Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ouuuuuwhat is up guys, sammygamer 429 here, and today we're going to talk about Dark Souls. Specifically, we're going to talk about where to find the Doll that will let you into the Painted World. Now, as you know, Dark Souls is a game that is filled with items [0:30 of 12:45]

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Me: How do I get past this locked door

YouTube: HEY AND WELCOME BACK ALL EPIC GAMERS! Now I'm sure you are all excited to see the crazy items you can find in this game but first let me tell you about Squarespace... <5 minutes later> Ok and for this last one you can't open this door until you complete the main quest where your dad betrays you and kills your best friend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Still the most popular video Giantbomb.com has ever published

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVtKfg8T7ro

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Pwnstar posted:

Me: How do I get past this locked door

YouTube: HEY AND WELCOME BACK ALL EPIC GAMERS! Now I'm sure you are all excited to see the crazy items you can find in this game but first let me tell you about Squarespace... <5 minutes later> Ok and for this last one you can't open this door until you complete the main quest where your dad betrays you and kills your best friend.

I did use Salvia Erik's NordVPN discount code so not all YouTube advertising is bad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I say, having released a 45-minute video about Nier Automata's combat system four years ago from which I still get subscribers and comments asking when I'm making another video to this day

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I still use Gamefaqs for things. I’m glad it still exists

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only YouTube videos I watch are the occasional speedrun. Especially Fire Emblem ones as they help me see some possible strategies I probably never would have tried otherwise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I say, having released a 45-minute video about Nier Automata's combat system four years ago from which I still get subscribers and comments asking when I'm making another video to this day

Your next video is going to be amazing if you've been working on it for four years!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Im still using PS2 spreadsheets with Nocturne HD just so I dont have to deal with all these websites that have one unique webpage dedicated to every question a human could possibly conceive of

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I did use Salvia Erik's NordVPN discount code so not all YouTube advertising is bad

I mean how else are you gonna stay up to date on Nobbleberry

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
while they definitely aren't my first resort, i do appreciate youtube for rom hacks. there won't be any written information about the game you're playing but there will definitely be some poor dweeb with 12 subscribers who's played through the whole thing

Walla posted:

I don't want any food dedicated to 9/11. That's just weird.

*quietly puts away my two cans of easy cheese*

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Somewhat on FAQ topic. I've been making retro game maps and videos I've been sharing around the forums partially because I originally wanted to see how much of a game I could summarize in one map/as succinct a set of images as possible, always hated the "maximum video length/word count" disease. Unfortunately it's only been retro PS1 games so far so there isn't a big audience for it. Agree that when it comes to guides/walkthroughs, videos aren't my favorite. Hate when I have 90/100 collectibles in a game and go to find a guide and can only find "all 100 things!" youtube videos instead of a more useful pictorial checklist or whatever.

The first ones I made when I was disappointed in what I found online for GTA3 packages and such, to try and make a checklist you could reasonably use from a single image without requiring notes necessarily:
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III/Hidden_Packages
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III/Rampages
https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III/Unique_Stunt_Jumps
...which tend to be the opposite of what printed strategy guides became in the later years, where a fat page count mattered more than efficient presentation so you would have to flip through 20 pages to see everything or whatever.

I've considered making a thread about the stuff I've made so far to see if others enjoy such things, the VGMaps forum is pretty dead and there aren't other communities I've found beyond the StrategyWiki discord that talk about guides/infographics/etc. for non-new games. I've made those things for my own enjoyment for years and it's been fun sharing them, but it would be nice to find more people to engage with beyond random twitter likes from the fan community of whatever game I'm working on. A lot of it boils down to collating information about classic games that exists in distributed form (code analysis, data dumps, texture rips, etc.) into one place where someone could easily interpret it all.

The best guides are those gamefaqs "spoiler free" guides that are just like "1. Go to here 2. Go to here 3. the end" with no commentary or cruft. That's my ideal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been thinking about how I wish I could sell my Steam account and start completely over again. I guess technically you can, but it sounds like it would be a huge pain in the rear end, and carry a lot of risk with it. Plus my account is worth like $10,000 or more.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Infinitum posted:

We have four seasons in one day around here, but it's usually lying in the depths of my imagination.

