Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SlothBear posted:

I just want a warhammer online remake from a moderately competent developer. Is that so much to ask?

Age of Reckoning is run by an infinitely more competent developer lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

jokes posted:

Age of Reckoning is run by an infinitely more competent developer lol

Yeah but the base jankiness of the game is still pretty overwhelming. I was dreaming of a remake from the ground up with a more active/GW2ish combat system, but with body blocking and zerg-busting mechanics and those cool rvr maps and the thematically badass warhammer classes.

Oh and also with Skaven as a legit third faction.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SlothBear posted:

Yeah but the base jankiness of the game is still pretty overwhelming. I was dreaming of a remake from the ground up with a more active/GW2ish combat system, but with body blocking and zerg-busting mechanics and those cool rvr maps and the thematically badass warhammer classes.

Oh and also with Skaven as a legit third faction.

Camelot Unchained ended up being a scam, so we won't get this anymore. :/

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

I said come in! posted:

I originally thought this was the most likely of the kickstarter MMOs to succeed, but it seems pretty obvious now it was Matt Firor, not Jacobs, who was the key person behind DAoC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help I’ve rediscovered MapleStory and its brand of grinding is still addictive decades later.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Help I’ve rediscovered MapleStory and its brand of grinding is still addictive decades later.

Fool, fool! Get out while you still can!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Relapses are always sad to see.

I say as I wait for EverQuest to finish downloading

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Remember how after Shiny shat the bed and died, Dave Perry started up some company to bring KMMOs across except they changed all the dialogue to be MATURE AND DARK which basically amounted to tutorial NPCs calling you a cumstain

2moons, I think it was

Anyway 2moons2

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think I just want minecraft but with the graphical fidelity & character model quality of black desert online.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I think I just want minecraft but with the graphical fidelity & character model quality of black desert online.

sick custom title lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

sick custom title lol

The best titles are the ones someone else pays for. This is one of the longer ones.
(doesn't look as good in dark mode though but free is free)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

kirbysuperstar posted:

Remember how after Shiny shat the bed and died, Dave Perry started up some company to bring KMMOs across except they changed all the dialogue to be MATURE AND DARK which basically amounted to tutorial NPCs calling you a cumstain

2moons, I think it was

Anyway 2moons2

I used to grind the poo poo out of this game before big titty anime girls were cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Neocron is still around (player run) and has a pretty decent population at the moment. I was playing recently until I realized I liked planning builds and getting items more than actually playing the game. It is desperately in need of a remake (which will never happen) because once you get to the pvp part, it kind of sucks all the joy out for me. Unless you've been playing forever and are used to the aim based jank, you're going to get destroyed. It's too bad because remaking it, or any Sci-Fi mmo in it's style in the unreal engine would be good fun.

I deleted all my characters because I don't have hours to waste on something that I won't enjoy, anymore. The endgame content is there, surely. However, the engine really holds me back. Meanwhile, I can still play and enjoy DAoC phoenix because the pvp/rvr is smooth and rewarding.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

That can't be true because they emailed me four times on Friday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Neocron is still around (player run) and has a pretty decent population at the moment. I was playing recently until I realized I liked planning builds and getting items more than actually playing the game. It is desperately in need of a remake (which will never happen) because once you get to the pvp part, it kind of sucks all the joy out for me. Unless you've been playing forever and are used to the aim based jank, you're going to get destroyed. It's too bad because remaking it, or any Sci-Fi mmo in it's style in the unreal engine would be good fun.

I deleted all my characters because I don't have hours to waste on something that I won't enjoy, anymore. The endgame content is there, surely. However, the engine really holds me back. Meanwhile, I can still play and enjoy DAoC phoenix because the pvp/rvr is smooth and rewarding.

We might eventually get Cyberpunk Online, but after how poorly CP77 was received i'm not so sure anymore about that happening.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Speaking of relapses, I'm playing EQ2 again for some reason. There's something to this game that makes it always feel like a missed opportunity.

