Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Stux posted:

it does if you are reviweing examples of a medium that specifically require that to engage with it lol. reviewing any media requires that the critic have a specific set of skills that are generally better than most of the audience for that media. a very good example of this kind of active participation that isnt often thought about is in fact music. there is a very specific and trainable skill that most people do not have when it comes to listening to music, to be able to alter your own perception of the piece. to be able to isolate and compare the individual instruments in even very large ensembles and then switch back into hearing it as a whole. to be able to follow along with complex rhythmic parts and understand and comprehend everything thats happening. this is something you are taught or train yourself to do and its an absolutely vital skill fi you want to actually be able to be an effective critic. its also something the majority of people who listen to music absolutely cannot do.

its also not like its just games where its expected that a critic can deal with multiple facets of a work, film critics need to understand cinematography, writing, acting, they need to even have some level of understanding of music and its uses albeit in a contextual manner and not as in depth as a dedicated music critic would. a film critic who was unable to offer anything on the cinematography of a film due to them not having a sufficient understanding of it would be a worthless critic. if you are reviewing games, which are an inherently interactive medium, which can very often require good reaction times etc, you should probably have an above average level of expertise in that area, or at least if you are going to specifically review games which require it.

I think what you're saying is true of certain games, yes. To use the music example, it's stupid for a contemporary jazz publication/expert to review a folk album and give it a bad score because there's only two chords. It's probably not a good idea for an editor to assign a person to review a hardcore fighting game who doesn't like or doesn't have a history with those games. But at the same time, it's still valid to have a range of opinions, and I think you're talking as if people who review games professionally have absolutely zero understanding about the medium, which is a little unfair and extreme. Most people who do this professionally for publications do know what they're talking about.

But I don't agree with what you're saying about critics having an in-depth understanding about the component pieces of a medium. You don't need to know about types of lenses, or cinematography techniques to be a good film critic. There are certain kinds of non-fiction film/music writing where those skills you've described are really essential, but honestly being able to form a valuable opinion shouldn't need a writer to forensically take apart the components of a piece. Yea it helps if you're not tone deaf and reviewing music, and if you're reviewing music you wanna really listen actively. But that kind of forensic thing you're talking about is only useful for a very specific subset of non-fiction writing, for an even more specific audience (for example, I used to live with a cinematographer, who had a ton of books on cinematography, most of which involved examples from mainstream cinema). There are loads of kinds of arts criticism, all of which have value to different audiences. In the example of film, there are a lot of writers who don't talk about film in terms of the cinematography, acting, writing or whatever, but approach the film holistically, and maybe have a whole other angle they're approaching it from. Some of the best books and essays on film are weaving personal memoir or cultural commentary with the writer's feeling about the films themselves. The point is, good critical writing isn't about measuring the quality and effectiveness of a list of attributes. That's maybe what makes a good product review, but non-fiction critical writing is a much broader church than that, that take advantage of all kinds of skillsets (the only one in common being that you're a good writer with broad cultural knowledge).

edit: I mean I also think most publications having scales or scores with reviews on any artform is pretty stupid. Especially with music, because it's trivially easy to legally listen to most new releases for free, and know pretty much instantly whether you like it or not. So reviews need to perform another function at that point because they're not needed as a thing that you use to measure quality. when it comes to games I really like Eurogamer's system - 'essentail', 'recommended', no recommendation, or 'avoid'.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Dangan Ronpa? I watched a video of the executions n poo poo but this just kinda seems sociopathic and creepy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's video game werewolf/mafia

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Dangan Ronpa? I watched a video of the executions n poo poo but this just kinda seems sociopathic and creepy.

Yep. Same as most teen horror/slasher films and Battle Royale.

The actual plot/deduction stuff is fun though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pollyanna posted:

holy lmao

*clicks on video about executions* "this seems sociopathic"

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Protip for learning about media you don't know about is engaging with them in context, like reading a blurb or review or watching the start of gameplay, not doing the worst thing possible

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev posted:

Yep. Same as most teen horror/slasher films and Battle Royale.

Battle Royale is good though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tonfa posted:

Protip for learning about media you don't know about is engaging with them in context, like reading a blurb or review or watching the start of gameplay, not doing the worst thing possible

I already dismissed the series out of hand because of its fandom so who cares.

