Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIeavntc5U

It's been like four months, but kiwami japan is back to make another knife out of an unusual material (chocolate and silver cation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Friends should have been called N.A.K.A.M.A.S.

Ehem, excuse me, but Nakama does NOT translate directly into "Friend", it's actually a very nuanced and complicated word that has no direct English equivalent, you see-

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

this song is the only thing I know about Friends
sadly 4kids had to censor all the black guys in one piece

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

One Piece has over 900 episodes and that's just too many IMO

i have trouble finishing 13 episode shows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the one piece anime is not a very good adaptation. just read 80 volumes of comics instead. hold on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIeavntc5U

It's been like four months, but kiwami japan is back to make another knife out of an unusual material (chocolate and silver cation).

I think a problem with this channel is how it is kind of running out of obvious things to do so the builds are getting more esoteric which also means there are a lot of steps where you're just left in the cold as to why they had to happen or what they're actually doing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

tbf the one piece anime is not a very good adaptation. just read 80 volumes of comics instead. hold on.
i mean honestly I don't really care about shonen anime anyway so it could've been 100 episodes and i'd still say no

i'd watch 100 episodes of yona of the dawn but no one bought the blurays of that so instead it just ends as soon as the final cast member is added

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

The "Big 3" is specifically a Shonen Jump thing and AoT didn't run in Shonen Jump and Durarara was originally a Light Novel.

Oh whoops, I really bumbled this conversation up then.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The only Big anime I care about is The Big O.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roach Warehouse posted:

And action!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Roach Warehouse posted:

No one in this thread has ever had "the big O" :smugbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Stand in the name of god, ye not horny.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

No one in this thread has ever had "the big O" :smugbert:

Its not my fault men suck :v:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

Stand in the name of god, ye not horny.

I'm ace/aro, so I have never been horny :colbert: I just couldn't resist the burn lol

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sydin posted:

Ehem, excuse me, but Nakama does NOT translate directly into "Friend", it's actually a very nuanced and complicated word that has no direct English equivalent, you see-
The Squad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

the greatest anime industry story ive ever heard is the director of the big o being really obsessed with the fact that some random american anime industry guy had a big yard at his house, cause that isnt a thing at all in most japanese cities, you have to go really out into the sticks for people to have huge yards to themselves, so he asked to see his yard and it was like an old farmhouse so he had a tractor and everything so the director of the big o asked to ride his tractor, and then he got on it and yelled BIG TRACTOR, SHOWTIME and drove it around for like an hour.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Endorph posted:

the greatest anime industry story ive ever heard is the director of the big o being really obsessed with the fact that some random american anime industry guy had a big yard at his house, cause that isnt a thing at all in most japanese cities, you have to go really out into the sticks for people to have huge yards to themselves, so he asked to see his yard and it was like an old farmhouse so he had a tractor and everything so the director of the big o asked to ride his tractor, and then he got on it and yelled BIG TRACTOR, SHOWTIME and drove it around for like an hour.

lmfao that's amazing :allears:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This video about that one horror game Bendy has kept showing up in my recommendations all week now and I'm glad I finally clicked on it, because it actually answered something for me.

That the pile of unsold merchandise at Walmart for what I had assumed to just be another random horror game that just popped up out of nowhere one day was for the next game the Bendy devs worked on, but poo poo went down that the video talks about that eventually resulted in the game no longer being available to buy on Steam. It doesn't exist anymore. But the merch does.

There's still all that merch for the game that was/still is just sitting on those shelves at Walmarts everywhere.

A while back now, but I watched this video and ended up falling down a rabbit hole instead of sleeping like a well adjusted person.

Is there a particular term for these kind of DEEPEST LORE baiting games? The kinda properties that become popular less of what is substantively there in terms of plot and theme and experience, and more because nerds are just filling in the empty void by themselves with whatever Game Theory and its many imitators tell them fanon and declaring it a triumph?

