Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

congratulations on having a normal, expected experience with subnautica

Only reason I don't straight up uninstall is that my kid is super into the rocket I'd halfway built. So I guess at some point (after wasting an hour trying to jump + grapple out of the lava castle) I have to portal up top, get enameled glass/stalker teeth (don't have any) then deploy a mobile vehicle bay at 1200m down (maybe in a moonpool? Can I do this?) And put in the depth upgrade immediately. All this so that I can take the prawn to the ion cube deposit at the final spot, where it will probably glitch out again but I won't care so long as I can get cubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Joan posted:

Why is every seatruck module fragment for the aquarium! Argh

The aquarium is a fantastic module early game, as it automatically catches food for you!
The other modules are generally deeper down. Game really wants you to get aquarium early, especially since it gets much less useful once you're growing and desalinating your food and water.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I never used thermal reactors nor did I even find nuclear reactors. Bioreactors lasted the entire playthrough, were relatively cheap, and were trivially easy to keep online. I put down two solar panels on my main base at the start and never used them elsewhere.

Power was strange in this game.

like 4-5 solar panels gives you all the power you could ever reasonably need unless you're going hard on ion cells

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yinlock posted:

like 4-5 solar panels gives you all the power you could ever reasonably need unless you're going hard on ion cells

If you’re shallow enough, and it’s daytime. I have my base in the lily pads, ended up building a platform as high up as I could, and then running power lasers down to the base. But it still cuts out at night. Nukes solve everything.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
On the other hand, nukes are loud as gently caress. I had to redesign my second base just so the reactor was a few rooms away from everything else, to keep the noise down

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

On the other hand, nukes are loud as gently caress. I had to redesign my second base just so the reactor was a few rooms away from everything else, to keep the noise down

I initially put mine in a normal, sensible location which was a huge mistake. Ended up dismantling it (which destroys the rods) just so that I could set up a new one. 4 consecutive tube sections attached to the far corner of by base just to reach it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yinlock posted:

i prefer to build my main bases way too deep for solar to ever work. plus nukes are not hard to make in either game.

that does sorta remind me, the one thing i can say in beyond zero's favor is that i like that you get the recipes for ion batteries and power cells at a point where you can actually make use of them. slapping an ion battery into the seaglide felt like magic. i always thought it was loving dumb as poo poo that you can't make them until far past the point of relevance in the original game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i prefer to build my main bases way too deep for solar to ever work. plus nukes are not hard to make in either game.

that does sorta remind me, the one thing i can say in beyond zero's favor is that i like that you get the recipes for ion batteries and power cells at a point where you can actually make use of them. slapping an ion battery into the seaglide felt like magic. i always thought it was loving dumb as poo poo that you can't make them until far past the point of relevance in the original game.

Default small battery charger in BZ is huuuuuuge considering my screenshot memories of "Pile of laser cutter fragments inside a sealed laser cutter accessible only hunk of wreckage" also had three or four battery charger fragments doubling down on fragment RNG hating you, and some playthroughs of the base game being "Time to drag my cyclops and prawn to the deepest location in the game... oh hey, I finally unlocked the battery charger to go with my power cell charger"

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mastershakeman posted:

Only reason I don't straight up uninstall is that my kid is super into the rocket I'd halfway built. So I guess at some point (after wasting an hour trying to jump + grapple out of the lava castle) I have to portal up top, get enameled glass/stalker teeth (don't have any) then deploy a mobile vehicle bay at 1200m down (maybe in a moonpool? Can I do this?) And put in the depth upgrade immediately. All this so that I can take the prawn to the ion cube deposit at the final spot, where it will probably glitch out again but I won't care so long as I can get cubes

Why would you need to do this?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

McCracAttack posted:

I've seen console games crash like three times in my life. Two of those crashes happened this week playing Subnautica: Below Zero on PS5. I'll take the pop-in from the first game back if it means no more crashes and lost progress.

I take it you never played the console version of The Witcher 3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Man if you're having a bad time, google the console commands, craft yourself the depth module or spawn whatever it is you need so you can skip doing all this poo poo you hate and still let the kiddo get the rocket payoff. IIRC when you get to the end-game area there's a cube or whatever around anyway and the tele stuff let's you get here and there and back pretty easy?

