Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Russia and Britain almost went to war over the steppe several times but even then the chiefs they kept conquering and forcing to sign treaties kept saying “why would you this,
There is nothing here “

No they didn't. The only potential conflict points were Afghanistan and NepalTibet, neither of which could possibly be described as steppe.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
There's plenty of steppe in afghanistan. Probably like a third of it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I quite like this way of viewing population density.

I like how Egypt is just the blazing red of the Nile surrounded by nothing.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Step Zone" is my competition step team's name

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Help me steppe bro, I'm stuck

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Plz no steppe

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

steppe on me mommy

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Even the longest journey starts with a simple steppe

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Byzantine posted:

I like how Egypt is just the blazing red of the Nile surrounded by nothing.

Always has been, too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Saladman posted:

That's much more clear in some ways, and less clear in others. Like the map I posted shows northern Namibia much more clearly; roughly half the population of the country is in a narrow band just north of Etosha Pan and on the border with Angola once called "Ovamboland" and which despite being quite small compared to the country, contains 4 of its 14 current national regions. Alternately Luanda is much more clear in the one you posted.

I guess that's why no one visualization is best, assuming they are both using the same basic data, which they might not be.

Those are also weird state breakdowns in the map you posted, as they don't really correspond with national internal borders. [E: never mind, just read the legend, now I see why, drat that must have been a lot of work, hope the mapmaker was paid for that.]

It's amazing how populated Nigeria is and always has been, even compared to its similar-climate neighbors. I wonder why that is. Stronger governments and more resistant to slavery? Or stronger governments that were more resistant to massive inter-state/inter-tribe warfare that killed everyone off (and sold the rest into slavery)?

Ethiopian highlands and the Great Lakes area make sense, as they're high altitude, good climate for growing stuff, and due to the altitude, resistant to many horrible tropical diseases.

its mostly a function of the niger and benue rivers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That west TX/east NM "february" blob got bombarded with rain and snow starting october last year and continuing to the present. Previous year was similar but less so. Year before that, similar but even less so.

I'm sure the climate is fine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
doublepost because this comes into my head an embarrassing amount and all map thread readers deserve it too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHsKdpPTPk&t=116s

We are the eighty-five federal subjects of the Russian Federation...

Also I'm obligated to say the best one is Altay Kray

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
It comes into mine every month or so since it was posted somewhere here before.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

doublepost because this comes into my head an embarrassing amount and all map thread readers deserve it too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHsKdpPTPk&t=116s

We are the eighty-five federal subjects of the Russian Federation...

Also I'm obligated to say the best one is Altay Kray

drat it, I had almost purged that thing from my brain's earworm collection.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if there's an actual separatist movement in Åland. I guess I could research it but actually no-one cares as long as we get their freezer fries.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I do like how Budapest is the only region that is most attached to Europe.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The basque one is great. I'm guessing a massive quantity of respondants didn't want to seem like sepratists, as that is the connotation of "attachment to region" in that area

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The ETA has some good ideas.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I think the regions less attached to country are in general border regions. I guess is easier to disagree with "my country is the best of the world" when you can drive a few km and find a country that do a number of things better.

The vasque country case is hilarious. My theory was that the questions where poorly tailored for them. I know a few anarco-capitalist from pais vasque, they are just complex/paradoxical people politically. Theres even leftist nationalist.. how can you be that?

Too bad they did not asked in england.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm glad they use the old french regions. Alsace has a hella regional identity but ain't nobody feeling patriotic for Grand Est.

Although I'd like to see it with the new regions too, mostly because of the barely-sensible conglomerations while also doing poo poo like Brittany remaining divided while Alsace is shoved in with Champagne.

e: something something Champagne region of France, otherwise it's just sparkling separatism

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tei posted:

I think the regions less attached to country are in general border regions.

Depends highly on who's behind the border, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The map isn’t terribly surprising in that it generally highlights regions with a well known history of having an independent streak. The general Basque area, The old Venetian territories, Brittany, Catalonia, Bavaria, Schleswig-Holstein, etc. What I don’t get are things like Budapest or that patch in I want to say Bulgaria?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

galagazombie posted:

The map isn’t terribly surprising in that it generally highlights regions with a well known history of having an independent streak. The general Basque area, The old Venetian territories, Brittany, Catalonia, Bavaria, Schleswig-Holstein, etc. What I don’t get are things like Budapest or that patch in I want to say Bulgaria?
If I had to guess, the Budapest thing is at least partially a reaction to being an island of pro-Europe social democrats in a sea of proto-fascists. Hard to identify with your country when its values are antithetical to yours, and being pro-EU rather than identifying with your region isn't super surprising for an urban area.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah, I’d also guess that Budapest being pro-EU is mostly to be understood as a reaction to the Orban government. I don’t know a lot about Bulgaria but the more regionalist part seems to correspond to the Rhodopes massif, a sparsely populated mountainous region with a large Muslim, Turkish-speak speaking population

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A bunch of them are simply the regions having a strong own culture or identity that differs in significant ways from the country's main culture. Such as the places in the Benelux, as well as Brittany. Probably Bavaria as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wonder how east Germany would look if you allowed it to be counted as a region in itself. I've become really good online friends with someone from Halle and she gives 0 shits for Sachsen-Anhalt specifically but identifies very strongly as an easterner even though she was born well into reunification. I'd almost say she loathes the west.

