Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Written by Ilana Glazer too, so I'm interested to see how it turns out. I can't imagine Ilana doing something that isn't comedy, but I said the same thing about Jordan Peele.

I don’t know, her last standup special was pretty scary. I seriously have no idea why they put it out without sweetening it by adding laughs, it’s rough watching someone bomb.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just to reiterate: everyone should go watch Skull: The Mask on Shudder. It rules.

Yeah it rules, it’s a classic slasher. I don’t really care for some of the color filtering or whatever they did, making it look blurry and orange, but that’s a minor complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just to reiterate: everyone should go watch Skull: The Mask on Shudder. It rules.

and sold

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's the answer to the question "what if Psycho Goreman was suuuuuuper mean" and I love it. Great curating job on releasing these two movies in the same week because they'd make a lovely double feature.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess Ilana is another case of somebody better at ideas and premises than following through on a punchline? Nothing wrong with that if you have a great collaborator, but someone like that will be pretty bad solo.

Like I like Bob Odenkirk as an actor, writer, and one half of Bob and David, but I saw an early solo stand up set of his once and... yeah, not good.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's funny to me how the challenge thread is affecting my streaming service algorithms. The "top rated movies on Prime" category now includes Xtro, Jeepers Creepers and The Curse of La Llorona

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's funny to me how the challenge thread is affecting my streaming service algorithms. The "top rated movies on Prime" category now includes Xtro, Jeepers Creepers and The Curse of La Llorona

“You ruined our Prime account” is a complaint I have heard from my wife more than once

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I used to have a personality, dreams and poo poo, but these days I simply do what commercial algorithms want of me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's the answer to the question "what if Psycho Goreman was suuuuuuper mean" and I love it. Great curating job on releasing these two movies in the same week because they'd make a lovely double feature.

Sold. Also the PG accounts keep hyping it up so.

#Hunkyboysummer

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I guess Ilana is another case of somebody better at ideas and premises than following through on a punchline? Nothing wrong with that if you have a great collaborator, but someone like that will be pretty bad solo.

Like I like Bob Odenkirk as an actor, writer, and one half of Bob and David, but I saw an early solo stand up set of his once and... yeah, not good.
The thing with stand up comedy is that you don't just have to be funny, but create the context for the humor to happen. It's why people who are funny with their friends find themselves struggling with standup. You don't have things to make fun of or play off of. It's just you on a stage trying to bring stories to life, getting people invested in them, and then getting people to react. It's why a comedian who is good at crowd work can be really entertaining if none of their jokes are really all that funny.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sold based on this image alone

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's here!

Say what you want about Fred Vogel's movies, but every time I've met him in person or interacted with him online he's been an exceptionally kind person. $20 got me this signed OOP DVD. The hunt is over!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kvlt! posted:

It's here!

Say what you want about Fred Vogel's movies, but every time I've met him in person or interacted with him online he's been an exceptionally kind person. $20 got me this signed OOP DVD. The hunt is over!

Post a trip report.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Will do, i dont have access to a DVD player for another day or two but its coming.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Sorry if it makes me a poser, but I just had a great loving time at A Quiet Place 2

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Part 2 has the same problem as part 1 for my money.

Despite being very well made, you have to completely suspend disbelief on how things came to be because the creatures weakness(es) would have been discovered and exploited long before they could have done all the damage it appears they have done.

They aren’t bad movies in any sense but I just can’t love them because of the sizeable plot holes (imo).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. I haven't seen the second one yet but to me the suspension of disbelief/plot contrivances aren't really any worse than a zombie film. Like we just got done with Army of the Dead and it kind of makes no sense that the military could construct a wall around vegas to contain the zombie outbreak but couldn't stand on top of that wall mowing zombies down. But the movie says it didn't work to get where it needs to go so... ok. If I can't accept the basic premise suspension of disbelief I gotta quit before it starts.

But everyone's got their own limits and things for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are there any good car/truck horror movies that aren't Maximum Overdrive, Christine or (I know its not horror but it kinda fits the bill of what I'm looking for) the Death Race series

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Duel? Roadgames?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Car
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075809/

Killdozer!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071717/

Duel
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

(Duel probably doesn't count since there is, presumably, an evil driver involved)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Another recommendation for Road Games but also The Hitcher

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Death Proof?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
While I wouldn't call it strictly horror, The Wraith.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Are there any good car/truck horror movies that aren't Maximum Overdrive, Christine or (I know its not horror but it kinda fits the bill of what I'm looking for) the Death Race series

Sorcerer.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Another recommendation for Road Games but also The Hitcher

Hell yea The Hitcher is great.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Joy Ride

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Watching Suspiria (2018). Very good, very different.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wheels of Terror, bro.

It sucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The_Doctor posted:

Watching Suspiria (2018). Very good, very different.

I saw this before the original. (Will do soon)

And holy crap it’s awesome as hell. I loved it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I watched A Quiet Place last week and then saw A Quiet Place 2 yesterday. Both films were well made and well acted enough with a great concept that I can absolve it of some of the tactical realism nitpicking. After seeing AQP2 my main question was if the movie even needed to be made (other than lol more money yay)? I am not sure what it offers that the first one does not and would be keen to get anyone elses thoughts on it.

Spoilers for both movies: Part 2 ends in basically the same place that Part 1 ends in, they have the tools to defeat the creatures and they leave the fate of the world ambiguous to that end. From what I can tell, most of what we get out of Part 2 is a look at 3 different aspects of other survivors, the lone guy, the weirdos, and the idyllic community that made it out early. But the movie does not linger really enough on these to draw anything meaningful other than surface level comparisons. And yea, the crazy murder hobos are pretty bad compared to the idyllic community! The other thing is the daughter I guess "earning" the legacy of the dad or whatever, but I feel like she did that already by figuring out the trick at the end of part 1. And the son steps up to defend his family after being a very annoying dumbass for the enter second act. Leaving the baby alone to go do whatever with a bum foot was all time contriving a crisis by the writing team, though I guess its not inconceivable that a child would do something stupid. Djimon Honsou got a raw deal, after being pretty determined and decisive, and I like when he shows up in movies so RIP him.

I also do not understand why their old friend would try to send them on their way when the team demonstrated their very capable ability to kill those fuckers. He literally witnesses them comboing the monster to death and is like ah gently caress these monsters theyre too strong you gotta go, no way should I team up with you and your magic monster killing technology. Annoying! He had a great hiding place too, close to what a lot of people speculated about in the original thread you could easily setup some very noisy contraptions with all the metal there to disguise your everyday sounds, but even the underground furnace room was good enough.

The flashback at the beginning was great fun, but I'm not sure how Jim from the office came to the conclusion about the sound thing so suddenly, or how the monsters were there already without any visible impact of the asteroid they were on. Or how Jim got a bunch of NYT articles about the monsters to put up in his basement when his town was clearly a ground zero target. AH WELL nevertheless it was a fun sequence, and I think these monsters definitely work better the less explanation you get because their weakness, strengths, origins, etc don't make sense as a global threat the more you learn about them. Human cities and nature & life in general is just so noisy that I don't buy them pinpointing the sound of these random assholes in the woods, y know? Like if one of these monsters landed in NYC they'd loving die just from loud assholes yelling at pedestrian-endangering drivers.

The only other nonspoiler thing I'll say is I think that while very competently made, with more amazing sound design and very good scene staging, A LOT of what happens was very predictable and in fact I did predict literally all of it because the beats were a little too obvious. There is nothing here that will take you by surprise, though the images are at least impressive enough to overrule their cliche nature.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Sorry if it makes me a poser, but I just had a great loving time at A Quiet Place 2
I've honestly been baffled by the Quiet Place hate in general. Like regardless of whatever plot holes, stuff like the corn silo scene is really tense and well done.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i enjoyed quiet place while i was watching it but have never had any desire to revisit it at all honestly

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I watched and moved on from A Quiet Place the same way I do most Shudder originals. It was fine.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Kvlt! posted:

Dead End is a cool little early 2000's horror with loads of Ray Wise.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I liked the first A Quiet Place and absolutely hated Part 2

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Cub aka Welp on Shudder was pretty wild. I did not expect a few of the turns it took and quite how it ramped up. Did not expect a child knife fight in a vertical partially flooded subway car(?)

Saw Saint Maud too and it was decidedly very A24, which isn't a dig at it.

