Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Nobody should listen to, think about, write about or otherwise engage with math rock however

im going t o destrou you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ydFHebKgQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gaius Marius posted:

For what reason? I don't agree with him a lot, but he's pretty insightful when I listen to him. He can clearly state the why of why he dislikes something and can explain how a system works, something most games journalists completely fail at.

He's no troy goodfellow though

In the sense that things that get him excited to talk about games are not the kinds of things I enjoy while playing games. I've found that for whatever reason to my ear he's very persuasive when he talks about games and I've been burned on a couple of purchases because he talked glowingly about games that I didn't end up liking.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh i only picked music because i have terminal music brain so its easier fo rme to relate it lol

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Except for the very loud and angry minority that sends death threats to reviewers for not giving perfect marks to their favorite multi-million dollar franchise, does anyone really read or care about reviews?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i will say a lot of the game reviewer ppl on websites are probably much better at reviewing video games than the youtubers who make 8 hour long videos of rambling horseshit that doesn't matter but then puts 'critique' in the title to try and make it sound fancy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't found any reviewers with tastes sufficiently close to mine to be useful to me so I just ask goons about games

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Except for the very loud and angry minority that sends death threats to reviewers for not giving perfect marks to their favorite multi-million dollar franchise, does anyone really read or care about reviews?

developers, i guess, because bonuses can be tied to metacritic scores.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The general quality of game reviewing is markedly worse than the reviewing around other types of media when you look at the most prominent venues for this kind of criticism. This is primarily due to contextual factors that limit who ends up doing this work, and further limit the quality of the work:

1.The review of books, films, theatre, music, art, etc. derive from traditions that focused on refined aesthetic sensibility on the part of critics. The legacy of games reviews is from consumer reports on computer software as established in enthusiast magazines from the 1980s that prioritized technical factors, with the question of "fun" retrofitted as a quasi-technical consideration. This has resulted in a different prioritization of what people expect should be discussed in a game review.
2. Rather than the couple hours it might take to watch a film or listen to an album, or even the 8-10 hours to read a typical novel, many AAA games (the ones that mostly get reviewed in publication spaces) are 20 hours or more. Even when publications are able to give reviewers the proper time to experience the work, this still pushes reviewers into a grinding mentality that limits the possibilities for reflection or exploration, and because games are interactive, this context actually shapes how they play the game and what experiences they can have to write about. In any case, lots of reviewers don't have that time, because
3. Game publishers are actively hostile to reviewers in ways that the distributors of other media are not. The trend among publishers has been to narrow the window of when review codes for games are sent out -- if they even send them out as all, as many publishers have realized there's no upside to working with publications when they have strong PR influence and social media/streamers to deliver their preferred message. When publishers do work with reviewers, there are extremely strict embargos that limit the range of what reviewers can mention, which severely limits the potential for a thorough discussion. (The release day reviews of RE8 were not allowed to mention the boss fights or "Ethan's story")
4. Game audiences are actively hostile to reviewers in ways that fans of other media (excepting "geek media" where this energy comes from) are not. Many people who have done game reviews have talked about how doing almost anything else at all was more fulfilling, because if a reviewer writes or rates anything outside of the window set by pre-release hype, this opens them up to online harassment from disgruntled gamers. This turns away potentially insightful critics who don't want to deal with managing receiving death threats in all their socials as an unpaid part of the job. It also introduces significant churn, as even those who do review games rarely stick with it for more than a few years, which again limits how much the reviewer's sensibilities and skill sets can be developed.

yeah this is all correct. Especially points 1 and 4, where you have an audience that has grown up with game reviews as consumer purchasing advice butting heads with publications trying to grow beyond that. I mean, games are way more expensive and time consuming than films or whatever, so it's complicated, but you've got audiences who want games to be respected as art but don't want games criticism to function like arts criticism.

i'd also add in that unless you're writing for the top 2 or 3 video game websites, for the website publishing your work to turn a profit, your writing needs to be so aggressively SEO optimized that there's no room for any writing that's in any way meaningful or idiosyncratic.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Dangan Ronpa? I watched a video of the executions n poo poo but this just kinda seems sociopathic and creepy.

Social critique, mystery and interesting characters were the intent

The writer went on at some length about his disdain for all the knockoffs that were just about the elaborate death traps and the fans who disregarded everything else.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i gues we can all agree gamers must be stopped

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Andrast posted:

I don't think there is anything a music review could do to make me gain any value from it

Really? You've never had someone's writing influence how you appreciate a piece of music?

It takes talent to put this stuff into words, but musical criticism is as valid as any, imo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you can put a gamer down but you can never be sure how many more lives they still have

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gamers die twice...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Really? You've never had someone's writing influence how you appreciate a piece of music?

