really well in my speedrun though, I'm just under an hour in and am headed to the Seafront now. I am going to make 15 hours easy as long as I don't get distracted and have to pause for extended periods.

Also I got curious and looked up the world record speedruns. Easy is at three hours and 11 minutes. There's no way I'm getting ANYWHERE close to that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It took me about 5 hours and 52 minutes busting my rear end

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh dang, pausing doesn't pause the speedrun timer. Guess I'm not playing in between calls at work anymore. At least I'm doing really well in my speedrun though, I'm just under an hour in and am headed to the Seafront now. I am going to make 15 hours easy as long as I don't get distracted and have to pause for extended periods.

Also I got curious and looked up the world record speedruns. Easy is at three hours and 11 minutes. There's no way I'm getting ANYWHERE close to that.

Not sure what platform you're playing on but if it's console just put it into rest mode instead of pausing

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Not sure what platform you're playing on but if it's console just put it into rest mode instead of pausing

I do when I'm done for the day, but with how I've been playing it's really not a feasible replacement for extended pausing. Like I've been doing this run between call at work, so it's mostly 'play some, get a call, pause for ~5 minutes to take it, play some more, pause ~5min or so to reply to an email, play some more, etc'. Those five minute breaks are good for pausing, but not so good to put the PS5 in rest mode, close the remote app, do my thing, re-open the app, reconnect to the PS5 (and that always takes two tries for some reason), and then resuming.

It's cool, I'll just do something else at work and do this speedrun when I'm off. It won't take me more than a few days anyway so I'm not worried about it and the speedrun is all I have left before the Platinum.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

I do when I'm done for the day, but with how I've been playing it's really not a feasible replacement for extended pausing. Like I've been doing this run between call at work, so it's mostly 'play some, get a call, pause for ~5 minutes to take it, play some more, pause ~5min or so to reply to an email, play some more, etc'. Those five minute breaks are good for pausing, but not so good to put the PS5 in rest mode, close the remote app, do my thing, re-open the app, reconnect to the PS5 (and that always takes two tries for some reason), and then resuming.

It's cool, I'll just do something else at work and do this speedrun when I'm off. It won't take me more than a few days anyway so I'm not worried about it and the speedrun is all I have left before the Platinum.

Dumping the game back to the console menu should also pause the timer I think, just press the ps button.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just finished ending E in Automata and I can't recall. Did the credit song always have a chorus at the peak near the end or just that version to reflect what's going on in the minigame.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

it comes in when you do the thing

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The chorus is the people who made the game! :3:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I finished this game yesterday, it was absolutely wonderful and beautiful

at certain points there were choices to be made and I'm wondering what (if anything) is different if you pick differently?

specifically:

you're given a choice to go to Pascal's village or not in Route A. In Popola and Devola's past story there are a couple of choices about what to do/say. In Route C A2 has the choice to kill Pascal!? I'm thinking maybe that one ends in a game over lol. There may have been more that I don't remember

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

at certain points there were choices to be made and I'm wondering what (if anything) is different if you pick differently?

specifically:

you're given a choice to go to Pascal's village or not in Route A. In Popola and Devola's past story there are a couple of choices about what to do/say. In Route C A2 has the choice to kill Pascal!? I'm thinking maybe that one ends in a game over lol. There may have been more that I don't remember

It’s not a game over, for Route C if you wipe his memory I believe he shows up briefly in the route D ending, if you kill him or walk away without wiping his memory you see his empty spot at the village instead and his bio in the database updates to say he was never seen again

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s not a game over, for Route C if you wipe his memory I believe he shows up briefly in the route D ending, if you kill him or walk away without wiping his memory you see his empty spot at the village instead and his bio in the database updates to say he was never seen again

There's a chance to kill him earlier. If you have A2 do it, it unlocks another ending.

Generally, making a "wrong" choice gets a new ending.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Paperhouse posted:

specifically:

The Devola/Popola choices just get you slightly different narration, with one option leading to a repeat of the infamous "No one stops" line from the first game.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

just finished replicant and I have some questions. i'm sure it's all been discussed but who reads threads?

(if any of this is stuff you find out in automata just say so)

- what is the black scrawl? does it have anything to do with anything else in the overall plot?
- are the prologue nier/yonah replicants or humans? I guess they're replicants since there are already shades around right?
- what is kaine's "mutant body"? is she a hermaphrodite? is that the "in universe" reason for her...excessive femininity?

and more meta relating to the original version of the game

- was the "memory tree" always a memory tree implying ending E may have been planned?
- were you so slow in the original version that the "fast travel" options in facade and the desert were actually useful :) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cool av posted:

just finished replicant and I have some questions. i'm sure it's all been discussed but who reads threads?

(if any of this is stuff you find out in automata just say so)

- what is the black scrawl? does it have anything to do with anything else in the overall plot?
- are the prologue nier/yonah replicants or humans? I guess they're replicants since there are already shades around right?
- what is kaine's "mutant body"? is she a hermaphrodite? is that the "in universe" reason for her...excessive femininity?

and more meta relating to the original version of the game

- was the "memory tree" always a memory tree implying ending E may have been planned?
- were you so slow in the original version that the "fast travel" options in facade and the desert were actually useful :) ?

Answering only the questions I have answers to (or that I think I do):

Humans. The Gestalt project started before him and the events of the game, but the catch is that every time they tried to separate the soul from the body, the gestalt "relapsed" which basically means they went feral and started attacking people and replicants indiscriminately--these are the shades that you fight in the prologue. The significance of Nier is that he's the first instance of the project successfully separating the soul from the body without a relapse occurring--this happens in between the prologue and the beginning of the main game, creating the shadowlord.

Kaine is intersex and has a penis, yeah. I understood this to be what she's referring to when she says "mutant body", especially based on the text adventures you get at the beginning of route B which make it clear that this was a source of trauma from her youth, but it's possible it's a bit ambiguous; she is also possessed by a shade (and I think maybe her bandaged limbs are shadow limbs?), so it could be referring to that, but I'm pretty sure it's the former. I'm still not 100% sure why she fights in lingerie besides "video games" or to give her and weiss something to argue about though

It's been ages since I played the original game, but I'm pretty sure that the only new plot stuff revolving around the tree appears in Ending E, and so much of that is referential to automata (aesthetically, anyway) so I feel like that part of it probably wasn't planned from the original game, but honestly who knows, Yoko Taro can be pretty coy and inscrutable. Did he have the entire Nier universe planned when he sent the god and the dragon to Tokyo in Drakengard? He'll never tell