You can build a moonpool down there, I remember building one because I wanted a place to chill outside bowsers castle and charge my prawn though wasn't like I was going to really run out of power.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

uXs posted:

Why would you need to do this?

My prawn got glitched in the lava castle area and thinks it's on land. It can't grapple or jump much even with upgrades

So I spent an hour going to get the materials I needed, made a new prawn, slapped in the depth module from the old one. Yay!
Then put in the other 5 mods I had. They all disappeared
Prawn still worked so I scanned for and made drilling arm

Took it down to containment facility,got right near the cube deposit, and it glitched again and can't move at all. So i guess I either make a third one or try making a grappling arm to pull it forward a few inches

I need 3? 5? (Haven't done the math) ion cubes to open a portal and finish the rocket parts to beat the game

I couldn't get dev commands to work on the PS4 , sadly. Maybe I should gently caress with them again. For reference I had 2 cubes, met the emperor, got 1 in her lair, and still need 3 I think

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 30, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Oh right. Yeah, the Prawn in the alien bases is the buggiest poo poo of all time, it always gets stuck. Most of the time you can get it going again with the grappling arm, and/or the jump jet upgrade.

Pretty sick that the devs just left it like this, it's the worst.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

I take it you never played the console version of The Witcher 3.

No I haven't. I hear Cyberpunk could up that total too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

uXs posted:

Oh right. Yeah, the Prawn in the alien bases is the buggiest poo poo of all time, it always gets stuck. Most of the time you can get it going again with the grappling arm, and/or the jump jet upgrade.

Pretty sick that the devs just left it like this, it's the worst.
"Why do I do this again? You know it is the end of the game not like I need to drill the-"
*Friend tells me about being eaten by sea dragon no-clipping inside alien base*
"Oh right, that is why I spend as much time possible indoors still in the prawn suit"

Though the whole cyclops getting warped into the final mountainside one time was a lot worse :v:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

You could just use the console to spawn some ion cubes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mastershakeman posted:

My prawn got glitched in the lava castle area and thinks it's on land. It can't grapple or jump much even with upgrades

So I spent an hour going to get the materials I needed, made a new prawn, slapped in the depth module from the old one. Yay!
Then put in the other 5 mods I had. They all disappeared
Prawn still worked so I scanned for and made drilling arm

Took it down to containment facility,got right near the cube deposit, and it glitched again and can't move at all. So i guess I either make a third one or try making a grappling arm to pull it forward a few inches

I need 3? 5? (Haven't done the math) ion cubes to open a portal and finish the rocket parts to beat the game

I couldn't get dev commands to work on the PS4 , sadly. Maybe I should gently caress with them again. For reference I had 2 cubes, met the emperor, got 1 in her lair, and still need 3 I think

man you might have taken away my crown of 'had the shittiest, most hosed-up experience with subnautica', well done

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's extremely good that the prawn is required to get the drillable ion cube but also the prawn has a 90% chance to somehow get stuck on the perfectly flat terrain after each and every frame it spends in that area

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My prawn got stuck in the castle too, except that it somehow got sucked into the wall. I was inside the wall, unmovable, and any extended attempt to move caused me to rocket through and then off the map several thousand kilometers. It took numerous reloads to get the console command to warp to the safe shallows entered before the rocketing happened, because once I started flying through the map the console stopped working.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I went back to the original and the lack of an auto move key is incredibly jarring after playing BZ. I still can't believe they never patched that in.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
(Original game) Lost a second Seamoth to it deciding to just clip into the ground while I was away from it. Decided to just reload this time, cause wasted time was easier to bear than wasted resources, especially since I fully upgraded it.

On a related note, it's ridiculous how much deep-sea exploration is gated off until you find the Vehicle Upgrade console. My Seamoth went straight from no depth upgrades to a maxed-out one, and now I'm comfortably cruising around at 900m.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The sequel was the opposite, I had higher level depth modules for Prawn and Seamoth built before I even had the plans for either.