A good long weekend of spooky movies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From the Procedural Generation thread in PYF:

feedmyleg posted:

Used AI Dungeon to generate some horror movie titles that never existed. It's a great mix of really creepy and evocative titles alongside really silly ones:

quote:

A Nice Day For A White Execution
The Hands That Counted The Dead
Pranks Of The Living Dead
Hell's Hired Guards
If The Shoe FITS, Then Kill Him
The Last Laugh Of Man Is Death! (The Movie!)
The Dead Girl from Mars
No Sun, No Moon, The Devil's Dead
The Ghost Who Turned to Ash
The Ghoulery of Satan
Slave To The Hellbound Train
The Corpse with the Hands of a God
The Hands That Live Inside The Graveyards
A Bunch of Heads
It's Hell Train Time
Satan's Snow Machine
Shoot First, Kill Later
Ghoulies... In 3D!
Ghoulies... In Concert!
Highway Hobgoblin
Holy Terror! Batman's Mad!
The Many Colors of the Devil
The Hands That Scream
A Death-Ray For All Seasons
Bloodbath At Crematorium IV
Halloween II: Revenge Of Michael Myers (The Musical!)
Black Sunday 2: You've Been Rejected By Death
Black Sunday 3: Death Lives!
The Hands That Watched The World Die
Blood and Gore and Tears and Sorrows
The Castrating Car
Stab, Slice, Kill!
Suture, Dissect, Torture, Kill!
Three... Two... One... Darkness!
Small Enough to Cope, Big Enough to Stab
Take Turns Playing with the Dead
Taste of a Woman's Soul
It also got obsessed with a series of movies about "The Creeps" that are all kind of amazing. Now I'm obsessed. I have editorialized and put them in the order I think makes sense for a series of films:

quote:

The Creeps Are Here!
Return Of The Creeps
The Creeps Are Out To Get Us!
The Creeps Must Be Destroyed!
The Creeps: They Live Among You!
The Creeps: They Want You As A Host!
The Creeps: They're The Reason You Can't Fall Asleep
The Creeps: They Get Inside Through Your Eyes!
The Creeps: They're Inside Your Mom!
The Creeps: The Government Created Them!
The Creeps: The Army Can't Do Anything!
The Creeps: You Deserve A Nobel Peace Prize For Fighting Against These Monsters!
The Creeps: They've Taped Everything You've Said!
The Creeps: They're Going To Get You Even If You've Got A 100% Safe System!
The Creeps: They Were Inside You The Whole Time!
The Creeps: They Will Walk The Earth Forever And Ever And Can't Be Stopped!
The Creeps: Your Love Of Heavy Metal Is Causing This!
The Creeps: They Created A Program To Stop You By Taking Away Your Guitar!
The Creeps: This Program Is Based On Your Guitar Solos!
The Creeps: They Can Easily Get Inside Your Mind Because You Play So Well!
The Creeps: If You Want To Live, You'll Give Up Your Career And Go Into Hiding!
The Creeps: Live Or Die. Rock N' Roll Or Go Crazy. Glory Or A Mental Hospital. Your Choice!
The Creeps: You're Going To Be Placed In A Home For Unworthy Rock Stars Because Of Your Mediocre Success!
The Creeps: You Can Play In The Mental Hospital If You Want! We Can Create A Special Performance Hall Where You Can Live And Play Your Music!
The Creeps: We're Not Your Friends. We're Not Your Family. We're Not Even The Bloodthirsty Spectators At A Thrill Kill. We're The Jailors That Put You There. And We're Not Letting You Back Out. This Is Your Home Now. Your Room Is Just Down The Hall. You've Got A Few Hours To Get Used To The Idea And Your New Room And Hallways. Then We'll Lock You In For Good. Remember This Is A Psychiatric Ward. People Don't Just Go Walk In The Facilities. It's Not Like At A Jail. Attempts At Escaping Only Lead To A More Brutal Detention. So You've Been Warned. Live Or Die. Rock N' Roll Or Go Crazy. Glory Or The Psych Ward. Your Choice!
The Creeps: You're Dead!
The Creeps: But Your Music Will Live On Because It's The Best Thing Ever!
They say the series really went off the rails after the first few...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Horror Thread: The Creeps: They're Inside Your Mom!

A lot of those titles are also perfect Rob Zombie song titles... The Dead Girl From Mars, The Ghoulery of Satan, The Corpse with the Hands of a God, Slave To The Hellbound Train, The Hands That Scream

I was really tickled by "A Bunch of Heads". It's just so blunt, like it's the kind of title an 8 year old would call the horror movie they shot with their friends on a camcorder.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

That reminds me of the time a couple of years ago I got bored at work one afternoon and came up with a bunch of fake movie titles, I tried to cover as many genres as I could and it was surprisingly not too difficult once I got into the rhythm of it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tag yourself I'm suture dissect torture kill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I want to see Pranks of the Living Dead.