Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

At least we can all agree that the best dub of all time is Yu Yu Hakusho.

YYH does have an all time legendary dub and it's Exhibit A when people try to act like English Dubs only got good in the mid 2000s or something. I liked many dubs in the 90s and early 2000s.

But I don't think dubbing companies dub OP's much anymore and it makes me sad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JUZhF9Kx8

Also all the talk about dubs focuses on anime when we got stuff like Metal Gear Solid and many other big time Japanese games from "earlier" that hit it out of the park. Xenosaga Episode 1 was my second JRPG ever and together with Inuyasha (which is how I found out about XS1, I had recorded iY on my VCR and during it a commercial for Xenosaga came up) made me a lifelong lover of Japanese pop culture. I love both their dubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

the greatest anime industry story ive ever heard is the director of the big o being really obsessed with the fact that some random american anime industry guy had a big yard at his house, cause that isnt a thing at all in most japanese cities, you have to go really out into the sticks for people to have huge yards to themselves, so he asked to see his yard and it was like an old farmhouse so he had a tractor and everything so the director of the big o asked to ride his tractor, and then he got on it and yelled BIG TRACTOR, SHOWTIME and drove it around for like an hour.

CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD
YE HAAAAW

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fun hater posted:

480 mill+volumes of one piece have been sold. over 20 years ago the friends finale was the 4th most watched thing with 51 mil. neither of these take into account pirating or streaming but im going to guess, again, the currently running and largest selling comic in the world for 20+ years is knocking the tits off a sitcom that ended in 2004.

for some reason my coworkers dont appreciate those numbers or how kickass impel down arc was

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

fatherboxx posted:

for some reason my coworkers dont appreciate those numbers or how kickass impel down arc was

fail coworkers....my condolences...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Friends is bad and so is One Piece. Watch Golden Girls

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

YYH does have an all time legendary dub and it's Exhibit A when people try to act like English Dubs only got good in the mid 2000s or something. I liked many dubs in the 90s and early 2000s.

There'd be a good video from somebody like the Cartoon Cipher about early good dubs. El-Hazard, You're Under Arrest!, Slayers (once Crispin Freeman takes over as Zelgadis), etc.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Mentioning dubs and Slayers and One Piece all in the same breath just makes me think of how Sanji and Xellos's voice actor sounded like Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Bros.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This One Piece/Friends slapfight is one of the silliest in the thread yet, where did it even come from

Like, how do you even compare them at all, it's Apples and Oranges.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Mentioning dubs and Slayers and One Piece all in the same breath just makes me think of how Sanji and Xellos's voice actor sounded like Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Bros.

Eric Vale (Sanji) is great and his ability to go from Sanji's normally raspy, scratchy voice to his high-pitched singsong voice when girls are around is always entertaining.

Dawgstar posted:

There'd be a good video from somebody like the Cartoon Cipher about early good dubs. El-Hazard, You're Under Arrest!, Slayers (once Crispin Freeman takes over as Zelgadis), etc.

I'd also love to see a video like that. Throw in Fushigi Yuugi! The man who would become Solid Snake as a prettyboy shojo male lead. Also a lot of the other "usual suspects" like Kirk Thornton or Richard Epcar but also people you don't hear enough anymore like Bridget Hoffman or Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn.

Okay many of the voices outside of these aren't very good but it worked for me. Nakago has such a badass voice, I think it was the dude who did the narration for Stardust Memory. These are like the only things I know him from.

Also I couldn't get into Slayers. I watched the one with Copy Rezo where they ended on fighting the all powerful little boy. Voice-acting I remember May from Pokemon was the main lady I think and Ash was the little girl with the hammer. I mainly watched it because a lot of folks on a forum I used to post on were super into it. But there's like a ton of stuff, LNs, manga, all the different anime... But just didn't hook me after I gave it a try.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

This One Piece/Friends slapfight is one of the silliest in the thread yet, where did it even come from

Something something nakama

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

RareAcumen posted:

https://youtu.be/QlE23i_1B8M

The newest episode of bizarre podcast:dogs must die just uploaded and Ironicus seems to pop in on the thread when a new episode drops so I wanted to ask while I've got a chance

https://youtu.be/IHq28o-R74A

At around 1:17:50 into episode 7 Chip and him are talking about annoying fandoms because Ironicus thought it was worse than just cooypasta-ing 'is that a Jojo reference?' when someone mentions Heirophant in a story, what was the other one? They never mentioned what the other property was.v

Hello my name is Grant and I enjoy Doctor Who and Star Wars. I enjoyed them both much more after heavily curating my interaction with fans. Anything you like has bad people, idiots, and just plain irritating people in its audience; so you're better off putting in a little work to find, or create, a space to connect that works for you! I hope Dogs Must Die might be a little pocket of that for Jojo likers. Same with all my fannish/media projects.

E:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Speaking of that the new episode is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlE23i_1B8M&t=3809s

It's got the audio from last weeks ep tho.

That's being fixed presently, check again in like 20 minutes, he just woke up. Thanks!

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 31, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

General Ironicus posted:

Hello my name is Grant and I enjoy Doctor Who and Star Wars. I enjoyed them both much more after heavily curating my interaction with fans. Anything you like has bad people, idiots, and just plain irritating people in its audience; so you're better off putting in a little work to find, or create, a space to connect that works for you! I hope Dogs Must Die might be a little pocket of that for Jojo likers. Same with all my fannish/media projects.

Speaking of that the new episode is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlE23i_1B8M&t=3809s

It's got the audio from last weeks ep tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zZaRH00Q54

New Game Dungeon: Echo

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Kim Justice posted:

For some reason Jamie Faith keeps promoting the Twitch streams done by the mod of this subforum even though that's not what this thread is about and "I'm sure One Piece is more popular than Friends" was one of her bon mots from the latest stream.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kim Justice posted:

It started with re-reading one of those Lily Orchard tweets again. The good news is this confirms that any of those dumb writing tip tweets can cause a bizarre multi-page debate, and there's over a hundred of them, so we can post a new one every time the thread gets slow and be flush in new, completely wild arguments for about a month.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lily Orchard's argument was flawed from the start because Friends is not a realistic slice of any person's life

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, it's not a derail if the bad media takes are coming from this thread, we're online after all!

But here, have another potentially derailing video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPHLsczY4k&hd=1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

Ah right, Star Wars and Doctor Who, I remembered you being a fan of the former from earlier Chipod Ironicast (and maybe Retsutalk?) episodes but I always thought of you as more of a Star Trek fan for some reason.

Yeah with those are being your prior experiences I can see why you'd be apprehensive about hearing that some other fandom is notoriously not great! But don't worry, I've long since learned to stop caring about the things I enjoy based on how loudly everyone else might be an idiot about it, it's shockingly easy to just enjoy things and not worry about someone else being annoying about liking it as well.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

muscles like this! posted:

I was rewatching an older RLM video this morning and something that struck me was just how much better their production quality is over like 99% of other youtubers. Just from simple stuff like having multiple cameras and not relying on autofocus.

I know this will sound reductive, but one of the key points for RLM versus most other shows is production and set design. In that they have it at all.

Your living room is designed for watching TV, not for filming people talking about it. It's very hard to have a space naturally suited for shooting and lighting video unless you're gifted with a huge open-concept house, and even then you're going to have to move furniture. This is also why cooking youtubers either end up remodeling their kitchen or setting up a shooting space in the garage - it's hard to get a camera to see what you want it to see if you don't, and that's on a tight close-up of food. Once you've got multiple people in a shot, you need space that may not exist for putting a camera if you want to use your actual living room.

When you start with an empty set and a camera in mind you can set that up, light and put the people where you want them to be and then fill out the rest of the set with details to avoid dead spots. When you start with an existing room you may not have that luxury. The single-YouTuber setup you can do - a Jenny Nicholson talking in front of a decorated bedroom, but once there's multiple cameras, people and any sort of movement and interaction in the set there's gonna be compromise.

The RLM people know this, which is why they build sets for even mundane locations; it's more flexible to work with. Also, Space Cop would never have the richness of story and universe without it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dias posted:

Hey, it's not a derail if the bad media takes are coming from this thread, we're online after all!

But here, have another potentially derailing video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPHLsczY4k&hd=1

Eh it seems pretty on point and in agreement with what people say in the thread here. The background on the political climate in early 20th century China is neat, and how she ties it into the shallow foundations of Korra's political state and statements.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Eh it seems pretty on point and in agreement with what people say in the thread here. The background on the political climate in early 20th century China is neat, and how she ties it into the shallow foundations of Korra's political state and statements.