Is this what we will be doing for the next 20 years? Replaying the same MMOs over and over again?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

aren’t the EVE devs doing that cyberpunk online thing? or was it a world of darkness mmo

vampire spreadsheets could be ok

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

wolfs posted:

aren’t the EVE devs doing that cyberpunk online thing? or was it a world of darkness mmo

vampire spreadsheets could be ok

Vampire spreadsheets died long ago. Every time CCP try and do something other than EVE, they gently caress it up. Or so it seems.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, they gently caress up eve plenty too, it's just that there's nothing else like it on the market so what else are you gonna do if you want to blow up expensive internet spaceships

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

ngl I still sometimes feel the urge to go back every once in awhile. The super simple but ridiculous looking area clearing skills are just so fun

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Aion/status/1397945804640325636?s=20

Looks like Aion Classic will be getting a western launch. It's been super popular in Korea.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Modern day Aion is not fun to play anymore, and the problem with it is that its a aged like spoil milk issue. So going back to classic Aion won't fix this issue, it'll just make it worst.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'm stunned Aion exists at all in 2021.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

What has changed in modern Aion to make Classic so appealing? I played Aion at launch and gave up halfway to level cap as it was just another fairly generic KMMO who's only gimmick was (very) limited flight.

Or is there now a trend of MMO devs/publishers copying WoW again without realizing what works for WoW may not work for their game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MH Knights posted:

Or is there now a trend of MMO devs/publishers copying WoW again without realizing what works for WoW may not work for their game?

It's this.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Aion was a pretty game and that was about it. The faction pvp was ill conceived and resulted more in higher leveled groups ganking mid to low level groups in their zones, and there weren't enough quests to fill out every level so you just had to mob grind for some levels.

The icing on the cake was the intrusive cheat prevention that didn't work. The game trusted the client to calculate flight time, so you could have infinite flight just from messing with your system clock.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

MH Knights posted:

What has changed in modern Aion to make Classic so appealing? I played Aion at launch and gave up halfway to level cap as it was just another fairly generic KMMO who's only gimmick was (very) limited flight.

I think it is the second combined but for Aion apparently it worked in Korea already because they actually removed content with patches, as in they streamlined leveling so they removed quests and zones or something. So the classic version brings that content back.

"Aion more than doubled its revenues from its low point in 2020, almost entirely, NCsoft says, due to the launch of Aion Classic."

https://massivelyop.com/2021/02/08/ncsoft-q4-2020-aion-classic-was-a-huge-success-guild-wars-2-improves-on-2019/

I am pretty sure this is just temporary though, people might enjoy it for a few months but then you need some kind of progression. But it will probably NCsoft some money. Personally I leveled to cap on launch and I can barely remember anything of this game, which means it wasn't as poo poo as Age of Conan was for example, but it was also not good. So I don't see any reason to get into classic Aion.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I played current Aion for all of about 20 minutes recently and it was potentially the blandest, most boring mmo I’ve ever touched.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

kedo posted:

I played current Aion for all of about 20 minutes recently and it was potentially the blandest, most boring mmo I’ve ever touched.

Same as it ever was. I remember telling my friends it looked like poo poo before it came out because I’m a genius obviously and of course I was right and they quit shortly after wasting their hard earned real American Greenbacks. Goon Power.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Things I remember about Aion - it's lineage 3, kinda; it had a violinist class that looked cool; one race had hairy backs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd argue Lineage 2 looked better than Aion, graphically. Art style too maybe. Doesn't really matter now in the modern day though.

No idea what happened to official Lineage 3 so I guess that was a dead end of video games. Project TL by NCSoft? Maybe. Closed beta was 2016 so I assume nothing went well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah I forgot that Bluehole stole some intended Lineage 3 assets lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

wolfs posted:

Neocron 2

Face of Mankind 2

Homeworld 3: Online

uh what else ...

Auto Assault 2

DarkSpace Rebooted

JumpGate Evolved

would a Discworld MMO just be a fantasy mmo with jokes and lovely wizards

Wasn't there already a Neocron 2? Or was that just what they called the relaunch?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Speaking of reinstalling EverQuest, has this been mentioned yet? https://evercraftonline.com/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sachant posted:

Speaking of reinstalling EverQuest, has this been mentioned yet? https://evercraftonline.com/

I like the idea of it, but the original copyright date of 2016 and them only being in the pre-alpha stage has me a bit concerned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just play p1999

Its the best mmo we'll get

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that Bluehole stole some intended Lineage 3 assets lol

Wait whaaat?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Just play p1999

everquest has always sucked and is for carebears and n00bs. just imo of course. also ive been having this flame war for 20 yrs. :tipshat:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Just play p1999TAKP

fixed that for you :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Xun posted:

Wait whaaat?

Certain high ranking members of the TERA team (Bluehole Studio) had come from the canceled Lineage 3 and stole assets, including things like lore and maps, on their way out. NCSoft sued and won the case.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoa6UZ6iM9Q