I wish we could mod in the ship from Outer Wilds, but at that point I'm just wishing for a LandSpaceSubnautica

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah I never even made the Vehicle Upgrade console in BZ. I feel like in Subnautica I spent a lot of time searching and teching up but in BZ I had all this poo poo I didn't need to build ever. I never even found the highest tier O2 tank. Never built a prawn suit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ymgve posted:

I am currently using this layout, and the reactor is JUST audible from within Control, and completely inaudible from the scanner, the main area, or the moon pool.

Also that base is actually orange, like my truck, but the area's lighting is overwhelming:

I actually have the whole base perched on a cliff, makes for nice access to the moon pool with my truck:

It's a small base, but it has what I need. :shobon:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I am currently using this layout, and the reactor is JUST audible from within Control, and completely inaudible from the scanner, the main area, or the moon pool.

Also that base is actually orange, like my truck, but the area's lighting is overwhelming:

I actually have the whole base perched on a cliff, makes for nice access to the moon pool with my truck:

It's a small base, but it has what I need. :shobon:

I built 3 bases in below zero. One is Multi purpose room with a hatch, a fabricator, 3 battery chargers, an upgrade stations and a recycler. The walls contained as many lockers as it could possibly hold. Next to that was my second base. A moon pool attached to a multi purpose room with my plants. The third base was next to delta island, where I built a scanner room to find the sweet materials I am sure were nearby and picked up jack poo poo.

I never get the truck storage module or the fabricator module until I already had all of the materials to make the final descent. I never really needed any of that crap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I never really needed any of that crap.

My base has a jukebox and it is Necessary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I absolutely, 100% did not even use the bed after I made it, let alone the posters, windows, aquariums, etc. Subnautica bases are identical to Minecraft bases for all intents and purposes.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ooohh, are we showing off pointless endgame bases?

The base I beat the game with was three disconnected rooms; two multipurpose, one moon pool, with a foundation outside for growbed right beside the pod.

The base I built for funsies afterwards was this monstrosity... and yes those are support pillars for the bits sticking out over the edge of the cliff:

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Finished it. Overall I liked it.

I didn't hate the land parts that much but the second time I had the hardest time trying to get to that Tree area again.

The actually world felt more realistic than the first. Like there weren't any hard edges around the biomes.

Didn't have the same sense of wonder as the first though. For some reason I find the original reaper more scarier than any of the new creatures. After I found the Sea Truck defense system I would chase them down as soon as I saw them.

I didn't mind the Sea Truck at all. Went with a Storage Module and Pawn Suit dock for most of the game. Felt good to drive to me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've been scouring the Mercury II wreck sites and can only seem to find 3/4 prawn suit fragments. This is driving me nuts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Bad Munki posted:

I've been scouring the Mercury II wreck sites and can only seem to find 3/4 prawn suit fragments. This is driving me nuts.

If only there was a map somewhere.

Prawn: And if that map had labels. One of which sounds like a prawn would be useful for

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I absolutely, 100% did not even use the bed after I made it, let alone the posters, windows, aquariums, etc. Subnautica bases are identical to Minecraft bases for all intents and purposes.

Same but I'm still going to build the toilet and sink and some other new decorative stuff I found. Minecraft should just do a water update and add Subnautica depths and sealabs, get on it Mr Windows.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I got hit by a weird glitch that launched me into the air like a rocket, going 100 miles an hour, and I wasn't sure if I would land out of bounds or in a place that would mess up my progression. So I quit without saving, then realized I had lost an hour during which I went on a major expedition and made huge progress. Now I don't have the will to continue playing, or living

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

Each site that contains prawn suit fragments always has just one less than needed to complete it. I got my last fragment from the Mercury II wreck.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I got all the prawn suit fragments from Koppa Mining Site.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Khanstant posted:

Minecraft should just do a water update

It did, years ago.

quote:

and add Subnautica depths and sealabs, get on it Mr Windows.

You’ll need mods for this tho

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where are the prawn suit upgrades? Grapple arm I’m looking for below zero.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LionArcher posted:

Where are the prawn suit upgrades? Grapple arm I’m looking for below zero.

Sea monkey nests in the crevices underneath the Lilypads.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do fragments randomly spawn? I put my base on the ledge above said nests and I wonder if it’d actually be possible to clear out all fragments within range of my 4x scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It did, years ago.
You’ll need mods for this tho

Yeah I've seen Minecraft's water areas and oceans, they need to try again.