Anyway I'm restarting my Yakuza 1-6 playthrough as my save got boned transferring from the PS4 to the PS5. Just made it to this scene :

:allears:

Kiryu is what John Wick wishes he could be.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

mara is an absolute unit, but not in the pet way

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ouuuuuwhat is up guys, sammygamer 429 here, and today we're going to talk about Dark Souls. Specifically, we're going to talk about where to find the Doll that will let you into the Painted World. Now, as you know, Dark Souls is a game that is filled with items [0:30 of 12:45]

youtube.com/trends/articles/hey-guys/

(Can't make it a link because the forums think it's a video)

Top 5 gaming vlog greetings in 2020: "Hey guys", "What's up", "All right", "What's going on" and "Welcome back"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zil posted:

Kiryu is what John Wick wishes he could be.

Kiryu is able to shoot someone repeatedly without them dying (because he never kills), this seems more skillful than John

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I said come in! posted:

I've been thinking about how I wish I could sell my Steam account and start completely over again. I guess technically you can, but it sounds like it would be a huge pain in the rear end, and carry a lot of risk with it. Plus my account is worth like $10,000 or more.

Steam Backlog any%

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ErrEff posted:

youtube.com/trends/articles/hey-guys/

(Can't make it a link because the forums think it's a video)

Top 5 gaming vlog greetings in 2020: "Hey guys", "What's up", "All right", "What's going on" and "Welcome back"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
U ever just think about how weird u are

Like I'm sitting here thinking about how it's actually really hosed up that my entire adult life I've refused to ever own more than one bag of chips at any time

Yes I'm stoned shut up

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Booky posted:

mara is an absolute unit, but not in the pet way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

U ever just think about how weird u are

Like I'm sitting here thinking about how it's actually really hosed up that my entire adult life I've refused to ever own more than one bag of chips at any time

Yes I'm stoned shut up

If we're talking about full-sized bags I think I've had max of 4 bags (stocking up on Buffalo Wing-style chips when I thought they were going away)

Usually I have two, one potato and one tortilla

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm the same with like... everything. Ice cream, cheese, veggie burgers, whatever. I only ever can allow myself to have one at a time and can't buy another until I finish all of it

In other words, the literal opposite of my approach to video games :j:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I mostly think about how useless and broke I am.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think about... jet fuel? But the beams were steel...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Someone messaged me on reddit randomly wanting to buy my Steam account because I had some rare skin for Awesomenauts from their kickstarter. They didn't offer a price but asked me to come up with one and dipped out when I said I was gonna want them to pay for every game on my account.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a general thread for talking about vr games and whats shite and whats cool and stuff for a newbie?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there's a VR Megathread, post your name and number and they'll call you at all hours of the day and night to talk about the cool VR games
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s also a separate PlayStation VR thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Khanstant posted:

there's a VR Megathread, post your name and number and they'll call you at all hours of the day and night to talk about the cool VR games
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

Thanks this is perfect hot VR singles are already in my area!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

that's a very attractive monkey

Please make this the June thread title.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Edf world brothers is great.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Someone mentioned Craftopia like, maybe a month ago or something and I just thought of it again so I decided to check back in and see what it's like now that its been nine months since release. Basically all my my complaints remain the same - game is full of Unity asset store models so everything looks stylistically inconsistent, and also the MKB controls feel real janky. It seems like all the dev time has gone the route of just adding more and more stuff - the most recent update added in pets and new weapon types. The game is more akin to Terraria (gather unique weapons and loot to fight more powerful bosses in dungeons) than the other home-building games like Minecraft. I played a few hours on release and decided I wanted to wait for them to finish it up and fix all the jank, but if this is the approach they're going for maybe I just play it now and get my fill and then drop it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

:same:

I do resort to YouTube when instructions on finding hidden items or progression is unclear though.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

exquisite tea posted:

The best games journalism these days is mostly being done by youtube hobbyists as retrospectives on some random crap like the history of Silent Hill 2 ports lead down an entire path of discovery about the confluence of proprietary hardware, technology and commerce.

My favorite SH2 video was a history of speedrunning it, and how a random person dropping into random speedrun streams and telling the solutions to RNG puzzles got the community to reverse engineer the RNG.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
GameFAQs is.....good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

game eff ay cues, or game facks

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

game eff ay cues, or game facks

game focks

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Show me the GameFax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
American McGee's Scrapland is a game that exists.

Now that I've gotten that part out of the way, let's all remember the best thing about Scrapland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ikMcHyyNMU