Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One day….one day…Orange Cassidy IS going to win that title.

And the pop will be deafening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
PAC should've won the title in my heart, but in practicality I agree with what's probably going to happen which is that Adam Page will win it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

The actual reason to critique the AEW women's division is the Japanese half of the title challenger Tournament should have lasted much longer and Aniki should have won the title and gone undefeated for the next 18 months because she rules.

Entirely true

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But that's not how you spell VENY :thunkher:

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Gonz posted:

One day….one day…Orange Cassidy IS going to win that title.

And the pop will be deafening.

Then Chuck and Trent will come celebrate with him, carrying the tag belts they won from the Bucks earlier in the night.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

But that's not how you spell VENY :thunkher:

Asuka is the more prestigious Beyond The SEA champion and so cannot go to America, sorry

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Who's ready for some Elevation tonight! (no matches have been announced on twitter, i checked the hashtag and just found a person being rude to Britt Baker)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It's interesting looking at how certain AEW talent have evolved over the three installments of Double or Nothing.

- Kenny Omega goes from losing to Chris Jericho to leading his own team to crush Jericho's team to pretty much ruling over AEW with a variation of that team.

- Cody Rhodes proceeds to go over in a beloved match and his good will gradually depleted in the following two events.

- Sammy Guevara goes from losing the company's first match to decisively losing the main event of the second Double or Nothing to getting the big win in the main event of the third.

- Shawn Spears is simply there, going from battle royal fodder to comedy match loser to eating the pin in the Stadium Stampede. Similarly, Private Party go from battle royal to dark match losers to battle royal again.

- Orange Cassidy starts as a random entrant in the battle royal that the commentators barely get, has a somewhat more earnest showing (while still comedic) in the ladder match, then steps into the title picture.

- Pac spends two years away from the event due to various issues until being there as a title contender.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Really was an excellent show. It had it highs and lows for sure but ultimately it was a blast to watch. With that said, if AEW is gonna run 4.5 hour PPVs, they need to start at either 6 or 630 EST. I know it's a very old man complaint from me but unless you're on the west coast that show ended way too late.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

man Jungle Boy is such a loving star and that music is one of the smartest things AEW has ever done. That match with Kenny is going to be red hot

when guys like he and sammy and cassidy win the world title, those are going to be such legendary moments

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It took an injury and Luther literally dragging him kicking and screaming, but Serpentico made his PPV debut :3: From a goofy jobber that got paid to job twice in one night to a perfectly nice low-card guy who's main evented the 3 shows and showed up on PPV

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the things that makes AEW such an enjoyable experience to watch is that you really get the feeling that most of the Kenny-and-the-Bucks tier talent are just looking for opportunities to put younger guys over and have it mean something.

Even Cody, who has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to singles victories, clearly relishes the prospect of passing the torch to people like MJF.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

still loling

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1399172259454013444

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

don't post purple tully

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok folks I'm workshopping something here so just bear with me. How about Miro defending the TNT title against Brian Cage? :thunkher:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Ok folks I'm workshopping something here so just bear with me. How about Miro defending the TNT title against Brian Cage? :thunkher:

I'm listening...

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Good PPV! The last two matches were my favorite, though I am more partial to the first Stadium Stampede.

I feel like the weakest link for me, surprisingly, was the women's title. Im glad that Britt picked up the belt tho. I know Shida got a raw deal with picking up the title during quarantine, but I've always found her kinda inconsistent. Last night it was kinda rough, I feel like Shida never found her groove.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

cody rhodes

Frodo Chodes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Even though this had less content on the field and no horse, I actually liked this version of the stampede better. It felt like the perfect bridge between the cinematic era and the return to crowds both symbolically and practically and generally felt more focused on its aim to make Sammy the hero.

The worst thing was the prop pigs, which I will never understand AEW's insistence on putting a hat on a hat, but that's pretty minor.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Yeah I was wondering what the point of the fake half pigs were, that was funny. I do like how they're giving Sammy the rub, and I popped for DJ Konnan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Rewatching in spanish for Fenix's commentary. Fenix, at least in the hungman match, doesn't sound very confident.

Max's rap goes untranslated, but they react to him

:3:
Fenix: My brother, chulo!
Alex: ZERO! MIEDO!
Fenix loves his brother's gear. Fenix sounds much better on commentary by this point.

Alex: *evil uno hits Penta* i'm friends with Evil Uno, but hey he didn't have to do that. I don't like this. I really don't like this. *penta reverses it* Come on Penta come on Penta! Heyyyy! Bye, Evil Uno. Forgive me, Evil Uno, but i'm on Penta's side.
Everyone yells NO when JB eliminates Penta. "I never liked Jungle Boy! What a cheater! My two favorites eliminated, if Penta didn't win I wanted Uno to win" then Fenix asks where Cage came from and Dasha says he was napping lol
Fenix puts JB over when the match is over, talks about how he beat JB in the tag battle royal but took him a lot of work and that JB is the future face of AEW for sure.

was gonna skip straight to THE CHAIR DIMENSION, but i'm curious if Dasha and Fenix have anything on the USA USA USA poo poo lol. Alex apparently had to bounce? can't remember him showing up in the show proper, so idk.