Oh, I also agreed with it and thought it was very reasonable but Avatar-related stuff tends to get people riled up, haha.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

legend of korra needed more warlords, like Zhang Zongchang

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
LPL accepts a challenge of unpickable locks custom designed by another youtuber. They're actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecy1FBdCRbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2NY29iQdI

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

You should work with people in their 20s dude

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

Apples are better than oranges. Those citrusy bastards and the orange lobby can gently caress right off.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sorting Algorithms posted:

For some reason Jamie Faith keeps promoting the Twitch streams done by the mod of this subforum even though that's not what this thread is about

??? This thread is about online creators. Do streamers not count as online creators?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

??? This thread is about online creators. Do streamers not count as online creators?

I think the thread is kind of more presumed to be video essayist, reviewers, and idk "digestible informational video segment" creators? I feel like the reason you watch either are different enough to warrant a separate thread to post alongside livestreams.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think the thread is kind of more presumed to be video essayist, reviewers, and idk "digestible informational video segment" creators? I feel like the reason you watch either are different enough to warrant a separate thread to post alongside livestreams.

Have I got something for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg94KjclLJo

A day in the life of a enslaved lady's maid

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alaois posted:

legend of korra needed more warlords, like Zhang Zongchang
I only learned about this guy through Forgotten Weapons, so still on topic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol imagine reading the last ~5 pages and trying to argue that this thread is "about" anything. just lmao.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I only learned about this guy through Forgotten Weapons, so still on topic.

very excited about the chinese handgun book

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

RareAcumen posted:

Ah right, Star Wars and Doctor Who, I remembered you being a fan of the former from earlier Chipod Ironicast (and maybe Retsutalk?) episodes but I always thought of you as more of a Star Trek fan for some reason.

A mid-century science fiction franchise that’s continued to the present, reflecting changes in both popular concerns and methods of production? Doesn’t sound like anything I’d be into. Anyway, time to build another Gundam model.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Violet_Sky posted:

Have I got something for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg94KjclLJo

A day in the life of a enslaved lady's maid

This was very cool and educational :)

Sydin posted:

lol imagine reading the last ~5 pages and trying to argue that this thread is "about" anything. just lmao.

I meant in the sense of like "why did it start" but if you're going to take that stance then let's just drop all pretense and drop this thread into CCCC where it can argue about random things forever in a peaceful blue retirement pasture.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis continues his isometric CRPG series and here covers The Age of Decadence, a game made to pander to the sewer-dwellers from RPGcodex. He's not impressed with the juvenile behavior of the lead-developer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBt0qkrnzYA

"In Age of Decadence, the un-charismatic nerd is somehow a charmer. Perhaps a bit of wish-fulfillment on the part of the dev there."

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 31, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

stillvisions posted:

When you start with an empty set and a camera in mind you can set that up, light and put the people where you want them to be and then fill out the rest of the set with details to avoid dead spots. When you start with an existing room you may not have that luxury. The single-YouTuber setup you can do - a Jenny Nicholson talking in front of a decorated bedroom, but once there's multiple cameras, people and any sort of movement and interaction in the set there's gonna be compromise.

Composing shots is something I feel people don't have an appreciation for unless they've worked with video production.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Every time I read about that game it's so utterly apparent that it was developed for that particular crowd. The entire design ethos seems to be about littering the RPG character building mechanics with as many minefields and pitfalls as possible and if you don't build a certain way then playing to that build perfectly you'll get utterly destroyed.

I'm always on that quest to find a spiritual successor to Gothic where you start at the bottom of the barrel where acting like a jackass and action hero gets you whooped then slowly become a walking demi-god but some games just take it too far and replaces the "and then you become an engine of destruction, a supreme being that's unkillable" end-game with "eh, you went from scum to peon, you're still trash".

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 31, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

[Edit] Wrong thread whoops.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 31, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Hitting it off with a match, when I asked how they were holding up during the pandemic. Killed the conversation because I didn't notice they worked in health care and they immediately took offense to it.

Excuse me while I go walk into the sea. :negative:

EN forum is that way, bud.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sorting Algorithms posted:

even though that's not what this thread is about
everyone knows this is the thread for bickering about anime, zack snyder and star wars opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Every time I read about that game it's so utterly apparent that it was developed for that particular crowd. The entire design ethos seems to be about littering the RPG character building mechanics with as many minefields and pitfalls as possible and if you don't build a certain way then playing to that build perfectly you'll get utterly destroyed.

If nothing else the devs deserve props for basically saying as much on the steam page for the game, and pointing out that you should really try the demo before buying.