Although now I wonder if any germans have stereotypes about Sachsen-Anhalt. I'm decently familiar with Germany, BaWü is where my inbred cousins live and the only state I've actually been to, Bavaria is Bavaria, Sachen proper is where everyone speaks kamelåså-tier moon gibberish, etc, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about Sachsen-Anhalt.

e: speaking of it absolutely tracks that the Baden part of BaWü is all "we're german so what" and the WürttembergWiirdebäärg part is all "we are proud inheritants of ancient swabian glory"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 5, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wonder how east Germany would look if you allowed it to be counted as a region in itself. I've become really good online friends with someone from Halle and she gives 0 shits for Sachsen-Anhalt specifically but identifies very strongly as an easterner even though she was born well into reunification. I'd almost say she loathes the west.

Honestly, I have a feeling that this might already be the case, and they just generally asked "do you identify more with the country or the region?" without specifying the region they mean.

Like, this is just a guess but if you look at Zeeland, the most southwest province of the Netherlands:

It wouldn't surprise me if people identify more with their specific island than with the province as a whole, even though the original map shows provinces as regions.

As a side note, Zeeland is the old one New Zealand is named after.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Although now I wonder if any germans have stereotypes about Sachsen-Anhalt. I'm decently familiar with Germany, BaWü is where my inbred cousins live and the only state I've actually been to, Bavaria is Bavaria, Sachen proper is where everyone speaks kamelåså-tier moon gibberish, etc, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about Sachsen-Anhalt.

e: speaking of it absolutely tracks that the Baden part of BaWü is all "we're german so what" and the WürttembergWiirdebäärg part is all "we are proud inheritants of ancient swabian glory"

Re: Baden, that's a bit strange to me because I lived in south Baden for a while and the people there are definitely out and proud regionalists, I've got fond memories of sitting in the stadium at Freiburg matches and singing along with tens of thosands people going "Der Schwab muss raus, der Schwab muss raus, der Schwab muss raus aus dem Badnerland, die Sau!". Maybe it's because the region as used by the map also includes large paths of Schwaben territory which cancelled each other out?

I don't think there are any stereotypes about Sachsen-Anhalt as a whole, it is one of those states haphazardly cobbled together within living memory after all but with the added drawback that none of its constituent parts had any significant regional identity either - so I guess regional identities there are really local (Altmark, or maybe the Harz mountains), if that at all. The stereotypes about Sachsen-Anhalt today are, if anything, stereotypes that are being applied to (rural) Eastern Germany as a whole, i.e. sparsely populated, nazis, poor, wolves howling in the forests, run-down villages but really nice Autobahnen etc.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I sort of assumed that Sicily would have more regional attachment.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm glad they use the old french regions. Alsace has a hella regional identity but ain't nobody feeling patriotic for Grand Est.

It uses the Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics level 2 division of whatever time period the survey was conducted in. It's a bit unfortunate, since it completely blots out regional identities in sparsely populated countries where the NUTS 2 regions are several regions duct-taped together into a statistical unit.

E.g. Ostrobothnia is the Texas of Finland, but you can hardly tell. Though the sample size is likely tiny as well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd love to see that map for North America. Along with some clarity as to what exact question was asked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Count Roland posted:

I'd love to see that map for North America.

:quebec::hf::texas:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I'd love to see that map for North America. Along with some clarity as to what exact question was asked.

There is a similar chart for Canada at least:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tei posted:

I think the regions less attached to country are in general border regions. I guess is easier to disagree with "my country is the best of the world" when you can drive a few km and find a country that do a number of things better.

The vasque country case is hilarious. My theory was that the questions where poorly tailored for them. I know a few anarco-capitalist from pais vasque, they are just complex/paradoxical people politically. Theres even leftist nationalist.. how can you be that?

Too bad they did not asked in england.

Scotland and Bretagne have a bunch of leftist nationalists. The common thread seems to be right wing national governments who don’t give a gently caress about you and may want to kill you.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Carbon dioxide posted:

As a side note, Zeeland is the old one New Zealand is named after.

a cursed, garbage place named after a cursed, garbage place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

There is a similar chart for Canada at least:

I'm surprised Quebec's provincial rating isn't higher. Also confirming Manitoba as the worst province.

It also shows that a lot of these attitudes are overlapping. People from Newfoundland feel loyal to their country, province and local community at higher levels than normal.