Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

For as much time and creative freedom as he is given, it feels like he misses more often than not.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, the story to me felt like Eddie was the weak link in the team and the Bucks don't have a weak link.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CarlCX posted:

in that same timeframe he's gone over Ogogo, QT, Penta, Scorpio, Jungle Boy, Lance Archer, Spears and Orange Cassidy

The only one of those that really shouldn't have happened is Orange and even there he's completely recovered from it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cody is not only cool and good but he’s a bonafide star who is also very over. He shouldn’t be losing every second feud he’s in.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CarlCX posted:

The thing with the "when you beat Cody it makes you" thing is thus far in the entire history of AEW Cody has lost exactly four singles matches, and they were Jericho, MJF, Brodie and Darby, one of whom really did not need a victory over Cody to legitimize them and one of whom through no fault of anyone's wound up being tragically wasted, but at the end of the day it means he's functionally made two people, and in that same timeframe he's gone over Ogogo, QT, Penta, Scorpio, Jungle Boy, Lance Archer, Spears and Orange Cassidy. He had to stop Darby several times before Darby got his and he went over Orange Cassidy right after Cassidy's big hot streak where they put him over Jericho. It's not as simple as "Cody sucks and should lose all the time," but it's also not at all unreasonable for a lot of people to be frustrated with Cody's booking.

To put this in context, in the same time period Kenny has lost three singles matches: to Pac, Mox, and Jericho.

Moxley has lost two singles matches, both to Kenny Omega

Chris Jericho has lost four singles matches, to Mox, MJF, and Orange Cassidy twice.

Pac has lost five singles matches, to Kenny Omega three times, Jon Moxley, and Adam Page.

Orange Cassidy has lost seven singles matches, to Pac, Rey Fenix, MJF, Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, Cody, and Brodie Lee.

MJF has lost one singles match, to Jon Moxley.

Cody is, in other words, booked like a main eventer. Which is what he is.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 31, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lamuella posted:

To put this in context, in the same time period Kenny has lost three singles matches: to Pac, Mox, and Jericho.

Moxley has lost two singles matches, both to Kenny Omega

Chris Jericho has lost four singles matches, to Mox, MJF, and Orange Cassidy twice.

Pac has lost five singles matches, to Kenny Omega three times, Jon Moxley, and Adam Page.

Orange Cassidy has lost seven singles matches, to Pac, Rey Fenix, MJF, Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, Cody, and Brodie Lee.

Cody is, in other words, booked like a main eventer. Which is what he is.

drat they should stop having OC lose to everyone imo

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Watching the show now and I just want to say that the chokeslam in Miro/Archer is one of the greatest chokeslams of all time, god drat. Miro nearly overshot Archer alltogether, or atleast it looked like he was about to.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Aye Doc posted:

drat they should stop having OC lose to everyone imo

To be fair they mostly have. His loss last night was his first singles loss since December.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cody rhodes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

cody rhodes

Haha good one

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

in the Cody Zone storylines begin with the babyface being wronged and end with the babyface getting his revenge. if you don't like cody it probably doesn't work for you but there are many other zones within aew that you may enjoy more

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i would like his zone to be annexed by one of the others.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s very easy to fast forward anything with Cody if you don’t like him, he has the decency not to stink up other feuds like a certain Bad Brothers

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The only thing I didn't like about Adam Page winning was him drinking from a can of beer afterwards.

They should've had someone run out afterwards and present him with a cup of beer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

none of this will matter when Sting-gun finally marches

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

coconono posted:

none of this will matter when Sting-gun finally marches

Darby and Archer for the tag team titles

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rarity posted:

The only one of those that really shouldn't have happened is Orange and even there he's completely recovered from it

I don't necessarily agree, but even if you do, if you continually put Cody in situations where the only rational outcome is "well, obviously Cody should win this match," it becomes completely rational for people to feel tiredly resigned to Cody going into matches he's obviously going to win, and when a lot of those matches are against people AEW is pitching as up-and-comers, it makes it feel progressively more tiring.

Also:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Cody should have never done the “can’t challenge for the world title” stip because it’s done nothing for people’s perception about him like he intended

I think this actually made things worse, in a weird way. As multiple people have pointed out, Cody is booked and treated like a main eventer, which is fine, but he's also shackled to this stipulation where he can't ever actually main event, so what you're left with is a main eventer booked like a main eventer who lives in the midcard and beats a bunch of midcard guys, and that sucks rear end.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Is there anything Matt can't do?

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1399366964452200451?s=20

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the dark order is over huge and loses all the time. everythings over in aew its like 1998 raw with a real crowd back. so what if cody is over with a segment of the audience fuckin *everyone* is

e: except the factory thats kind of a dud

shiksa fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 31, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Adam Page winning was him drinking from a can of beer afterwards.

They should've had someone run out afterwards and present him with a cup of beer.

That's actually something Page addressed early on the pandemic, he said (in his normal fun way) that he's not drinking from open containers at shows any more for health reasons. Frankly that's probably a good idea even outside the pandemic, given how risky taking random solo cups from the crowd could've been.

I do think bottles might be a better look. Would also open up a possible tag team with James Storm, which would rule.

Also, how much longer is Jeff Hardy shackled to the Fed? I figure Matt can milk one more short run out of the Broken gimmick with Brother Nero by his side (like enough for one PPV cycle, no more).

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Cody's biggest problem on screen for me is that he doesn't seem to act as a leader for the nightmare family at all. Especially in AEW where every faction feels incredibly tight knit, Cody has done nothing to get any of them over. Instead it's game shows and reality shows and politics and Shaq and showing off his rich lifestyle and delivering overly rehearsed and definitely not focus-grouped speeches. Just gives him this terrible manufactured vibe where it's clear he hasn't even chosen a character for himself other than "I want to be everybody's favorite."