I thought that was Gnosia :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Battle Royale is good though

The manga is gross (and good).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like part of the execution music, so that got me curious. But...eh.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Grumbles posted:

But at the same time, it's still valid to have a range of opinions, and I think you're talking as if people who review games professionally have absolutely zero understanding about the medium, which is a little unfair and extreme.

the problem is the "range of opinions" almost never involves having multiple reviews for a game in mainstream publications, each from a different viewpoint, all published at the same time and given equal footing. it barely ever includes a reviewer focused on accessibility or other requirements from a first person perspective rather than a throw away paragraph in the single headline review. when it comes to large reviewers the range of opinion is nearly always one person, and if that person is awful at the game, or has no perspective on issues that dont impact them, then that place simply does not deal with that part of the game.

quote:

But I don't agree with what you're saying about critics having an in-depth understanding about the component pieces of a medium. You don't need to know about types of lenses, or cinematography techniques to be a good film critic. There are certain kinds of non-fiction film/music writing where those skills you've described are really essential, but honestly being able to form a valuable opinion shouldn't need a writer to forensically take apart the components of a piece. Yea it helps if you're not tone deaf and reviewing music, and if you're reviewing music you wanna really listen actively. But that kind of forensic thing you're talking about is only useful for a very specific subset of non-fiction writing, for an even more specific audience (for example, I used to live with a cinematographer, who had a ton of books on cinematography, most of which involved examples from mainstream cinema).

if you are attempting to review music you cannot simply choose to be unable to listen actively. its not about forensically taking a piece apart, its not about writing "well at bar 4 if you listen in the left channel the second violin part...". if you are unable to properly understand and comprehend what you are hearing you cannot write an effective critique of the piece for review. being able to effectively write a review of a song is being able to understand everything you are hearing, and also write about it in a way that isnt a forensic evaluation.

quote:

There are loads of kinds of arts criticism, all of which have value to different audiences. In the example of film, there are a lot of writers who don't talk about film in terms of the cinematography, acting, writing or whatever, but approach the film holistically, and maybe have a whole other angle they're approaching it from. Some of the best books and essays on film are weaving personal memoir or cultural commentary with the writer's feeling about the films themselves. The point is, good critical writing isn't about measuring the quality and effectiveness of a list of attributes. That's maybe what makes a good product review, but non-fiction critical writing is a much broader church than that, that take advantage of all kinds of skillsets (the only one in common being that you're a good writer with broad cultural knowledge).

edit: I mean I also think most publications having scales or scores with reviews on any artform is pretty stupid. Especially with music, because it's trivially easy to legally listen to most new releases for free, and know pretty much instantly whether you like it or not. So reviews need to perform another function at that point because they're not needed as a thing that you use to measure quality. when it comes to games I really like Eurogamer's system - 'essentail', 'recommended', no recommendation, or 'avoid'.

we arent talking about books and essays, we are talking mainline reviews. youre conflating writing about art history and being a critic in that sense with someone writing a release window review for a game or album. these are two different things requiring different skillsets. if you want to write an essay on game history or influences on a specific piece, no, you dont need to be mechanically good at games even if the game you are talking about would benefit from it. but if you are writing in ign or whhatever a release day review of a game, you really probably should be able to play the game you are reviewing to a higher than average standard. and that doesnt mean doing it as a product review either, because that could also be done by someone who isnt very good at the game theyre reviewing, and is often what happens: a list of the games features, its graphical prowess and if it actually works and a score. there is a middle ground between broader critical writing and product review which is where standard reviews of games should be sitting imo. and yeah get rid of scores.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is average standard re: video game skill level, how many times can I die to the abyss watchers before I get kicked out of gamer grad school

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

the problem is the "range of opinions" almost never involves having multiple reviews for a game in mainstream publications, each from a different viewpoint, all published at the same time and given equal footing. it barely ever includes a reviewer focused on accessibility or other requirements from a first person perspective rather than a throw away paragraph in the single headline review. when it comes to large reviewers the range of opinion is nearly always one person, and if that person is awful at the game, or has no perspective on issues that dont impact them, then that place simply does not deal with that part of the game.

Fortunately there are about a billion reviewers so you aren't forced to read the ones you don't care for.

