Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I think we can all agree that Canada should return the land it stole to the Native people and then they can make deals on whether the english and french should be allowed to settle on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

Mais l'idée prétendue de la solidarité blanche anglo-franco est risible. Les québecois sont beaucoup plus près des premières nations que des anglophones.

lmao non

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

how do you say "get out" en francais? vas-y dehors?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

Sacre ton camp

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think we can all agree that Canada should return the land it stole to the Native people and then they can make deals on whether the english and french should be allowed to settle on it.

I had a coworker who would joke that the only white people she trusted were the Scots, since they brought Bannock to the Natives of Canada

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Juul-Whip posted:

Va donc chier

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I had a coworker who would joke that the only white people she trusted were the Scots, since they brought Bannock to the Natives of Canada

Pictish Canada it is then, time to kick out all the englishmen

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

here's the land claims which have been agreed by the provinces. compare the land given back by quebec vs ontario.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Pictish Canada it is then, time to kick out all the englishmen

Unironically yes to this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

But the english! But the english! I continue to yell over the anguished cries of genocided victims families

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
What is this moon language

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Québécois complaining about being treated poorly sounds to me exactly like the white supremacists who say "black slaves didn't have it that bad. Irish were slaves too but you don't hear us whining about it".

Nothing but deliberately misunderstanding the past to be used as a method to silence the struggles of others or play victim themselves.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Beginning of May: "Hey gen X'ers take the AZ shot it's your moral imperative even though it's inferior to the over vaccines were handing out to people based solely on them being slightly older than you. You're a fool if you don't and deserve to be mocked and shamed."

End of May: "Hey gen X'ers the vaccine you took was so poo poo tier compared to the other ones we aren't even going to make sure you get a proper second dose just go take one of the other ones even though mixing vaccines apparently makes you feel so lovely you're supposed to plan time off for recovery. Also gently caress you for being upset about this."

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Québécois complaining about being treated poorly sounds to me exactly like the white supremacists who say "black slaves didn't have it that bad. Irish were slaves too but you don't hear us whining about it".

Nothing but deliberately misunderstanding the past to be used as a method to silence the struggles of others or play victim themselves.

lol quebec defending itself is white supremacy, noted

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

medieval french, complete with all the crap that was thrown out after centuries of refinement and guillotines

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

hmm I dunno, could it be one of Canada's official languages?

All I'm getting from this conversation is that if you are not the singular most oppressed group in existence, you should just shut your mouth.

I`m laughing at the posters telling French Canadians that they're "just like us anglos, we swear!!" in the same paragraph that they call them "discount Frenchmen" who speak a "moon language".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EvilJoven posted:

Beginning of May: "Hey gen X'ers take the AZ shot it's your moral imperative even though it's inferior to the over vaccines were handing out to people based solely on them being slightly older than you. You're a fool if you don't and deserve to be mocked and shamed."

End of May: "Hey gen X'ers the vaccine you took was so poo poo tier compared to the other ones we aren't even going to make sure you get a proper second dose just go take one of the other ones even though mixing vaccines apparently makes you feel so lovely you're supposed to plan time off for recovery. Also gently caress you for being upset about this."

lol oh come on

az is not really a poo poo vaccine. it is perhaps by some metrics less amazing a vaccine than the mrna options, say, but it’s actually ok and it’s rollout undoubtedly saved lives despite the risk of vitt

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Poutine sucks

nah I'm just kidding its ok

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Don Pigeon posted:

All I'm getting from this conversation is that if you are not the singular most oppressed group in existence, you should just shut your mouth.

I`m laughing at the posters telling French Canadians that they're "just like us anglos, we swear!!" in the same paragraph that they call them "discount Frenchmen" who speak a "moon language".

yeah i mean i don’t entirely agree with some of the sentiments regarding oppression as it stands today but making GBS threads on the french-speaking québécois in a thread discussing historical oppression of said groups and its effects today absolutely does not do those posts or posters any favours.

anyway i like seeing the french because i find it educational as it’s different than the french i learned

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's the second one, let's be honest.

I don't know why it needs to be a contest, or why anyone has to use someone else's casket as their own soapbox. Quebec absolutely was oppressed by the ROC. You can express this idea without invoking slavery or the holocaust

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Poutine sucks

nah I'm just kidding its ok

had the best poutine at some place in yul with beer-braised housemade sausages piled on top

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Don Pigeon posted:

its ok because québecois can be ridiculed, its traditional

quote:

Let us not forget that this was at a time when Acadians were warned to "speak white" when they spoke French in a store, a restaurant or any other business place.

This was a time when people changed their family names from Leblanc to White or from Aucoin to Wedge, in order to be able to find a job.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Paddy O'Riordan c'tun bon nom français, la

(for real, that story is good)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

EvilJoven posted:

Hell yeah 4 day weekend, I love vaccines

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

lol oh come on

az is not really a poo poo vaccine. it is perhaps by some metrics less amazing a vaccine than the mrna options, say, but it’s actually ok and it’s rollout undoubtedly saved lives despite the risk of vitt

Then why tf are they not ordering enough to ensure people like me get their proper second dose and are instead telling us to just get jabbed with whatever's available, even though they don't know what the long term outcomes are and also do know that it's highly likely to put me in bed with aches and chills for several days?