Also lmao what a loving disaster of a studio lead. As always, Jim Sterling is right and the video game industry needs to be burned to the ground.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's called Five Nights at Freddies and it spawned the horror game lore craze.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'll at least give FNAF this, it at least waited until it was an actual phenomenon before going entirely up its own rear end with recursive, cyoa DEEPEST LORE and gouging on every form of merchandise known to man.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Endorph posted:

this kicks rear end

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://youtu.be/QlE23i_1B8M

The newest episode of bizarre podcast:dogs must die just uploaded and Ironicus seems to pop in on the thread when a new episode drops so I wanted to ask while I've got a chance (Well, it was uploaded when I posted it, I swear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq28o-R74A&t=4665s

At around 1:17:50 into episode 7 Chip and him are talking about annoying fandoms because Ironicus thought it was worse than just cooypasta-ing 'is that a Jojo reference?' when someone mentions Heirophant in a story, what was the other one? They never mentioned what the other fandom was based around.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 31, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zinkraptor posted:

I think we've kind of left behind the original point here, but we can at least say that both kinds of media are very popular and that claiming one kind is inherently more successful to the point where it should be a major factor in deciding what people write doesn't make sense.

Like even if One Piece isn't as popular worldwide as Friends, it's at least popular enough that it'd be weird to say "well Oda would be better off if he did something like Friends instead".

I would read a friends manga penned by Oda.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
which of the strawhat crew correspond to the friends cast

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Oh that Nami, she’s such a Monica.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Endorph posted:

Demon Slayer is way more popular than anything else in Japan right now. The movie's breaking box-office records and is on track to being the most financially successful japanese movie of all time, last I checked, and the manga's already in the top 10 of manga sales of all time despite having much less time to get there. Like it's already sold more than Bleach and that's with Bleach having been around since 2001 and having 3 times as many volumes. Kids in Japan are obsessed with Yaiba.

That said there isn't really a 'big 3' in shonen jump anymore, the manga industry and jump itself has changed too much for that kind of thinking to work. The big 3 era was born of specific economic and marketing circumstances, and just the fact that those three manga happened to all get big at the same time. Jump isn't as big as it used to be, and shonen manga from non-jump magazines are bigger than they used to be. And the manga industry is seeing bigger success from non-shonen action stuff. Plus you have to consider how big light novels, web novels, web manga, etc, are right now. The medium's diversified in terms of what gets big.

Like, One Piece is still running, do you count it as part of the current 'big 3?' But then you wind up with a 'big 3' that's like, One Piece, My Hero Academia, and Jujutsu Kaisen, and JJK is on a very differnet level than the other two. And what about Black Clover? And both Black Clover and MHA are kind of winding down. Heck, even One Piece probably only has a few more years left in it. Also, what about Chainsaw Man?

"Big 3" just isn't really applicable anymore.

big 3 has indeed been dead for a long time, but demon slayer is an absolutely weird and interesting case unto itself. the manga of demon slayer was pretty middling in popularity and sales until the anime aired. after the anime, it became insanely popular.

it sold so much because it sold years worth of manga in a short time. there was a time right after the anime ended all the volumes out of demon slayer (like 14? 15? at the time) were 1 through whatever on the bestsellers list. that was the first time one piece had dropped below like 3rd place in manga sales in 20 years as well lol.

personally id rather have manga that ends tho so I'm happy with good, popular things like chainsaw man and yaiba that eventually end rather than nart and bleach going forever and were obviously drawn out at points just cuz they were popular. one piece gets a pass cuz somehow it's as good now as it's ever been.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Endorph posted:

That's adorable.

SteelMentor posted:

I'll at least give FNAF this, it at least waited until it was an actual phenomenon before going entirely up its own rear end with recursive, cyoa DEEPEST LORE and gouging on every form of merchandise known to man.

There's always been some spooky background story stuff to it even in 1, but Scott Cawthon didn't really come into it dangling a bunch of hooks for youtubers is what puts it a lot ahead of everything else like it imo, if I remember right he was considering it like the last game he was gonna make or something, then it caught on super hard and he actually planned out more story. As much as you can be tired of the games/setting of them, he's absolutely put a lot effort into spinning it out and coming up with new things pretty much every game.