It takes talent to put this stuff into words, but musical criticism is as valid as any, imo.

literally no

My affinity for music goes as far as "sounds good so I like it" and nothing deeper than that. I'm not saying that musical criticism isn't valid, just that it has no value for me personally.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I definitely "get" what's "going down" here today

It's definitely "not" alienating

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Simone Magus posted:

very cool posting love to see whatever the gently caress this is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Simone Magus posted:

what

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what's going down here, is people are having a civil and friendly disagreement on what games reviews should be and whether or not reviews as they exist are that

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't found any reviewers with tastes sufficiently close to mine to be useful to me so I just ask goons about games

Goons in general have pretty good taste imo, I have a much better time asking if a game is good here than going to reviews

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just want to say something I've thought about a lot lately and had to learn for myself over time. The internet and it's discourse are not your friends. You can have friends online, and you can even make friends online, but the internet, and the forums, cannot be your friend. It cannot be your support network. It cannot be an unshakeable relationship to ground you, it cannot be a safe space. Like quicksand, the harder you struggle to make it these things the faster you will sink. Take what you can from the internet to enrich your life, but do not make it your life.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Simone Magus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U18EuNN2D0

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Neon Genesis Evangelion 5.55: It’s Definitely (Not) Alienating

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Chronic fatigue kicking in, gonna pass out sometime soon, but I wanna post real quick to let everyone know I hope your day is going well and be good to each other. if your day's not going well I know it'll get better sooner than later, just take some rest if you can and it's all gonna be fine in the end.

stay gold

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My current story based game I am playing on PC is Solasta Crown of the Magister, but i'm leaning towards not really liking it. Story is just too basic. What I do like is the Dungeons & Dragons 5.1 edition ruleset that it uses, and follows very closely. You also get to create your own 4 person party. It feels like you're playing the actual pen & paper game but solo, and the game itself is the dungeon master who is pretty new to being a DM.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Chronic fatigue kicking in, gonna pass out sometime soon, but I wanna post real quick to let everyone know I hope your day is going well and be good to each other. if your day's not going well I know it'll get better sooner than later, just take some rest if you can and it's all gonna be fine in the end.

stay gold

I am watching good Twitch streams today, and playing video games. I saw friends yesterday, and that was really nice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

In the sense that things that get him excited to talk about games are not the kinds of things I enjoy while playing games. I've found that for whatever reason to my ear he's very persuasive when he talks about games and I've been burned on a couple of purchases because he talked glowingly about games that I didn't end up liking.

That's fair. Him being persuasive I think is mostly a function of him actually being able to create a coherent argument and discuss a game without resorting to banal non phrases. E.g. Game rear end game

I feel the same way with Austin Walker, He's got a good mind for analyzing media and is able to talk about it in a persuasive and elucidating manner. The games he likes just happen to be ones I find very very boring. Luckily Invisble inc was only like ten dollars.

Arzaac posted:

Goons in general have pretty good taste imo, I have a much better time asking if a game is good here than going to reviews

I've never been burned harder than goons telling me Archer was funny. Absolute terrible series

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is planet zoo good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

is planet zoo good

I've enjoyed it, just making exhibits in sandbox mode, so I don't have to stress too much about money and staffing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

stay gold

happy monday fak. i'm doing alright, just playing some sonic colors and enjoying not having to work today thanks to some dead people

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

stay gold

Thanks FAK, have a good sleep!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

"yeah" ":hmmyes:"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

My current story based game I am playing on PC is Solasta Crown of the Magister, but i'm leaning towards not really liking it. Story is just too basic. What I do like is the Dungeons & Dragons 5.1 edition ruleset that it uses, and follows very closely. You also get to create your own 4 person party. It feels like you're playing the actual pen & paper game but solo, and the game itself is the dungeon master who is pretty new to being a DM.

I played it for a few hours and I'm starting to feel the same way. Mechanically it's fine but it lacks any kind of spark in its storytelling.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I've enjoyed it, just making exhibits in sandbox mode, so I don't have to stress too much about money and staffing.

sounds like cities skyline syndrome

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sick of hearing of cities skyline and wish for the days of "nissan skyline" instead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

is planet zoo good

We Bought a Planet Zoo

Edit: now thinking about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnuHSp19E8

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
have you thanked a video game troop today

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just pressed F right now but nothing happened

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
having your video game troop thank a troop would also be acceptable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Violen posted:

have you thanked a video game troop today
set my barracks to make infinite marines and send them directly into the enemy base. thank you for your services

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/halo/status/1399350204269215745?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

today I’d like to thank halo for his service

edit: poo poo