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I walked outside today to discover that the Minneapolis Police Department had announced their disbandment, as racism no longer existed in America, and wealth was being invested into black communities at a massive rate. Thank you Cody for your efforts last night. :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CarlCX posted:

I don't necessarily agree, but even if you do, if you continually put Cody in situations where the only rational outcome is "well, obviously Cody should win this match," it becomes completely rational for people to feel tiredly resigned to Cody going into matches he's obviously going to win, and when a lot of those matches are against people AEW is pitching as up-and-comers, it makes it feel progressively more tiring.

Beating Cody doesn't matter if everyone's doing it. MJF and Darby are where they are because they pulled it off and that wouldn't have happened if Shawn Spears had done it then floated in the midcard for 2 years

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

shiksa posted:

e: except the factory thats kind of a dud

Excuse me, we have proof from last night that Ogogo's over and he's only had one real match

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Penguin Patrol posted:

Cody's biggest problem on screen for me is that he doesn't seem to act as a leader for the nightmare family at all. Especially in AEW where every faction feels incredibly tight knit, Cody has done nothing to get any of them over. Instead it's game shows and reality shows and politics and Shaq and showing off his rich lifestyle and delivering overly rehearsed and definitely not focus-grouped speeches. Just gives him this terrible manufactured vibe where it's clear he hasn't even chosen a character for himself other than "I want to be everybody's favorite."

the nightmare family isnt a stable its simply a large group of people who think cody and the rhodes family are really really cool and want to thank him for helping their lives so much.

Rarity posted:

Excuse me, we have proof from last night that Ogogo's over and he's only had one real match

im just going off crowd reaction since, yknow, crowds are back. im sure he'll be fine and he seems to be quite good but rn uhhh no one really gives a gently caress about that it seems.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Beating Cody doesn't matter if everyone's doing it. MJF and Darby are where they are because they pulled it off and that wouldn't have happened if Shawn Spears had done it then floated in the midcard for 2 years

cody is so boisterous that it doesn't matter who beats him because he can instantly make everyone forget that

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
4 more Elevation matches: https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1399399018770448384

They all look good apart from the Acclaimed match, and I only say that because I don't know who the brothers Tate are.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

Also, how much longer is Jeff Hardy shackled to the Fed? I figure Matt can milk one more short run out of the Broken gimmick with Brother Nero by his side (like enough for one PPV cycle, no more).

He re-upped last year so he could have his old music back, he's there till 2025

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

4 more Elevation matches: https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1399399018770448384

They all look good apart from the Acclaimed match, and I only say that because I don't know who the brothers Tate are.

They're Dalton Castle's boys, IIRC.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

yeah I want to see what happens next between Ogogo and the factory. QT looked like he was gonna berate Ogogo for that effort, which is not a healthy habit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gently caress gently caress gently caress HELL YEAH THE TATE TWINS!!!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rarity posted:

I mean, I agree, which is why my original point was

CarlCX posted:

It's not as simple as "Cody sucks and should lose all the time," but it's also not at all unreasonable for a lot of people to be frustrated with Cody's booking.

Not everyone should beat Cody. More people probably should. Even you had him beating Cassidy as a visible example. I don't think either point of view is unreasonable.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

heartbroken that the boys are debuting in aew and dalton castle is still trapped in roh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

shiksa posted:

im just going off crowd reaction since, yknow, crowds are back. im sure he'll be fine and he seems to be quite good but rn uhhh no one really gives a gently caress about that it seems.

Ogogo got cheers on his entrance and a LET'S GO OGOGO chant despite being the heel. He's gonna be fine. Also I'm pretty sure Nick Comoroto's over a bit cause that dude's a beast. People keep thinking the Factory is a QT vehicle when it's clearly there to get those two over

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Rarity posted:

Ogogo got cheers on his entrance and a LET'S GO OGOGO chant despite being the heel. He's gonna be fine. Also I'm pretty sure Nick Comoroto's over a bit cause that dude's a beast. People keep thinking the Factory is a QT vehicle when it's clearly there to get those two over

tbf i was *kind of* working while watching last night the reaction for that match seemed kinda muted to me but yea idk i prob missed things. the segment on friday was death tho.

yea obv qt isnt ACTUALLY the focus of that stable, and i really do think ogogo will be fine and nick comorato looks and acts like... that so yea he'll be fine too. idk maybe the story will be that they're losing bc qt is coaching them and they wont be able to win until they rejoin the nightmare family, this storyline is going nowhere tho

shiksa fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 31, 2021

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Rarity posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Nick Comoroto's over a bit cause that dude's a beast.

Formally speaking he's Mr. Freakbeast

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

beggar posted:

Formally speaking he's Mr. Freakbeast

And hairy!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at AEWs booking is that the majority of their run has been without crowds, so there’s definitely things they probably held back on until they could get an in-person reaction.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BTE: AEW already has a ton of cool props from their history.

And the Hollywood :honk: rules for his questioning a best of 10 - "so if you get 7 and I get 8, I win? :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Shawn Spears was my favorite bit of the stadium stampede, I loved him in his velvet room of chairs, I wish they spent more time in that room ripping chairs off the wall and doing crazy poo poo. Seems like they had to cover some edits with two replays back to back which kinda killed the pacing but this was my favorite segment of the match for sure.

"No!!! Sammy!! You son of a bitch!!" lmao fun match