Also Demon Slayer's great and I'm happy that it blew up so much for the lady that made it. And that she didn't get corporate roped into drawing it out past what she wanted.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

so no-one told you life was gonna be this way
your life’s a joke, you’re broke, your love-life’s DOA
it’s like your always stuck in second gear
when it hasn’t been your day, your week, your month, or even your year but

i’ll be there for you (when the rain starts to pour)
i’ll be there for you (like i’ve been there before)
i’ll be there for you (cause you’re there for me too)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

That Friends derail is a really good touch the grass moment
no, there are still not that many adults watching anime globally, sorry, "normies" love sitcoms

Endorph posted:

Also, auxilliary to my post about 'big 3' shonen, but there's also the fact that shonen designed to be super long running isn't as common as it used to be. Yaiba only lasted a few years, and there's some signs it was rushed a bit at the end but even with that in mind I doubt it would have lasted more than, say, five years, the pieces were clearly in place for the climax. Jujutsu Kaisen's author has outright said he only wants it to run for a few years, not for a decade. MHA's winding down and it's 'only' been running for about 6-7 years, and My Hero Academia's the third oldest series currently running in Jump. Jump's more aggressive with cuts these days, and authors just don't seem as interested in making series that run for 15-20 years, the way Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto did.

Kubo burnout and the ongoing Togashi situation were a wake up call
Hit big, cash out before you start killing yourself

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

It remains a delight to me that the nakama definition became a Thing because the biggest fansubber group translating One Piece was just too lazy to care.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's called Five Nights at Freddies and it spawned the horror game lore craze.

It's funny we've had at least two movies definitely inspired by FFAF (the Nic Cage thing and the Banana Splits reboot thing) but the actual FFAF movie itself is in development hell despite being a very simple premise of animatronic jump scares.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

fatherboxx posted:

no, there are still not that many adults watching anime globally

[Citation Needed] real big nowadays.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

That Friends derail is a really good touch the grass moment
no, there are still not that many adults watching anime globally, sorry, "normies" love sitcoms

480 mill+volumes of one piece have been sold. over 20 years ago the friends finale was the 4th most watched thing with 51 mil. neither of these take into account pirating or streaming but im going to guess, again, the currently running and largest selling comic in the world for 20+ years is knocking the tits off a sitcom that ended in 2004.

e: this is why im constantly dying for streaming numbers lol. release them netflix!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Has one piece surpassed batman comics in total sales yet, it had eclipsed spiderman a while ago and the only two ahead of it in historical sales were batman and superman

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Xiran has a vid out on Korra.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

like, what the gently caress am i supposed to do with this info. incomprehensible.

i feel like, in my heart, they do this bc the numbers are bad

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Friends may have led to a popular haircut trend, but One Piece led to the development of a distinctive style of swimwear. It’s hard to say which has the greater legacy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bonaventure posted:

Friends may have led to a popular haircut trend, but One Piece led to the development of a distinctive style of swimwear. It’s hard to say which has the greater legacy

one piece invented rubber

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

one piece invented rubber

I can't believe Oda is responsible for Fordlandia smh

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fun hater posted:

like, what the gently caress am i supposed to do with this info. incomprehensible.

i feel like, in my heart, they do this bc the numbers are bad

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-nielsen-top-10-1234895616/

I mean, measuring streaming numbers is a bit of a mess but it's not like TV audience numbers are SUPER clear themselves (I can't find any straightforward numbers on OP's anime audience). However, I kinda feel that "competing with a breakout Xmas hit on streaming" isn't bad at all, especially considering it's not even an actual episode. Let's not forget that as middling as WW84 was, it'd still put out insane box office numbers if theaters were open when it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fun hater posted:

480 mill+volumes of one piece have been sold. over 20 years ago the friends finale was the 4th most watched thing with 51 mil. neither of these take into account pirating or streaming but im going to guess, again, the currently running and largest selling comic in the world for 20+ years is knocking the tits off a sitcom that ended in 2004.

e: this is why im constantly dying for streaming numbers lol. release them netflix!!
The numbers of 98 individual books do appear to be comparatively larger than those of a single broadcast.