It was never the still miniscule yet much higher than first advertised risk of vitt that upset me, it's this bullshit were now seeing.

Gimme my second loving AZ shot so I at least get the immunity it's supposed to provide.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

glad we're finding new and interesting ways to out both the quebecois nationalists and antivaxxers in one morning

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we don't know the long term outcomes of the "good" vaccines either but all signs point to it being fine

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

actually land ownership is counter revolutionary and no one should own any land

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

the english took away french-canadians's right to property until the quebec act lmao
je ne suis pas un partisan ''die-hard'' de l'idée de la négritude blanche, mais je trouve la comparaison extrêmement apte à plusieurs niveaux. Je comprend la controverse du terme; j'en prend responsabilité. Mais l'idée prétendue de la solidarité blanche anglo-franco est risible. Les québecois sont beaucoup plus près des premières nations que des anglophones.

il faut comprendre que depuis la parution de ce livre, il y a eu bien des avancées. c’est clair que lorsque le livre a été écrit, il était d’actualité. je pense que ça reste bien de l’avoir comme preuve du passé: son texte et l’histoire de son auteur démontre bien la réalité différente de l’époque.

il reste bien des préjugés encore aujourd’hui de la part des anglos, mais je ne pense pas qu’il y aient bien des doutes quand à la place propriétaire maintenant occupé par les francos.

La révolution tranquille était le fruit de bien des années d’oppression, et il faudrait être un peu touché à la tête pour ne pas reconnaître les campagnes précédentes d’assimilation et de stérilisations forcées de la part des anglos; il faut juste tenir compte que le livre avait sa place lors de son écrit, mais aujourd’hui le contexte ne s’applique pas du tout avec la même mesure.

il y a des arguments bien plus modernes pour continuer le combat d’égalité entre les anglais et les français du Canada.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Francophones might be oppressed economically, but I can't find a decent steamé in Toronto so really who's the one suffering here??

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Then why tf are they not ordering enough to ensure people like me get their proper second dose and are instead telling us to just get jabbed with whatever's available, even though they don't know what the long term outcomes are and also do know that it's highly likely to put me in bed with aches and chills for several days?

It was never the still miniscule yet much higher than first advertised risk of vitt that upset me, it's this bullshit were now seeing.

Gimme my second loving AZ shot so I at least get the immunity it's supposed to provide.

i'm sorry your premier sucks, i guess? in ontario they stopped and saved their supply for the second doses which are already being administered.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

yeah thats definitely what i said

flakeloaf posted:

It's the second one, let's be honest.

I don't know why it needs to be a contest, or why anyone has to use someone else's casket as their own soapbox. Quebec absolutely was oppressed by the ROC. You can express this idea without invoking slavery or the holocaust

Exactly, having it bad doesn't mean you've had it bad in the same comparable way to people who have been routinely genocide'd

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

you know what, yeah. Considering Quebec brings the average Canadian racism to a whole new level, yeah it probably is.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

you know what, yeah. Considering Quebec brings the average Canadian racism to a whole new level, yeah it probably is.

[citation needed]

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Don Pigeon posted:

[citation needed]

not sure what else you would call a form of cultural nationalism by white people tbh

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
my dad in ontario just got his second dose of az last friday. now hes fully vaxxed months before anyone else in my family.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Don Pigeon posted:

[citation needed]

Oh you know, just that little niqab ban comes to mind right away

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Don Pigeon posted:

[citation needed]

The recent imposition of state sanctioned employment discrimination against certain groups seems like something

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Popoto posted:

il faut comprendre que depuis la parution de ce livre, il y a eu bien des avancées. c’est clair que lorsque le livre a été écrit, il était d’actualité. je pense que ça reste bien de l’avoir comme preuve du passé: son texte et l’histoire de son auteur démontre bien la réalité différente de l’époque.

il reste bien des préjugés encore aujourd’hui de la part des anglos, mais je ne pense pas qu’il y aient bien des doutes quand à la place propriétaire maintenant occupé par les francos.

La révolution tranquille était le fruit de bien des années d’oppression, et il faudrait être un peu touché à la tête pour ne pas reconnaître les campagnes précédentes d’assimilation et de stérilisations forcées de la part des anglos; il faut juste tenir compte que le livre avait sa place lors de son écrit, mais aujourd’hui le contexte ne s’applique pas du tout avec la même mesure.

il y a des arguments bien plus modernes pour continuer le combat d’égalité entre les anglais et les français du Canada.

I was not familiar with this particular piece of history. Not that Canada, broadly, has been less than enthusiastic with forced sterilizations. But I didn't know about any such practice in Quebec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Forced sterilizations of Indigenous people in Quebec, most definitely yes that did happen. But of Quebeckers themselves?