Dasha: Fenix, we can never forget the sacrifices. We are grateful for the men and women- [usa happens]

Kenny tries to do the snap dragon on the top rope on Orange
Dasha: you can do it you can do it! pockets!
Alex: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fenix speechless with anger at the belts spot "i ca-i cant aaaargh"

chair dimension
Dasha: uh oh, there's a lot of chairs there
Alex: the man known as chairman of AEW

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm sure I'm late on this one but HOLY poo poo
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1399203668621205504?s=19

:woop:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Penguin Patrol posted:

she's not high enough in the rankings, she had an on-the-record loss to britt baker earlier in the year, and she's signed to another company. this is britt's time right now, rosa will get hers

yeah i feel like Rosa's time is obviously already booked early next year as the one to dethrone Britt

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Yeah I was wondering what the point of the fake half pigs were, that was funny.

Can’t have a Butcher without something for him to butcher

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Evil Badman posted:

Take Cody out of it - I don't know how anyone would expect the patriotic American to lose to the British boxer on Memorial Day weekend with their largest live crowd in a year.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Cody only smashed the HHH throne so he could build one for himself

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

cody rhodes

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I am going to write so many angry posts when Jungle Boy inevitably loses his title shot.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I cannot believe how much they've done to elevate Sammy. He's going to be such a versatile member of their roster. His move set is exciting and tailor made to being a face, but he can turn on the cocky arrogant heel attitude with the flick of a switch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Didn't Jungle Boy draw with Jericho? They've been high on that guy since day one.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sammy Guevara is clearly the face now because he was studying Jackie Chan movies before taping his segment with Spears

Shawn Spears is the heel, because he was studying Tarantino movies

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

A LOT of young talent on display last night, it was good to see. I'm wondering what angle Team Taz is gonna take. I'm feeling like maybe a face turn for Cage?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lanky_Nibz posted:

A LOT of young talent on display last night, it was good to see. I'm wondering what angle Team Taz is gonna take. I'm feeling like maybe a face turn for Cage?

I think a face turn is coming for him and possibly a program with Miro.

I do wonder what happens with Archer and Christian though - both seem a little directionless at this point.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I like the set up and pay off of the bolt cutters and I also like that P&P and FTR drank and toasted before beating the poo poo out of each other.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think a face turn is coming for him and possibly a program with Miro.

I do wonder what happens with Archer and Christian though - both seem a little directionless at this point.

Yeah I think Archer was the wrong guy to feed to Miro at this time. I think it hurt his character. He's lost every feud hes been in and can't win the big one.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

And here's the dumbest thought I had during the pay per view. Was Wardlow getting an icicle as a weapon and someone on commentary saying "He's got an icicle" a convoluted Dusty Rhodes reference, or have I just not had enough sleep?

HE GOT AN ICICLE was my only post in the GDT and a reference to that, and I think Excalibur and/or Tony are big enough dorks and lovers of Dusty to have also remembered that line and used it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lanky_Nibz posted:

I know Shida got a raw deal with picking up the title during quarantine, but I've always found her kinda inconsistent.

I feel like having a reign where ~half your defenses are against green or otherwise unremarkable talents will do that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

smarxist posted:

yeah i feel like Rosa's time is obviously already booked early next year as the one to dethrone Britt

I believe her husband has already posted to the effect of “can’t wait until 12:01 on January 1st” so with Rosa especially it’s just waiting.

Was announced during Riho’s match is that she’s going to be based in the U.S. moving forward, so expect her to be on AEW and playing a bigger part again. I’m sure it was COVID plus visa delays.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Yeah I think Archer was the wrong guy to feed to Miro at this time. I think it hurt his character. He's lost every feud hes been in and can't win the big one.

Same, they need to do something with him - either ditching Jake or inserting him into another story or something like that. It feels like he should be part of the storyline with Sting somehow since he was the catalyst for Archer's face turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reflecting on it, I'm ok that FTR and Santana / Ortiz didn't go in the ring, because it put more of a spotlight on Sammy, and also because now their in-ring work can be part of a full match. Same for Hagar v Wardlow (though I'd also be ok if they just don't have that match).

Last night was so so good. I think I'm going to rewatch the last three matches with my kid and fiance tonight. Fiance bowed out after Shida/Britt because it was getting too late, and my son's bedtime is 8:30 so he only got to see Page/Cage. My son is a big OC mark and he's going to go wild for those near falls.