Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm two episodes deep into rewatching it in the poop culture thread and good god it's so loving bad

like, I already knew it was bad but I blocked a lot of it from my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the good poos is that we have so much west wing left to suffer through watch we won’t be making any moves for at least a year

Inshallah we are all still alive on that timeframe

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok ok ok more like:
Spunk Night
Stupider 60

I can do this all day.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Poodio Sixpee on the Cumset Strip

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the Cumset Strip

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I almost want to rewatch some of Studio 60 because it probably aged even worse than the West Wing. SNL is SOOOOOO IMPORTANT GUYS! You have NO IDEA how IMPORTANT!!!! Also, a Gilbert and Sullivan riff is the height of comedy.

The West Wing is at least relevant in that it depicts a lying sack of crap president doing as little as possible and negotiating against himself; which is every Dem president in my life time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
SportsNight is the most exotic work of the Sorkin canon. It's the show I've seen the least of.

It doesn't get talked about all that much, and I don't learn much from osmosis. I remember it being praised by some critics, but hated by some dorks for being "a comedy without jokes".

If I had to guess, it probably has the same "oh we're so important" fart-huffing that Studio 60 and Newsroom has if viewed today. But it's an earlier work when Sorkin the autuer was less defined, so I don't know.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
All of his shows and movies pretend that whatever the subject matter is 'the most important thing, discussed by the most serious and credentialed people' even when its an insipid SNL or Sports Center knock-off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm to IRL Jan 03 2020. Sulemani was just assassinated, and Bernie just had his big haul. I think this is the nyt donation map where you have to remove Bernie from it to see anyone else.
But. I'm sorry. There's some BAD NEWS coming...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm to IRL Jan 03 2020. Sulemani was just assassinated, and Bernie just had his big haul. I think this is the nyt donation map where you have to remove Bernie from it to see anyone else.

we’ve complained a couple of times about how referencing pop culture fads instantly dates your film/TV show and I feel like we’re reaping a bit of what we sowed lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we’ve complained a couple of times about how referencing pop culture fads instantly dates your film/TV show and I feel like we’re reaping a bit of what we sowed lol

I was listening to a podcast the other day where the host makes a "binders full of women" joke and instantly crumbled into dust

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Tbf mooooost of the references everyone makes are basically like any other meme (original definition) in that theyre familiar to those who are familiar with it by virtue of organic reproduction within the audience and beyond

but for things that never reached critical mass... a quick route to feeling Very Old (it was my 37th birthday last week lol)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

The good news is that after Super Tuesday the primary update segment stops entirely!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=20

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Someone mentioned this podcast maybe two weeks ago and now I'm binging my way through it. Currently I'm at the very end of season 2, and yes Saint Andrews is the snobbiest possible school in our dumb state of Delaware.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We have not forgotten about our quixotic quest

A dumb two episodes with a lot of baby-brained poo poo

hurrayyyyy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
bots

are fun lol

jason mantzoukas voice "Keep... grinding?"

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Maybe they just want to support you grinding through the terrible S5 content?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
About half way through season four, don't tell me how it ends. Current theory is after losing in California Rob Lowe just fucks off to Indianna to become city manager after MS Bartlett becomes so toxic all of his staffers have their careers ruined.
Same reason Lyman got stuck on city council.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

About half way through season four, don't tell me how it ends. Current theory is after losing in California Rob Lowe just fucks off to Indianna to become city manager after MS Bartlett becomes so toxic all of his staffers have their careers ruined.
Same reason Lyman got stuck on city council.

How'd it turn out?? :P

anyway new episode today and uh, the most significant thing I can say about these two eps of the show is Gabby Union plz, divorce Basketball Man and join my polycule.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
astronaut meme it was about money??

Always was.

Leo is so sparkling, baby brained, starry-eyed, utterly naive that I'm convinced this is the episode where someone high up at the network decided his character had to die (RIP to John Spencer IRL it's not your fault buddy)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aedison/status/1414570521023352836
https://twitter.com/WaveyArt/status/1414648187558707201

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Are those supposed to sound smug and/or ghoulish? They come across that way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NGDBSS posted:

Are those supposed to sound smug and/or ghoulish? They come across that way.

Did you watch The Newsroom? Because the tone matches the show, and those are scenes from the show with the nouns replaced with covid.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you watch The Newsroom? Because the tone matches the show, and those are scenes from the show with the nouns replaced with covid.
I have not seen The Newsroom. But I am familiar with its reputation as the embodiment of indulgent hindsight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Neil Degrasse Tyson also went on about Blind Willie Johnson being on the Voyager Golden Record in the new Cosmos.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Acinonyx posted:

I almost want to rewatch some of Studio 60 because it probably aged even worse than the West Wing. SNL is SOOOOOO IMPORTANT GUYS! You have NO IDEA how IMPORTANT!!!! Also, a Gilbert and Sullivan riff is the height of comedy.

"Crazy Christians" sketch

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NGDBSS posted:

I have not seen The Newsroom. But I am familiar with its reputation as the embodiment of indulgent hindsight.

yeah those tweets match the self-important, solipsist tone of the Protagonists of Everything characters

it sucks rear end!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson also went on about Blind Willie Johnson being on the Voyager Golden Record in the new Cosmos.

lmaoooo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

As a scientist, you think he would have realized Stu's point that the man's music left the solar system many many decades ago in the form of radio waves

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NDT is very succ-lib.

He also got MeToo'd, I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

astronaut meme it was about money??

Always was.

Leo is so sparkling, baby brained, starry-eyed, utterly naive that I'm convinced this is the episode where someone high up at the network decided his character had to die (RIP to John Spencer IRL it's not your fault buddy)

I listened to this, and lol'ed out loud at "it was about MONEY??? :( :( :("

good stuff, folks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Current pod status: Caught up.
I keep getting Fargo vibes "and you did it all for what? A little bit of money?"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's time to be a racist. It's time to hem and haw.

it's time to cram a show full of the neoliberals' flaws!

It's time for Jon Podhoretz

It's time for DeeDee Myers

It's time for awkward CJ on a sendup of Crossfire!

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Jul 28, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The good episode is next right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

The good episode is next right?

Yeah although all the hype guarantees I will be disappointed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Yeah although all the hype guarantees I will be disappointed

Probably,!
I haven't watched an episode since highschool and y'all suggested that if I watch one, it should be this one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
* wasn't "having an affair with the woman writing your book" a thing that happened with Stanley McChrystal?

* Drudge Report catapulted itself into becoming famous IIRC because they were the first outlet to break news about the Clinton-Lewinsky affair

* holy poo poo that Josh clip was incredibly racist

* House of Cards also did a black Mayor of DC. I wonder how pervasive this cliche is

good episode! looking forward to the next one

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Echo Chamber posted:

If I had to guess, it probably has the same "oh we're so important" fart-huffing that Studio 60 and Newsroom has if viewed today. But it's an earlier work when Sorkin the autuer was less defined, so I don't know.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

loving charter schools goddamn.

I hate liberals.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
You gonna do a "Charlie Wilson's War" special episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Lol was trying to think of whether the show actually ever talks about Afghanistan specifically. It's always Kumar and equatorial kundu

Right now I'm fighting Stu's Covid War because I took a huge lung full of exposure last Tuesday so I hosed off into isolation to keep my wife and cats safe. Waiting on test results today to be able to confidently go home.