Like who cares what the mainstream or large publications do when there are tons of other options easily available

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
well the obvbious answer is ur own supposition: the issue of the largest and best paid reviewers writing garbage while good critics struggle lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think they are inherently worse, they just care about different poo poo than you do

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Instead of reading reviews I just use my ultimate gamer senses to already know if I'm going to like a game before I buy it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stux posted:

well the obvbious answer is ur own supposition: the issue of the largest and best paid reviewers writing garbage while good critics struggle lol

These reviewers get viewed by and make money from some of the biggest morons out there who don’t have even a modicum of critical thinking so leave the capitalists to their capitalism and stick to what’s actually good in the world.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ross (Rubberross) recently put out a video of his girlfriend Giwi playing east endless in Mario Maker. She has played almost no side scrolling platformers/Mario games from what I understand. She has played the 3D ones, but those don't require you to hold a button to run. So it was fascinating watching someone who has never played a side scroller just not have any idea how to do anything. It's easy to take for granted how naturally platforming comes for a lot of us

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Andrast posted:

I don't think they are inherently worse, they just care about different poo poo than you do

agreed. they simply care about other thtings. now, time to give a review with a score that means "ok to good" to a game so buggy it cannot be played, failing to even deliver an effective product review let alone any form of crit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

agreed. they simply care about other thtings. now, time to give a review with a score that means "ok to good" to a game so buggy it cannot be played, failing to even deliver an effective product review let alone any form of crit

have you considered a job at ign?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've yet to found the reviewer that most relates to me, where maybe they talk about the first 30 minutes of a game and then have several paragraphs gradually going off topic daydreaming up bad builds in Path of Exile and then finally concluding that no, in fact, you don't really have time to invest in that game and what were we talking about anyway? Oh right breath of the wild.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

not even my friends can tell what games i would like

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Solving a mystery

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Andrast posted:

have you considered a job at ign?

i tried but they screened me with a deathmatch game of doom 2 against all their staff. after going 30 kill sw ith zero deaths i was hounded out of the offices with crucifixes and holy water

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Solving a mystery

or rewrite history

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

oddium posted:

not even my friends can tell what games i would like

anodyne 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

i tried but they screened me with a deathmatch game of doom 2 against all their staff. after going 30 kill sw ith zero deaths i was hounded out of the offices with crucifixes and holy water

you're supposed to throw against your future boss, you'll never get hired that way

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux can only throw shade. Never a match

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What is the best deathmatch map, and why is it Q3DM17?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Infinitum posted:

CTF Face

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Do you ever just want to scream at how intentionally and constantly negative some posters are

Like i just don't know how anyone is still having fun with irony

I don't know never mind whatever

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm all in on sarcasm myself

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Or was that cynicism?

Ah well, one or the other

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Edit: lol never mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That is clearly not a deathmatch map

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Stux posted:

we arent talking about books and essays, we are talking mainline reviews. youre conflating writing about art history and being a critic in that sense with someone writing a release window review for a game or album. these are two different things requiring different skillsets. if you want to write an essay on game history or influences on a specific piece, no, you dont need to be mechanically good at games even if the game you are talking about would benefit from it. but if you are writing in ign or whhatever a release day review of a game, you really probably should be able to play the game you are reviewing to a higher than average standard. and that doesnt mean doing it as a product review either, because that could also be done by someone who isnt very good at the game theyre reviewing, and is often what happens: a list of the games features, its graphical prowess and if it actually works and a score. there is a middle ground between broader critical writing and product review which is where standard reviews of games should be sitting imo. and yeah get rid of scores.

I don't think I'm conflating anything, friend! There are multiple ways to respond to a piece of media, and nearly all of those responses have the capacity to give you a sense of whether it's a piece of media you yourself want to experience. As you say, a middle ground between broader critical writing and product review. But I'd rather have someone who is really good at critically engaging with something but is maybe of average (or even below average!) mechanical skill. A good games writer will be aware of their own physical dexterity in relation to how skill-focused a game is and take that into account in their writing. I guess my point is if someone's spend a long rear end time honing their skills as a writer and a critic but happens to have bad reflexes, I'd still much rather read their work than some twitchy 19 year old with no cultural frame of reference beyond video games themselves. But really there's a surplus of games writing out there and you can just not burden yourself with the writing you don't like, to be honest.

Like, it should be obvious from my responses that I find critical responses that look too closely at the machinery of a thing to be a bit tedious and missing the point of art. Like that bald youtube music reviewer guy that people seem to love. The way he reviews albums, its like you've just had your car in for servicing and he's giving you a list of parts you need replaced. It just misses the point and appeal of music for me.

Simone Magus posted:

Do you ever just want to scream at how intentionally and constantly negative some posters are

lol yeah. I think the last decade or so of human history has shown us that maybe irony for its own sake, just as a kind of defense mechanism against expressing any kind of real or earnest sentiment that would risk making yourself emotionally vulnerable, is maybe bad??

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 31, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No it's not. That's Gnosia.

Dangan Ronpa is a murder mystery game but with Battle Royale flavor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTLbaktF0CY

Simone Magus posted:

No

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 31, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Block fort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Longest Yard :hellyeah: